Sign in to follow this  
Aloysius

My Parole Officer Said It Would Be Good to Meet New People..

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Aloysius and my Dark Age ended roughly a month ago. Since then I've gone into full blown addiction. Now it'd be one thing If I had an interest in just one line, say Castles (which is in fact my #1 love), but shortly after getting back into it its branched out to Pirate, Western, and Star Wars. In short, I'm bleeding money as of late. Seems like I'd be best off cutting off my internet access as I've been spending WAY too much time either researching, buying, or thinking about what I want next. I'm a Leo and an only child..thus it's obvious the deck has been stacked against me from the beginning.

My first memories of LEGO were of seeing Castle Sets on the shelves when I was around 8-10. I never bought any of them (a $2 a week allowance pretty much killed that possibility) and my parents never got them for me so it came down to me playing with friends' sets or just making a beeline for the toy section to drool over what I wouldn't be getting. Years later, with a family and a little disposable income, I finally have the chance to indulge. So far my collection consists of 3 castle sets, an ISD, some Indy, and been working on building up an various armies using eBay. Right now Im looking for a 6085 on the cheap and whatever good deals I can find.

So far I really like this site because everyone seems so passionate about LEGOS, and to be completely honest, its makes me slightly more normal to where I can say, "at least Im not THAT bad yet". Also, this site seems much more active than most of the other sites I've joined or lurked on and I dont think Ill be able to burn through all the threads anytime soon.

Lastly, being the glutton for punishment and insolvency that I am..I plan on building a collection drawn from each of the lines listed above, ultimately 2 of each. 1 for building and play, and 1 to keep MISB. The MISB set will be bagged and stored above the ceiling panels in my house, where its nice and dark. Yes, Im serious Im embarrassed to say :'-(

welcome Aloysius! i cant wait for your input into different issues and i hope you enjoy it here! i just have one question ;-) , do you like to make My Own Creations (MOCs), or do you just like to amass armies? if you do like to MOC, i eagerly await some of your creations!

welcome Aloysius! i cant wait for your input into different issues and i hope you enjoy it here! i just have one question ;-) , do you like to make My Own Creations (MOCs), or do you just like to amass armies? if you do like to MOC, i eagerly await some of your creations!

Hi Ricecracker!!,

Actually, I would like to MOC but thats something for the future...after I get certain sets purchased, stored away, opened, built, and displayed and also have the space and storage solution figured out. One thing I've always lamented is that I never had artistic talent. I couldnt sing, paint, play an instrument, or create art. One of the things I love about the idea of MOCs is that as long as you have the pieces you can build anything you can imagine. There arent any imperfect brushstrokes to worry about. However, thats something I want to save for the day when I run out of things to buy or I go broke, whichever come first. With my ADD and touch of OCD I've got a whole lot of LEGO fun to look forward to in the years ahead. I'm in the process of buying a new home (hopefully close on it in the next two weeks) and I told my girlfriend, "I don't care what we do to the house, what upgrades you want to get or in what order, or how we decorate it. All I want understood is that the workshop (a spacious windowed area to the rear of the garage) is mine and mine alone. That means its not storage, none of your knick knacks, and I get to do whatever I want with it." She agreed and Im a happy man. Shelving is already up and theres an abundance of space for LEGO displays and an ample-sized desktop area for building and fitting in storage cabinets will be easy as well. After I fill that up with built sets and slowly growing armies I'll finally start MOCs. Once I do start MOCS: Castle will be my main focus..or as close to focus as I can get. :-$

Welcome to our friendly little community EB Aloysius ;-)

Where are you from actually and how old are you ?

In short, I'm bleeding money as of late.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of AFOLs X-D First you scream for more money, then it will be the space issue :-P

I'm a Leo and an only child..thus it's obvious the deck has been stacked against me from the beginning.

I thought the fact of beeing an only child would help :-P I'm one and it never was a disagreement in my book ;-)

Or maybe its the Leo part X-D

Lastly, being the glutton for punishment and insolvency that I am..I plan on building a collection drawn from each of the lines listed above, ultimately 2 of each. 1 for building and play, and 1 to keep MISB. The MISB set will be bagged and stored above the ceiling panels in my house, where its nice and dark. Yes, Im serious Im embarrassed to say :'-(

I'm always happy to welcome such a nerd collector ;-)

I always wnted to start myself a "vault" but space and money issues are definitly getting on the way !!

As a collector, I would love to see pics of that 8-

Hello and welcome to EB! Good to see another AFOL return from his dark ages *sweet*

..guess there's not much left to ask after such a thorough introduction, hope you'll enjoy your stay here, it's a great community with lots of whacky (internal joke 1 ;-)) stuff going on all the time :-)

Welcome to EB, your parole officer was right X-D but, you'll be meetin Lego-Addicted nuts, not that that is bad :-P

Stauder

Hello and Welcome to EB, Aloysius *y*

See you around ;-)

LuxorV

Aloha and welcome to the good ole tempting side of the brick. *y*

300px-1800-21a.jpg

Hey! *y* Pirates on! Castle on! SW...well, not quite so on... X-D

Which castle sets do you have?

For Pirates, I would buy the Black Seas Barracuda first, the legendary ship of Captain Roger! It's the cheapest of all the ships in a price-to-pieces ratio and arguably the best looking... ;-)

Once I do start MOCS: Castle will be my main focus..or as close to focus as I can get. :-$

I'll set you a challenge. Enter the CCIV (Classic Castle Contest 6) this year; you'll need a fair amount of parts, but you'll gain a load of experience, like I did! Here's the link to last year's; this year's should start around October and it ends in the beginning of January, so you have plenty of time to build it and amass some key parts!

May I suggest Bricklink for individual parts?

*sweet*

Welcome to our friendly little community EB Aloysius ;-)

Where are you from actually and how old are you ?

Welcome to the wonderfull world of AFOLs X-D First you scream for more money, then it will be the space issue :-P

I thought the fact of beeing an only child would help :-P I'm one and it never was a disagreement in my book ;-)

Or maybe its the Leo part X-D

I'm always happy to welcome such a nerd collector ;-)

I always wnted to start myself a "vault" but space and money issues are definitly getting on the way !!

As a collector, I would love to see pics of that 8-

Hey! *y* Pirates on! Castle on! SW...well, not quite so on... X-D

Which castle sets do you have?

For Pirates, I would buy the Black Seas Barracuda first, the legendary ship of Captain Roger! It's the cheapest of all the ships in a price-to-pieces ratio and arguably the best looking... ;-)

I'll set you a challenge. Enter the CCIV (Classic Castle Contest 6) this year; you'll need a fair amount of parts, but you'll gain a load of experience, like I did! Here's the link to last year's; this year's should start around October and it ends in the beginning of January, so you have plenty of time to build it and amass some key parts!

May I suggest Bricklink for individual parts?

*sweet*

Well, let me be specific and say that I collect only OT Star Wars stuff. My personal opinion is that the prequel movies were an abomination and I sure as hell dont want any of it on my shelf. I only want the things that sucked me in when I was a little kid, like the ISD and X-Wing. Even though I know its valuable, I have no interest in a Republic gunship.

I hear you on the BSB. Im fervently looking to buy one now but it has to be used, complete, and come with a box in decent shape. At the current time my funds are a little low to look for an MISB and right now I at least want one that I can jump into right away. Also want a RBR and an outpost or two.

The castle sets I have so far are Black Falcon Fortress, Black Monarch's Castle, and Kings Castle Seige. The only one thats unopened is Kings Castle Siege. Im thinking that if I get the majority of the stuff that I want really really bad now, once I have the money I can buy the MISB stuff and not have the temptation to crack it open.

I checked out the link for the contest. Some of the entries were unbelievable. I usually right click & save whatever MOC pictures I come across that could be used for future inspiration to a desktop folder. If Dubya would hurry up and get me my $900 tax rebate check I could start buying some pieces now.

I've been trying to think of ideas for a vault, or at least a decent sized closet to use for storage. If I end up using the ceiling I doubt any burglar or crackhead would think to look there.

X-D

When I talk about the "vault" its because TLC's HQs in Billund have 2 vaults in which they have a copy of neary every set ever produced ;-)

I visited one and its truly impressive 8-

Hello and welcome to our forum of bricks. Dont eat the lead based paint chips and we wont have a problem. :-P