CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

Perhaps the sets don't get good names because so many people refer to them by number rather than set name.

Perhaps the sets don't get good names because so many people refer to them by number rather than set name.

I don't. But that's just me.

I think the main reason is that there´s more story and the story isn´t just being delivered through names and catalogs. In most stories, the creatures/vehicles/etc. are never referred to with the names of the sets.

That probably is it: Back in the good old days (mid-late 1980's and early '90s), we didn't have this "internet" thingy, so there wasn't as much pressure to get preliminary info out, and sets were available for AT LEAST two years, and themes usually lasted longer...

Back in them days, you had sets with awesome names like the Blacktron Battrax! Futuron Star Defender 200! Space Police (I) Galactic Peace Keeper! and other cool names. Now, you have sets being only available for a year (or less!) and themes that usually only last a year, two at most, unless they're licensed (Ninjago and Space Police III were the two BIG exceptions), and the names of the non-licensed themes (with the exception of, again, Ninjago and Space Police III) tend to be rather simplistic and, somewhat rushed.

Of course, I usually don't care because when I buy a set it either (a) gets built once, if at all, then added to the piece inventory or (b) moderately to heavily modified if I particularly like the design, with the minifigs being assigned to one of my pre-existing factions. My main criteria for set buying are (a) what kind of useful/interesting pieces does it have that I can't just get via PAB or easily Brick Link and (b) how useful the minifigs are for my collection, and I could care less about the "official" back story, even in licensed sets (I've bought at least 4 Hoth Rebel Battle packs just so I could use the troopers' torsos for the Federal Republic regular army and the sergeant's torso for the CSA Marines, and the Uruk-Hai battle pack just for the Orcs).

Interestingly enough, this is pretty much how it was when I was a kid, with the main exception that I would ALWAYS at least build the set according to the instructions at least once before dismantling it or modifying it....

Personally, I don't see how "Vermin Vaporizer" is any more mundane than "Galactic Peace Keeper". Even Friends has "3935 Stephanie’s Pet Patrol", which could easily have been given a more mundane name. Creator 2011 had the "Dune Hopper" and "Rescue Robot". Pharaoh's Quest had "Golden Staff Guardians" and Atlantis had "Seabed Strider" that same year. In 2009, Pirates had the beautiful "6240 Kraken Attackin'".

It should also be noted that in some languages, LEGO set names have frequently been fairly mundane. For instance, let's consider the Blacktron Alienator (6876). Like most set names that have become immortalized by the AFOL community, this is a US-specific set name. In Italy, it was the "Black Star" Robot ("Black Star" was the Italian name for the Blacktron faction). In Germany, it was the Space Rider (Black Space), similarly using a region-specific title for the faction as a whole together with a mundane set name. In the Netherlands, it was the Walking Robot. France really got the short end of the stick: there, it was called simply "Robot". The UK generally had somewhat nice set names; the Alienator was called the "Blacktron Strider", which while very literal still sounds cool and makes a lot more sense than "Alienator".

I have an Excel spreadsheet of Space set names from the beginning of the theme to the present in various languages over here if you want to give it a look. What I'm trying to show here is that TLG has always used different names to appeal to different audiences. And LEGO Space, perhaps more than any other theme, is one where the expectations of the audience are constantly changing. LEGO Space is heavily based on what kids' perceptions of the future are, and so it's no surprise that naming conventions have changed dramatically over the years.

Edited by Aanchir

I have an Excel spreadsheet of Space set names from the beginning of the theme to the present in various languages over here if you want to give it a look. What I'm trying to show here is that TLG has always used different names to appeal to different audiences. And LEGO Space, perhaps more than any other theme, is one where the expectations of the audience are constantly changing. LEGO Space is heavily based on what kids' perceptions of the future are, and so it's no surprise that naming conventions have changed dramatically over the years.

Excellent point: I've found similar trends with real-life place names: For instance, if you know Japanese, pretty much all Japanese town names go from being highly exotic and strange to downright boring: e.g., Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Nagasaki all mean Eastern Capitol, Big Hill, Capitol City and Long Point (as in the geographical meaning), respectively...

Perhaps some of these set names were the result of things getting "lost in translation", but who knows....

I acquired the Vermin Vaporizer and Space Swarmer yesterday. The Swarmer is a very nice little army builder, but the Vaporizer is utterly transcendent. Easily takes a place behind the Mega Core Magnetizer as the second best wheeled space set ever.

I'm getting really excited (and slightly jealous) hearing all these positive comments about the Vaporizer.

Vermin Vaporizer is on the top of my holiday wishlist, definately!

One thing that annoyes me, though, is that Orange has one more team meber then all the other teams. Maybe I'm just weird, but assymetry = :wacko:

Vermin Vaporizer is on the top of my holiday wishlist, definately!

One thing that annoyes me, though, is that Orange has one more team meber then all the other teams. Maybe I'm just weird, but assymetry = :wacko:

If there is another wave as has been speculated, it's not unlikely that we'd see more members of some of the other squads. They might not become equal, but there could definitely be some more representation.

I like(and look up if need be) to use both number and name when talking about specific set(s). It's juts easier. When people mention just the number, unless you look it up, you may not know which set they're talking about.

I acquired the Vermin Vaporizer and Space Swarmer yesterday. The Swarmer is a very nice little army builder, but the Vaporizer is utterly transcendent. Easily takes a place behind the Mega Core Magnetizer as the second best wheeled space set ever.

:oh3: Where does 7066 Earth Defense HQ rate on this list of yours?! :tongue:

:oh3: Where does 7066 Earth Defense HQ rate on this list of yours?! :tongue:

Actually, I got it at the same time as the Vaporizer and built it right after finishing the Vaporizer. Yeah, 7066 is amazing, but the Vaporizer is better. I'd say that 7066 is third on the list.

That´s not a review, that´s three pictures and a sentence.

Well, he did say quick. Plus, I haven't seen a close-up pic of the fighter in it's rather lame turret pose, so thanks for mentioning it!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Well, he did say quick. Plus, I haven't seen a close-up pic of the fighter in it's rather lame turret pose, so thanks for mentioning it!

It's more a brief overview than a review and the pics would be even better if they were actually in focus.

I can't wait for these sets. In fact I just ordered Swarm Interceptor for £10 more than it should be. I know it's a lot, but I can't wait for it to come to shops in the UK, and I think that 7071 is the 3rd best set in the theme, right after Bug Obliterator and the fantastic Vermin Vaporizer.

I think this theme brings great MOCing opportunities, due to the different squad colours. With AC the vehicles had to be blue, but you could have either blue, orange, red or green bricks, and still build a squad vehicle matching the colour scheme.

Edit: I have also just bought Bug Obliterator for £66

Edited by Captain Settle

I can't wait for these sets. In fact I just ordered Swarm Interceptor for £10 more than it should be....

Where did you buy it? US-Ebay or BL?

Edited by gerkenz

I can't wait for these sets. In fact I just ordered Swarm Interceptor for £10 more than it should be. I know it's a lot, but I can't wait for it to come to shops in the UK, and I think that 7071 is the 3rd best set in the theme, right after Bug Obliterator and the fantastic Vermin Vaporizer.

I think this theme brings great MOCing opportunities, due to the different squad colours. With AC the vehicles had to be blue, but you could have either blue, orange, red or green bricks, and still build a squad vehicle matching the colour scheme.

I can't wait for these sets to be released in the UK either; its a huge shame they may well not be available until after Christmas - there is nothing like swooshing a new Space set around the Christmas Tree! I haved looked on ebay and BL but the shipping prices seem to rocket up the cost hugely. I'm just hoping there is a slight chance either LEGO S@H or other suppliers list them as available before its too late for the big day...

I haved looked on ebay and BL but the shipping prices seem to rocket up the cost hugely.

I couldn't find any for a while, but then I saw the two sets at the same time. The shipping for Bug Obliterator was £8, but that was justified by the fact that it only cost about £48 due to the conversion between £ & $, which LEGO never seem to do anyway. As for coming for Christmas, there is a chance, because it should come between the 20th and the 26th.