LEGO Star Wars 2016 Pictures and Rumors

UK Prices

75152 - Hovertank - £29.99

75153 - AT-ST - £39.99

75154 - TIE -£59.99

75155 - U Wing - £69.99

75156 - Krennic's Shuttle - £79.99

With buildable figures at £19.99

Krennic's Shuttle for £79.99? What a steal!!!!

Thanks to Fire117 for letting us know Smyths Ireland had the pricing - that let me find the products on Smyths UK. :)

Your very welcome.

The sets and prices have been listed on Argos website for a good few days.

The prices at Irish Argos store are higher than the prices in Smyths.

Australian prices:

Hovertank - $60

AT-ST - $80

TIE Striker - $110

U-Wing - $120

Krennic's Shuttle - $140

Ultrabuild figures - $40 each

Well, if you ask me... that picture of the inside of Krennic's ship looks real. If not, then they've got some excellent software to make LEGO capes act so realistically...

I especially found the stickers to look very realistic on that picture. Also, it has been mentioned that the studs are highly processed, even when it's a picture. To me, the studs look very natural in these pictures, and are actually one of the key differences to look for when trying to figure out if it's a photo or CG.

For instance, the box art of the BTTF DeLorean set contains a very jarring CG image of the car (I know it's been 3 years and that they got better at it, but compared to SW sets from 2013 it looks incredibly fake, as it does on its own).

Edited by JekPorkchops

Maybe I just don't know what to look for; that picture doesn't look overtly fake to me. :blush: I have no insider knowledge or anything to back this up, but it just looks like an extremely well lit photo that's been heavily retouched in certain places, such as the reflection on the Scala dish, as you said. Regarding the studs, they stand out more than I'd expect, now that you mention it. Maybe, since they're such a big part of TLG's branding, they were more heavily edited or replaced so that the logos would stand out more and they'd have more uniform shadows. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if some elements are rendered.

Since we're talking about this, I think it should be alright for me to share. I was one of the fans that helped with the Minecraft Micro World Cuusoo set, and during that process we got some behind-the-scenes knowledge. The promotional images such as these are definitely real, when they're renders it's pretty easy to tell (just look at some of the various promotional images for the Micro World sets and you'll see what I'm talking about). LEGO may have access to some pretty great rendering software, but it still doesn't compare to an actual model (though it's good enough to work as the images on the box, if you look at the Micro World box I think all of the images are renders). They had us send in some LDD models of alternate builds for the Micro World set, which they rendered, and even with just simple bricks, plates, and tiles like that, it's very easy to tell (though convincing at a glance).

Given how much harder it would be to render complex pieces such as these, I can say with almost complete confidence that these are images of an actual model, though they've definitely been edited afterwards.

Australian prices:

Hovertank - $60

AT-ST - $80

TIE Striker - $110

U-Wing - $120

Krennic's Shuttle - $140

Ultrabuild figures - $40 each

Not as horribly priced as I thought they'd be.

Just out of interest as we have lots of Aussies discussing their higher prices, are the Aussie $ prices shown inclusive of tax like the pound prices or like the American system where you pay additional tax on top of the retail price?

Well, the Hovertank price is rubbish (as was the Snowspeeder last year) but it gets less bad / better as the sets get bigger.

Well, the Hovertank price is rubbish (as was the Snowspeeder last year) but it gets less bad / better as the sets get bigger.

I don't get the analogy here...

I do know that the Snowspeeder last year is a shelf warmer but with respect to the new Hovertank I think it will do better as the tank design is more familiar and you get more varied minifigs included in the set.

I don't get the analogy here...

I do know that the Snowspeeder last year is a shelf warmer but with respect to the new Hovertank I think it will do better as the tank design is more familiar and you get more varied minifigs included in the set.

In case you were not aware, I was talking about the Australian price in relation to the US price. Both were/are $30USD and $60AUD. That is the worst that Lego price comparisons ever get, SW or otherwise. As the Rogue One sets get bigger, the price comparison is better.

Edited by Artanis I

In case you were not aware, I was talking about the Australian price in relation to the US price. Both were/are $30USD and $60AUD. That is the worst that Lego price comparisons ever get, SW or otherwise. As the Rogue One sets get bigger, the price comparison is better.

Oh... Now I understand. If you ever got to Thailand and the Philippines that is almost always the case and not just for Star Wars. I don't get why those stores, and by a large extent the distributors, jack up the price specially the smaller sets.

This is how lazy they have become; you can see the DUST on the original press release, which should say enough about this UCS:

[snip]

There! That's where the 200 extra pieces are!

Edited by Brickdoctor
Please don't quote images.

I am so sorry Australia. Ouch that is pricey. I will never complain about prices again, unless they get that bad.

For instance, the box art of the BTTF DeLorean set contains a very jarring CG image of the car (I know it's been 3 years and that they got better at it, but compared to SW sets from 2013 it looks incredibly fake, as it does on its own).

Sure but the existence of obviously-fake renders doesn't prove much. And let's remember that the Lego movie did a good job at looking like stop motion (granted, not for the same reasons).

Many people are actively working on Lego rendering afterall, working on fixing each clue that it's a render. For me, the biggest clues are molding lines & imperfections, that are generally not featured in 3D models of the parts. But such a collection of very HQ models is doable.

Then misaligned parts/building imperfections - many tools already do this, they generally do it wrong, but this is doable too.

The fabric looks very real, but still, fabric in 3D isn't new technology anymore.

I also looked for repetitions of textures (like, dust) - I couldn't find any in these pictures. However the few dust speckles look kinda misplaced, like on plain tiles (where they would be easy to digitally remove), instead of being where they usually are (in-between parts, where they're harder to remove).

I overlapped the shots of the minifigs that look like they all the same pose. They don't overlap, sign that they're real pictures. Yet, look at this part closely if you own one, it doesn't look like this at all (well, mine don't). And it doesn't look redone in 2D either.

horn.png

To me the biggest clue that it's not 3D is not that it's not doable today, but rather "why would they spend so much time doing that?".

Yet, I also wonder why they would spend so much time reworking real pictures this much. Especially if it's to make the end result look fake in many places.

Edited by anothergol

I never realized that the box art wasn't a real picture. I mean, obviously it's been photoshopped to have backgrounds and effects and stuff but I thought the models were real pictures, not CGI images.

Canadian prices:

Hovertank - $39.99

AT-ST - $49.99

TIE Striker - $89.99

U-Wing - $99.99

Krennic's Shuttle - $119.99

I didn't realize how expensive these sets were :sceptic:

Ultrabuild figures - $29.99 each

Edited by Ceroknight

I didn't realize how expensive these sets were :sceptic:

I think you've lost the right to complain with the Aussie prices having just been posted :P

Today I managed to get 75154, so I will try to make some review soon:)

How/where did you get it? Can we see a picture of it in hand at least?

Jumping 30$ from 70 US on the U-Wing? That's a first. That the same price difference for the Slave 1, a 200$ set.

I was expecting 120$ on the shuttle at worst, but 100$ for that U-Wing...

How/where did you get it? Can we see a picture of it in hand at least?

Probably some stores already sell them.

Hopefully someone will buy the U-Wing set,I really want to see how Jyn Erso's torso looks like.