Gideon

HSS: Streets of Barqa

Way awesome Gideon, really beautiful moc.

And the lights really crown the whole thing. Moc expert is what you are.

This is amazing! I love your painstaking attention to detail. The city seems alive! My favorite part has to be the cartographer's shop with the rolled up maps, and the secluded garden. The foliage looks fantastic with the tan colors of the city walls. Great job!

Not sure I can add anything to the comments, but this is truly incredible. There really ought to be something in castle similar to space's "SHIP"--this would certainly qualify!

Simply A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Great work Gideon! :thumbup: :thumbup: I love as it has ights and it's full of action! :classic:

Excellent work Jonas!, Im glad I had a chance to see it live in Skaebaek! , (to bad it ended up in a corner there and not beside the GoH build),

Definitely a masterpiece :moar: The architecture, layout, and color choices are all splendid :thumbup:

What I like most though, are all the little details packed in: the vendours' stands, stepping stones, garden, and thief being caught by the guards :wub: Stunning lighting as well.

Thanks for all the encouraging words!

I'm glad that an everyday life build can be noticed as well, GoH is so much more than just army building in my view :classic:

My only comment would be on the clocktower. I would have put a clock on the left side so that people on the central place can see it.

I was turning it back and forth a few times trying to decide how to place it. On one hand I agree that the people in the square should be able to see the clock, but on the other hand this is on the outskirts of the city so the clock should be viewable from the city center :wink:

In the end the deciding factor was that this build was going to be displayed and I wanted to turn it towards the visitors.

Where are those tan gothic arches from? Don't remember seeing them in any sets.

Bricklink of course! They are so far only available in the Simpsons house, but fortunately the new Santa's Workshop also contains a few. Will surely pick up a lot more of these (not least because the BL order I got these from were missing 17 arches, so even though I got those missing ones refunded I still have one arch which is missing one side...)

May I ask what your exposure time was to get those shots? Also, I will have to share this MOC with Rob Hendrix, the owner of Lifelites and a member of my local LUG. I'm sure he will be stunned by this build.

The photos with the lights were taken with between 5 s and 10 s exposure time. I also let the flash fire to light up the rest of the build somewhat, so it was a bit of experimentation before I got the balance between the rest of the build and the lights in a way I liked. In the end I think I used a tad to much flash however...

I wonder if he was the guy I bought my LifeLites from at Brickworld?

The only suggestion I have would be to not use quite as much tan for the buildings - if the bottom stories of the two house-like structures were brown or something, it would help to keep them from blending in with the wall and sidewalk, IMHO.

I'd agree about color scheme. The only problem is, city wall, buildings, and groundwork is all very similar. I'd almost suggest more light/dark bley as ground work? Or more brownish textures for the buildings, at least in part to break it up. I realize in real life there may be similar shades to things and this would be very fitting, but it is hard to show that through LEGO.

I'm starting to agree with this as well... It worked perfect in my imagination and quite OK irl, but when "flattened" in a photo the contrast between the tan ground and buildings is not good enough. I'm presently trying to decide if I should aim for a more gray ground (even though it contradicts my view of Barqa) or go for more non-tan building elements in my future Barqa builds.

Looking forward to check this beauty out! :wub:

I hope your sigfig had a great time in Barqa! :classic:

Will you display this in Uppsala ?

Unfortunately not, my wife is expecting our second kid right about at the same time as the exhibition in Uppsala. I had originally intended to tear this down quite quickly as I always do with my larger Kaliphlin builds, but since I'm not going to have a lot of time to use all these bricks for something else anytime soon I'm leaning towards keeping it in one piece for a while longer. So maybe it will turn up at some other Swebrick exhibition during 2015? :wink:

Lovely build, did you turn to Jerusalem for inspiration on this one? It reminds me of that.

Definitely! One of the reasons that I joined Kaliphlin in the first place was that I visited Israel and Jerusalem a couple of months before joining Kaliphlin. I'm very inspired by the old walled city and especially the alleyways with slightly stepped ground were attempts at recreating my memories of the old city.

Im glad I had a chance to see it live in Skaebaek! , (to bad it ended up in a corner there and not beside the GoH build),

I probably have to blame the power requirement I specified for the lights for ending up over there. Afterwards, I realized I could probably have put this and my other builds next to the GoH display by Ecc, Legopard and Rolli since Rolli's module was killed in action when travelling on Autobahn and left enough room for this. Anyway, I hope that most GoH guys present in Skaerbaek saw it anyway...

Edited by Gideon

This build is just amazing, Gideon! I repeat all that has already been said about this fabulous MOC!

I really like the incorporation of the dirt and rubble inside the wall, viewed from the cut-away edges. This is very well done!

I always love to see what you build, so Brick on!

I drew a conceptual circuit diagram of the connections in the build.

15397721528_e85b3df553_c.jpg

The reason I used my eLite Advanced 2 was due to a shortage of splits and too short cables, I will probably replace that as soon as I order more stuff from LifeLites if I do not dismantle the MOC before that. The "flicker flame" diodes did not like it's ordinary outputs however even at steady light (probably due to PWM modulation messing with the flickering diode's electronics?) so I had to use the non-controlled output for that.

The ModuLites are of the warm-white kind and using two + white interior walls gave quite a lot more light as can be seen on the building to the right.

I gladly recommend LifeLites to anyone who wants to light their MOCs! Just be careful with those fragile connectors...

It's unbelievable to see every little detail, and every little bit of texture. This MOC is so full of life. I hope to build something as good as this one day. Ultra-marvelous-phenomenal work here! :-)

Didn't realize I never commented on this... time flies by. This is a masterpiece! Good to see the Aslanic Order included!

It's unbelievable to see every little detail, and every little bit of texture. This MOC is so full of life. I hope to build something as good as this one day. Ultra-marvelous-phenomenal work here! :-)

Impressive seems too weak to describe this......it is inspiring!

OMG ! Awesome build ! Nice details on the floor and on the towers ! I really really love this MOC.

Congratulation !

This is a masterpiece! Good to see the Aslanic Order included!

Thanks guys!

@Mike S: The Aslanic Order look too good to not be included :wink: And I really like the idea of a military religous order similar to the Crusader orders, so they will probably make more cameos in my builds.

I was amazed by this build when you first posted it, but never commented. This is my favorite type of build - tons of things packed in a small space. I love all the activity, the great combination of styles, and the lighting. Superb build!