I haven't been keeping up on BIO15 news for a while.. can anyone fill me in on some recent developments?

Not much, I don't think. We got some images of Tahu's expressions from the animations via Bionicle's Facebook. And we should be seeing set reviews (official ones) of the three largest Toa soon. BZP already has Kopaka's up.

My only issue with that photo is that it shows how the new hau continues the trend of the masks getting gradually smaller. I thought the stars mask was strangely small next to the mata one, and this is smaller still, yet Tahu is larger than he's even been.

Tahu's "larger than he's ever been" by exactly one module, since the new Tahu is 27 modules tall and the 2008 one was 26 modules tall (not counting the stabilizer on the top of the head). Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, the new Hau is actually wider than the Stars version, just not nearly as long. Bear in mind that its appearance in VBBN's pic appears to be a bit distorted because the 2001 and 2010 versions are tilted forwards, towards the camera, while the 2015 version is tilted backwards, away from the camera. VBBN, you can correct me if I'm mistaken on any of these points.

Tahu's "larger than he's ever been" by exactly one module, since the new Tahu is 27 modules tall and the 2008 one was 26 modules tall (not counting the stabilizer on the top of the head). Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, the new Hau is actually wider than the Stars version, just not nearly as long. Bear in mind that its appearance in VBBN's pic appears to be a bit distorted because the 2001 and 2010 versions are tilted forwards, towards the camera, while the 2015 version is tilted backwards, away from the camera. VBBN, you can correct me if I'm mistaken on any of these points.

Nope you're spot on. The picture really distorts the size of the hau; I think it's size fits his body just fine.

15535429817_f0a0b7488f_c.jpg

Onua's pakari, on the other hand, is way too small IMO.

Whoo man. Tahu looks great. Little gappy in his shoulders and hips, but otherwise. He's fantastic.

Comparison pic, please? (I'm sure there'll be one for the review, but I'd like to see).

That's glorious, VBBN! Really looking forward to your written reviews. BZP's video review is a little too long for me.

EDIT: Derp, completely slipped my mind that BZP uploads text reviews with its videos.

Edited by Lockon Stratos

It was never about "convincing" people, just trying to contribute to the overall discussion. But since that seems to be a contest (and I don't have the necessary skill to mspaint some random lines, ignoring that the masks have been given expressions), I'll gladly bow out; Calvin would be proud (Hobbes, not so much).

I certainly didn't mean to imply it was a contest. This is Polynesian robot LEGO toys were talking about, best not to take it too seriously. All I meant was that, initially, my thoughts tended the direction I had proposed, whilst after that post I felt more inclined to that perspective. I agree, it totally doesn't matter 'who is right.' Just sharing my thoughts.

Edited by Tazakk

Comparison pic, please? (I'm sure there'll be one for the review, but I'd like to see).

Unfortunately Tahu mata is the only Toa Mata I have for actual set comparisons, but here you can see the mask on Onua

15535437448_0622d3b00f_c.jpg

(I still need to get pictures of the new pakari next to the old one)

I guess it's not that small, but I feel like it could be a little wider or something.

Considering Onua is actually one of the shortest Toa (despite also being the widest) I think the size of his mask looks fine. I worry that if you made it wider it would feel less like the original Kanohi Pakari.

It's not so bad. At least it doesn't look out of proportion compared to the rest of him (as far as proportion can go for a guy with shoulders that wide :P ).

I think that even filling in the two square gaps on the size of the mask would have helped slightly. I think I prefer the very smooth face of the original Pakari- This one has a lot more shaping to it, I'm not sure if that affects how it's size looks against the wide shoulders.

With that said, it's one of the masks that looks closest to it's original form, so there's that.

I think of Onua as something like a wrestler. The fully upright and straight on stance doesn't suit him. Crouching somewhat with a slight lean forward, photographed at about a 20* angle. The static pose doesn't work for him.

I think Kopaka's mask looks closer to the original, than Onua's.

Hence why I said "one of the masks that looks closest" Kopaka's is for sure the closest, I would say followed by the Pakari and then Hau. After that, well I'll save judgement until I have them in hand..

After those three, I'd probably go Pohatu, Gali, Lewa. The Kakama has the right shape, and the vents mimic the cheek slits. The Kaukau has a similar design, but overall seems like a stylized version of the Mata Kaukau. The Miru seems the most altered. It has it's smile, but the added vents and segmented look on the face sets it apart from the original.

I have to know. Are there half pins used in Onua's Claws/Shoulders http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=4274

Or are those lighsaber holes molded in?

They're not molded in; they do indeed use the half pins. I used to question why, but after watching BZP's unboxing video it's clear they're used in the combiner.

Nope you're spot on. The picture really distorts the size of the hau; I think it's size fits his body just fine.

VBBN, thanks so much for the picture. 2015 Tahu really looks good Model wise. Is anyone planning to do more Comparison shots? (especially with Karda Nui Toa)

(especially with Karda Nui Toa)

Indeed. A comparison shot with all the incarnations would be great.

They're not molded in; they do indeed use the half pins. I used to question why, but after watching BZP's unboxing video it's clear they're used in the combiner.

To clarify, that combiner involves attaching that rocky armor addon to the shoulderpads. It took me a moment to see that.

i get the feeling that the large sized toa is shorter than hero factory xl heroes. VBBN, if it's possible, can you put a size comparison between them and XL heroes (or hero) in your review later?

Whoo man. Tahu looks great. Little gappy in his shoulders and hips, but otherwise. He's fantastic.

15303874927_a5a4cf31ef_z.jpg

I put this up a month or so ago, back when these were the only masks I had. I'll have comparisons with the other three as well at some point, but this was accessible.

What's the difference between the two trans-orange Haus that I'm still super jelly of? One looks like it has some added opaqueness.

Thanks for that, DV. They're surprisingly small! And I thought the Mata masks were small.

As seen in the other comparison pics, it's a lot to do with the angle, since they exist on a slant. Onua's mask is obviously a lot smaller, but that's compared to one of the biggest Mata masks anyway =P.