Another nice surprise are the stickers: I thought they were grey and black, turns out they're silver and dark blue instead!

What? *Checks his Kopaka* So that really is dark blue, I always assume that part of the stickers was black :laugh: .

It's crazy how many concepts the figure manages to combine together flawlessly: a Roman hoplite, a Space Marine, an Inuit hunter and.. well, Kopaka.

This is one of the biggest points in the reboot's favour, in my opinion. All the Toa have got some pretty neat upgrades, but there's still a clear resemblance to their G1 builds. Each one of them has something in his or her build that, when I look at it, definitely makes me think "Yeah, okay, I can see where they were looking at the Mata/Nuva designs." Tahu's lava surfboard is pretty similar to his Nuva design, as are Lewa's "wings", but there's also plenty of fresh ideas to make it not feel like a cheap rehash. Gali's trident, Onua's hammer, and Pohatu's boomerangs are things I never would have considered those characters could/should have, but they make sense when you look at them. I never got any of the Mistoka sets because I couldn't buy that these were the same characters that I'd grown up with, but with the G2 figs, it seems to be a very natural "evolution" of the character designs. All of the figures have incorporated some new concepts, but they're still the same old Toa. (And yeah, Kopaka is one of the more impressive ones.)

Am I the only one that feels as if Lewa and Pohatu even have some influences from their Phantoka designs (the vents in Lewa's mask, Pohatu having boomerangs with propellers inside of them, etc.)?

Am I the only one that feels as if Lewa and Pohatu even have some influences from their Phantoka designs (the vents in Lewa's mask, Pohatu having boomerangs with propellers inside of them, etc.)?

I definitely agree about Lewa's mask. I would guess that that was intentionally done due to Lewa's prominence in marketing material for the Phantoka (as opposed to the typical pattern of Tahu taking center stage). Pohatu's mask might possibly take cues from his Phantoka mask, but it's hard to say for sure largely because his Phantoka mask was pretty much the most accurate 2008 Toa mask to the original anyway. On that note, I do think Gali's new mask takes deliberate cues from the more feminine reshaping of the Kaukau in Mask of Light (which I imagine would be considered one of her most well-known media appearances).

Yeah, Lewa's takes cues from the Phantoka one and Gali's from MoL, which I'm glad because those (used to be) my favorite versions of their masks. Pohatu's reminds me more of Photok's than his Phantoka version.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

I definitely agree about Lewa's mask. I would guess that that was intentionally done due to Lewa's prominence in marketing material for the Phantoka (as opposed to the typical pattern of Tahu taking center stage). Pohatu's mask might possibly take cues from his Phantoka mask, but it's hard to say for sure largely because his Phantoka mask was pretty much the most accurate 2008 Toa mask to the original anyway. On that note, I do think Gali's new mask takes deliberate cues from the more feminine reshaping of the Kaukau in Mask of Light (which I imagine would be considered one of her most well-known media appearances).

Yup, the first thing I thought of when I saw Gali's mask was her appearance from the Mask of Light! That is a good thing, because I adore the looks of the movie masks and I'm glad to see some influences from them. I also think that Pohatu's mask does look like an evolution of the Phantoka Kakama Nuva, but I don't really see that many similarities in Lewa's. Noting the influences of their 08 versions, I also like how Tahu's mask has a bit of the side profile of the Mistika Hau Nuva- with the forward chin and the sloped forehead past the eyebrow ridge.

I bought the Protector of Ice today, and I really like him. Design and built are great (except for his stubby arms), and he has a whole bunch of neat parts.

I'm unsure which other Protectors I already want to get as well though. Jungle, Earth and Water look good, Stone is so-so, only Fire doesn't interest me that much.

I'm unsure which other Protectors I already want to get as well though. Jungle, Earth and Water look good, Stone is so-so, only Fire doesn't interest me that much.

Out of Jungle, Earth and Water, I'd say Jungle. Bright colors, looks cool. He's a nice figure. After that I'd say Earth. Still a good figure, but the colors are too dark for my taste. And Water... I just don't like that figure. Colors are all over the place and unbalanced. Just looks like a mess.

Jungle is great IMO. He's basically the perfect protector at the design level. All limbs articulated, cool weapon, back armour. Literally my ONLY gripe with him is his busy colour scheme. Stone is good too, but his lack of back armour, and awkward upper leg armour placement (which actually prevents him from standing up straight) put him below Jungle for me. But yeah, I agree that Ice is great.

Got my package with Gali, Onua, PoE, PoS, and the hero pack today. The trans-Hau(fire mask thing) is stunningly stunning. Gali is more feminine then I expected and her trident axe is huge! I love it <3 while Onua is better then I expected, and I expected him to be pretty good. And as for the protector's, well, they're cute and small so not much to say in that department. :P

I'm thinking of picking up Gali and Onua as my Target has them on clearance currently. Are they worth $10-$13 respectively?

To me they're worth the 15-20. XD But yeah definitely good buys. I recommend checking out some reviews on the internet first though if your having trouble contemplating.

I haven't opened Onua yet, although I do have high hopes. Gali is just okay; the colors are a mess, and the design is flawed in some places, but it also has some really cool parts, and the trident is a legit weapon.

In other news, Episode 8 has been released in English. Personally, I think that even the sometimes forced lesson of unity in the old movies was better than the way the Toa learned Unity in this episode (and certainly better than the way Onua said it!), but I do have to keep in mind that these shorts are more like commercials with some story, and the real story is coming with the books (I hope)

This is getting ridiculous. Eight minisodes released in English by LEGO themselves? Sure, this episode is a partial exception, but it's still ridiculous that we're not even out of March and the story for the first half of the year is virtually concluded already. Not as huge a stuff-up as what CN did with season 4 of NINJAGO, but considering this is LEGO's own in-house team...

Edited by Mandate

In regards to the Protectors, all have their merits.

• Ice - Cool colours, heavy armour and a nice shield.
  • Water - Interesting weapon and tons of transparent parts.
  • Stone - An even number of dark orange and transparent neon green parts, and flame pieces in a new, unique colour. Also, the pepper grinder of DEATH
  • Earth - Transparent purple bones, a very sinister looking mask, and a great build.
  • Jungle - A great mix of parts and colours, and a fantastic weapon.
  • Fire - Cool shoulder-mounted cannon, fascinating build.

(I'm sure y'all can guess which my favourite is :P)

Edited by LewiMOC

Yeah, I got PoS just for the pepper grinder thing alone. Instead of getting PoS I'm planning to just order a bucketload of parts (40 tr. purple bones and 10 tr. purple mace halves, amongst other things).

Yeah, I got PoS just for the pepper grinder thing alone. Instead of getting PoS I'm planning to just order a bucketload of parts (40 tr. purple bones and 10 tr. purple mace halves, amongst other things).

Do you mean PoE for the second Protector you mentioned? The trans purple you mention appears in PoE, not PoS, but easy mistake/typo to make :classic:

Anyway, all this new talk about Protectors reminded me to share my minor modifications to the Protector sets. They're only very minor mods, I don't think they warrant their own topic. Guess which one out of the 6 has not had any modification done :wink:

16728644898_3a19343a65_z.jpg

Modified Bionicle Protectors by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

16728895980_f268bb0444_z.jpg

Modified Bionicle Protectors by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

I'm still waiting on the Ninjago Master Wu Dragon to be released so I can give PoI white feet.

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

In other news, Episode 8 has been released in English.

The voice actor was so....bad. All of the characters were speaking so loud that their voices all sounded the same, with just a slightly different change in pitch. And I have to ask: why did Gali stab Lewa in the back and throw him in the air? What if he fell off the bridge and died?

But yeah, I liked the episode. :grin: That LOSS beatdown was amazing....

Edited by LN-01354

Because she was trying to prove to the others that she could defeat LoSS by herself. And besides, Lewa can fly.

+1 for common sense

This is getting ridiculous. Eight minisodes released in English by LEGO themselves? Sure, this episode is a partial exception, but it's still ridiculous that we're not even out of March and the story for the first half of the year is virtually concluded already. Not as huge a stuff-up as what CN did with season 4 of NINJAGO, but considering this is LEGO's own in-house team...

Could it be that there are actually three seasons this year?

Not just one for the toa and one for skullguys.

Edited by GK733

Do you mean PoE for the second Protector you mentioned? The trans purple you mention appears in PoE, not PoS, but easy mistake/typo to make :classic:

Anyway, all this new talk about Protectors reminded me to share my minor modifications to the Protector sets. They're only very minor mods, I don't think they warrant their own topic. Guess which one out of the 6 has not had any modification done :wink:

Yeah, that's what I meant. What's weird is that I remember typing PoE. Also, my guess would be PoJ. PoW has a different backpack setup, PoI has lower arms, PoE has a completely different back build and weapon (quite nice, but I would remove the spike on top and make the lower part of the handle shorter) and PoS is missing his second armor add-on. PoF is completely different, as it's now mostly a solid splotch of red with some gold thrown in.

Edited by DraikNova

Could it be that there are actually three seasons this year?

Not just one for the toa and one for skullguys.

I believe their is only a winter and summer season of animations (which is still being made) so unless the summer animations are split into two story lines, i doubt it sadly.

Though i would'nt be suprised if the Summer animations sets up the Winter 2016 story (similar to how the Winter Animations set up the summer animations)

Edited by Scarilian

Yeah, that's what I meant. What's weird is that I remember typing PoE. Also, my guess would be PoJ. PoW has a different backpack setup, PoI has lower arms, PoE has a completely different back build and weapon (quite nice, but I would remove the spike on top and make the lower part of the handle shorter) and PoS is missing his second armor add-on. PoF is completely different, as it's now mostly a solid splotch of red with some gold thrown in.

Well, E and S are close together enough on the keyboard so it's no biggie. I do it myself after all :classic:

You're correct, it's PoJ. But you did point out something on PoS - I forgot I removed the piston add-on for another build, and forgot to buy another to replace it! :laugh: Same reason why PoF's armour is now gold instead of silver, I borrowed his silver piston add-on for another build. The actual modification there is the addition of back armour. PoE - it's the same basic body build, just added some back shells and probably moved a pin or two about (can't remember, I did it back in January). I personally like long-staffed hammer with spike - I wanted to keep as many of the original elements that came with PoE as possible. Also PoW has more dark azure (which made me invent the rather fragile propeller arrangement you see) to match it's mask.

Thanks for the input about the Protectors.

I think I'll pick up PoJ next, since I like his overall design, and he comes with some parts I really want to get as often as possible (the parts in question are the new armour pieces and this little TECHNIC thingy that is super neat that Lewa and PoI also have).

After that, it's probably PoW, because I like blue sets.