Just built the 42144 Material Handler and noticed that the Dark Bluish Gray pneumatic cylinders can be actuated much faster than the odler yellow version, they seem to no longer have the airflow restrictions (small holes). Can anyone else confirm?

43 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Just built the 42144 Material Handler and noticed that the Dark Bluish Gray pneumatic cylinders can be actuated much faster than the odler yellow version, they seem to no longer have the airflow restrictions (small holes). Can anyone else confirm?

I tested them and indeed the new cylinders move with less resistance. The DBG cylinder extends and retracts with 3 full strokes of the large pump, while the yellow one extends with 5 and retracts with 4 strokes. I don't know if it's because the old ones have been worn out in use though or perhaps the lubricant has stiffened over time. The inlet holes seem to be identical in size.

2 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

By piece count this may be more, but there are quite a few dual ones there (left-right mirrored / two pieces that must work together / width variation on the same tires), and a few single-use pieces. I wonder if we take that into account (for example counting duals as single part) if we actually have more true novelties for this year?

Possibly, though it would get pretty subjective on what to count at some point, I think! It looks like both this year and last year introduced three sets of two mirrored panels, so that wouldn't make a difference, but grouping tire/rim sets, combining swashplate parts into one module, and ignoring single-use parts could get a different outcome, perhaps

29 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Possibly, though it would get pretty subjective on what to count at some point, I think! It looks like both this year and last year introduced three sets of two mirrored panels, so that wouldn't make a difference, but grouping tire/rim sets, combining swashplate parts into one module, and ignoring single-use parts could get a different outcome, perhaps

Actually 4 pairs of mirrored parts last year, three pairs of panels plus Daytona rims.

Grouping parts together beside the mirrored ones doesn't seem right considering that it's Lego where practically any part can be used in multiple ways, except when they come pre-assembled (like motors or pneumatic cylinders). Same for so-called single-use parts, as there has been numerous instances of seemingly single-use part being used in a creative ways beside the original purpose. I'm not saying there isn't parts that are in practice "single-use" (who the hell would use a Mindstorms hub as anything other than a Mindstorms hub) but those tend to be pretty special cases with very good reasons for their difficulty in repurposing. Tyre/rim combinations are definitely not something to group together, as sometimes rims get to be used alone and most of the time there's multiple rims that fit a tyre or vice versa.

6 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Actually 4 pairs of mirrored parts last year, three pairs of panels plus Daytona rims.

Grouping parts together beside the mirrored ones doesn't seem right considering that it's Lego where practically any part can be used in multiple ways, except when they come pre-assembled (like motors or pneumatic cylinders). Same for so-called single-use parts, as there has been numerous instances of seemingly single-use part being used in a creative ways beside the original purpose. I'm not saying there isn't parts that are in practice "single-use" (who the hell would use a Mindstorms hub as anything other than a Mindstorms hub) but those tend to be pretty special cases with very good reasons for their difficulty in repurposing. Tyre/rim combinations are definitely not something to group together, as sometimes rims get to be used alone and most of the time there's multiple rims that fit a tyre or vice versa.

Yeah, that's why I probably wouldn't bother with that kind of comparison.

A Mindstorms hub would make a pretty good counterweight, I guess! :)

For those interested: parts used in sets that were released in June 2023 are listed on Pick a Brick, although very few appear to be in stock.
Sets released that month include the Mars Rover, John Deere, blue Bolide and the Pac-Man arcade (useful parts include black 16t gear and new chain links).

I just discovered that the "toilet paper" panel can be used effectively as a switcher for a transmission driving ring!

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

It might not be useful very often, but in this case here, where the 7x11 frame prevents me from fitting typical shifters, it just might be perfect!

I haven't given it any extreme testing yet, but it seems to work fine in this relatively low-torque WIP!

8 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@2GodBDGloryCan you stack 2 in opposing directions and center the interface in line with the center of the driving ring to eliminate the backlash? I don’t have that part to test it.

If you mean what I think you mean, I did try that last night when I was messing around. It could kind of work, but there's a couple issues. First, the axle holes look like they'd be about 1.5 studs apart, which isn't easy to do. Second, you'd only be able to shift gears by sliding that whole assembly, which is a fair bit less convenient than just rotating an axle.

I'm not convinced the backlash with this solution is a big problem, at least for a two-speed gearbox like this. I think the worst-case scenario would be one where you're wanting to be in neutral but the driving ring wanders into a gear, which is usually the opposite of what the driving ring wants to do. Plus, I don't really use neutral anyways!

Here's the other ones I can think of:

Worm gear

Yamaha shift fork

Driving ring lever

The last option is the one I've found most practical for general-purpose use!

7 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Here's the other ones I can think of:

Worm gear

Yamaha shift fork

Driving ring lever

The last option is the one I've found most practical for general-purpose use!

also 

technic disc brake inner hub

technic inner hub

6 stud shooter inner core

small CV joint female (non reinforced) (but it isn't a thru hole)

6.5L shock absorber end (but it isnt a thru hole)

long reinforced cv joint female

technic reel (for string)

Edited by SNIPE

For a more obscure and unhelpful addition, the Bionicle zamor sphere launcher (the axle hole opening into the chamber). It does have several other connection points.

We have new Technic parts on BaP. So LEGO CAN recolor a color locked pin/axle if they want. Pearl Dark Grey axle+pin is still better than blue. 16T gear in blk is also nice. Now if only they'd change those ugly blue 3l pins once and for all...
Odvt1W5.png

15 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Pearl Dark Grey axle+pin is still better than blue

And unfortunately friction is almost always better than no friction. The pearl dark gray pins don’t have friction. They’re the same axle pin that is normally tan or light gray in pre 2000s sets.

2 minutes ago, LvdH said:

And unfortunately friction is almost always better than no friction. The pearl dark gray pins don’t have friction. They’re the same axle pin that is normally tan or light gray in pre 2000s sets.

Oh, didn't notice that. Then it's useless. We are stuck with blue. :((

I think Lego could use axles/pins in black, lbg, dbg and white. And some cases tan, so they would operate with a more sophisticated colour-coding system if they wanted to. Not sure if that would mean any disadvantages in the building experience, but at least this SHOULD be the standard at 18+ sets.

I think recoloring 3L pins to dark blue would be a compromise. There are also some things that can be confused in this system like example with 4519, 77765, 65249 all available in same, gray color.

Looks like some kind of new link in this Orient Express set from Brickset:

640x348.png

9L, and half a stud wide?

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

Has anybody seen custom Studio parts for the Audi set? It's missing the new wheel hubs and the tires. I checked @Philo's home page and they are absent in the 2023H2 parts pack, while all the Liebherr crane and Yamaha parts are there. Why is that? Any chance of making them @Philo?

Edited by gyenesvi

@gyenesvi indeed I overlooked these parts! Will take a bit of time, but I'll do them (if nobody beats me on the finish line😁). Thanks for the heads up! Tell me if you spot other missing recent Technic parts...

Edited by Philo

18 minutes ago, Philo said:

@gyenesvi indeed I overlooked these parts! Will take a bit of time, but I'll do them (if nobody beats me on the finish line😁). Thanks for the heads up! Tell me if you spot other missing recent Technic parts...

Thanks a lot! I doubt anybody else would be working on new parts but you.. And if we wait for the Studio developers, it's never going to arrive unfortunately..

One question for the mods. Is talking about 3D printed parts okay here?

I'm waiting to get my hands on the 24 tooth clutch gear and shorter gearbox shift rings, but meanwhile I just designed and printed my own versions for testing:

640x512.jpg

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

One question for the mods. Is talking about 3D printed parts okay here?

I'm waiting to get my hands on the 24 tooth clutch gear and shorter gearbox shift rings, but meanwhile I just designed and printed my own versions for testing:

I'll let the Technic mod have the final say. But I'm general, your kind of post about 3D printing is fine. You're not promoting a 3rd party brand. You're not selling a product. You're just looking to have a discussion about an element to add to your Lego model.