Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

The Pearl is the flagship of this franchise though. It's akin to the Millennium Falcon in terms of importance. I expect that the Pearl will be quite a bit larger than the QAR, even if it is inconsistent with the films. My guess would be that she will be a lot more developed through her midsection. The fact that she's also slated for November unlike most of the POTC stuff also suggests she's supposed to be something special.

The Pearl is the flagship of this franchise though. It's akin to the Millennium Falcon in terms of importance. I expect that the Pearl will be quite a bit larger than the QAR, even if it is inconsistent with the films. My guess would be that she will be a lot more developed through her midsection. The fact that she's also slated for November unlike most of the POTC stuff also suggests she's supposed to be something special.

Maybe, but im pretty sure someone mentioned that it has a smaller piece count then the QAR.

It will probably be the same size as the QAR, with a slightly smaller rear end.

But they have to, because early 2012 I want TLG to make a (much bigger) Flying Dutchman with Davy Jones and his crew

:pir-tongue:

Edited by narbilu

Whenever Lego has had 2 ships out, one of them has always been smaller and less expensive. I cant see them releasing 2 expensive ships in the same year, so I fear The Black Pearl wont be half as nice as the QAR. I could be wrong, but I expect it will be smaller and cheaper like Brickbeards bounty. Its a shame as the BP is one of the most iconic ships from the francise and deserves a large detailed model. However, if the line is successful, whos to say that they dont release a larger update in a later wave. Harry Potter virtually got a new version of hogwarts with every wave!

I think you've got this backwards.

Isn't the Pearl supposed to be the larger one? Plus, it's getting released seemingly on its own later in the year, similar to what happened with the Imperial Flagship.

I think for the QAR they should by now have made different boat hull pieces for the stern so it is not as same as the bow, so you could have gunports aiming from the back. But maybe you could use a regular middle section and mod it.

Edited by Steven

I have a gut feeling that the Black Pearl is going to be the larger of the two. We did have some listings of the parts for the two ships but, those were listed with the earliest preliminary pictures that we had in some dealer catalog scans and some of the sets, like the Queen Anne's Revenge have changed some in terms of design since then.

Also, the Black Pearl is without doubt an icon and the flagship of the entire POTC series except for perhapes the 4th film so I highly doubt that Lego is going to skimp on details and size for this ship.

Lets keep in mind too that they are rumoured to be depicting the Black Pearl as the undead version so, technically the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge wouldn't be side by side anyway. :pir-classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

In the dealer catalog, the Pearl and QAR have the same box dimensions, so it's pretty safe to say they'll be about the same size, if LEGO is consistent in the amount of empty space in the boxes. I'm really hoping we don't get the undead version; shredded black sails are a lot less useful than plain black sails. I'll bet that if we get Pintel and Ragetti, they'll be in this set.

I have a feeling that the Pearl will show up in the fourth film, though maybe not in the way we expect. I mean, why would Jack Sparrow sneak onto Blackbeard's ship to steal a ship in a bottle unless it was HIS ship in that bottle?

Edited by punkkid364

These look amazing... that ship is absolutely stunning. I've always wanted to get a pirate ship but I never have... I might have to make an exception for that beauty.

My thoughts exactly! Some say it looks cartoonish, but I'm liking it MUCH better than Brickbeard's Bounty from the 2009 Pirates release. I don't have any of the old ships, so I'm thinking this might be my ticket to finally owning a Pirate ship. Probably the one set I'm really interested in at the moment. I wonder how much it will cost? And I also wonder how it will compare to The Black Pearl... I haven't seen any leaks of that ship (if there are any), so I have no idea which is going to be the grander ship, or which will be more pricey. I guess time will tell which ship I should buy. But it definitely looks like a lego pirate ship to me!

I'm happy to see a lot of common piratey elements reused, so that should help bridge the gap between Pirate and POTC themes.

Edited by domboy

I don't know the extent of how much everyone here likes POTC, but I am praying for a Black Pearl that is minifig scale and cost as much as the millennium falcon. 500$ and I would be proud. Always helps that I get a 30% off Legos, since I work in a store though haha!

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness"

The prices for QAR and Black Pearl were mentioned many posts earlier. The retailers' catalogue in Singapore revealed that the prices for QAR is going to be S$249.90 and Black Pearl S$189.90. So Derfel is right, Black Pearl is going to be about 1/3 smaller than QAR. TLG won't be releasing an IF every other year you know.

I don't know the extent of how much everyone here likes POTC, but I am praying for a Black Pearl that is minifig scale and cost as much as the millennium falcon. 500$ and I would be proud. Always helps that I get a 30% off Legos, since I work in a store though haha!

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness"

Yeah that would be great, but just not gonna happen. Besides, if you buy enough pieces you can easily make a huge detailed Black Pearl that would be better than any ship Lego releases. Just look at the ships that members build on here. Your own creations will always be the best as you can put as much money and time into them as you wish, where as the Lego company has limits, it can't really put out a 400 pound plus set.

Ooooh ! :pir-sweet:

These pictures look fantastic ! Besides, as a HP fan, some of these head,s hair pieces and bricks will fit in perfectly witrh my collection. I loved Prince of Persia, and these fleshies will only make it more fun :thumbup:

Looks like I'll get my hands on at least one of these small cool sets !

Yeah that would be great, but just not gonna happen. Besides, if you buy enough pieces you can easily make a huge detailed Black Pearl that would be better than any ship Lego releases. Just look at the ships that members build on here. Your own creations will always be the best as you can put as much money and time into them as you wish, where as the Lego company has limits, it can't really put out a 400 pound plus set.

Yes, I'm working on a huge Caribbean fort scene for my local Lego group that will be on display in our store on the 15th!

Oh no, there goes an easy Grand. Good thing I put money aside for this. From a mocing view of things, 3 london escapes, 3 whitecap's, the captains cabin and a couple of Qar's. That should do me, as the mill looks pretty bland and any other cool parts can be bricklinked. Pretty cool line though, so I hope it gets a good few years like the Indy line.

I knew you would come around! Though I was hoping for some dark orange parts in their as well... we do get new hats, bottles, buckets, windows, black rowboats, mermaids, torsos, and those awesome sword holders in several colors. Definatley going to need multiples of... multiples!

I must say that the Lego company has been more than generous with minifigs in this new lineup.

I hope they keep it up!

Edited by Ratshot

All this discussion about the difference between Lego's versions of the Black Pearl and the Queen Anne's Revenge. First you should compare the movie version of the Black Pearl to the released screenshots of the Queen Anne's Revenge. The Black Pearl is more like a true pirate ship, meaning it has little in the way of ornamental detailing despite its iconic nature. The Queeen Anne's Revenge on the other hand has a large cabin section and lots of little details. Considering what has been leaked about Lego's Black Pearl set, it can be inferred that there should be little difference in the overall length and width of the ships and that the piece count difference will likely be due to the size of the back cabin and the amount of ornamenting.

There is one possibility about the Black Pearl that most have been circling is that Lego could include alternative sets of sails and crewmembers so that a builder could choose their version of the ship. Lego did something similar with the Castle of Morcia in the Knights Kingdom theme, so it is not unprecedented.

Much as I love pirates and I do, I'm no longer in a financial position to buy these sets. I will however buy some of the accessories and parts. Gold bar, microfig pirate, globe, bottle, coins, hair, hats, arched window shutter, bucket, black rowing boat. All very lovely in their own right.

I get the feeling the cutlasses are going to be "pearl light gray" like the kingdoms swords. Anyone else agree?

I get the feeling the cutlasses are going to be "pearl light gray" like the kingdoms swords. Anyone else agree?

Well, now that I think about it, I sure hope so! :pir-classic:

I really am thinking more and more that the Black Pearl is going to be an exclusive item. Thost box deminsions that we got are from the fist batch of preliminary pictures and I cannot count those as reliable. I really think that Lego would make the Black Pearl it's grandest POTC set since it is such an icon of the series.

Edited by Jack Bricker

Does the Captains Cabin include the 1 x 1 printed compass tile? (at least I think its a compass)

Im getting the black pearl (even if it has ripped sails :pir-sad: )

And about the piece count, The black pearl may have bigger parts and les detail so it could still be bigger. :pir-sceptic:

Edited by lt.Gonville brickhead