Sir Gareth

Doctor Who General Discussion

If LEGO Made Another Doctor Who Set...  

215 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. (After the Tenth) Which Doctor Would You Most Want?

• The Fourth Doctor - Tom Baker
    • The Eighth Doctor - Paul McGann
    • The War Doctor - John Hurt
    • The Ninth Doctor - Christopher Eccleston
  2. 2. Which of the Tenth Doctor's Companions Would You Want?

4 hours ago, Grabdatgem said:

With the new announcement of Doctor Who going to Disney plus does anyone think they might do another Lego set? It seems the BBC wants to heavily market the next season and with it being the 60 year anniversary Lego might do a special set to honour the occasion. 

Ooo… I hadn’t even thought about that. The partnership with Disney (which loves its merchandising) could mean for marketing (and toys like lego) going forward - specifically outside Britain. I remember when I first got into Doctor Who (Matt Smith’s first season) there was a decent amount of merchandise available at chain retailers in the States, but it almost completely died out during the Capaldi era for some reason (I suspect the reason we never got a theme continuation for Doctor Who after the Ideas set is because the international market was ‘drying up’ at right around the time it was released). The change in distributor suggests someone high up wants to push for getting those international markets back, and hopefully that means more merch in easier to find places for those of us on the wrong side of the Atlantic. 

As far as a potential lego theme could go - While a new TARDIS set featuring the current console would definitely be necessary, and some battle pack style sets featuring cybermen and dalecks would be good as well, I think we’d need a CMF series (preferably two or more!) to really do justice to the rich history of The Doctor and their supporting characters. 

I missed out on Lego iDEAS TARDIS set years ago, it’s a big bummer or me…so Iguess I would love to see Doctor Who set eventually. 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I missed out on Lego iDEAS TARDIS set years ago, it’s a big bummer or me…so Iguess I would love to see Doctor Who set eventually. 

The nice thing is that the Ideas set was based on a previous TARDIS interior - every few seasons they entirely revamp it with only the general layout of the central console really staying consistent. The most recent iteration also includes some subtle but more noticeable than usual changes to the exterior of the TARDIS as well, so if lego decided to release a new set covering the same basic content but modeled after the most recent version it would be more than different enough from the 2015 version to make it its own set even without the obvious complete change in Minifigure lineup. 

I think there's a big possibility we could get more merchandise. (Even some Brickheads and keychains would be nice). RTD definitly seems to be wanting to inject some adrenaline into the marketing of the show. 

Doubt they'd throw this much out there to begin with before they know how well it'd sell, but my semi-realistic perfect wave would be - varying in sizes with the biggest being a TARDIS console - a set each for the NuWho Doctors with a companion and specifc monster (9/Rose/Autons, 10/Donna/Daleks and Davros, 11/Amy and Rory/Silence, 12/Bill/Mondasian Cybermen in different stages of evolution and Missy, 13/Yaz/Weeping Angels to get them in there, and, of course, one set for Ncuti's Doctor) as well as a CMF of the first eight Doctors, War, a Master (would love a Delgado, but more realistically Saxon-Simm) with the last two slots being for army building (say, Sontaran and a unique Cyberman).

That's thinking it'd be one wave and done, of course; I can't see Classic Who sets even beginning to come close to NuWho in profitability so a CMF would probably be the safest bet to get the first eight at the same time.

Back in reality though: I can only preach to the choir in hoping that RTD2 brings about a new market demand for DW merch - there's a whooooole lot to pull from, even if it's just based on 2005 and forward.

Maybe it's just me, but Who else is thinking about putting the 12th Doctor and a Egyptian mummy figures on the new upcoming "Orient Express" Ideas set? (It's not a space train, but it's close enough!)

If we do get some more Doctor Who, I will buy every set I can get. I haven't bought any substantial 2022 official models, but this might (if this wish-upon-a star comes true) revamp my spending on sets instead of MOCs.

Edited by Murdoch17

If you asked me a year ago, I would’ve said there’s no way we’d ever get another Doctor Who set from Lego.

However, Doctor Who is sort of in an Avatar situation right now where a brand with not a whole lot of current mainstream appeal suddenly gets a huge marketing push in conjunction with a reboot. They’re doing a similar thing with LOTR and Indiana Jones next year, so getting more Doctor Who might not be too far-fetched.

8 minutes ago, Portal Out said:

If you asked me a year ago, I would’ve said there’s no way we’d ever get another Doctor Who set from Lego.

However, Doctor Who is sort of in an Avatar situation right now where a brand with not a whole lot of current mainstream appeal suddenly gets a huge marketing push in conjunction with a reboot. They’re doing a similar thing with LOTR and Indiana Jones next year, so getting more Doctor Who might not be too far-fetched.

I’d say Doctor Who is currently in an even better position than the James Cameron Avatar movie because Doctor Who had a solid fanbase who were constantly active even when the show wasn’t considered cool and mainstream enough to get widespread merchandising. Avatar on the other hand has almost no cultural footprint, there’s nearly no fan content of it out there despite being massively overhyped when it originally came out. 
Frankly, I’d consider Doctor Who sets to be a safer bet than the current Avatar ones, even though Avatar is getting a true revival while all that’s happening with Doctor Who is a massive format overhaul that will presumably be accompanied by a major new marketing push. Doctor Who just has a more solid established fanbase that can be counted on to come out in droves if anything new is released. 

4 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Maybe it's just me, but Who else is thinking about putting the 12th Doctor and a Egyptian mummy figures on the new upcoming "Orient Express" Ideas set? (It's not a space train, but it's close enough!)

Or put 10th Doctor on Titatnic spaceship!

5 hours ago, Tariq j said:

I think there's a big possibility we could get more merchandise. (Even some Brickheads and keychains would be nice). RTD definitly seems to be wanting to inject some adrenaline into the marketing of the show. 

Or a Doctor Who CMF Series. Like variations of Doctor & Master, comparisons, aliens (Weeping Angel, Dalek, alien werewolf, Venternian vampire, etc). 

4 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Or put 10th Doctor on Titatnic spaceship!

I NEED to see that space Titanic done with set 10294. Somebody must've done MOD'ded it by now, right?

Edited by Murdoch17

On 10/26/2022 at 3:30 PM, Portal Out said:

I wonder if the same situation could also happen with Adventure Time? After all, the franchise is getting a Fionna & Cake spin-off soon.

4 hours ago, Whovastron said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a 15th Doctor Brickheadz with a Dalek or something

It's a lot of fun to think of all the sets they could make, but yeah if we ever end up getting mor Doctor Who it's probably just gonna be brickheadz

With more premium sets coming out I could maybe see them doing a large Police Box or a large Dalek that you could display. But otherwise it does seem Brickheadz (and maybe the odd polybag) would be what we'd get.

An Advent Calendar would also be great too.

On 11/22/2022 at 3:35 PM, Tariq j said:

With more premium sets coming out I could maybe see them doing a large Police Box or a large Dalek that you could display. But otherwise it does seem Brickheadz (and maybe the odd polybag) would be what we'd get.

An Advent Calendar would also be great too.

Give use LotR treatment with a large set (not as large as Rivendell though) of the new TARDIS interior (the 14th Doctor one) with one fig of each doctor, (17 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,War,9,10,11,12,13, Fugitive,14,15) as well as some brickheadz ( if you want to see doctor who brickheadz I've got a few on my Flickr.) A Dalek in the style if the pseudo UCS star wars droids would be cool too. 

Edited by Agent Kallus

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

Give use LotR treatment with a large set (not as large as Rivendell though) of the new TARDIS interior (the 14th Doctor one) with one fig of each doctor, (17 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,War,9,10,11,12,13, Fugitive,14,15) as well as some brickheadz ( if you want to see doctor who brickheadz I've got a few on my Flickr.) A Dalek in the style if the pseudo UCS star wars droids would be cool too. 

Seeing this thread jump up in the forum almost gave me a heart attack. I got really, really excited for a second there...

But yes, I agree with you 100%. Maybe since Disney is distributing now outside the UK we will get new sets... but I'm not holding my breath after the current Indiana Jones fiasco.

Edited by Murdoch17

2 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Seeing this thread jump up in the forum almost gave me a heart attack. I got really, really excited for a second there...

But yes, I agree with you 100%. Maybe since Disney is distributing now outside the UK we will get new sets... but I'm not holding my breath after the current Indiana Jones fiasco.

Sorry for false hope :look::grin:

I'm hoping if the 60th, RTD2, and the D+ deal can give it enough momentum that we might see something 2024, perhaps too optimistic and whilst I'd prefer system sets I'm sure it'd be more collector 18+ sort of sets. And call Indiana Jones a fiasco but it's still something, I'd love at least something for Doctor Who :laugh:

Yeah, the LotR treatment would be the best way to go about it. I think RTD really wants Doctor Who to become a sci-fi juggernaut again so I could see something happening.

On 3/26/2023 at 11:26 AM, Tariq j said:

Yeah, the LotR treatment would be the best way to go about it. I think RTD really wants Doctor Who to become a sci-fi juggernaut again so I could see something happening.

Can't say I agree, there's really nothing in Doctor Who iconic enough and big enough to justify a D2C on the scale of Rivendell. The TARDIS is playset sized - even if you padded it out with the zero room and the swimming pool and Nyssa's bedroom, it would still fall short of a proper large D2C.

Doctor Who's strength is in its variety, of characters and locations. Done right it could not only draw in fans of the show but fans of sci-fi Lego eager for new offerings. Even the classic series is ripe for the picking. I envisage a Robots of Death playset - even from a nearly 50-year old serial it would sell like hotcakes. Who fans would eat it up, sci-fi fans would want the robot minifigures, and the sandminer has this incredible art deco aesthetic that would be wonderful in Lego form. Or what about The Web of Fear? Robot yeti and the London Underground would make for a wonderful set that would have appeal beyond just fans of the show.

A CMF would really be the best LEGO offering for Doctor Who.

On 5/4/2023 at 1:43 PM, Yope said:

A CMF would really be the best LEGO offering for Doctor Who.

It would be great, and I've seen some awesome looking fanmade ones ( NoahRdraw and OVO figures come to mind) but sadly I think it's one of the least likely ways we could see Lego Doctor Who return, considering they seem to only like to have ove CMF running at once ( doesn't seem to bother them for any other product type though!).

I think Lego Doctor Who would work best as a series of historical sets similar to the old Time Cruisers theme; the "mad scientist" character with their crazy time machine, and each set a different time period with weird monsters. Madame de Pompadour's 18th century French court invaded by clockwork robots. Charles Dickens' 19th century Britain overrun by gas ghosts. 1969 Area 51 and the Silence. It's a concept that needs very little explanation for people unfamiliar with Doctor Who, since the 60 years of backstory can be rather off-putting to people, and allows Lego to reuse plenty of existing parts.

I'd normally say this would never happen, but since Disney is investing in Doctor Who, I'm sure they'll be looking at various merchandising ideas to recoup their money! Here's hoping the return of Russell T Davies sees a return to form and popularity for the franchise.

On 5/6/2023 at 4:59 PM, Felkin said:

I think Lego Doctor Who would work best as a series of historical sets similar to the old Time Cruisers theme; the "mad scientist" character with their crazy time machine, and each set a different time period with weird monsters. Madame de Pompadour's 18th century French court invaded by clockwork robots. Charles Dickens' 19th century Britain overrun by gas ghosts. 1969 Area 51 and the Silence. It's a concept that needs very little explanation for people unfamiliar with Doctor Who, since the 60 years of backstory can be rather off-putting to people, and allows Lego to reuse plenty of existing parts.

Nice!

this would give us a neat way to get some historical characters. Perhaps not Hitler though. 

5 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I found a TARDIS in a lifestyle picture of LEGO City set 60380 (Downtown)!

52975081820_4a829895a9_z.jpg

I wonder what it means?!?

Would they be allowed to post official product images with another license IP? Everything in that shot would’ve been planned. Could this potentially confirm a new partnership with Lego and Doctor Who?