Fugazi

How open are you about your Lego passion?

As for sigificant others, My last.... friend (yeah, we're not together anymore :hmpf_bad: ) thought it was sweet :wink:

Legoman you stud! :grin::tongue:

Edited by Roncanator

Everybody knows "I love LEGO" as can be seen by my avatar on the left which is my cars personlised number plate. In the past I have even had a double baseplate glued LEGO shop display on the dashboard of my work van :laugh:

I'm open about it the sense that I won't like about it when it comes up. My family knows about it, and most of my relatives do, as does anyone that ever comes oever to my house, because I have sets and MOCs scattered and displayed throughout my room.

-'Skintas

My parents are fine, although my mum doesn't want me to send £350 on the UCS Falcon. (no idea why.)

Most of my friends either don't care and just accept it as another 'geeky' thing I like.

My whole family knows of my passion (I'm 40), but only when my folks visit me and my son do they come up up with strange remarks. My guest room is my LEGO room, so understandably when sleeping amongst 100'000 plus bricks do I get wierd remarks. On the other hand, my parents picked up all the star wars specials offered by the daily mirror in the UK last year, and gave them to me at christmas. Thanks Mom and Dad!

My brother and sister help me out with stuff exclusive to the USA (where they live) but certainly aren't above teasing me about it, which is nothing new, and actually quite fun.

I certainly don't make a big deal of it at work, but when sharing personals tidbits I have no qualms about mentioning my hobby, and have had only positive feedback. A lot of colleagues even want to see pictures. I think nearly everyone (at least in the western world) has some connection to LEGO through childhood memories, and these are then fondly shared.

For a while I ran a large supermarket, and when I stopped my co-workers (slaves, as I called them :tongue: ) pooled some money and got me a SW set (7259), which was very sweet. I already had it, but now I have two :thumbup: . My friends all know about me and LEGO, and besides from the normal 'what kind of wierdo are you' remarks, can't stop checking out my collection when they stop by (there's always something new :blush: )

As a single (father) though, I've certainly had quite a few experiences where the fire of passion was extinguished at the sight of my LEGO. My son's comments after those few encounters was 'Dad, build a woman friend out of LEGO' :tongue: .

My colllection used to be in my bedroom, now it's in my guestroom, much better!

So all in all, being open about loving LEGO, or about loving one's hobby, really is the way to go.

Edited by gratefulnat

My immediate family, and some relatives because they ask at christmas "what do you want?" My best friend knows, for he is sort of in LEGO and comes to my house a lot. My other close friends know that I like it, but I like it way more than they know.

I'm 28.. I'm not very open about my hobby...

I work in another city, so most of my LEGO is still in my parents' house, in my hometown. Most of my friends and relatives there know, but only to my closest friends I talk about it and show my new sets or MOCs. My friends are really made curious by my LEGO, and some of them always put my minifigs in "sex" positions!

In the house where I live now with two other people, I've got some LEGO but I don't keep it in plain view and I don't let the others see when I build something. My friends here and my colleagues at work don't know, and I browse LEGO sites only when I'm not seen. Maybe I'm close with people here because I've known them for less time, but I'm almost sure that some of them wouldn't understand and would consider it childish or strange! Probably I'll be more open with some friends, but for sure I'll never talk about it to my boss at work!

Edited by Lego Amaryl

You should be very open about it. I never really was until a few years ago. Everybody knows about it and even when i talked about it at work i pulled a co worker out of his dark ages...

So be open and save the ones that don't dare to come out for what they really like!

There was a time - a few years ago - when I would hide all my built models in a cupboard whenever I had friends over. It wasn't so much because I was ashamed of my hobby; just that I didn't want it to be a talking point.

Fairly recently, I was best man at a friend's wedding. My 'reward' was a large UCS SW set - which I had to open in front if 100+ guests, so I guess I'm 'out' now!

The older I get, the less I care what others think, but I don't mention it unless asked.

one advantage of being open about it is that i got Lego for free from my co-workers... ( Oh you are collecting lego... Ill check to see what i have in the attic...)

I keep it secret, most of the time. If I'm asked I usually tell, but otherwise, Id rather no one else knew.

I am totally open about it. Everybody knows I know, knows. Whenever I go to Downtown Disney with friends I always RUN into the Lego Store, even if I never told them about my legoy passion. Also for my Computer Applications class, I had an assignment to do a presentation on something that interests us, and I did mine on Lego. Also my GF know's and doesn't support my love for the bricks, but she is open to it. I told her when I get more money I am going to buy her a big set. Aha, let's hope that goes well. She says I should be into things that other 20 year olds are into so I reply, "like what", she says "I don't know".

Now my gundam and star wars figure hobby, I am a bit less open to, but still fairly open to it.

I'm very open about it. Most people in my residence know about the Lego in my room and how it's usually the one island of neatness in the sea of chaos that is my room. Whenever I'm at the mall with other friends I always insist on stopping by Toys R Us, Wal-Mart or any other store I know has Lego. I really scare them when I walk into a new store and can sniff out the Lego section.

Everyone knows. Family, friends, workmates, etc, and if I forget to tell them, they all find out when showing them around the house and they see the LEGO room, or they see the pirate on my desk.

As for myself, I believe everyone around me knows or at least aware of my LEGO Addiction without me saying it out loud. :laugh:

There is no way that I could hide my sets and boxes in the house, without my parents and sibilings realising it. There is no way that I could hide the fact that I collect LEGO when my girlfriend visits my house or staring at me whenever I suggest a shopping centre that sells LEGO. There is no way that I could stop my friends from knowing that I am a crazy collector whom spend a large portion of my salary on LEGO buying, especially on sales. There is no way that my colleagues will not know, where my office display the Mail Plane, Airshow Plane, some random minifigures, recent LEGO catalogs and even a SW LEGO Dictionary book.

I don't think it's easy for me to hide the fact from them, that I do collect LEGO. :blush:

Ah, what a great question. Unfortunately for me, it just wouldn't "fit" right to talk about lego. I have many hobbies, from working out, boxing, martial arts and sports playing to drawing, reading, lego, and many more. All of those hobbies I talk openly about, but one...Lego. The thing is, I am a very successful manager operating multimillion dollar business.-I know who would ever say right? ;) I am also extremely social person with many acquaintances and fiends. Also, lets top it off that I have European (lived in Europe for 17 years) accent and my body is body builder type. Does this draw a picture to any of you? My point here is that my personality and social life does not fit lego...I know this sounds rather odd to say, but its' the way it is. The people I socialize with, the coworkers of mine...it just doesnt fit. The only people who know are my 2 best friends (who both think I am crazy for spending $5-10 grand on my collection). I joined this forum because it gives me a break from reality and let's me get in the world of lego, where imagination and creativity are limitless.

Do any of you have similar situation?

Yeah yeah yeah, let me get slammed by some of you now. I was resisting to post something like this, but it is not like any of you know me or work with me, or do you? ;)

Oh, and I am perfectly comfortable with my situation the way it is :)

My wife says, "Go Play LEGO!" when she wants me out of her hair. ;-P

I don't broadcast.

ORC!

I'm very open about it.

Some time ago a colleague asked me if I was into LEGO. It turned out he too was an AFOL. When we started discussing which subgenres we we're into I could feel the drilling looks of "what the f*ck" from some of the other colleagues. :D Of course I had to start dropping a few set numbers to stir things around a bit. The upset colleague, who is a big nerd in other regards but did not seem to accept LEGO for adults, checked them on his iPhone and got even more upset.

Good times! :D

I had a co-worker that had his office littered with awesome sets. Seeing/admiring his cube decor, I felt more comfortable sharing my collection.

Thus the trend started. By the time I left the company, 5 of us had our cubes full of old/new Legos. The top of our cubicles was a wonderful landscape of bricks :).

Since then (2yrs ago) I acquired my collection from my childhood and purchased more sets, sharing the details on the various social media sites.

I get some virtual eye-rolling, but I've since brought some sets in and put them in my cube at a new company and most are admiring them. None are MOCs, but most people haven't really seen any new sets, so I get some praise ;).

I think I'm pretty open these days. It's a hobby and everyone has one, no matter how "weird" it is to others. I certainly don't force my hobby on people (save for my wife sometimes - "Whoa..look at THIS set!").

I had always liked LEGO but the prices ( for whatever reason ) always kept me away. I'm a hands on kind of guy but not a mechanical kind. I love working with my hands. Making Halloween props and stained glass. Bought this house two and 1/2 years ago mainly due to it having a big garage and I had 54 chevy that I wanted to " tinker " on. Well at the same time I had a health issue getting worse that required me wearing a weight reducing boot on my right ( gas pedal here in the states ) foot. I knew If it wasn't too far gone I'd have to have surgery or have it amputated if it wasn't fixable.

It came to where I wasn't very mobile anymore. Sold my 54 as it was a stick and bought an XBOX 360 and new TV. Still wasn't content sitting and doing nothing. That's when I got into LEGO. It was nice to be into something I couldn't screw up. Never had much luck with models. LEGO you just follow the instructions and you have a nice item to display.

I began " collecting " whatever I liked that was for sell at my local TRU or Wal Mart...etc. For me it passed the time. I had got the diagnoses that amputation was in my future and felt the need to make sure I had things to do here at the house as I would be home bound for a while after the surgery.

I wanted to buy something I wanted really bad to carry me through so to speak. Something to look forward to when it was all said and done and I was out of the woods as they say. So I searched and found LEGO City Set #7245 Prisoner Transport. I think I ended up paying 30 for it.

My surgery was Wed July 1, 2009. Was in the hospital til Friday the 3rd. Into rehab I went! The night I knew I was going home the next day I had my wife bring up my prized LEGO set #7245 and I opened the box. Still didn't put it together but sure admired the bags!

My surgery went well! I kicked butt in rehab and did it in a week where it's usually two. Got my prosthetic leg and skipped rehab for that! I'm truly blessed!

Fast forward--- I promise this all ties in!!!

You can't visit me and not know I'm not into LEGO it's in tubs in my living room. On a shelf in the kitchen. I was putting a clean pair of shorts on and found a LEGO brick in my pocket. VERY clean now! One found it's way into my wifes Nutty Bar box. A bag of them that I had been sorting found it's way off this sofa table and into a scrapbooking kit that I take to my mom's house once a month.

Had I been able to predict the future a house with a big garage would NOT have been a priority. An extra room or two would have!

I can't say I'm real open about this particular hobby. My friends know and I've even gotten one into them. Not with the passion I have yet but she's bought more then a few sets. I've tried to start a LEGO group here where I live and had no luck yet there. My wife is HUGE in being supportive. I haven't gotten her to cross over yet and I doubt I will. She likes them and looks at the catalog and talks about sets but I just don't think she'll get into them like I am. She's not big into hobbies in general but sure supports mine!

I've actually crossed over from collecting to wanting to MOC. I seem to be way more inspired by that then just buying a set and putting it together. Now I feel as though I'm playing catch up on everything I missed out on. Good way to go broke! I'm amazed and feel so giddy inside when I see some of the amazing MOCs here. Even the small ones. I'm a ways from having the LEGO needed to do anything major but I'll get there. Slowly but surely.

I figure I'll be selling some of my sets and focusing on what I want to MOC with. We'll see. I'm still am in awe at how much I like LEGO.

Edited by Legononymous