CM4Sci

Architecture 2016

Would anyone be able to tell me what font LEGO uses for the architecture name tiles?

I believe it's some variant of Chalet, most likely Chalet London Nineteen Sixty.

going to guess summer and fall so May-June and then Sept-October...found out that Barnes and Noble carries these sets, which they send out 20% off coupons every once in a while so the membership is going to be worth it to pick these up...10% normal with the membership

Is this real?! I'm starting to save my money now if so! What's the release date range and cost estimate?

So thrilled about the US Capitol Building. That announcement made my week, and it actually looks really good. Very very excited-- I hope we'll see it in the April/May window.

Wow. That Capitol Building is FIFTY-SIX STUDS WIDE! That is huge for this line. Buckingham is 26-wide, and might actually be a square base...

I'm liking both, (certainly more than the cityscapes) even if I would really prefer them to get back to buildings by prominent architects.

56 studs wide, Robie house is 52 across. I think Robie is deeper front to back, but the Dome looks to be taller.

In the end, I think Robie has more overall volume, but it's definitely nice to get a new Architecture set of decent size.

These new sets are great additions to the LEGO Architecture series. I am biased towards the US Capitol model, but they are both great sets with some interesting parts and building techniques. This is a great year for the LEGO Architecture series, with 6 sets announced so far. (2011 is the only other year with 6 new sets.)

I just prepared a lengthy preview of both sets with some initial analysis. That review includes photos of the real buildings as well so you can make your own judgement. I've shared some of the highlights from the article below...

combined-600x207.jpg

Buckingham Palace and US Capitol Building LEGO Set boxes. (Photos from promobricks.de)

Buckingham Palace:

lego-architecture-capitol-21029_2-Edited-600x458.jpg

Buckingham Palace model as displayed at Nuremberg (photo from promobricks.de)

Upon a closer look, we see a base which is 26 studs wide, 24 studs deep, and about 8 bricks tall, not including the flagpole. (By contrast, The Louvre set has a base which is just 22 studs wide, the same 24 studs deep, and is a little taller at around 12 bricks high.)

As such, my best guess (without attempting to build sections of the model using my own bricks) is that the Buckingham Palace will be 800 bricks and a price of 79.99$

United States Capitol Building:

lego-architecture-capitol-21030_3-Edited-600x325.jpg

Perspective view of LEGO US Capitol Building model. (Photo from promobricks.de)

This is a really exciting model with proportions which look like they are very true to the real building. The high level of detail is really appealing to me, although the over-reliance on part #4070 – 1×1 Brick w/ Headlight may make the build process very repetitive.

By my count, the base is 48 studs wide and 14 studs deep, with the bulk of the model about 6 bricks tall, and the tallest portion is around 17 bricks tall. I think this will be the second largest set in the LEGO Architecture series, with around 1300 pieces and a price of 129.99$

For more detailed analysis, read the whole article I just posted at brickarchitect.com.

Sincerely,

---Tom Alphin

To me Buckingham Palace did not look so interesting, but US Capitol building, wow!! That is the most beautiful Architecture set I have seen, in competition with Robie House. This is a must-buy for me.

Count again, Henry, that Capitol is 56 studs wide (4 more than Robie!) and 18 deep. I think your heights are correct, though.

Edited by rollermonkey

It looks like the Capitol Building took Mos Eisley Cantina's award for "Biggest Hive of Scum and Villainy Recreated in a Lego Set".

Nice previews, Henry. I hope your price guesstimates are right. There seems to have been a bit of a price creep over the past year or three.

As someone who lives in DC I am super excited about the US Capitol set, but as others have said it will probably be rather expensive. I just need a Washington monument to complete the mall here. I would make it but i'm not sure how because as an obelisk it starts with a wide base ands tapers to the point at the top.

Imagine the MOC possibilities with the Capitol Building for backgrounds for B Movie Alien invasions. So epic.

Is it just me or does the model cut off the back of Capitol? The most iconic view of Capitol from the National Mall shouldn't be cut off. I still like the set but come on Lego you were this close to having the complete building and model. Just saying.

Edited by jburgs22

There's a Statue of Liberty on TRU, set 40026 for $4.99 but it doesn't look quite right to me. I just did a google search and it looks like an old set from 2012 or 2013?

There's a Statue of Liberty on TRU, set 40026 for $4.99 but it doesn't look quite right to me. I just did a google search and it looks like an old set from 2012 or 2013?

Hmmm...not sure if it's still current but I have the set. It's a cute little build but definitely not architecture material. It looks a bit goofy.

Has anyone seen anything more about a release date for the US Capitol Building or Buckingham Palace? I feel like this line slipped under the radar.

Just got NYC yesterday and let me just say. it's looks awesome on my desk. My only complaint is the overly repetitive design and the One World Trade Center is all matte and not crystaline like it is in real life.