Rick

10251 Brick Bank

Is anyone else bothered by the white pillars on the second floor being square on the edges, while round in the inside? Seems a bit off :S

Yes, now that you mention it. Looks uneven for the outer arches. I'd like to try all square radiator bricks which would better bring it into the 1930s period.

Wow. This is amazing! I must say - this might be the one that gets me into buying modulars. BB has become one of my favorites, along with the DO and PR!

The laundromat is very cute and IMO adds to the character of the build. It really feels like they went on a limb and did some experimentation with the placement of doors (this one is the first corner modular with the doors on a side instead of the corner) and, like the DO, building proportions (tiny laundromat and a large bank). All while still having colorful and detailed interiors and exteriors.

I think the Brick Bank looks okay, but I'm not really impressed; the Laundromat and the story just take away from what could've been a much larger majestic bank.

The set will still look great next to the colorful DO though :classic: .

I also think that without the laundromat that we could have had a much bigger bank where the 1st floor is big enough to include a small lobby with a couch/chairs to sit. And, I don't care for the way they left that empty space on the 2nd floor to look down on the 1st floor. It takes away space, but the detail and the design of the outside of the modular really makes me love it.

I think I will be getting 2 and modding it. I'll expand the bank to 32x32 and make the laundromat its own 16x16. For the bank, here is what I'm thinking:

-Push the bank back to envelop the laundromat, so it'll be symmetrical on both street facing sides.

-Have 2 skylights on the roof, second one where laundromat room stuff is.

-Move the vault to where the directors office is right now.

-Replace the assistants desk with the directors.

-Double the length of the teller windows and push them back, to the space currently occupied by the laundromat/vault.

-Add couchs and chairs in the lobby, maybe some potted plants as well.

What do you think? Anyone else planning similar mods? :classic:

-Move the vault to where the directors office is right now.

I can understand most of the changes you propose (even if I don't think they're necessary myself), but this one confuses me. Are there many banks with elevated vaults in real life? From my experience, most bank vaults are built on the ground level in part due to how heavily they're reinforced—many of them have walls cast in concrete, which is far too heavy to raise up (especially if there's nothing underneath to support it!). Then again, it's not like I'm an expert on banks...

Edited by Lyichir

I can't believe that by now we still don't have the designer video. Usually when an exclusive product is being revealed, it normally follows by a designer video. The Ghostbusters HQ set has been revealed for a day or two now, still no designer video. Maybe Lego has decided to get rid of this concept all together. I am still waiting in hope that the designer video will show up soon.

I can understand most of the changes you propose (even if I don't think they're necessary myself), but this one confuses me. Are there many banks with elevated vaults in real life? From my experience, most bank vaults are built on the ground level in part due to how heavily they're reinforced—many of them have walls cast in concrete, which is far too heavy to raise up (especially if there's nothing underneath to support it!). Then again, it's not like I'm an expert on banks...

You're probably right. It isn't ideal, but space occupied by the vault, I think, is better used for the lobby.

Hey, is this the first time the LEGO currency is called by its name "studs"?? And there seems to be a symbol for it as well! I know studs are currency in the video games, but I can't remember ever seeing studs being a currency in the actual sets! It normally says just an ambiguous number, without a symbol or form of currency attached!

I'm actually kinda excited about this! Just a little piece of LEGO lore to add :pir-laugh:

(or maybe I'm just an idiot that hasn't been paying attention)

Maybe if we flicked the Lamppost some studs may come out! On a serious note though I will definitely be getting this, £130.00 is very reasonable considering all the things you get.

I really like it, I don't mind the play features. I've just finished building my first modular (Palace Cinema) and I am hooked, can't wait to get my hands on this one. Maybe the vault would work better underground, has anyone ever Modded the street downwards and added basements, sewers, cellars, an underground train and stuff?

Edited by BrickOn

That would be very hard to do, as no LEGO buildings have true basements. You can't build below the solid baseplate, but adding another floor wouldn't be convincing.

I really like it, I don't mind the play features. I've just finished building my first modular (Palace Cinema) and I am hooked, can't wait to get my hands on this one. Maybe the vault would work better underground, has anyone ever Modded the street downwards and added basements, sewers, cellars, an underground train and stuff?

PennLUG had one 2 or 3 years ago at Brickworld Chicago along with a Subway station. The problem is it limits the viewing as they made a porthole on the side of their display so you could see it.

This guy has pretty epic set-ups with underground levels...

https://flic.kr/p/rgRoWB

Maybe the vault would work better underground, has anyone ever Modded the street downwards and added basements, sewers, cellars, an underground train and stuff?

Thats how I built my street (raised with subway), thread/pics here

Preparing to expand it now for BB and GBHQ....

Have Lego stopped making designer videos?! Haven't seen one for the brick bank or ghostbusters yet...

Have Lego stopped making designer videos?! Haven't seen one for the brick bank or ghostbusters yet...

They just haven't been filmed yet. We've been told that will happen this month.

They just haven't been filmed yet. We've been told that will happen this month.

Ok, thank you :classic:

This guy has pretty epic set-ups with underground levels...

https://flic.kr/p/rgRoWB

Thats how I built my street (raised with subway), thread/pics here

Preparing to expand it now for BB and GBHQ....

Exactly what I had in mind (but bigger and better in reality) thank you!

I am bothered by the display of half a minifig on the front of the laundromat; I know it's meant to be an article of clothing, but it looks kind of creepy.

I like the set, its nice. I like the colors and some of the interior detailing. I do feel, it needs a 3rd level, and be wider, but that would push it beyond the modular standard size. I plan on getting one, but will BL parts to add an extra floor to the bank building, not buy a second whole set.

I am bothered by the display of half a minifig on the front of the laundromat; I know it's meant to be an article of clothing, but it looks kind of creepy.

Something like having bubbles coming out of the washing machine would give it a nice appeal. It would looks better than that half minifigure.

Something like having bubbles coming out of the washing machine would give it a nice appeal. It would looks better than that half minifigure.

Funny, those were my thoughts exactly. A bit of a "soaps and suds" bubbly kind of thing would have been great. Idea for a MOD?

I absolutely love this set, but the medium blue (or is it azure?) trousers are a real eyesore.

Not in the least because they clash magnificently with the yellow and bright light orange awnings below it :grin:

Edited by Withacee

Funny, those were my thoughts exactly. A bit of a "soaps and suds" bubbly kind of thing would have been great. Idea for a MOD?

I absolutely love this set, but the medium blue (or is it azure?) trousers are a real eyesore.

Not in the least because they clash magnificently with the yellow and bright light orange awnings below it :grin:

I think the color of the pants is supposed to match a casual Jeans.... We're lucky it is not too much work to exchange it with a more proper color...!!

It would be a great idea. Haha, i think the color of the pans is azure. I wonder if there's a way to get the soap and suds effect with some LEGO pieces like the ice cream and regular stud pieces. :grin:

Can anyone tell me if the Brick Bank includes any minifig elements in colors or prints that haven't been seen before? (i.e. that are new for 2016 or new for this set)

The barista hair is new in that color and that dark orange female hair seems to be new altogether. The green and pink torsos will probably appear in other 2016 sets, but i think are debuting here. I may be wrong on the pink one.