Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I just hope this particular lodge looks VERY different then the previous homes.  Something with an A Frame would feel very village like.  

Always look forward to the Winter Village and hoping the compatible GWP is available at launch too.

However, if they don't include a sad faced minifigure who vaguely resembles George Michael, so we can reenact the Last Christmas video, they are missing a trick!

Do we know if the lodge is technically meant to be a "home"? I'm used to the word lodge being able to either mean a house or an inn/resort of sorts (i.e. temporary "lodgings"). The former we've had several of (although new styles don't hurt), but the latter is something that the Winter Village theme hasn't really had before.

I agree - to me, a lodge is more of an inn.  I'm guessing it'll be something along those lines (maybe borrowing from the Bricklink Winter Chalet set)

10 minutes ago, Arstotle said:

I agree - to me, a lodge is more of an inn.  I'm guessing it'll be something along those lines (maybe borrowing from the Bricklink Winter Chalet set)

I'm hoping it doesn't resemble the Bricklink Winter Chalet.  For some themes, notably Friends and City there are some very similar buildings released at the same time - grocery stores, sports events, etc. - but I would think Winter Village (and Modular) is one of the themes that gets a very different concept every year.  At one event Lego stated they chose not to do a newspaper office for the Dec 2022 Modular because Marvel had one on sale at the same time, and so Lego does try to avoid cannibalizing sales for certain themes.  

The Bricklink Winter Chalet is a hotel and already has a winter theme.  Because it sells differently (in advance and limited quantity), it won't cannibalize sales for Winter Village.  But I doubt they would plan for those lines to overlap.  The voting makes it unpredictable for Lego so maybe they will overlap because there can't be a plan for Bricklink?

The other interpretation of Lodge is essentially a cabin, and this set could very easily cannibalize A Frame Cabin sales.

To be unique, perhaps it's closer to the Fishing Store?

30 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

I'm hoping it doesn't resemble the Bricklink Winter Chalet.  For some themes, notably Friends and City there are some very similar buildings released at the same time - grocery stores, sports events, etc. - but I would think Winter Village (and Modular) is one of the themes that gets a very different concept every year.  At one event Lego stated they chose not to do a newspaper office for the Dec 2022 Modular because Marvel had one on sale at the same time, and so Lego does try to avoid cannibalizing sales for certain themes.  

The Bricklink Winter Chalet is a hotel and already has a winter theme.  Because it sells differently (in advance and limited quantity), it won't cannibalize sales for Winter Village.  But I doubt they would plan for those lines to overlap.  The voting makes it unpredictable for Lego so maybe they will overlap because there can't be a plan for Bricklink?

The other interpretation of Lodge is essentially a cabin, and this set could very easily cannibalize A Frame Cabin sales.

To be unique, perhaps it's closer to the Fishing Store?

To be in the $100 price range I can't see it being anything close to the scale of the Fishing Store. My guess would be that one of the past Friends winter sets might be a better comparison.

My new Winter Village moc for this year is going to be a hot chocolate brewery, complete with tanks and whatnot, and I think one of those tanks will be developing a leak. :devil: Will likely include a drinking area for Minors Only.

51 minutes ago, Silverhurst said:

My new Winter Village moc for this year is going to be a hot chocolate brewery, complete with tanks and whatnot, and I think one of those tanks will be developing a leak. :devil: Will likely include a drinking area for Minors Only.

Lovely idea!

A lot of people want a church (never gonna happen by LEGO self) or a city/townhall. There are plenty of them on Rebrickable. As for me, I only bought one of the original LEGO sets they issued the last four years, being "santa's visit". I didn't like the other ones. I expand my village with MOC's. Not my own, so technically they are SEOC's (Someone Else Own Creation) :pir_laugh2:

A very blury pic is up on insta, I think it's from a german youtube vid. From what little I can make out: I like it! Good shape, good mix of wood and stone, decent sized side build. Very curious about the inside layout. 

Quite different from the A-frame cabin, for those who where worried. Looks more like something from a picturesque village in the alps to me. Wonder if it's ment to be a private residence or some sort of inn. 

On 7/22/2023 at 7:57 PM, Robert8 said:

Hmmm it sounds underwhelming to me 

Let's see how it looks like

Ok. I might take it back now 

:oh:

Ooh yes, it looks lovely. Nice shape and variety of depths. Winter village scenery is always nice to have too. The ground floor looks like it might be very shallow though, but otherwise, pleasing.

At first glance I love the look of the thing. My only concern is that it might be too wide for the available space I have. I hope that section on the right is detachable or can be rotated or something. 

Looks like it might end up having a tight/ narrow interior. Seems more emphasis on the outside scenery (small park).

I wish someone could come up with a MOC to put all the Winter sets together (not necessarily modular).

Hard to tell from this very blurry pic but initially I'm disappointed because the proportions are vastly different than the rest of the buildings. I'll reserve final judgement until we get better pics but based on this I'm kinda worried. I hope I'm wrong.

Isn't a Lodge the same as a holiday home? Not a pub or hotel.. Like it from the image - just happy its not more of the narrow facade buildings from last year..

On 8/22/2023 at 9:53 AM, CDM said:

Hard to tell from this very blurry pic but initially I'm disappointed because the proportions are vastly different than the rest of the buildings. I'll reserve final judgement until we get better pics but based on this I'm kinda worried. I hope I'm wrong.

Look similar to Santa's Visit/ WV Cottage to me.. I'm OK with it.

2 hours ago, stebai said:

Isn't a Lodge the same as a holiday home? Not a pub or hotel.. Like it from the image - just happy its not more of the narrow facade buildings from last year..

Lodge can atleast in some places also be used for a type of inn, like a hunting lodge could be both like a private cabin or a place where you pay for room and food during hunting. Here, northen Europe, the english word is used for rustic but fancy getaway places in the countryside. 

4 hours ago, FrkW said:

Lodge can atleast in some places also be used for a type of inn, like a hunting lodge could be both like a private cabin or a place where you pay for room and food during hunting. Here, northen Europe, the english word is used for rustic but fancy getaway places in the countryside. 

I agree with this interpretation.  In the US, a lodge could be a private residence, or it can be a more public facility where people rent rooms.  I'm guessing it's the latter in this case, but either way, I'm liking the look of the architecture of the main building in this set.  I'm hoping this building is exactly "rustic but fancy," which is largely what I envision when I think of a lodge.  I'd be equally satisfied if this set is a smaller version of the BL Winter Chalet set, or if this ends up being another single family home for the village.  Either way, I think I'm pretty happy with this year's entry to the WV line.  A pleasant return to form after last year's departure.

18 hours ago, Lion King said:

I just got back from Seattle, WA, and there is no offical reveal yet? Darn it. 

Nope... I don't think it will take that long anymore. Probably this or next week.

1 hour ago, BriQtastic said:

Nope... I don't think it will take that long anymore. Probably this or next week.

That would be great. Last year we had to wait until the 22th of September for the official release and pictures were only leaked the day before.

Do we know when the VIP release is this year ? 1st October for VIP 15th for everyone else ? Or last year was it 23rd Sep for VIP 30th everyone else …. Definitely seems a lack of interest this year compared to other years ?

Lack of interest, i dunno, but the 2022 official reveal was on Sept 22, VIP sale started Oct 3, regular retail Oct 7. 2021 was a bit earlier in Sept.

12 minutes ago, CDM said:

Lack of interest, i dunno, but the 2022 official reveal was on Sept 22, VIP sale started Oct 3, regular retail Oct 7. 2021 was a bit earlier in Sept.

Thanks for info 

I agree.  I don't think there's any lack of interest, there just hasn't been much to talk about since the blurry photo got leaked.  I saw enough in that photo to believe that I'm going to be happy with the set this year, and I'm content to wait until we see more detailed photos in the next couple weeks before discussing the set further.  But not for a second would I think there's lack of interest.  It looks like it's going to be a great set with some interesting architecture.