Wait. Hinged masks, wouldn't that mean that they aren't backward compatible?

*pained screams heard worldwide*

hinged masks = weaker connection = possible function 'games'

Has anyone ever tried making a group project for a fan-made Bionicle MMOG? That level of graphics isn't a very hard level to match with today's freeware, and you probably wouldn't have the LEGO lawyers to worry about as much as you would for a LU remake...

Heck, I could probably make a pretty good Po-Koro, textures and all.

Anyone else like the idea?

I'm sure TTV and XONAR could tell you aaaaalllll about that

EDIT: Misread MMOG as MNOG, though response is still somewhat relevant

Edited by Chro

hinged masks = weaker connection = possible function 'games'

But the masks still won't be backwards compatible. That's what I'm mostly concerned about in the sets. I'd sacrifice 'games' for backwards compatibility any day.

Well, that's pretty subjective, but I do personally prefer it for a Toa of Water. I've grown rather attached to Mata Blue for lightning characters ever since Surge.

Her color is dark azure, a shade darker than the Azure seen in Thornraxx and the IFB beasts. It's a very clear comparison when looking at the Gali image next to the LDD color palette.

What, it's not medium azure? It's the Alien Conquest azure, right? Aww.. I don't like mixing bone and shell colours (so I'll never combine Gali's shells with the Beasts' bones), but I don't see the point of changing shade. It's Gukko's beak all over again.

What, it's not medium azure? It's the Alien Conquest azure, right? Aww.. I don't like mixing bone and shell colours (so I'll never combine Gali's shells with the Beasts' bones), but I don't see the point of changing shade. It's Gukko's beak all over again.

I could be completely wrong, but it sure does like Dark Azure when comparing it to the palette. :/

Edited by Mesonak

Everyone keeps saying the masks won't be backward compatible, but I really expect this to be compatible with the Brain Attack headpiece, and possibly the Glatorian head as well. Those nubs on either side look like they'd fit nicely in the Technic axle holes on the sides of those heads (or the similar axle holes on Y-joints and Hero Factory/Glatorian hands, which further increases their versatility).

It probably won't be compatible with Mata or Metru heads... but hardly anything in the past few years has been, and many of the Metru-style masks, at least, are compatible with the Brain Attack head. And while the Mata masks don't work with the Brain Attack head, we're getting new versions of all of them which probably will, so I don't see much reason to get bent out of shape over this.

I could be completely wrong, but it sure does like Dark Azure when comparing it to the palette. :/

I don't see the point of doing that. They've been doing a palette clean-up since..2007 (?), removing those useless Clickits colours and underused colours like the shade of Gukko's beak.

You can use a lot of different colours with System because there are a lot of themes using it, so you end up getting almost all basic bricks in almost all colours. But the CCBS is limited as its is since it runs on two themes at most per year, so they should stick to a limited colour palette.

They did well so far, but Gali's colour feels like a copout to me. I hope Lewa is bright green, otherwise Green Lantern's pieces are going to become nearly useless.

The "Coming Soon" page is back if you search Bionicle on Lego.com

I noticet it also.... :P

(laughs on your picture)

I noticed it also.... :P

(laughs on your picture)

EDIT 2: Whoops!!!

I, for one, hate the notion of clip-on masks like the Constraction Knights Kingdom figures. I would much prefer an axle connection. Much easier to work with on MoCs. With clip-on, they would really only work with the head they were designed to attach to (or something similar) whether that be the BA head or otherwise.

In other news: yay! Bionicle!

I'm actually kinda hoping it's a feature to make the MoC slip over other masks. I realize this gives the mask somewhat backwards compatibility with Glatorian and BA heads, but none of the new heads are truly compatible with old masks; Metru Era masks onward don't really work with the BA heads. Sure, they fit, but it both leaves a protruding chin underneath and doesn't fill up the eyeholes on most masks.

I also don't see how this connection would be more versatile than the previous axle connection, considering it has a far decreased number of pieces it can now attach to.

I, for one, hate the notion of clip-on masks like the Constraction Knights Kingdom figures. I would much prefer an axle connection. Much easier to work with on MoCs. With clip-on, they would really only work with the head they were designed to attach to (or something similar) whether that be the BA head or otherwise.

In other news: yay! Bionicle!

I never owned any of the KK sets, so how do the click visors compare to the IFB beast jaws from this year?

It is? How are you searching this?

It doesn't show on my end.

This doesn't redirect a coming soon page for you?

Edited by Dorek

I never owned any of the KK sets, so how do the click visors compare to the IFB beast jaws from this year?

If I remember correctly, the KK helmets just kinda flop up and down unlike the Beast jaws which were more ratcheted and clicky (or however you want to describe their locking mechanism).

Edited by Kalhiki

The IFB beast jaws open in stages like a ratchet joint. Knights' kingdom visors clipped on and then just flapped about. if you held the figure upside-down, the visor would flip open. it was annoying. So assuming these masks flip up at all (and I hope they don't), with any luck they'll stay tight.

I'm actually kinda hoping it's a feature to make the MoC slip over other masks. I realize this gives the mask somewhat backwards compatibility with Glatorian and BA heads, but none of the new heads are truly compatible with old masks; Metru Era masks onward don't really work with the BA heads. Sure, they fit, but it both leaves a protruding chin underneath and doesn't fill up the eyeholes on most masks.

I also don't see how this connection would be more versatile than the previous axle connection, considering it has a far decreased number of pieces it can now attach to.

If this is the case, then maybe the skull spiders would have this same feature? That would be pretty cool.

Got to say that I'd rather have a proper Mask or helmet connection, rather than a clipon function. Especially since repeated use of the joint will weaken it.

Seeing how the Mask of Creation has flip-hinges reminds me of the intro cutscene to LoZ MM when Skull kid briefly flipped up Majora's mask in the woods :laugh:. All we need now is a 2015 Majora's mask that can do that. LOL!

Well, what interesting happenings! I suppose I ought to weigh in.

What struck me first in the simplistic teaser text is that it implies a return to BIONICLE's more mystic roots, which I am glad of. Though I liked it when BIONICLE became progressively more sci-fi from 2004 and onwards, it wouldn't have been as satisfying without the initially mysterious and magical build-up from 2001 to 2003. Even after 2003, Kanohi, Energized Proto, etc. were practically magic, and I liked that, as it helped keep the story anchored in fantasy, no matter how many sci-fi elements were added. That the new BIONICLE might return fully to the fantastic for its first few years is a delight.

Sadly, the teaser still leaves it in the air over whether or not it's a reboot.

Regarding the mask itself, it surprises me that clips attach it to the head! It reminds me of Slizer visors, of all things. From the looks of it, it ought to be backwards-compatible with the Glatorian and Brain Attack HF heads, but not working with the original Mata and Metru heads is a bummer. Other than that, the mask is beautiful.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

ILLUSIONS, Michael.

COME ON!

I think it's safe to say all the masks will probably attach like this. Considering the gears are back, I'm guessing the mask fits on like this to once again bring back the "knock off the masks" functions. I mean, look at all the other early year BIONICLE nods we're seeing in these. It just sort of makes sense. And while people will be quick to say "this is just how sales of every theme work", the 2001-2003 era of BIONICLE was massively more profitable than the later years. I can see LEGO looking at that, analyzing their sales, media, etc, and deciding to do something similar in order to try and capture lightning twice.

I think DV may have been right, darn it

:pir-wink:

Edited by Darth Vader

Actually, would the clip-on thing even work for a knock-off-the-mask-game? It's got two connection points, one on either side, and most of the masks seem to be rather close-fitting to the head. It looks like it would just... wobble. Wait, didn't they promise "Wobblers" in the original leak?

Hey, if we get a new head, they might go the same way as the BA head and put the other joints on the front and top, to make it backward compatible.