8413524671_e80ca630bf.jpg

Inverted LEGO Roller Coaster 1 by luc.2000, on Flickr

It's here: my newest LEGO Roller Coaster!

Some facts:

- 5 cart inverted roller coaster train

- 10 minifigures per train

- 4 person staff

- Half corkscrew followed by a half loop (is this called a Diving loop? Reply in the comments!)

- Total heigth: - Track: 79 studs - Overall: 95 studs

- Track length of the track (measured from the middle of the track): 655,5 studs

- Built on 4x2 baseplates (128x64 studs)

- Powered by 1 Mindstorms NXT unit

- 3 NXT servo motors

- 3 NXT sensors: 2 touch and 1 color

More pictures are available at flickr.

Hope you like it!

Want LEGO to make some sort of roller coaster set?

Support here: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/2201

I know there's a different roller coaster on the picture, but it's about SOME SORT of Lego roller coaster. If this reaches 10000 votes, LEGO will consider making a design themselves, and then produce it so you can buy it in your local store!

Awesome ride!!

And a very nice presentation.

I will checkout your pictures and vote on Cuusoo.

MOC: awesome

Video: awesome

Presintation and animation: awesome

Bass player: not so much :laugh:

Hi Luc!

What an awesome MOC! :wub_drool:

But as well as I like it, I don't think it has a single chance to be made as a real product.

Don't get me wrong: It is a brilliant MOC and for that I love it, but Lego has to think about joy of building, safety of building and running the model and last but not least the cost of a model like this.

So what I want to say is: Don't expect too much from Cuusoo. :wink:

Nice creation and video direction! The operation technique are cool and the funny white-face minifigure in the motion sickness...

Yes! Support XS Motor!

Edited by Gene

Thanks for all the nice comments! :sweet:

As I said in the description, I used mindstorms in this MOC. At the picture below, you can see the NXT-brick, and the geartrain for the gates.

8414621874_220f05bf78.jpg

Inverted LEGO Roller Coaster 7 by luc.2000, on Flickr

And on ther following picture you can see the 3 motors, and 2 of the sensors:

8414632800_c53607f93d.jpg

Inverted LEGO Roller Coaster 8 by luc.2000, on Flickr

The chain lift has to be in the right position to pick the train up. I used a touch sensor and some liftarms, so the chain activates the touch sensor every time a wider chain part comes through. This way, the servo motor "knows" how much to turn, and the chain will always be in the right position when the train is coming.

8413523717_22c9e89e3f.jpg

Inverted LEGO Roller Coaster 9 by luc.2000, on Flickr

That's amazing, how long did it take you to make?

Well, I think about 3-4 months, building about 7-15 hours a week - lot's of trial and error :sweet:

Hi Luc!

What an awesome MOC! :wub_drool:

But as well as I like it, I don't think it has a single chance to be made as a real product.

Don't get me wrong: It is a brilliant MOC and for that I love it, but Lego has to think about joy of building, safety of building and running the model and last but not least the cost of a model like this.

So what I want to say is: Don't expect too much from Cuusoo. :wink:

I don't expect LEGO to make this coaster - not even my other coaster. I'm planning on making some sort of tutorial on building a small roller coaster, as an example set for LEGO. Target price will be around €40, so not expensive at all. Just a small coaster, lifthill, 270 degree left turn, small straight under the lifthill, 90 degree right turn, small straight, maybe followed by a small hill up, and a 180 degree right turn. I didn't try to build it yet, but it shouldn't be too hard. :classic:

So about Cuusoo - just vote anyway, LEGO will design a completely different set, if it reaches 10000 supporters at all :thumbup:

Edited by Luc2000

@ Luc2000: If you display your MOC at a Lego exhibition, crowds of kids would be standing around it all day long! It could win the "Best of Show" category! :sweet: Hopefully you won't take this masterpiece apart anytime soon (if ever).

8414631514_31eb57aa88_c.jpg

Sorry, I already did ;)

But I'm glad you like it :)

There will be better roller coaster coming in the future - hopefully also from other builders.

This is a nice one, I have seen a few on line but this one works really well, I also like the addition of NXT as it makes it more real, in the way the chain picks up and the station area.

Very cool MOC indeed...wish I had picked the 4957 Ferris Wheel when it was available and at MSRP...it would go perfectly with this MOC for a carnival scene...

That's an incredible piece of engineering!

I'm just concentrating on collecting Technic at the moment, since I 'got back into' Lego, but the big kid in me is eyeing up the Mindstorms EV3, stamping his feet and saying 'I want one!'

Up until now though, the adult in me has been thinking, 'Yes, it's undoubtedly cool, but after you've built some robots, what can you actually do with it?'

Luc2000 has given a perfect example of the sort of thing you can use it for when combining it with other Lego. It's not a 'Mindstorms' project. It's a project that utilises Mindstorms.

Well that's me one step closer to buying one when it's released!

Congrats again - marvellous build.

Thanks!

Luc2000 has given a perfect example of the sort of thing you can use it for when combining it with other Lego. It's not a 'Mindstorms' project. It's a project that utilises Mindstorms.

I had the same feeling when I saw NXT 2.0. I really like it, but what if I'm tired of building robots? I came to the conclusion that you can build tons of other stuff, that isn't a robot. One of my first Mindstorms MOC's was this game. It isn't a robot, but it still uses mindstorms