SkaForHire

Challenge IV, Category C explained. RULES THREAD

May you explain, why the Desert King starts with such a big disadvantage in points ?

May you explain, why the Desert King starts with such a big disadvantage in points ?

SPECIAL: Since the Desert King starts with a lot less victory points, they have a special condition. At the end of the war, if they control squares, A12, A13, A14, A15, and B12 they achieve a victory condition called "Keeping the Supply Line open" This is worth 15 points in the end of war tally.

Does that answer your question?

It was not intentional. When I made the practice map, the one that is displayed for explaining the rules, they were more even. But, when I made the official map, I took into consideration where Kaliphinites were located and which side they were on in the conflict. I would have to double check, but I believe no Kaliphlin members chose Desert King. So I didn't have a lot of extra cities to add. And geographically, I could not stretch the DK farther south with the story that has been told. Which led to the special victory condition to grant a lot of extra points. I guess DK is the challenging option this time around. On the other hand, if DK's forces can take Everlast (that little blue blip up there at the top, and hold those other zones (which are pretty well protected at the moment) they will have an upper-hand in the tally. Right now, only the High Council is in position to deny them those points. Although, I suppose there will probably be a lot of Guerilla action up there.

Everlast is assembling its forces atm as it is a very valuable place (very strategic located towards Nocturnus).

Anyway, Lord Max Samu managed to withdraw all the treasures out of Everlast (to a secret place) so in the worst scenario, we only lose a pile of bricks...

When posting mocs for the mini challenges, do we create a topic for it? Or just post a picture in the challenge thread? It seems that if every mini challenge moc gets a new topic it will flood the forum w smaller builds and push down anything not contest related.

Do we have to choose to either build a battle scene or a guerrilla phase or can you do both a week? I want to make the most of this challenge. And for the battle scenes, do have our own little battles or are they supposed to be for just one big battle and not separates?

When posting mocs for the mini challenges, do we create a topic for it? Or just post a picture in the challenge thread? It seems that if every mini challenge moc gets a new topic it will flood the forum w smaller builds and push down anything not contest related.

I follow you in this! I also hope we have to post a story in the challenge thread :) and I suggest that a player makes only one thread for all his Cat 3 entries together and updates it every time he eneters a mini challenge :)

You should post your entry in a dedicated thread, and post the link in the battle thread.

Do we have to choose to either build a battle scene or a guerrilla phase or can you do both a week? I want to make the most of this challenge. And for the battle scenes, do have our own little battles or are they supposed to be for just one big battle and not separates?

You can do both. One per battle, and one guerrilla per week, and then one counter per week (if there are any to counter). Remember that they have to be approved to count though, so make sure they are good!

Whereas you could work in conjunction with other builders, no cohesiveness to anyone else is necessary.

I follow you in this! I also hope we have to post a story in the challenge thread :) and I suggest that a player makes only one thread for all his Cat 3 entries together and updates it every time he eneters a mini challenge :)

As long as the links went directly to post with the new entry, I don't see why people couldn't do this if they wanted.

Ska, I have looked through the rules again, and there is one question I can't find an answer to. Is there any limitations on guerilla builds in terms of size, or is the size of the guerilla build free, but the counter action will then have to stay within the same size?

Plus, should guerilla builds be posted in the same thread as other cat C builds? That will make your coordination a bit complex, I would think.

Is a thumbs up just a positive comment? I would suggest a specific thing that reviewers must write for approval to avoid confusion.

Lastly, I will join in and say a pm-thread for each faction would be nice.

And: You are the king of all war gaming! This is awesomazing and fantabulous!

Ska, I have looked through the rules again, and there is one question I can't find an answer to. Is there any limitations on guerilla builds in terms of size, or is the size of the guerilla build free, but the counter action will then have to stay within the same size?

Plus, should guerilla builds be posted in the same thread as other cat C builds? That will make your coordination a bit complex, I would think.

Is a thumbs up just a positive comment? I would suggest a specific thing that reviewers must write for approval to avoid confusion.

Lastly, I will join in and say a pm-thread for each faction would be nice.

And: You are the king of all war gaming! This is awesomazing and fantabulous!

Good questions, I will have to put some clarifications up in this thread. Yest, Guerrilla builds can be any size, and I think what you suggest about matching should be a general rule, so we will add it here. Good one for sure. As for posting them, I think a link in the cat c thread would be best, with separate MOC thread for the build itself, as has been the case most of the time in the past.

Second, I think you are right, maybe we could use the " :thumbup: " as the universal sign. I know we +1 in the UoP builds, but I don't want to confuse it, so we can just go with the thumbs up.

I have asked about the PM in our behind the scenes forum, I don't think I have the ability with my account to do that. So we will need help there. I know TOR in the pirates forum actually had private forums for each side, that would be cool in this case as well.

Edited by SkaForHire

The points for Guerrilla and Counter are different in the description than in your chart of points. The 4 and the 5 are flipped. Also, am I correct in thinking the Guerrilla builds are due by the end of the day on Saturday each week?

I will fix that. I should rephrase that and put Sunday, not end of week. Most likely, I will create the voting thread on Monday afternoons.

Is there specific colors for each faction? ( like to put on flags and banners, so we could easily identify who it is we are killing)

Well, all three factions fly the Kaliphlin flag foremost, but in private, some of us have brainstormed that the Ulandians main colors were Green and Blue, but the different cities (Xersia itself was supposed to be Blue and Gold) and legions have other colors. I would say the council would stick to blue and red, while the Desert King may fly a bit of black and red with the Blue and Red. But... to make it easy, and if you are flying just one color, the Council should be Blue, Ulandus should be green, and the DK should be black. But again, as with all GOH, we aren't a hundred percent stuck on proper flags.

I would like to put up a reminder to all "shield-holders" that they should remember to give the " :thumbup:", as none of the current builds yet seem to have gotten any thumbs-up.

Further, is there any limit as to where you can make guerilla actions?

• Neutral zones
    Can it be done in neutral zones or are they excluded? And who does then counter? I would suggest only to allow it in occupied zones. Otherwise, we will have to judge between several factions - which may be interesting, but also complex.
  • City zones
    Is city zones (worth more than 1 point) excluded from Guerilla action? (To avoid Petreya and others to be spammed with Guerilla builds) Of course, you can easily make a case that those provinces will also be more likely to spark counter-actions, so maybe it is not a problem. I am divided on this point.
  • First come, first serve
    To avoid multiple guerilla actions from several factions in the same zone (and thus making voting and evaluation overly complex), I suggest that only one faction can take guerilla action in any given province (with any number of builds) on a first come, first serve basis. Let us then say that Ulandus has made 2 guerilla actions in province xy, and the Desert King makes 3 counter actions the following week. Voting can then be based on which faction has done the best effort both in number and quality of builds. (Exact distribution of points should then be established)
    Alternatively, only one build should be allowed per province per week (1 guerilla and then one counter guerilla the next week.). However, this will require a large degree of coordination within the factions. (Especially for counter guerilla builds that cannot be easily redirected to other zones.)

Sorry for all the questions - maybe you have already thought about it, and I have missed it somewhere here. It is a rather complex challenge! :wacko:

You have done an amazing job with this and I am really looking forward for this challenge to really get rolling! I am already having a lot of fun building, planning builds and seeing what others are coming up with! :sweet:

Edited by Bregir

Second, I think you are right, maybe we could use the " :thumbup: " as the universal sign. I know we +1 in the UoP builds, but I don't want to confuse it, so we can just go with the thumbs up.

I would like to put up a reminder to all "shield-holders" that they should remember to give the " :thumbup:", as none of the current builds yet seem to have gotten any thumbs-up.

FYI SkaForHire and Bregir: I cannot build for these challenges, but they are so awesome it's got me posting again! I plan to make myself useful, and as a shield-holder, thumbs-up as many builds as I feel are appropriate. I've started this process and will continue this in the coming weeks.

Look forward to everyone's entries!

Bregir, I believe Ska is the one who decides where the guerrilla action will take place, not the builder. :cry_sad::laugh: So don't make it overly specific to a certain locality I suppose.

I think the description is pretty clear here. The guerrilla could make his actions everywhere he wants.

For purposes of choosing, all nine squares around a zone are considered touching or bordering.

This number should be eight, since nine do not border the center square.

Bregir, I believe Ska is the one who decides where the guerrilla action will take place, not the builder. :cry_sad::laugh: So don't make it overly specific to a certain locality I suppose.

I think the description is pretty clear here. The guerrilla could make his actions everywhere he wants.

This is true, it just has to be an enemy occupied area. No neutral zones.

This number should be eight, since nine do not border the center square.

Correct, I will fix that on the next edit.

we can start doing guerrilla builds,right?

Yes, one a week until the second to last week of the challenge (there has to be time to counter it)

As I wrote in the first guerrilla build thread I'm afraid that without a way to recognize which build is where it will quickly get hard to grasp the whole situation, especially if we are going to see the current amount of participation or even more throughout the challenge.

I think that it would be good if the tag noted where and by who the guerrilla action is taken.

For example this could be [G:J13, DK vs U] or something similar, or if Ska has some other thought?

Counter build next week could then be [CG:J13, U vs DK], and maybe in the post include a link to this one.

I'm afraid that the guerrilla action might quickly be hard to get a grip on when multiple actions are happening...

Didn't realize you had posted here as well, but for the sake of those who aren't reading both:

Technically I believe Ska is the one who gets to decide where the guerrilla actions happens. In this case, as Lord Dan has picked his spot, I have no idea what will happen. Also, counters are to be posted in the same thread, not a new one.