Bob De Quatre

LEGO Sci-Fi 2015 Pictures and Rumors

I don't know what the Futuron print update means, and I'm not opposed to updating it in general, but I think the belt is dorky. There is no belt buckle, no pouches, no justification for the existence of the belt, but they decided to add belt loops. WTF? And it covers up one corner of the green triangle which is bad aesthetically.

I don't get it.

It makes sense to me that they would update the printing and even create back printing just to make a unique figure with nostalgic value but not an exact reproduction. Its nice to think it could be for a Futuron revival but it doesn't seem that probable.

It makes sense to me that they would update the printing and even create back printing just to make a unique figure with nostalgic value but not an exact reproduction. Its nice to think it could be for a Futuron revival but it doesn't seem that probable.

But there never was a green Futuron fig, just as with the green Classic Space figs with the Exo Suit, so simply the fact that it was green would make it a unique figure with nostalgic value and not a reproduction without going to the trouble of updating it and also printing the back which none of the Futuron figs had. And thus the strangeness of it. I hope it's not just a terribly mean tease as blarghiflargh said! :cry_sad:

It seems like Lego is building up to something, I could be wrong or looking meaning were there is none.

Lets list the recent classic space releases . . .

1. Classic Space White mininfig 2014

2. Benny's space ship 2014

3. Exo suit 2014

4. City square - Futuron minifig 2015

did I get it all ? is there more to come ?

Edited by jtr

It seems like Lego is building up to something, I could be wrong or looking meaning were there is none.

3. Exo suit 2014

Hopefully!

They reissued all the Classic Space figs in those four-packs, too... Not all that recent, I guess, but worth mentioning. Plus I still need them. :)

Edited by DPrime

You forgot to mention the Blacktron fan, even if he's not a true space minifig, it shows that there is still some love from TLG to the old space factions. So let's hope...

You forgot to mention the Blacktron fan, even if he's not a true space minifig, it shows that there is still some love from TLG to the old space factions. So let's hope...

Well, for the matter we should probably include some of the sci-fi minifigs in the various Collectible Minifig Series, then - lots of shout-outs to Classic Space and Blacktron in that. I have the Space Marines guarding my 6971 base and a, bunch of the recent Space Miners mixed in with some sets too.

Hey, if it's got a moon with something flying around it, it's Classic Space to me!

You know, it really does seem as if they're building up to SOMETHING... I heard something about Benny's Space Base being some kind of set in the future, I think - was that just speculation/wishful thinking?

I wish Lego would just give Benny his own TV show and make Lego Space a real brand with half-hour commercials. But I'm pretty sure they can't do anything like that without breaking some sort of agreement in their Star Wars license. Also the sets would probably have some ridiculous action gimmick shoehorned in.

3. Exo suit 2014

While I certainly hope that you're right, if we play the history back a bit farther, I'm not convinced that we are really building toward something.

2009 - Space Police 3

2010 - CMF Series 1 Spaceman

2011 - CMF Series 3 Space Villain

2012 - CMF Series 6 Intergalactic Girl

2012 - CMF Series 7 Galactic Soldier

I think at this point it would have also made sense to assume that Lego was be building toward something classic space related, but instead we got Galaxy Squad in 2013. Ultimately, I believe that Lego is doing well to cater to young fans as well as AFOLs, and that we will continue to see homages to Classic Space periodically, but I don't think we are going to see a big revival.

Now, I still can't explain why the Futuron astronaut as a new print, and it seems odd to create a new figure with a new print for only that one set. Surely, Lego can't assume that they will drive a large number of sales of a $140 set to Space fans for a single minifigure, but it would be interesting to know how Lego figures the secondary market into their planning. If we see the figure again, my guess is that it would be in a promo set like the white astronaut last year, but we should probably consider that a long shot.

The white classic space minifig did come in a nice box with a 2014 special label. Maybe will see another this year in a 2015 box.

I was thinking about Star Wars getting a "new theme" this year with brand-new sets and characters with The Force Awakens. Could that affect the release of the next Space theme? Afterall, both themes are targeted to the same fans.... maybe they could delay the next Space theme until late 2016

Edited by Robert8

The white classic space minifig did come in a nice box with a 2014 special label. Maybe will see another this year in a 2015 box.

There will be another retro minifig promo for 2015, but I doubt it'd be another Classic Space fig. Classic pirate seems more likely to me.

I was thinking about Star Wars getting a "new theme" this year with brand-new sets and characters with The Force Awakens. Could that affect the release of the next Space theme? Afterall, both themes are targeted to the same fans.... maybe they could delay the next Space theme until late 2016

I think they have pretty well established that Star Wars and Lego Space themes don't really cross paths in terms of target market and canibalizing each other. At a worse case they would do something like Space Police or Power Miners to further differentiate the properties if there was any question. I think the City Space stuff out this year is the more direct conflict.

I think they have pretty well established that Star Wars and Lego Space themes don't really cross paths in terms of target market and canibalizing each other. At a worse case they would do something like Space Police or Power Miners to further differentiate the properties if there was any question. I think the City Space stuff out this year is the more direct conflict.

Surely correct about the City Space, that is seemingly never out at the same time as real Space. But as for the SW thing, we have never had proper Space at the same time as SW movies (with accompanying Lego, obviously the OT doesn't count!) The only sets we had between Insectoids & SP3 was the Mars stuff.

But also there are the Ninjago & Superheroes space ships out there.

Edited by Artanis I

To those who have been speculating/hoping for more Classic Space in TLM2, the release has been pushed back to 2018.

Ultra Agents has a very sci-fi tech aesthetic, and this wave reminds me of Space Police III. It even has a robot dog. I think we will have for it end before we get a real Space theme.

To those who have been speculating/hoping for more Classic Space in TLM2, the release has been pushed back to 2018.

The Lego Movie 2 release pushed back to 2018? Thats rather drastic if the plan was to release it in '15. Am I missing something?

My dream is that when Lego releases another Space line, it is a cross between Mars Mission/Power miners, SP3, Futuron, Blacktron, and a couple of others.

In short, I would like 3 fractions, SP4 with their own vehicles and minifigs, Blacktron 3 with their own vehicles and minifigs and Futuron 2, combining MM, PM, Exploriens and normal civilian space life. :classic:

Oh, and a White-ish colour scheme for Futuron 2 at least, please. You can have Orange/Blue/Black/etc as a secondry colour, but White makes sense because it reflects deadly solar/cosmic radiation better than other colours!

TLM2 was originally slated for a 2017 release. Production on at least two other movies seems to have caused this delay, according to postings on IMDb.

Something with the Classic Space emblem seems to be where the design is headed. Versions of the power armor have already made their way into regular sets. When Space does make a return, I expect to see them used.

but White makes sense because it reflects deadly solar/cosmic radiation better than other colours!

I am sure that's the way Lego look at it too :tongue:.

I am sure that's the way Lego look at it too :tongue:.

Lol. You can never be too careful! :tongue:

I wonder why lego are still releasing space shuttles? NASA decommisioned them in 2011.

I'd be more interested in a lego Orion Spacecraft! With lunar lander.... Now that would classifiy as a prequel space set, and its our near future in RL. :blush:

Edited by fossil1999

Lol. You can never be too careful! :tongue:

I wonder why lego are still releasing space shuttles? NASA decommisioned them in 2011.

I'd be more interested in a lego Orion Spacecraft! With lunar lander.... Now that would classifiy as a prequel space set, and its our near future in RL. :blush:

I wondered the same thing, the 2012 line seemed like they would be the last shuttles we would get. Its not that long ago and now we get another city space line, when we first heard about it I wondered if it would be a little set in the future and even be a prequel to space. I guess we had that with alien conquest. I loved that line and it help get me back into Lego. It was great because it could o with city and space. I would love to see a first steps into deep space line maybe even pre classic space kind of like Enterprise (the Star Trek show).

Ultra Agents has a very sci-fi tech aesthetic, and this wave reminds me of Space Police III. It even has a robot dog. I think we will have for it end before we get a real Space theme.

I thought Ultra Agents was technically a Space theme, as Solomon Blaze is a younger soldier in Galaxy Squad, and then an older agent in Astro City?

I thought Ultra Agents was technically a Space theme, as Solomon Blaze is a younger soldier in Galaxy Squad, and then an older agent in Astro City?

That's kind of a tough question. Here's one of the designer's words on the subject:

The brief we got was that it was suppose to take place 20 years after the victory of Galaxy Squad. As for any connection with the previous Agents, I was always under the assumption that this was a reboot for a new generation of builders.

On the one hand, their brief would seem to suggest that it's a Space theme. But if we agree that it's a "reboot" of Agents, then it's actually under the City themes.

Granted, there is the fact that it happens in (presumably) space...except that so does Ninjago. Ninjago exists on its own planet, a fact that is confirmed as since Project: Arcticus. (The shown constellations bear no resemblance to those around Earth, nor the land masses.) Thus, I don't think it's too big of a stretch to keep Ultra Agents under "City themes," or continue to leave it under "Action and Adventure," where it currently is located.

Apparently Ultra Agents is a future theme, like Space Police III except on Earth. I would call it a Future City action theme. The current Police theme seems to have gone the other direction with a rural/swamp environment.