Morten

The Simpsons 2014 Rumors & Discussion

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I've been staring at the picture for so long that I hope to have a Lego Simpsons dream tonight (if I'll be able to sleep).

Last time I had one was last week. :grin:

My first thought: EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! (And yes, I really made that noise when my girlfriend showed me this picture. Yes, I'm a 28 year old adult who squealed really loudly in front of his lady over a picture of a toy. No shame.)

My second thought: D'oh! There is no way I'll ever be able to afford this. Like...ever. :cry_sad:

I mean, over 2500 pieces and a licensed set? And with so many new head molds? Looking at LEGO's past pricing, there is no way this is going to be below $250. Might even be as high as, gulp, $300! I'm personally too poor for that and I already somehow convinced my family to get me Ewok Village (a $250 set) this past Christmas and there's no way they'd drop that much cash on one set for me ever again (which is totally fair). So unless I win the lottery or have a distant relative die and leave me everything, this set will always be out of my reach. Sigh.

As good as it looks, I kinda wish LEGO would have aimed for something around $100 to $150 and just given us the front of the house with an open back. That way, waaaaay more people would be able to afford it, especially casual fans and consumers. I mean, this set and the Simpsons line in general would have been a good way for LEGO to get a lot of adults back in to LEGO again. But a lot of those people are going to see a $200+ price tag and say no thanks. Look at the Back to the Future set as a good example. It was easily affordable and I saw a LOT of my friends who's LEGO days were long behind them dropping cash on that set and coming back into the fold.

Oh well, at least I'll be able to afford the Simpsons minifigure line, so there is some silver lining I guess. :tongue:

I must say I'm impressed with this set. It's very big, accurate, and relatively detailed. Sure, it looks a bit bland, but it's as detailed as a cartoon house gets and I'm sure that the interior will look much more interesting which I am curious to see. Still, I have no interest in buying it, and I am very glad that all of the odd-looking "relaxed" variations come with this set like just2good predicted since that means that the regular versions with (hopefully) open eyes will come in the CMF series.

With his leg and arm printing, Bart is my favorite out of these figs so far.

Oh my gosh!!! This set totally surpassed all of my expectations. What an amazing set. Definitely getting this one!

I mean, over 2500 pieces and a licensed set? And with so many new head molds? Looking at LEGO's past pricing, there is no way this is going to be below $250. Might even be as high as, gulp, $300!

It won't cost that much. As I pointed out previously this set only has three hundred more parts than the Palace Cinema which was $150. So this is only slightly bigger. Granted this is a licensed set and contains special molds, but remember that the cost of the molds and licensing is also built into the collectible minifigures and any future sets that might come. It won't go over $250. There's just not a market above that price point and Lego is already taking a risk to begin with on an uncertain theme, I don't see them pushing the limits on price. It will be less than you think.

Also remember that The Tower of Orthanc, another licensed D2C set, had over 2,000 pieces but still went for $200. This set has more than Orthanc, yes, and it has new molds for the heads but I really doubt it will go for more than $250. In fact I'd say $200 is certainly a possibility and that'd be really nice to see.

I really like this set. I can see why some people think it's boring, but it already looks great to me and it's as good as a Lego house can get. The minifigures are okay and I'm fine with them for the most part, but the sleepy eyes bug me and I don't really know why they did that.

The house and car are awesome but the figures are soooooooooooo ugly. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing I spent around $200 for a set that come with minifigures as ugly as those. But again, awesome house :)

What I felt surpised is this is the most complete and magnificent Lego single family house in Lego history (thanks to the effort of City :look: ). It's a must-have to me, but the detail inside the house is to be determined. It's alittle weird that Ned comes without his own family.

About other sets, it's weird that TLC don't confirm to make any more regular set for this "theme". If the result is the first wave would simply be CMF series, really strange. Not saying there can't be sole licensed CMF series, but Simpsons has lots of building potential while some other licenses don't (eg, Disney mascots). It would have been better if previous licensed themes such as Toy Story could also come with their own CMF series.

Edited by Dorayaki

This looks fantastic. I love the size and the figures. I can't wait to see the interior. A perfect addition to my lego city. I just might buy two.

From what is shown in the picture, I'm surprised at how much they put into this one. A set like this would normally be simplified and shrunk to fit a lower price point (like Iron Man's Malibu Mansion or the Krusty Krab), but this is a lot bigger than I would have expected. Fully enclosed is also a big plus. Splotchy color-blocking could have also ruined it, but they kept it clean. I do wish the roof had a little more to it, though.

As far as the minifigs, molded heads really seem like the best way to go. I think a regular minifig head with a hairpiece for each of them would have mixed results (great for Marge, but not for others, especially Homer). The problem of nose/no nose and how to implement the 2-dimensional "Groening overbite" works out nicely this way.

Like Oky said above, the neutral/familiar expressions for the characters will likely be in the smaller sets because that's where more buyers will be able to get them. This set is primarily for diehard fans who are willing to pay for a $200+ set. I think it would be frustrating if I blew that much money just to get the house with the same figs the smaller sets have.

I don't see them pushing the limits on price. It will be less than you think.

I think the somewhat muted color of the house (rather than something more extravagant like Medium Orange or Salmon) might also help in this regard.

Oh man. That thing is a beauty! Even from this one picture, you can see the detail!

Don't know if I'll pick it up (Sea Cow is higher on the list), but if an opportunity presents itself, you bet I'll take it!

Wow. I'll take two, please! One to build and display and the other to remain in the box and rub softly at night. I mean...keep pristine for the future. ;]

Lol

Hope my contact gets more pictures

Ask him if he can take pics of the back of the box!

Does he have the actual full set? If so, ask him for pics of that!

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

Looks like a fantastic set, I wonder how much it will be in Australia, Double the U.S price or triple? , if it even makes it to Australia

Edited by SnapLock

Me and several friends are already keen as for this set. Just hope the price in Australia isn't outrages like some sets. :/

Damn it!! I Was hoping these sets would be bad so I could save money, but I'm going to have to buy this, I love the Simpsons and this is a great representation of their house. It looks like an interesting build too, I can't wait for high res interior shots..... :wub: