I want to see pics of the B-model, curious about that flatbed.

Or is it like someone said a lot like the B-model of the 8285 towtruck?

If this set was a expensive LEGO system set I think they will use the 1x5 tile to make more people buy the set for new parts.

Agreed!...how hard could it be to make a 1x5 flat tile?.....they really should make new moulds that have 1x5,1x7,1x9 flat tiles anyways!

I also note that this is the *FIRST* Technic set to use part #98138 in trans clear. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=98138&colorID=12&in=A

98138.jpg?2

Agreed!...how hard could it be to make a 1x5 flat tile?.....they really should make new moulds that have 1x5,1x7,1x9 flat tiles anyways!

Do we really need it? Minor detail really. And then moulds are huge money to produce.

The only real gripe I have about this set is the fact that the outriggers are so primitive. Would it really have been that hard to have them driven, like 42009, or even better, pneumatic? However, if that were the case, they might have to reduce the number of pins they so love...

People really seem to underestimate the huge investment required to produce new molds.

I know, new molds are probably the single most expensive aspect of making the parts. However, Lego could still maybe introduce more odd numbered tiles, like they did with the 1x3 tiles. I personally don't see them doing it. That's because if you have 1 odd numbered tile, you can combine it to produce any other odd number. For instance, combine a 1x3 tile with a 1x2 and you get a 1x5.

Valve, probably the standard existing part, although eh, a new one would be nice too. :classic:

If TLG were to make a new pneumatic valve compared to the "3/2" valve they have made for many years, then a "5/2" valve would be welcome.

This is a standard part for industrial pneumatics, which currently takes 4x LEGO "3/2" valves to replicate its function:

4-switch_pneumatic_polarity_reverser.jpg

The valve would probably have a 3M diameter disc with an axle profile lever projecting from one side. There would be no leaks to the atmosphere with this valve, just as there are none with the circuit block above. Instead the 4 nozzles would be either blocked, connected 1-2 and 3-4 or connected 1-3 and 2-4.

The existing elongated rubber-lined enclosures would be used, 2 with just a 1M-wide round enclosure for the "no flow" state with the lever in the centre-position and 2 with elongation around the circumference - longer than the current one used in the "3/2" valve, for connecting pairs of nozzles together in the positions either side of centre. The four nozzles would be arranged in a square pattern, with the square perhaps at 45 degrees to the orientation of the valve body, depending on what is convenient for the parts design.

Such a valve would need the top of the lever to be further from the pivot centre, so a design criterion to consider is whether a #1 toggle joint on top would still allow a 2/7 cylinder to realise the full travel of the valve. The introduction of the new 2/11 cylinder would allow such a valve with a longer lever to be controlled without needing any gearing up in a lever ratio from a 2/7 cylinder, though a 1/5 cylinder would need it as its extension would be too short to cover the full travel. In that way the 2/11 cylinder now enables a larger valve to be designed, produced and used because we will have a simple, ready means of actuation for it in a loop system. :thumbup:

The 5/2 valve would replace the above circuit block in a system like this one:

pnp_robot_circuit.jpg

This circuit is the one for my pick-and-place robot from 1996. The top 4 of the 5 "3/2" valves in the set driven by cylinders in parallel with the grab would be replaced with 1 "5/2" valve. Those 4 valves plus the right-hand one from the wrist pair for an Exclusive-OR gate; The grab, wrist and elbow are in a loop and the extension position dictates which half of the loop receives air to continue its movement.

I would prefer this purely pneumatic valve to any amalgamation of a PF electrical part and a pneumatic part because the versatility of LEGO is one of its strengths - we can make our own choices which valve to drive with which motor or other pneumatic cylinder or whether to use a spring or belt to bias its position. A PF micro motor or solenoid with 3-position control (functionally like a 12V point motor) and capable of driving a "3/2" valve (i.e. a lot more powerful than a 12V point motor) would also be welcome; the PF servo motor can drive a few but £21 is a lot for some fans.

I would also welcome an advance in air compression. I have tried various compressor configurations, some more for show as concepts e.g. Swash Plate Pump and some for raw air power, but a large power supply is needed to compress enough air for systems much bigger than the circuit above and I'm not sure the standard LEGO motors are up to it for long either; currently a single 1/6 compressor is driven from an L-motor so that's a lot of L-motors! I have previously used a car tyre air compressor but it was noisy, got hot, and it is difficult to find a suitable product in the shops for continuous use - most are designed to reach a pressure and switch off, or rest for half an hour after inflating a single car tyre, whilst others are capable of providing enough air for a whole house full of LEGO pneumatics (did anyone warn my wife about that :laugh: )!

Mark

I know, new molds are probably the single most expensive aspect of making the parts. However, Lego could still maybe introduce more odd numbered tiles, like they did with the 1x3 tiles. I personally don't see them doing it. That's because if you have 1 odd numbered tile, you can combine it to produce any other odd number. For instance, combine a 1x3 tile with a 1x2 and you get a 1x5.

Exactly. It's rather pointless for TLG to introduce more tile molds, no matter how much you want it.

Edited by jantjeuh

But from an asthetic perspective and 1x5 tile looks better then a 1x3 and a 1x2...or a 1x4 and a 1x1 tile. IMO this is about how a model looks...it would look better with a single 1x5 tile.

Once again, it requires a huge financial investment to produce a new mold. Do you seriously think TLG are going to go through all this trouble just so that this particular Technic model looks a bit better? Also, keep in mind that Technic models aren't exactly best-sellers (compared to the rest of TLG's range).

New mold costs about half million euro yes 500000 EURO.

Some of them, the more complex molds....the price varies from 50,000 - 500,000....a 1x5 flat tile is a very simple mold.

Some of them, the more complex molds....the price varies from 50,000 - 500,000....a 1x5 flat tile is a very simple mold.

The 1x5 plates do not exist, therefore the 1x5 tiles do not have to exist.

Looks nice, but a lot like the 8285 B-model, hoped for a flatbed recovery truck, but this is also nice.

Great B model. I've seen trailers like that with a crane on some truck website.

Awesome B model. Way better than the other licensed B models like the Unimog snowplow and the terrible Volvo dumper

Nice B model find. So who will buy two sets and keep both assembled?

The B model could lose the crane, gets you a few cylinders to play with? :moar:

Edited by andythenorth

I like it .... like it a lot ....

Yes. It's a lot like 8285, but it look's like 42043 B-model, doesn't have adjustable neck like 8285 have ...

8285_03__66386.jpg