Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

52394357808_5687ce8bf1_h.jpgPhase I Clone Troopers - Coruscant Guard, Clone Gunner, ARC Captain, ARC Pilot and Blaze Trooper (WIP)

Hope you like them!

On 9/26/2022 at 9:35 AM, IronFish said:

I would suggest the 3626cpb1200 Imperial officer head because it's a head with sideburns an no back printing, but 3626cpb2151 Wuher head might work if you're okay with back printing. There might be another head with sideburns I'm forgetting. 

I would love to see some suggestions for Syril Karn. While the used head actually suits the character for once, I'd be interested to see something less generic to use.

Best fit for Syril Karn would EASILY be a Frodo Baggins head. Especially the angrier face ones.

On 9/22/2022 at 5:34 PM, Archer said:

Has anyone tried using this fig's hair on a ep III Anikan?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?M=cty1201#T=P

When that hair was first introduced i thought it screamed Anikan but it was only in blonde and black, I didn't realize they had done it in brown in 2020.

I am waiting for this part to be available for a reasonable price in a shade of brown since its introduction so I can get multiples. At first I thought they would use it for the Mustafar Duel set but was let down with yet another dark brown Anakin TCW piece that I didn't buy the set at all. It's nice that the dark brown version came back in production with the Atari set but reddish brown would be a better fit for ROTS Anakin. Also want it Medium Nougat for Clone Wars Genndy looks. 

Weirdly I bought a Cherry Tree set of another brand some time ago and it included that hair piece in reddish brown as a leftover. Is it ok to post pictures of something like that or is that against the rules? The guidelines say something about no discussion of parts that infringe copyrights but everyone posts custom parts from manufacturers that don't have a Lucasfilm license so I am really confused.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:01 AM, The Stud said:

I've seen a lot of people use that hair piece for Episode 3 Anakin but I'm not a fan personally. I've also seen a lot of people use the old man Luke or Mad Eye Moody hairpieces but those are both parted the wrong way and don't really work either.

The current hair piece for ROTS Anakin is a closer match to what we see on-screen; the only problem with it is that it's also used for Clone Wars Anakin where his hair should be shorter. (This is especially apparent based off Anakin's updated TOTJ character models from earlier in the Clone Wars.) I think the hair piece you shared can work for early Clone Wars Anakin, the current hair piece can be used for Seasons 3-6 Anakin and this mock-up is perfect for Clone Wars Season 7/ROTS Anakin

His hair grows longer between the S2 and 3 looks. The current Anakin hair piece was designed for Season 1, so why should the longer piece be used first and for the later appearance a shorter part? That sounds completely backwards.

I would say the current Anakin hair piece made for The Clone Wars is accurate for his appearance throughout all of The Clone Wars S1-6.
For season 7 and ROTS the Lloyd Movie hair is closer due to it being longer relative to the TCW hair piece. The round part in the front is not perfect but hair pieces are never 1:1 fits unless the design was explicitly based on that one character, which is a rare occurrence. I don't like the proposed custom part because it very voluminous and so long that it blocks neck movement. The textures of the hair strands should also be smoother if it is supposed to be up to modern design standards. Those are bigger missteps than that one curl being a bit awkward.

10 hours ago, BigJudge said:

I am waiting for this part to be available for a reasonable price in a shade of brown since its introduction so I can get multiples. At first I thought they would use it for the Mustafar Duel set but was let down with yet another dark brown Anakin TCW piece that I didn't buy the set at all. It's nice that the dark brown version came back in production with the Atari set but reddish brown would be a better fit for ROTS Anakin. Also want it Medium Nougat for Clone Wars Genndy looks. 

Weirdly I bought a Cherry Tree set of another brand some time ago and it included that hair piece in reddish brown as a leftover. Is it ok to post pictures of something like that or is that against the rules? The guidelines say something about no discussion of parts that infringe copyrights but everyone posts custom parts from manufacturers that don't have a Lucasfilm license so I am really confused.

His hair grows longer between the S2 and 3 looks. The current Anakin hair piece was designed for Season 1, so why should the longer piece be used first and for the later appearance a shorter part? That sounds completely backwards.

I would say the current Anakin hair piece made for The Clone Wars is accurate for his appearance throughout all of The Clone Wars S1-6.
For season 7 and ROTS the Lloyd Movie hair is closer due to it being longer relative to the TCW hair piece. The round part in the front is not perfect but hair pieces are never 1:1 fits unless the design was explicitly based on that one character, which is a rare occurrence. I don't like the proposed custom part because it very voluminous and so long that it blocks neck movement. The textures of the hair strands should also be smoother if it is supposed to be up to modern design standards. Those are bigger missteps than that one curl being a bit awkward.

I know that hairpiece was designed in light of Season One, but based off his updated character models in Tales of the Jedi, I think it’s too long for a modern early Clone Wars Anakin minifigure. Maybe it’s just me but the hairpiece you’re talking about looks way shorter to me and it doesn’t part the same way. Anakin’s hair in ROTS is very wavy and I feel like the current hairpiece they’ve been using represents that far better than the Movie Lloyd hair. That’s just me though.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:57 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Ooh, that might work. I also found this, which I think might work too.

That hair in dark brown is perfect for Syril Karn in my opinion.

Also, has anyone hear come up with any good minifig-scale L0-LA MOCs? I made an OWK set display on one of my dorm room shelves and I wanted to add little Leia and her droid to it. A young Leia minifig should be relatively easy to make but the problem is that her droid is tiny and I don’t know how likely it is we’ll get a  specific mold in the future. (Though we did just get TODO recently…) I found a custom mold for cheap on eBay but I do not have the expertise to paint it.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:12 AM, BigJudge said:

Thank you for working to follow the rules. The main thing to avoid is anything watermarked. Usually Lego leaks. If we get flagged for hosting leaked Lego photos it puts us in a bad spot with TLG.

If you have something to share from a different brand, and it doesn't infringe on an embargo, then the only thing to remember is that we are a Lego forum first and foremost. But discussion about other brands used to enhance your Lego experience are allowed.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:18 PM, The Stud said:

Also, has anyone hear come up with any good minifig-scale L0-LA MOCs? I made an OWK set display on one of my dorm room shelves and I wanted to add little Leia and her droid to it. A young Leia minifig should be relatively easy to make but the problem is that her droid is tiny and I don’t know how likely it is we’ll get a  specific mold in the future. (Though we did just get TODO recently…) I found a custom mold for cheap on eBay but I do not have the expertise to paint it.

Honestly the only thing I could think of that would be in scale would be a dark red 1x1 round tile, unless they eventually make a smaller figure like Todo or BD 1

Also would love to see your young Leia when if/when you make it!

On 10/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, The Stud said:

Yeah, it's just too small for anything to work well, I think. Maybe a heart shaped piece, to try and have the seperate wings, or just a 1x1 round tile.

Any ideas for a mon mothma? Both Andor and ROTJ versions. 

On 10/7/2022 at 10:51 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Any ideas for a mon mothma? Both Andor and ROTJ versions. 

I suspect a set with a figure of her is in the works based on one of the unique hair pieces in the Soccer Table set. The shape would be correct for Andor Mothma but it is included in bright yellow and black.

https://images.brickset.com/news/83994_P1066284.JPG    Top row, #5 from the left

For ROTJ I currently use a standard male hair piece in medium dark flesh and gave the official torso from 2009 the new dress piece in white. I guess one could also use Larry the Baristas hair but it isn't available in any shade of nougat, and it is a tad too big.

On the topic of ROTS Anakin here is a picture of my minimalist Anakin with the reddish brown Movie Lloyd hair

800x534.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/files/BigJudge/small-star-wars-builds/Battle of the Heroes (1).jpg

I think you need the newer legs with the small black triangles to effectively pull off the white hips - especially since you're endangering some rather valuable parts (or they were, at $6/per, when I sold all of mine on BrickLink to upgrade my troopers).

Reviving this thread to remind everyone of the power of...

http://52837405476_89a4290701_k.jpgCrew of the Tantive IV by Kordel Pender, on Flickr

BOOTS! :laugh:

Some more pics to give this thread some new life (hopefully)

http://52837806230_7b8395786d_k.jpgRebel Strike Team by Kordel Pender, on Flickr

http://52836846107_e3176d6b50_k.jpgRebel Scraps by Kordel Pender, on Flickr

http://52836852972_334ef05de0_k.jpgCody and Rex Updates by Kordel Pender, on Flickr

On 11/20/2022 at 8:42 PM, Pedilego said:

I think you need the newer legs with the small black triangles to effectively pull off the white hips - especially since you're endangering some rather valuable parts (or they were, at $6/per, when I sold all of mine on BrickLink to upgrade my troopers).

Yeah, I totally agree. Nearly made the mistake of upgrading to the Stormtrooper legs from the 2005 Imperial Inspection, but that wasn't even close to being worth it (in every aspect).

sw0122-rohamosztagos-festett-labbal-larg

10 hours ago, Mad Spandy said:

The parts usage on that scuba trooper is excellent!

Thanks a lot man!

There's some lovely new customs over at Firestartoys.com but oh my goodness their prices have become ridiculous. Their custom helmets cost nearly double what they used to, and at £50.00 there's no way I'd fork out for their new Filoni X-Wing pilot, as lovely as he is. I wish they could have just printed up heads and helmets for individual purchase as part of their custom range of rebel pilot heads and helmets (which haven't had any individual additions to the range in years now), instead of making them only available as part of a ridiculously expensive figure.

https://www.firestartoys.com/products/custom-design-minifigure-sw-wolven-wingman.html

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

Never posted on here but would love to contribute to the revival of this thread with some of my random purist customs I've posted on r/legostarwars.

guAQwNV.jpg

Lepira from ANH

GcHor9W.jpg

Lieutenant Blount from ROTJ

SYhncGF.jpg

Dorovio Bold from ROTJ

PpjQpmP.jpg

Shara Bey (Poe Dameron's mom) from the comics

U9Lol9n.jpg

Rya Kirsch (John Knoll's character) from TPM. Side note: I've since updated the hands with dark brown ones instead, and am planning to get the helmet in dark brown as well

Edited by laguna_bob

8 hours ago, laguna_bob said:

Never posted on here but would love to contribute to the revival of this thread with some of my random purist customs I've posted on r/legostarwars.

Lieutenant Blount from ROTJ

Dorovio Bold from ROTJ

Excellent figures all-around, but I wanted to bring special attention to two of my favorite "extras" from ROTJ. :sweet:

Has anyone ever sorted out the best torso (and I guess leg and arm) prints for each version of Vader? 

I think I'm right in saying he appears in Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Rogue One, Clone Wars S7, Rebels, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, and there are subtle differences in the armour for each appearance. 

I've never really looked into it but just sorting through my Vaders and wanted to know which ones were most accurate. 

So for Jango and by extension Boba Fett circa OT, do we think the T’Challa hair is best? 

15 hours ago, Flieger said:

May not fit 100% but I think it looks much closer to Baylan's screen appearance:

HOYnQFZ.jpg

Nice job! Would it work if you added some sort of cape?