• 1986: 8680 Arctic Rescue Base
    • 1986: 8849 Tractor
    • 1987: 8852 Robot (transformer)
    • 1988: 8853 Front end Loader
    • 1988: 8855 Prop Plane
    • 1988: 8865 Test Car
    • 1989: 8854 Power Crane
    • 1989: 8862 Backhoe Loader

Oh so many sets out here!! I voted for many of them 'cause used to see them on catalogues when was a child and now, after 26 years, I have almost all so I voted for:

851,856,8848,8859 that I haven't yet :( and 8851,8660,8680,8849,8853,8855 (my 1st technic set when was 7),8854 and 8862.

Well, I really like the 80's sets, simple not so many functions(some could be better) but although they remember my childhood(even if only about dreaming to have them at that time) are still my favourites :)

ciao

Well 8862 is a big winner, no surprise. It boasts the largest amount of functions of any technic set up to that point, rivaling even today's sets. With 8865 very close behind.

I voted 8862 and 8865 because they are the biggest sets, and the ones that IMO functions the best. Can't say I've tried the 856, but those chainlink tracks can not possible work on a smooth surface.

I voted 8862 and 8865 because they are the biggest sets, and the ones that IMO functions the best. Can't say I've tried the 856, but those chainlink tracks can not possible work on a smooth surface.

Actually, they roll along just fine on any smooth table!

Those gears are not linked to anything (so, no internal friction).

I've also motorized it and it worked surprisingly well.

Edited by SheepEater

Actually, they roll along just fine on any smooth table!

Those gears are not linked to anything (so, no internal friction).

I've also motorized it and it worked surprisingly well.

I did not know that. Well, I'll have to wait until I get it.

I limited my options to those sets I actual have. 855 crane was built/rebuilt/played with by far the most as a child.

I limited my options to those sets I actual have. 855 crane was built/rebuilt/played with by far the most as a child.

Did you manage to build the extension, suggested by some technic instructions around that time? It uses the 855 as well as what appears to be the yellow 850 forklift. (This is from the 8857 motorcycle instructions)

http://www.peeron.com/scans/8857-2/1

http://belay.peeron.com/scans/8857-2/30/

http://belay.peeron.com/scans/8857-2/31/

Edited by SheepEater

Did you manage to build the extension, suggested by some technic instructions around that time? It uses the 855 as well as what appears to be the yellow 850 forklift. (This is from the 8857 motorcycle instructions)

http://www.peeron.com/scans/8857-2/1

http://belay.peeron.com/scans/8857-2/30/

http://belay.peeron.com/scans/8857-2/31/

I recognise the image but I don't think I did. And I do have set 850. (It was 30 years ago so it's possible that I've forgotten. Oh My God, I'm so old :cry_sad: )

Sometime around my birth, my father bought 8853 and I played a lot with that set in my childhood. During the first years, my father had to build it since I was too young for TECHNIC. However, I think this set was not important enough to vote for.

I've voted for 8855, 8865 and 8862. I have to admit I only own 8865 of these three sets, so especially the 8855 set is tricky. This is the biggest plane released as far as I know, and the first fixed-wing plane released. The addition of a figure is nice. I might have voted for it because I always wanted it (and still do) since I saw it in the catalogue included in the 8853 set. The 8865 set was a milestone in the development of the TECHNIC supercar. It was the first with four-wheel independent suspension, the first with pop-up lights and the first with a sort of body (although it looks more like a rollcage). Both 8855 and 8865 were the last sets with the classic square pistons and brick-built engine blocks.

8862 was the first backhoe and one of the first sets with the new pneumatic system. From the day I own 6662 I was interested in this set. I don't own a TECHNIC backhoe but this one is the only one I would bother to have.

My vote:

8854 Power Crane. This was my first Technic set and a gift for my 7th birthday. It's a really great set, with some unique parts and pneumatics.

852 Helicopter. To my knowledge, this is the only set to include realistic collective control, with the exception of the new helicopter.

8855 Airplane. In my opinion, the most realistic airplane ever made by LEGO. Working ailerons, elevator, fake engine with moving pistons. Only thing it missed was the lack of a working rudder.

856 Bulldozer still has one of my most favourite oldstyle Lego mechanisms... it's perfectly arranged, so that it scoops the bucket, and then hold it level, as it raises it... you can't really understand it until you build, and operate it!

Shame about no Universal sets!

I didn't get too many 'full' sets when I was a kid, but I did get 8020, 8030, 8050 (motor!) and 8090 all within a year or two of each other, for birthdays/christmases.. and it gave my technic collection a huge boost, and gave my classic town/space building MUCH more interactivity!

Image45-6.jpg

the memories of getting a big box like this on christmas day, then squirrelling myself in a corner all morning building, and ignoring all other toys!! ;)

RB

Edited by RohanBeckett

I HAD to vote for 8860; it was my first big Technical set. I remember getting it for my birthday; I went into the huge Co-Op in Luton (which isn't even there any more) and my parent bought it for me. We then went off to visit relatives, and I wasn't allowed to open it until we got home that evening. An absolutely torturous wait for a kid who'd just been given such an amazing set, but SO worth it!

My votes:

1st place: 8865, imho better than 8860 and 8880

2nd place: 8851, pneumatics gone crazy ;-)

3rd place: 8846, good design + multiple features

I am surprised we haven't seen a studless version of the 8848 Power Truck. For the day, it was an amazing model with HOG steering and levers that worked the bed and scoop.

My vote:

8854, this was my first Lego pneumatic set at the age of 10. :classic:

8862, more pneumatics.

8855, best Lego Technic plane to date.

Edited by TimH

8853 was my first Technic set! So it always holds a bit of a special place. I also believe it is the only set from the list I actually own. I liked the alternative model as a kid. I have borrowed my cousin's instructions for 8865 once and that's a great model as well, even if at the time I had already built 8880.

I would vote for 853 but not because if its main model; on the box there

was a picture of a very nice jeep but there were no instructions for it.

That meant many hours of puzzling/building/changing/etc. but after that, I

wondered that if 1 drawing was enough to build a model, then 0 drawings should

also be enough.

I wondered that if 1 drawing was enough to build a model, then 0 drawings should also be enough.

That's one of the best quotes I have read in a while. :thumbup:

8860 and 8865 were probably my favorites growing up. 8862 is pretty awesome too. I really liked all of them though. My favorite that I actually owned is 8660.

8860 and 8865 were probably my favorites growing up. 8862 is pretty awesome too. I really liked all of them though. My favorite that I actually owned is 8660.

8660 was my first ever technic set, followed by 8640 (my parents were poor growing up) so they hold a special emotional value.

1: 8862 - as I got this set in 1992 and after 22 years I have it till today

2: 8865 - I got this one recently (last year) in mint condition with box for around 60Euros - it was my all time dream in Technic Sets.

regards

8860 - remember it from my childhood and the first classic set I purchased in mint condition in 2006 after dark ages, still my second favourite "supercar" behind legendary 8880

8862 - I always wanted it next to my 8868 but only got it several yars later, paradise of functions and new pneumatic system, a true classic

8854 - IMO was the best mobile crane until 8421 has come

Edited by Interceptor