For sure I gotta stock up on those longer cylinders. Imagine the excavators, back hoes, small forklifts, skip lorries, front end loaders that can and will be built by MOCers, all the future official sets that will use these new cylinders and all those official sets that came with LAs that can now be put right! It's gonna be wonderful I tell ya!

Does that mean you will finish your backhoe loader then?

HELLO good folks @ Eurobricks :)

Been sniffing around in here for years....

But THIS incredible set, and reading your excellent comments really inspired med to sign up :)

I simply LOVE it for its looks, playability, and can't wait to motorize the hell out of it ! :)

-Really love that ground clerance on the first two axles, right?! :)

but the most ever fantastic thing IMO, the one thing that makes every other discussion about looks etc redundant, is the new, long Pneumatic cylinders...

How many hours have I not pulled my hair out, calculating geometry of liftarms on loaders, eventually giving up because the load ability ended up too low etc...

I love Pneumatics, and hope to see 2 long cylinders opening up that flatbed :D :D

Anyone know what opens the bed ??

this truck is a better set, than I ever dreamed of it could be.. And it is not even yellow... :=)

-The crane looks a bit overscaled on the truck, that's the price of being in possession of big tools ;-)

Have a nice day!

Henrik

Anyone know what opens the bed ??

It appears to be LA's, whether one or 2, it remains to be seen. My guess is that there will be 2 large LA's, but it's definitely motorised as seen in the video. :classic:

Looking at the video with the 12 tooth gear perpendicular to the turntable, the cogs on the turntable must be bevelled too as I don't think this arrangement is possible on the V1 or V2 turntable. Also, if you can imagine the crane at full height and folded in towards the front, so as to tip the clamshell at the front of the tipper - it looks like the jib might struggle to get up high enough to clear the load at the front of the truck. Can anyone else see what I mean? :classic:

SjXtM4k.jpg

What's that below the compressor on the box? Does it say 4 x valves? :classic:

It doesn't really look like the valves we all know, but what does the text say?

Yes, probably LAs..

thats okay as long they will open with whatever load I put in with my Volvo loader :)

4 valves, yes.

Looks as if the boom extender is also Pnm... it gives fit the number of hoses on the upper boom.

Just wondering: With the new LONG pneumatics, does this mean the cylinder brackets on 8275 and 8421 won't be sought after anymore?

Also, and from the pic in post #144, the turntable appears to have a diameter of 9L vs. the current at 7L (with 56 teeth). This suggests the new turntable has 72 teeth. (56×9/7=72) Sweet!

Edited by DrJB

Just wondering: With the new LONG pneumatics, does this mean the cylinder brackets on 8275 and 8421 won't be sought after anymore?

Probably not as much no. 2 cylinders joined together looks terrible anyway.

Also, and from the pic in post #144, the turntable appears to have a diameter of 9L vs. the current at 7L (with 56 teeth). This suggests the new turntable has 72 teeth. (56×9/7=72) Sweet!

I haven't gotten excited for anything in this set until this observation.

:wub:

Sure, plenty of things are interesting, but a larger turntable has a lot of potential for some of the things I want to do but struggle with using the current ones.

Glad I made your day ... lol

Seriously, too many interesting/pricey sets. This Lego addiction is becoming 'expensive'.

Seriously, too many interesting/pricey sets. This Lego addiction is becoming 'expensive'.

Just realized that? :laugh: :laugh:

Gonna be a tough/heated discussion with the kids comes July: 1 week in South Carolina at the beach or ... the last 3 technic sets?

But, I digress. Back on topic. I haven't seen that many interesting sets released together in a while. Perhaps the closest was the telehandler, 4WD off-roader and wheel loader from few years ago.

Edited by DrJB

OK, I can stop being "mildly skeptical" now :sweet:

The turntable looks like it's 0.25M wider at each side by the overlap beyond the red beams. Compared to a 56M turntable at 7M wide this would be 7.5M wide i.e. 60 teeth, with bevelled lower edges like the 28T turntable as observed. That's good for ease of connecting gears to it - no more vertical axle with bevels underneath - simpler and less friction in the geartrain. I would have liked the new turntable to have a larger hole in the middle, perhaps room or a 28T turntable, but the fixing points still have 3M between them so this is most unlikely. The issue is the difficulty of getting 8 hoses through the turntable and still rotating it by a decent angle. I suspect only +/-135 degrees rotation either side of rearwards on the truck would be possible with 8 hoses.

With the longer cylinders comes longer extension. This means more leverage to a mechanism, especially if feedback via a valve is used. The existing 2/7 cylinder would happily drive a valve with a #1 joint; the new 1/11 and 2/11 cylinders would need an extension to the valve lever to get the same angle range for full travel of the cylinder. This means a mechanism driven by the new cylinders would have gearing down for the valve feedback - not a bad thing, given that the valves have greater friction than the old light grey ones.

Glad to see the 1/11 cylinder has a metal shaft as it would otherwise be prone to bending; the slider parts also take sideways forces away from the cylinder. The 1/5 cylinder looks like the existing one. From the box pic, the compressor looks like a 1/6, a blue version of the Unimog compressor. Perhaps the L-motor can drive it faster than the M-motor of the Unimog could. Slow actuation might not be a problem because real truck cranes are operated slowly for safety reasons. The test will be if a 1/11 or 2/11 cylinder is pointing downwards and extending to lower a load; if the top seal is no better than the existing 2/7 cylinders then the load may be lowered inadvertently (when held) or too quickly (when lowered) as air enters via the top seal.

42043 at least meets the £10/function criterion: 2x steering, 4x suspension, 2x diff, 1x engine, 4x pneumatics, 1x compressor, 1x tip, 1x tip flap catch, 1x motor, 2x stabilisers (extend, drop) = 19 without counting the cab tip and door opening, so £170 has good enough play value for money.

New parts value is also good, with a turntable, 3 pneumatic parts and the clam shells; I'm sure someone will use many clam shells in a GBC! Nice to see that the grey curved panels are the old style ones. I prefer those to the new ones (like the blue ones in 42042) because they retain a more aerodynamic appearance. Good use of the hose brackets on the crane; still room to reduce the balloon effect by using more 3.2mm tubing as 8868 did, thoguht eh Unimog tubes were stiffer; I was worried that the nozzles might break when detaching hoses from cylinders and valves but it's OK using nails to prize them off slowly.

The front wheels of 42043 bowing outwards looked a bit dodgy in one pic - hope the front suspension can take the weight OK. Might have needed the Unimog wheel support brackets.

As for buying more than one, I would need to find a use for many wheels as they are a significant proportion of the cost; a truck like this with Unimog wheels wasn't going to happen as it would be twice the parts count and cost; maybe in 6 years when the community is clamoring for a 5000-piece Technic set? I already have so many 6-AA battery boxes too. The grey panels are useful for Space models too, and could accompany my monorail that has a Technic basis. Glad there are not too many red beams as I have plenty of those - I usually build a chassis in black, grey or dark grey. The L-motors will be useful and I could never have enough pneumatic parts; the latter is limited only by the ability to compress air. Since it seems to be 1 compressor per L-motor I would need 10 L-motors each driving a compressor to power larger automated pneumatic models. Since I have many 2/7 cylinders I will have to consider where 1/11s and 2/11s are most useful; rail points use 2/7s end to end quite well for the power requirement (a 1/5 does not have enough power) and they don't need a long travel. Signals would be happy with 1/5s. Perhaps I adapted my models to use what was available previously so it may take more time to expand to make full use of the 1/11s and 2/11s. A steam engine with larger wheels and a crank length of 2-3M might be a good start - using 4-6M of cylinder extension. That should have a fair amount of power. Maybe my Stewart Platform could be enlarged. In the meantime it will be fun experimenting, which is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the hobby.

I would hope for a crane with the jib raised by end-to-end 2/11 cylinders in a couple of years - Mobile Crane MkIII! That is also an application for many wheels - I've seen a real one with 9 axles before.

Someone mentioned a fork lift truck - the 2/11 cylinder is ripe for an 8843 update.

I'm torn between saying "Well done TLG" and "It's about time" :classic: I expect the new cylinders will be put to use in the community a bit faster than Power Functions has been; apart from simple motor drives, PF is only just picking up after 7 years! I think Technic is ahead of Trains in this respect as Technic fans are not still in denial and trying to replicate 9V, nor is the need for a slave motor driver quite so pressing as it is with a multi-loco train!

Mark

deleted, gonna wait and see, but the new turntable has to have either 64 or most likely 72 teeth. 60 simply makes no sense.

"Et pourtant, elle tourne"

Edited by DrJB

Am I the only one believing the wheel rims are white?

Yes, you are. Just compare the wheels to the sides of the dump bed. They are pretty clearly gray.

deleted, gonna wait and see, but the new turntable has to have either 64 or most likely 72 teeth. 60 simply makes no sense.

"Et pourtant, elle tourne"

If the diameter of the new turntable is 9 studs (22-23 teeth, depending on how you measure it), as you predicted, the number of teeth will indeed be around 70-72.

Probably a silly question but what scale is it in? Would it be relative to that of the unimog? I have never seen either vehicle before so I don't really have anything of sorts to convey the size

Probably a silly question but what scale is it in? Would it be relative to that of the unimog? I have never seen either vehicle before so I don't really have anything of sorts to convey the size

It's 8258 scale I think

I thought the consensus was either Space Shuttle or 8880 Super Car for Best Technic Set Ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"42043 at least meets the £10/function criterion: 2x steering, 4x suspension, 2x diff, 1x engine, 4x pneumatics, 1x compressor, 1x tip, 1x tip flap catch, 1x motor, 2x stabilisers (extend, drop) = 19 without counting the cab tip and door opening, so £170 has good enough play value for money."

Preach!

For sure it is in the scale of 8258 and 8285. The Unimog is in a larger scale i think.

42043 at least meets the £10/function criterion: 2x steering, 4x suspension, 2x diff, 1x engine, 4x pneumatics, 1x compressor, 1x tip, 1x tip flap catch, 1x motor, 2x stabilisers (extend, drop) = 19 without counting the cab tip and door opening, so £170 has good enough play value for money.

Eh, wheel chocks Mark, don't forget the wheel chocks :classic: Important function :wink: 1 for each side, is that 1 or 2 functions? :innocent:

Hm, not much coverage :( I want to see more of the Mec Arocs, the Crawler Crane and the Fire Plane - we've only got one blurry picture of that so far.

Hurry up ToyFair visitors!

What i also belive is that the two halves of the new turntable snap together like the small 28 tooth turntable, meaning, that they grab at the outer edges and not in the middle.

This makes the turntable much more stable for cranes and stuff like that. This way constructions will not wobble anymore.

And i will get better wheel bearings for the mustang (hehehehe) :laugh:

Edited by nicjasno

very interested to see the steering mechanism in more detail - I am working on something similar - to make truck steering like the real thing

so many MOCers just do not make the steering realistic like real trucks have,

but it is hard because as you can see in the video the bump steer is ridiculous! probably corrects itself while driving with correct geometry

for the money its a great set - but far too many nicer looking truck MOCs out there that I would 'borrow' designs from to improve this one

but thats what lego want - something technical that you will make changes to... if it was too perfect ....

I'll fix all the suspension flaws and make a video of it on lpepower, once i can get my hands on the set, so don't you worry. :)

Edited by nicjasno

Can someone please list all functions in this set?

So far I could see the following.

1. Hand of God steering operating front 2 axles
  2. Engine with moving pistons - which axles does it connect to?
  3. Pneumatics boom operation - which parts move? Is there air tank?
  4. Stabilisers
  5. Tilting container bed

What else?