Oh ok, my buyer was also a James from Wellington.

If you're not coming I'd love to build a copy! I would credit you and advertise any site you want.

You should totally build one! I'd love to see how well it works connecting two together.

The old scrolling version would probably be less of a headache at a show - you just turn it on and leave it going. The new one, you spend most of your time restacking the hopper.

I'll have a go at attaching the LDD file for it. (edit: Looks like that didn't work.)

There are some changes that would make it neater and more robust (I basically abandoned this version when I had the idea for the new one), but the big advantage is that you can make it as wide as you like.

Edited by AncientJames

The attachment feature isn't much use, since your 100 kb of storage is meant for your profile picture.

Use external hosting like bricksafe.

Looking forward to seeing the file!

My idea for continuous operation is a belt that is mechanically advanced instead of driven, with each plate lifted into the pins when it comes past.

Edited by BachAddict

The old scrolling version would probably be less of a headache at a show - you just turn it on and leave it going. The new one, you spend most of your time restacking the hopper.

I'll have a go at attaching the LDD file for it. (edit: Looks like that didn't work.)

There are some changes that would make it neater and more robust (I basically abandoned this version when I had the idea for the new one), but the big advantage is that you can make it as wide as you like.

couldnt you borrow some ideas from the GBC makers for a endless loop of the cards to have it work in endlessmode, too?

Wow! This is just... well, awesome! All those moving parts and it works amazingly! :thumbup:

I've shared the LDD file for this display here: http://1drv.ms/1bSM59J

This first version doesn't show the full construction. The missing pieces are all just mirror images of the other side, so all the information you'd need to build one is still there. I'm not sure whether it's more work to manually fill in the other side, or to write a tool to do it automatically.

Some parts aren't currently available in LDD, and I've had to make substitutions. Where I've done this, I've coloured the substituted parts in pastel blue. The missing parts are:

4265a.gif18654.jpg15100.jpg18677.jpg

This first version doesn't show the full construction. The missing pieces are all just mirror images of the other side, so all the information you'd need to build one is still there. I'm not sure whether it's more work to manually fill in the other side, or to write a tool to do it automatically.

Some parts aren't currently available in LDD, and I've had to make substitutions. Where I've done this, I've coloured the substituted parts in pastel blue. The missing parts are:

Thanks for sharing this great MOC!!!

Hello, I added the missing mirror side in your ldd file(http://www.bricksafe.com/pages/jesuskyr).

Just one question^^

What is it in the red circles?

flipdot-v1-0_main_working_2%20(1).png

flipdot-v1-0_main_working_1%20(1).png

Awesome! Did you do it by hand, or is there a tool that automatically flips? Either way, thank you.

The three blue 1x1 plates should be a single 1x3 plate, but LDD considers that to be illegal.

The floating piece is something I've gone back and forth over - it goes on the steering arm at the bottom, replacing the 2L axle with a bar. This provides a little bit more play in the connecting rod to the press mechanism, which affects how smoothly it all runs. My current build doesn't use it, and I should have removed it from the file.

I've just discovered bricksafe, so I've uploaded a little web app for programming the cards: http://www.bricksafe...ipdot/card.html

I don't think Bricksafe is really ment to upload webpages... At least, it doesn't work for me... I believe Dropbox is able to "host" webpages.

It works in Chrome, it doesn't work in Firefox :sceptic:

When I was searching for inspiration for my split-flap display, I stumbled across this thread. Great job.

My first proof of concept of a split-flap display can be found here, hope you all like this as well (please like the video if you do). The goal is to create a three-digit split flap display for our track.

More information about our track can be found here: https://siouxnetontrack.wordpress.com/

22 hours ago, ord said:

Cool! Nice work getting the flaps so thin :thumbup:

Thanks. Will keep my progress posted in this thread.

The numbers will look like this (render image):

51748119168_1e52d4d954_k_d.jpg 

I will use black/red since these bricks are the most cheap to get.

Edited by Hanso

Updated version:

In this version, I have added a touch sensor to detect the 'zero' position. To go to a next number, the wheel is rotated 36 degrees for each next count. The position is reset every time the lever touches the sensor, this prevents drift. The second proof of concept still contains only a large one and two, all the other numbers are not yet ready (not enough bricks ;-)). I have added small numbers on the flaps, so you can see that it works. 

At the end of the video, you see a rendered image of how the final flaps will look like. The reason that I have chosen black/red as colors, this is because they are most affordable. For 3 digits, I have to make 30 flaps. That results in a total of 750 flat tiles (3068) PLUS 750 flat tiles inverted (11203). So every cent counts.

I don't like the large gap between the two flap-parts, thinking of minimizing that. But have no idea yet how to ... suggestions?

Edited by Hanso

In my previous post, I wrote thatn I wanted to minimize the gap between the two flap parts. In order to achieve this, I have create my own wheel that holds the flaps. Additional advantage is that wheel is also smaller than the version with the track elements.

The video with the new wheels can be found on Youtube. I will make an LDD sketch of the wheels later this week.

Edited by Hanso

Brilliant! I think it is particullarly awesome because of its "simplicity". And I put the word into brackets because it is a really complex machine brought to life by the simpliest way (I think). CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Very nice, appears to work quite smoothly and reliably.

I contemplated on building a similar split-flap display to be used as a calendar, but I wanted it to be completely mechanical (being actuated by manual lever). The reason why I never got into designing it was that making the counter to take into account the variable length of months would be difficult and I didn't even think of accounting for leap years. Using a smart brick makes it obviously much simpler in mechanical terms so that would be doable, but I don't want to have my Mindstorms unit stuck into a calendar...