• Excellent
    • Very good
    • Good
    • Not good
    • Terrible

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

The new Force Awakens sets appeared in the store and

they are ridiculously overpriced.

There are a few I'd like, but just not that much. The new vehicles are pretty interesting though, and I had to get just one.

20508135054_bb937b04b0_b.jpg

Set#: 75099

Name: Rey's Speeder

Theme: Star Wars

Year: 2015

Pieces: 193

Minifigs: 2; Rey and Unkar's Thug

Price: ¥3180

MSP: U.S.$19.99, £19.99

Peeron

Brickset

Bricklink

The box

There's some action, some Kylo Ren at the top.

21138544651_d0a0d999d5_b.jpg

Schematics and action points are shown. And she's surfing a box top. Is that a spoiler?

21130768035_fbc17faed0_b.jpg

The booklet

There is one book, cover same as the box. You know the deal. Inside, we see the instructions, plus the action features.

20943990439_1695455775_b.jpg

We also see the characters of the first wave of toys from this series. They are pretty disposable to me now, but I have no doubt they will be burned in my brain by the time 2016 comes. I hate the prequels, and have seen them all ten times, so I will know The Force Awakens intimately through sheer habit.

21104552566_02eb84c7f3_b.jpg

The Pieces

Two bags, it's a small set. As per usual.

20508133784_97920292c7_b.jpg

A sticker sheet. I've moved beyond calling it The Dreaded Sticker Sheet. It is a matter of economics, they have to use them to avoid the price of this going from ridiculous to ludicrous.

21138542291_b0791d0158_b.jpg

The set has two figs, Rey and Thug. They are nice enough. The Thug is bland enough to make me think of the bland dementors from Harry Potter, or the bland Chitari from Avengers one.

20942890358_c1f8a72d1e_b.jpg

20508131464_7bdcf731b3_b.jpg

20942652590_f19ffb6c35_b.jpg

The close up on the thug is alright. At least they have a face. But it's no Tusken Raider.

21120620922_5638b03f6c_b.jpg

Rey has a second face, and it's nice, but not that different from her first face.

21120620742_0c2c6a1bce_b.jpg

Gotta love the goggles and head wrap. This probably was 20% of the cost of the set. Got a nice sculpting, nice painting. Nice piece.

20943986379_a24b74eece_b.jpg

And nice sculpting on the back.

21130763165_60dc12fb66_b.jpg

The Build

This is the build as of the end of bag one. Fairly symmetric.

20508132324_6f7c7a4cc9_b.jpg

21138541691_4c09ed4820_b.jpg

The Finished Product

The speeder is one of the best looking things to come out of the trailer. I think it's pretty damn cool.

20509686463_7e776f835f_b.jpg

It's not exactly symmetrical. It's just 90% symmetrical.

20943985579_785206e4f2_b.jpg

The lower back booster twists to push a piece to open the door. Inside, a strangely shaped box fits snugly.

20942650680_844d83491d_b.jpg

The box is pulled out.

21120619492_f07467e89a_b.jpg

The cockpit is pretty damn cool as well. Open, and looking down.

20508129564_2e2b80bb1a_b.jpg

The side has Z-shaped piece integrating the newish blasters that have become the norm. I hadn't seen these before. They'll get no action from me since I never pew pew toys, but it's an interesting new piece.

21138538441_fe88f3dd1d_b.jpg

The Final Verdict

Design: 10/10 This is really well made. There is no criticism of the source or the interpretation.

Build: 8/10 I like the build in the nose of it, but overall, not a single technique surprised me. It's a workman like build.

Playability: 8/10 I think a little tension is needed for play. This set has Rey and a Thug, theoretically a conflict, but a pretty vague one. Points given for the 'action' features which would actually be fun for kids.

Minifigures: 8/10 The printing is fine, and I love the turban, but the designs are more perfunctory than illuminating. There's no Lobot here, for sure.

Price: 7/10 Should be ¥2000, cost ¥3000 plus tax. Way too much for a little set. Due to oil prices and the American dollar rising, 2015 became the year that LEGO wasn't worth the cost, here in Japan, and this set suffers for that.

21120618912_fda3214e07_b.jpg

Overall: 8.5/10 This is the most interesting design in the Force Awakens trailer. It's a speeder, and the colour reminds my of the 7113 Tusken Raiders Encounter set. There's a lot to like about it. It's not a great value, and it feels like the LEGO GROUP is testing the price points with this series. That said, this set won't break the bank, and looks a lot more iconic than any other Force Awakens set that isn't clearly based on Original Trilogy vehicles.

Thanks for the review! I have to say the prices are utterly ridiculous. I did a quick comparison on LEGO.com and for twenty pounds you can get close to double the amount of pieces. I believe Disney hopes the whole "new star wars movie" hype will sell their sets... I agree this won't break the bank but looking at some of the others in this wave, its just not worth it. Thanks for the quick review though!

Thanks for the review!

It is an interesting set allright, but that is a LOT of stickers, im really disappointed with the one for the control panel (as in, it not being a printed piece), ill probably pass on it purely based on the price

As for what you say about the price in japan, is all lego similarly expensive right now over there? Ive got a feeling that here in europe all the SW stuff is more extra-expensive then the other stuff.

I'm on the fence with this set. I like the opening side feature but the price is too high here (26'99€ at Amazon Spain). And all those stickers... I will wait for it to be on clearance. If only they had included BB8... That beach ball is the only thing I really want from this wave.

Thanks for the review!

Just built this at home and I really like it. Sure it would be great if it included the beach ball but it´s none the less a good set. Got it for 30% off so I guess I´m satisfied.

Am I the only one who hates this set? I'm not a fan of the color, and the whole front looks a stud to being up and down. Not to mention all the junk on the sides. I would much prefer a simple little ship. Also, could someone take a picture of the blaster piece separated? It looks very interesting

wow .... 3180 yen? does that mean that even in JAPAN prices are better than in EUROPE, where legos are made? wow again.

Prices are to the market. iTunes songs are not the same price worldwide either. Lego's suggested retail price is about 30% higher here. That way, most stores (Amazon, Bic Camera, etc) can advertise 30% off! and stores like Toys R Us can continue to gouge.

I got this with a 15% off coupon. Worth full price, $19.99 USD for 193 pieces is pretty fair. I'd say it's the best valued set in the wave, except maybe the Snowspeeder, but I like the minifigures better in this set.

Am I the only one who hates this set? I'm not a fan of the color, and the whole front looks a stud to being up and down. Not to mention all the junk on the sides. I would much prefer a simple little ship. Also, could someone take a picture of the blaster piece separated? It looks very interesting

If you mean the individual weapon, it's a combination hose handle and lightsaber hilt.

DIsRJJb.jpg

I'm divided on this set...not really a big fan of the design. I HATE the front end. The grille assembly is too wide, clashes with the rounded top of the fuselage. I narrowed it by one, mounted it using jumper plates, looks much better.

The color I like, I'm very low on dark red. It's got a TON of parts I find useful. The minifigs are decent. To me, it's worth the price.

Edited by Space Police XVIII

Excellent work, def. I have built mine last night and I love the built of this speeder. I have actually taken some reviewing pictures for it but I have not got the time to process and continue doing it. So glad you have done it. Thank you for sharing with us.

Thanks for the review! I really like the speeder's look but am shocked at the number of stickers for such a small set! Furthermore, the vehicle appears too large compared to the minifigs. I still voted 'very good' and will get it once I find a special offer. Something is wrong when you can buy entire sound systems, espresso makers or a coffee table for the price of a plastic spaceship.

In case anybody is interested in this set's villain, you'll find a short entry on the official Star Wars website (database).

incidentally, last night i realised that amazon france (not a third party seller, either) was selling this for 38 euro!

Amazon Japan has stopped selling Lego directly as of this year. Something happened this year to LEGO's sell through price that caused Amazon to shift their policy. Amazon used to be 30% less than Toys R Us here. Not anymore. This will drastically affect my purchases. "I need" sets have been downgraded to "I want" sets. The X-Wing from the new SW sets is one.

Great review! I think this is one of the better original designs of the first few E7 sets, but it suffers from a too high price. It's amazing how often I still read the price per piece ratio as an argument that all the sets are not expensive - from a Lego fan who should know better. Because while I really appreciate the small details in the design, this is accomplished by tiny parts, not even mentioning the stud shooters, which easily up the piece count by 15. I think this should have been 20€ (please compare with 76030 with 2 vehicles and 3 minifigs) and the Snowspeeder should have been 40€ (please compare with Malibu Iron Man set, playset with vehicle and 5 minifigures). So in the end they are 20% too high in price, comparing them to licensed sets with comparable license fees.

Turning away from the price discussion, I think this one and the X-Wing are the most interesting sets in this wave: kind of unique and new, with interesting design. Voted average due to the price being 20% too high.

Great review. The set looks great but the price is horrendous. I'm not buying any of these unless they are on sale or I can get someone else to for Christmas or something. Even though most of us here know LEGO well enough to know these prices are unacceptable and aren't willing to pay it, unfortunately the masses will be and LEGO and Disney will still make a killing. Hopefully they take enough of a dint this time around they make some changes for the next wave of sets. I would almost bet money that the price hike is mostly Disney's fault.

My votes are based on the set itself, not the price so I gave it a 'Very Good'.

Edited by ToaDraco

Definately not worth ¥3240 yen Looks like a nice vehicle (great review) but without seeing the movie and the price I am not rushing out to buy it.

Where in Japan are you? Did you join the national event in Kobe this year?

Where in Japan are you? Did you join the national event in Kobe this year?

I'm in Sapporo, so I go to the bi-annual event here. I wouldn't travel for a LEGO event at this point; I love it, but it's not so much a creative outlet for me as it is something to scratch a collecting itch. I'm more in a comics mode.

About 1500 people turned up for Japans first national event..with builders from America, Australia , New Zealand , Korea , Hong Kong , Singapore . Was a great event.

There are four registered Lego User Groups in Japan now. Mine hosted it.

Ah Sapporo is a bit far :D . I am in Osaka. Lego is different things for different people :D I am more of a builder.

Thank you for the review! I really agree that Lego is pushing hard on the price for all the start wars new wave...I wonder why...

I feel that it's worth the price but irritating that you can't fit either Rey's hairpiece or headpiece inside the speeder WITH the box of scavenged bits. Will have to do some modding at least until the film comes out and clarifies this scene. Who is Unkar and why does he/she need thugs? Is Unkar a crime lord or a geographic area of Jakku?