Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Much better picture is now on IG. I like it, I was worried it would be too shallow like last year 😅

Very alpine, I love it! And the sign at the door and what looks like a typical Austrian (and German?) inn keeper leather apron certainly suggest an inn of some kind. 

This looks gorgeous. If anyone’s curious, I’m thinking it looks to be 26 studs wide. Which is just about right for the amount of space I have in an open lot in the winter district of my city, so definitely getting this one. 

The logs are neatly done. It looks terrific. Still looks like some parts of it will be only four or five studs deep, which is very shallow, but other areas will have more depth.

The skating pond is nice and I like the little jetty.

From the single photo, it looks a bit like it's just the facade. I was hoping it was going to be more substantial.

1 hour ago, hikouki said:

From the single photo, it looks a bit like it's just the facade. I was hoping it was going to be more substantial.

The first floor looks to be 8 studs deep, the first toy shop was 7 or 8 studs deep.  

4 hours ago, Arstotle said:

Is that little shed to the right an outhouse?!

I mean, it's Lego, it can absolutely be an outhouse, but my first thought was ski storage. 

8 hours ago, FrkW said:

I mean, it's Lego, it can absolutely be an outhouse, but my first thought was ski storage. 

The reason I jump to that conclusion is because it looks like either there's a sticker of a crescent moon on the door of that small building, or there's actually a crescent moon cut out of the door (maybe that would be a new piece?  I don't keep track of these things).  In the US, the crescent moon on a door like that would traditionally indicate an outhouse.  And this certainly wouldn't be new territory for Lego - didn't they have a small City set several years back that consisted of a truck that was picking up a port-a-potty, or something along those lines?

2 hours ago, Arstotle said:

The reason I jump to that conclusion is because it looks like either there's a sticker of a crescent moon on the door of that small building, or there's actually a crescent moon cut out of the door (maybe that would be a new piece?  I don't keep track of these things).  In the US, the crescent moon on a door like that would traditionally indicate an outhouse.  And this certainly wouldn't be new territory for Lego - didn't they have a small City set several years back that consisted of a truck that was picking up a port-a-potty, or something along those lines?

Most likely a sticker or print—but if it IS an actual cutout, then it's definitely a new piece. I agree that it looks like it's meant to be an outhouse but I don't envy anyone who has to use an outhouse like that in the cold weather!

Edited by Lyichir

2 hours ago, Arstotle said:

It does look a bit like a crescent moon. In Sweden it's usually a heart thought, not sure about Denmark. And it seems a bit cold to use an outhouse at a ski lodge.  But Lego do love their toilets. 

It's definitely cold for an outhouse, but I've heard plenty of stories from my father about using an outhouse in the winter when he was a kid.  And then there's a hilarious story about my aunt falling in the hole while they were in the process of moving the outhouse to a new location, but I digress...

With this leak, I would guess we'll be seeing official images next week.  

I love it. It gives off the snowy rustic feel very well. I like the little side build too, and yeah, that looks like a cutout on the door. 

Oooo, i love that side build outhouse and the look of the set. Definitely the wintry and rustic feel, just like Santa’s Visiit set rather than Holiday Main Street.

Feeling better about this after the most recent / better quality pic but I'm still interested to see the inside. I like the outhouse and the snowmobile side builds but the pond(? is that a kid with a hockey stick?) build seems completely unnecessary. I would rather see that piece count go in to the main structure itself. Might rebuild that into something more ski lodge oriented. Chimney could be a few bricks taller...easily remedied. Light brick? Looking forward to the official pics.

With that Crescent Moon on the door it's definitely an Outhouse.  Have to say that after visiting a few National Park units recently most of the Outhouse/Pit toilets I used were definitely a bit more pleasant smelling as opposed to the Restrooms that actually had running water but smelled absolutely disgusting.  Don't know what they clean the normal restrooms with but they really need some Lysol, Pine Sol or something to obliterate the stench.  At least with the outhouse/pit toilets you expect some unpleasant odor but most were surprisingly not too stinky.

I'm really liking this Winter Village set but will be interested to see what the interiors look like.  The upper floor looks pretty shallow.

It's okay, not insta-buy though. For some reason, to my eye, 2 story buildings often look more shallow and more like a facade, even when they are not... that's why I'm not going to buy Holiday Main Street set.

Edited by temes

Agree with many comments here, It does look a bit like a facade due to the depth. I know it's 8 wide, but that translates to 7 inside and tbh it's not easy to fit a whole lot of good detail in such a narrow building. The Chimney? Well thats almost a direct copy of the Santa visit one and I'd rather hope that Lego designers could be a bit more original. There are loads of other techniques for building a lovely chimney. I don't care for the ice rink(?) either, just seems like a waste of parts that could otherwise have gone into the building. The rest look lovely and I really like the outhouse.

Looks really good. Will fit in well with the newer WV buildings (Fire Station and later sets) which are all, with the exception of Santa’s Visit, in a different taller and slimmer style than all the first sets up to and including the train station.

For those of you who complain about the newer buildings being too narrow, you could consider going a bit creative and expand the houses at the back and add more interior…

I don't find the buildings being more facade-ish an issue..  There are two options, each building has a full back and it opens up, or the back is open.  If the back is open, then I am going to set up my Winter Village to be set up so that the front of the building is facing an audience.  Most Winter Villages are all about the outside of the building and what is going on outside anyhow, the fact that the Lego Winter Village buildings can double as playsets is a fun bonus, but in terms of a comprehensive winter village scene that one takes in as a whole scene, having the buildings being facades does not take away from that as much, at least in terms of how I set up my village.  

6 hours ago, Celtchief said:

I don't find the buildings being more facade-ish an issue..  There are two options, each building has a full back and it opens up, or the back is open.  If the back is open, then I am going to set up my Winter Village to be set up so that the front of the building is facing an audience.  Most Winter Villages are all about the outside of the building and what is going on outside anyhow, the fact that the Lego Winter Village buildings can double as playsets is a fun bonus, but in terms of a comprehensive winter village scene that one takes in as a whole scene, having the buildings being facades does not take away from that as much, at least in terms of how I set up my village.  

I don't necessarily disagree with this, as my village setup is completely exterior facing. But from a satisfaction standpoint, I will be highly disappointed if they scale back or abandon the details and fun of the interiors. I enjoy the builds and the features, even if they don't see the light of day during the holidays (aside from my son turning them around and playing). I have yet to buy the 2022 edition because the value and detail just doesn't seem to be there. I'm accustomed to and expect more advanced building techniques and when they aren't there I'm less interested. I guess part of my relative disinterest is my collection is outgrowing my mantle, which makes it easier to skip a year. And with all that said, if I find 2022 on sale I'll probably pick it up. I hope 2023 lives up to the years of 2021 and previous.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, CoNSpiracy said:

For those of you who complain about the newer buildings being too narrow, you could consider going a bit creative and expand the houses at the back and add more interior…

Sure, I could do that. Would Lego consider retailing them at $79 opposed to $99?

8 hours ago, CDM said:

Sure, I could do that. Would Lego consider retailing them at $79 opposed to $99?

Personally I think the price for the WV sets is fair. It has been stable for some years now and given the size of the builds and piece count (also compared to other Lego sets), I’m ok with that price level. Sorry to hear that you are not excited about the new set. I am thrilled with it (as I always am this time a year!) and can’t wait to get my hands on it and add it to my WV 😊

58 minutes ago, CoNSpiracy said:

Personally I think the price for the WV sets is fair. It has been stable for some years now and given the size of the builds and piece count (also compared to other Lego sets), I’m ok with that price level. Sorry to hear that you are not excited about the new set. I am thrilled with it (as I always am this time a year!) and can’t wait to get my hands on it and add it to my WV 

To be clear, I'm mainly referring to 2022 and I'm cautiously optimistic for the 2023 Lodge but reserving judgement until we can see the full images. And I don't have a problem with the $100 price point, so long as they live up to expectations...for me, least year's didn't. But that's a me problem and I still may pick it up at the right price. We'll see.