Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

Product designers for LEGO Group - Making ideas into toys

Read this document, and good luck :sweet:!

Here´s the text also without .pdf:

Product designers for LEGO Group - Making ideas into toys

Are you passionate about toys? Do you want to shape the play experiences of

children all over the world? And do you want to use most of your time developing

LEGO products? Then this is your chance to become a toy designer in the Product and

Marketing Development department of the LEGO Group. We create the toys of the

future through brands like LEGO Star Wars, LEGO City, Creator, LEGO Technic and

Duplo – in a creative, international and teamwork oriented environment. We are

currently looking for a number of designers with very different design profiles for

developing products for both DUPLO (preschoolers), System and Technic platforms -

so we encourage you to apply for a position!

Concept and product designers for LEGO Group

As a concept and product designer, you will be part of a team of designers that

develop toy concepts for kids aged 2-99. We are looking for concept and product

designers with a design education or background that can add new creative ideas and

concept approaches to our different LEGO product lines. You will work with the

whole design process ranging from ideation and sketching of new play concepts to

creating product graphics and building models from existing elements.

Strong design and visualization skills

In addition to a formal education as a designer, it is important that you are

passionate about our target groups and about creating toys. It is also important that

you have personal drive, good process skills and that you can think “out of the box”.

You need to have the desire to express and realize ideas through LEGO bricks and

the ability to communicate them verbally and visually. It is an advantage if you have

good freehand sketching skills as well as experience with Adobe based programs.

Regardless of what type of designer you are, you should be a team player with a

positive attitude and enjoy taking the initiative. You should thrive in an open-

minded, innovative and international environment as well as be fluent in spoken and

written English.

Build your dream job

Start building your dream job in a fun and creative environment by sending your

application no later than 30. June - marked “LEGO Designer” - in English or Danish to

LEGO System A/S, Systemvej 6, DK-7190 Billund, Denmark, att. Kirsten Danielsen.

Your application, including CV, portfolio or pictures of your model work, drawings

and sketches in A4 hard copy format (no CD-Roms or original art work), should be

submitted by ordinary mail. Please note that applications without portfolio or

pictures of your creative work will not be considered.

Holy Crap! Man, I'm not just saying this but this is the one LEGO job offer I would love to take, I could use my LDD Skills and everything!

Shame I'm only 15 and live in England... :cry_sad: Good Luck to anyone who manages to get it! :thumbup:

for kids aged 2-99.

Sorry, but that is toooo funny! :grin:

WOW, I would love to do this, SERIOUSLY!

I'de be happy to design in any theme but my love is Technic. I'm sure I have what it takes to design awesome sets and new elements that would greatly enhance the Technic range of parts but I don't have any formal training in graphic design :cry_sad:. I am quite handy with LDRAW, LDD and truespace (a 3d modeling program) and there are a ton of tutorials on the net for using these and many other programs like photoshop and gimp. Do you think this would be enough?

Humbug. I have no formal design qualifications and a lack of portfolio. I think I shall have to work on one, just on the outside chance another opportunity like this comes up...

Thanks for the info CM :thumbup:

Hmm...... Better get prepared for another opening like this in the next few years.

Damn, that means I need a job now :hmpf::tongue:

Any idea what they mean by "a formal education as a designer"? If it wasn't for that I'd actually consider applying...

Holy Crap! Man, I'm not just saying this but this is the one LEGO job offer I would love to take, I could use my LDD Skills and everything!

Shame I'm only 15 and live in England... :cry_sad: Good Luck to anyone who manages to get it! :thumbup:

This would be a job for me, I have the background, just not the age. :cry_sad:

Let's not discuss age please.

Any idea what they mean by "a formal education as a designer"? If it wasn't for that I'd actually consider applying...

A degree/diploma in design or technology I'm assuming.

A degree/diploma in design or technology I'm assuming.

...and I've got neither. I wonder if they'd accept programming and Radar maintenance as an equivalent ? :grin:

Tempting to apply, but I'm afraid that doing this as work might take the fun out of the hobby. Now I can build if I feel like it, otherwise you'have to.

Tempting to apply, but I'm afraid that doing this as work might take the fun out of the hobby. Now I can build if I feel like it, otherwise you'have to.
C´mon, do it! At least apply, then you can see what it´s about!

I kind of agree with you there. Building Lego is great fun, but I wouldn't like being tied to deadlines and price restrictions with my models, the way the TLG designers would be.

Working in Billund is nice.

You are asked to perform and meet deadlines. But it is also important that you function as a complete human being. And that you are able to have fun.

The last couple of weeks I've taken a quick tour after lunch through Billund on my in-liners, to let my brain breath.

To make good things you need to rest. Or work out. Or...

Working in Billund is nice.

You are asked to perform and meet deadlines. But it is also important that you function as a complete human being. And that you are able to have fun.

The last couple of weeks I've taken a quick tour after lunch through Billund on my in-liners, to let my brain breath.

To make good things you need to rest. Or work out. Or...

I see the need for a brain breather! As an AFOL at a workshop a few years ago I did about 3 weeks' work in a week and was worn out when I got home!

It was *such* fun though. For my brain it was like having a Bugatti Veyron and an open road for miles, ready to floor the accelerator! It seemed like the workshop was also a chance for some of the staff designers to get out of the office.

I can't believe TLG would be ageist enough to assume that childhood finishes at 99 years old! :wink: I hope to be building to 120 if I live that long! And I hope there's LEGO in Heaven too (the real Heaven, not the LEGO store room :classic:)!

Is TLG the company with the greatest number of patents per year in Denmark?

Mark

Maybe I'll consider applying for this job.. This year I finish my Marketing studies, so this might be a great opportunity to make my hobby into my job.. :tongue::thumbup:

I'm tempted, as I do have the qualifications and C.V, but It all depends if my model building skills are good enough. Plus, I know everyone always says they won't to work for Lego, but it probably means moving to Denmark which could be an upheavel as my partner has a child in school here. Plus I kinda like the surprise of seeing what new lines and sets are released each year, and that fun would be taken away. And from what I hear, you don't get much time to do your own mocs which are far more fun then any official Lego set. Need to think about it.

Plus I kinda like the surprise of seeing what new lines and sets are released each year, and that fun would be taken away.

I see what you mean, although I must admit, I feel the opposite way. I used to get sooooo exited when I was about to finally see the new technic sets for the year. However, apart from some rare exceptions , I haven't been so impressed in the most part of the last decade. So i'm not so excited any more. I just wanna work for them and say "look, this is where the technic line needs to go, and heres how i'de like to do it!", although they probably have there own plans for the next ten years already.

My general style of MOC building is to build as if it were to be released as an actual set ie limiting the number of parts and expensive bits like motors and such and many other design aspects as I like the challenge. It would still feel like i'm building MOCs, the only difference is that they are actually going to be released, which would make it even more fun for me!

But like I said I don't have the formal training in design (only 20 years of building technic MOCs :wink: ) and moving to Denmark is a big upheaval :cry_sad:

At least I still got sites like TechnicBRICKS where my ideas are listened to by the technic design team!

Al.

C´mon, do it! At least apply, then you can see what it´s about!

Thanks for the encouragement, but I won't. "Making work out of your hobby" sounds very nice, but I already did that once. I'm a musician, make a living from making music and selling music-instruments in a store. I've turned my music-hobby into my day-job. I love my work, but when I get home I mostly want to something else, not music-related (like making MOC's !!!). So I want to keep Lego as a hobby. Besides, I don't have a desinger-education, so I don't have the right papers anyway. And I don't live in Denmark, but I'm not shure if that is a problem.

Anyone has any idea of how many pages should portfolio consist? I mean, does the jury want to be flooded with papers by "the more-the merrier" concept, or it should be presented as a short but yet effective presentation? Any opinions on this?

Cheers!

Anyone has any idea of how many pages should portfolio consist? I mean, does the jury want to be flooded with papers by "the more-the merrier" concept, or it should be presented as a short but yet effective presentation? Any opinions on this?

Cheers!

I would imagine short and sweet is the answer. They are probably going to be flooded with applications from all over and so they are not gonna be able to be bothered with reading a 20 page epic! You wanna be sure they know absolutely everything you want them to know about you quickly to avoid any chance of them getting bored reading it before they have to move on to the next application.

Jazz it up with lots of nice background graphics to show off your handy work on the computer (some original concept art for a supercar would be a good way to demonstrate your understanding of how a few simple lines can combine to make a shape that envokes feelings of beauty and poweeeeeerrrrrrrrr!, or something completely wierd but fun looking like a flying, monkey navigated battle caravan to show off your imagination) and keep your writing concise and to the point and remember to include some separate pictures of your best MOCs.

Good luck :classic:

Edited by allanp

Is TLG the company with the greatest number of patents per year in Denmark?

Mark

I have no bulletproof knowledge, but I don't think TLG ever was the company in Denmark with most patents a year. The company is simply too small, and besides we must remember that TLG make toys, exclusively.

A company like Danfoss, the largest industrial company in Denmark has always done a lot of patents (I've worked there too), and I'm pretty sure they often have been no. 1 and are regular in the top 3. Although Danfoss has been hit by the economic situation (which TLG has not), they are still quite larger than TLG counting employees.

Novo Nordisk, a pharmaceutic company may also be very active with patents.

Edited by Front

Just read that the application time for the Product Designer job was extended another Mont until end of July. I guess until now, TLG must have gotten only a zillion applications for this dream job. And now they extend the time so they can get another zillion :laugh:

Reminds me of a classic story:

A company had a job advert in the paper and got a huge amount of applications for a job - too many to handle. So the HR-manager simply took half of the applications and put them straight in the wastebasket. "The ones who ended up there had bad luck, and we don't need people with bad luck in our company" :tongue:

Superkalle dont scare me :cry_sad: I got a reply :tongue: Basically it says I might be selected for further evaluation.

The response I got (for PM position) is that the closing date IS end of June... and they will be on holiday for July. Perhaps an automated response; although it is nice to be acknowledged though. Time to enjoy the summer...

Edited by roamingstudio