Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Excalibur 2.0: Day One

What the MegaBloks are you doing, Mandel? After all those accusations go back and forth, and you vote late and then unvote, as has been pointed out, now you vote again, while agreeing with your accuser? It's like a weird mix of Wishy-Washy Voting, tunnel vision, and the "Acting like a Townie when told what a Townie should act like" Scum-tell.

I Vote: Timothy Mandel (Dannylonglegs).

It was the former Lieutenant Jones (Flipz), yes.

I see someone is back with their "scum-tells". I find it quite interesting how quiet everybody was during the Commander Gordon fiasco when it came to backing up Ensign Mandel and now that the tables have turned, quite a few people are eagerly jumping on him. I've got to say that if Mandel was scum I would have expected more of his team mates to join in on attacking Commander Gordon and that clearly didn't happen. Honestly I feel like Mandel is not our best choice for lynching today (if he actually is scum, I'll think he'll probably be easier to catch in his web of deceit later on down the line), his defense is not striking me as scummy and I agree with Ensign Rockford that his words seemed to be being "twisted". I'd much rather hear about Pewter's joking spree in the mean time.

Um was that directed at me or at the rather odd stage performance that just took place?

The rather odd performance that just took place. You do raise an interesting point, though. However, I don't really know what's going on with Ensign Pewter, but I'm going to Vote: Ensign Brian Pewter (Palathadric) to see if we can get some answers here :wacko: :wacko: .

The Clear & Concise

Real life happens, sorry I'm not sorry. (Well, excluding an apology to Bob, perhaps.)

The Expanded Version

My three main lynch targets for today would be Williams, Campbell, and Pewter, in that order.

And since we have unlimited unvotes, I see no reason to not throw my weight around a little.

Vote: Ensign Allison Williams (swils)

Much like Jones, Williams has completely flown under the radar thus far, in fact, more so than usual. I've played with Williams before, and she's usually a little bit more talkative. Not as much so as some people (:laugh:), but more talkative nonetheless.

In addition, if she is town, she's of no use if she's just going to sit around and do nothing.

Well, it's good to see that you've dropped the FoS nonsense at least. Really, why did you even bother with that in the first place? Voting had already opened. As First Officer Walters has posited, I've been quite busy with technical matters aboard the ship today. I've slaved over my jeepthe escape pods all day, prepping & installing bedliningcalibrating their life support, navigational, and other systems. Seeing as how I have paidthe U.E.N. has invested a significant chunk of changea significant chunk of change into this projectour mission and its crew, I feel obligated to see it executed properly, escape pods et al.

There's a silver lining to this cloud though: I got a tan!I'll be finishing up the maintenance by tomorrow eveningwhile you all are sleeping (well, most of you, I assume) tonight, and will be able to fully devote myself to these investigations in the morning.

That out of the way, let me apologize for being so middle-of-the-road, as per your first (and unquoted) suspicion of me. You're quite right. It would have been far more appropriate for me, at the time, to make an accusation based on hair style, or based entirely upon metagamey, unsubstantiated evidence. I mean, that was par for the course earlier, so I should have definitely followed suit. Or, at least, I should have poked my head back in and echoed a few of the arguments/accusations that others were making at that time, because then I would at least be an active sheep!

I've been busy in real life, Campbell, and if I'm not mistaken, I've spoken up more than you. :sweet:

Ah, so you do know what this 'real life' thing is. Good, good. Safe to assume, then, that you're also aware that this 'real life' is very unique to each person experiencing it and it has a significant effect on how much, as well as when, they are able to direct their attention to these investigations! Glad we're on the same page, saves me a lot of trouble.

So, for most of the day, Ensign Williams (swils), Ensign York, (Flare), Wilder (fhomess), Harper (Dragonator), and Francis (AwesomeStar), haven't contributed a lot today, and what they did contribute was pretty much pointless. Can't say this says very much, as I don't know if they're busy working around the ship or not, but more than half of the day has gone by.

There's still plenty of artificial daylight left, though! Also, see above.

So, yes, I've explained now, so you can unvote me. :sweet:

So, yes, I've explained now, so you can unvote me :sweet:

There's still plenty of artificial daylight left, though! Also, see above.

Okay :sweet:

So, yes, I've explained now, so you can unvote me :sweet:

He already has, voting for Timothy Mandel instead.

I see someone is back with their "scum-tells". I find it quite interesting how quiet everybody was during the Commander Gordon fiasco when it came to backing up Ensign Mandel and now that the tables have turned, quite a few people are eagerly jumping on him. I've got to say that if Mandel was scum I would have expected more of his team mates to join in on attacking Commander Gordon and that clearly didn't happen. Honestly I feel like Mandel is not our best choice for lynching today (if he actually is scum, I'll think he'll probably be easier to catch in his web of deceit later on down the line), his defense is not striking me as scummy and I agree with Ensign Rockford that his words seemed to be being "twisted". I'd much rather hear about Pewter's joking spree in the mean time.

So...it's...a bad thing to identify Scum-tells and analyze behavior when someone accuses and doesn't vote and votes and unvotes and 'revotes'? :sceptic:

He already has, voting for Timothy Mandel instead.

Aww crud, you're right. I was really excited to flip that quote back on him, too.

Vote Tally:

Ensign Campbell / Dakar A : 1 (Scubacarrot)

Ensign Pewter / Palathadric : 3 (Rufus, Dakar A, Scouts)

Lieutenant Commander Gordon / Scubacarrot : 2 (Masked Builder, Dannylonglegs)

Ensign Mandel / Dannylonglegs : 4 (Fugazi, CallMePie, Brickdoctor, Tamamono)

There's around 30 hours left in Day One

Well it looks like the tables have turned... stupid swivel tables. :hmpf_bad: Whose idea was that anyways? I always thought swivel chairs were good enough, but no. :grin:

I would not have "slipped up" if I was scum.

What kind of logic is that? :wacko: Everyone makes mistakes.

I wouldn't feel so uncertain because I would know that Gordon's not on my team, and I'd push as hard as possible to get him Lynched.

A good scum knows exactly what you just said but I would take it in a different direction. Using reverse psychology would be a much better strategy. In other words, pretending to be insecure as to appear that you don't have all the info. That's how you've been behaving - insecure.

It's because I was trying to find a scum, became self-conscious, gave up, realized how dumb that was, and then re-voted him.

This statement could be equally true if you replace "find a scum" with "start a bandwagon". And the only difference in that case would be your allegiance.

A really shitty scum would make a case against a townie, vote for said townie, notice no one else is voting for said townie, and then unvote said townie, then revote for said townie after being "called out" for unvoting.

I know my actions have been stupid, but do you honestly all think I'm that dumb?

No, I don't think you're dumb. I think you made a mistake, like all humans are prone to, and are using your intelligence to gracefully cover that up. The problem for you is, actions speak louder than words. And words said ex post facto carry less weight.

A logical scum would go right through with the vote until it became a bandwagon and until the target was dead, and then, on day 2 say, "it was an accident, my target's actions convinced me he was scum." He wouldn't back down on the bandwagon because no one was following. That would be "super scummy."

I know from the simulation that you're uncomfortable being scum. So to me, it seems like you tried to pull a scum move but chickened out and made the situation worse.

There is no way a sane scum group would have thought my moves would advance their cause in any way. They wouldn't!

That's why they're probably flipping out right now. You made a mistake of barking without a bite, and covered it up with a kneejerk reaction that made you seem silly.

Gutsy enough to depend on my logic to save me after intentionally screwing up, becoming a huge target? No. You see, confidence is a huge factor in one's ability to pull off a gambit such as the one you suggest I'm attempting to pull off right now, and I like to play it safe.

I know you like to play it safe. That's why I think you made a genuine mistake, not a calculated action.

I've got to say that if Mandel was scum I would have expected more of his team mates to join in on attacking Commander Gordon and that clearly didn't happen.

Mandel himself claims that in the simulation, he was perfectly comfortable voting for a player unlikely to be lynched. Just because his scum buddies didn't jump on board doesn't mean they aren't there.

I don't know if we'll have any stronger leads at this point, so my vote will go to you for the following reasons:

1) You built a case against Gordon, but were quick to unvote. Insecurity is natural, but the quick withdrawl made the accusations seem superficial.

2) After this was pointed out, you quickly revoted. I think this was your true mistake today. The reflex didn't pay off.

3) For the rest of the day, you've had the "bunker mentality" - trying to defend your action with words. Unfortunately, actions speak louder than words, especially when the words are defensive. And the logic you've used seems clear but slightly twisted in your favor.

4) Previously, you've been insecure as scum, and if I had to describe your action today with one word, I would use "insecure".

5) If we don't get a vote together for someone, our power as a town is diminished.

Vote: Timothy Mandel (Dannylonglegs)

Sorry, former brother. It's nothing personal.

I'll be honest, I don't think Mandel is scum, I think it would be very odd for a scum to go so front-line so soon, and without a (good?) case at that. I think he is just not playing a very smart game up until now.

Where my vote is now, Campbell, is going to go away. He defended himself, and it was an actual sufficient defense, I think. Along with the words that someone mentioned earlier, splitting our votes between so many people only benefits the scum, I will: Unvote: Ensign Campbell (Dakar A)

Now, there is only one viable target on the board for me, haha. If Rockford is telling the truth, we have catched a scum, I don't see why Ensign Pewter would be joking? Would it mean there are two scum factions? I very much want to hear from him: Vote: Ensign Pewter (Palathadric)

Now, there is only one viable target on the board for me, haha. If Rockford is telling the truth, we have catched a scum, I don't see why Ensign Pewter would be joking? Would it mean there are two scum factions? I very much want to hear from him: Vote: Ensign Pewter (Palathadric)

Someone brought up the fact that his odd behavior may mean he is a jester. Would it benefit us to lynch him and get him out of the way, even if that means satisfying his win condition? We wouldn't have odd-joke-man around, but so what? At least we'd have the confusing presence out of the way. It's not our fault the Admiral injected one of us with jester juice. :sceptic:

Very sorry everyone, I've been caught up in my astrobiology stuff back in the lab!

Real life got in the way, had some friends from the States over, had to be a good host.

However I have been checking the data log as the day has gone on and it seems there are two possible targets emerging here for a lynch. Personally I think Ensign Pewter has been playing a very suspicious game up to now. By kick starting a multi-page... of the data log... discussion on hair, clues and other whimsical ideas he successfully distracted nearly everybody and put off any real investigation, potentially enough to collude and develop a plan. He then claims he was just joking, but he says this pretty much every five minutes. For goodness' sake, Pewter, get your act together. The Captain's dead, there's scum in our ranks and we're fast running out of pop-tarts! This is not a laughing matter!

If you ask me the above behavior is just too suspicious to let go. If he can provide a decent defense then perhaps I'll consider it but so far I'm fairly convinced that Ensign Pewter does not have the best of intentions for this crew :sceptic:

Vote: Ensign Brian Pewter (Palathadric)

Well this is a bit of a mess. What did I say about investigating calmly? I don't see much sense in any of the votes that are being made, however I do wish to place a vote, as I do feel that doing nothing is not the way to solve our dilemma. For now, I will reserve my judgement and await further discussion before I come to a conclusion. Lieutenant Commander Gordon hasn't been particularly nice so far, and is always mean to me in Command meetings, however I get the feeling he is just a little too enthusiastic about finding scum on day 1, rather than actually trying to be manipulative. As for the other votes, they each make as little sense as the next. Rockford is certainly putting his reputation and possibly life on the line if it turns out that Ensign Pewter is in fact innocent. I wish to hear more from both before proceeding with my vote.

Munches on his wiener. Continue.

Someone brought up the fact that his odd behavior may mean he is a jester. Would it benefit us to lynch him and get him out of the way, even if that means satisfying his win condition? We wouldn't have odd-joke-man around, but so what? At least we'd have the confusing presence out of the way. It's not our fault the Admiral injected one of us with jester juice. :sceptic:

Uhm. Possibly...? If he is a jester, what would have happened if he is lynched: We have lost a third party player that was not going to be useful anyway, we would NOT have lynched a townie. But, we satisfied his win-condition, which does not negatively impact the town, but we obviously should not go out of our way for.

But: what is the actual chance he is a jester?

Well this is a bit of a mess. What did I say about investigating calmly? I don't see much sense in any of the votes that are being made, however I do wish to place a vote, as I do feel that doing nothing is not the way to solve our dilemma. For now, I will reserve my judgement and await further discussion before I come to a conclusion. Lieutenant Commander Gordon hasn't been particularly nice so far, and is always mean to me in Command meetings, however I get the feeling he is just a little too enthusiastic about finding scum on day 1, rather than actually trying to be manipulative. As for the other votes, they each make as little sense as the next. Rockford is certainly putting his reputation and possibly life on the line if it turns out that Ensign Pewter is in fact innocent. I wish to hear more from both before proceeding with my vote.

Munches on his wiener. Continue.

How much sense do we usually find in a Day One lynch. We go with whatever we can and then try to analyze patterns from there. You want something to make sense? Contribute and come up with something that "makes sense". Otherwise, just keep chewing on your wiener.

But: what is the actual chance he is a jester?

Same chance that the roulette wheel will land on black. :hmpf:

Same chance that the roulette wheel will land on black. :hmpf:

18 in 37? :wacko:

18 in 37? :wacko:

If you already knew, why did you ask?

Makes the most sense in this otherwise senseless day.

Vote Tally:

Ensign Pewter / Palathadric : 7 (Rufus, Dakar A, Scouts, Scubacarrot, AwesomeStar, Hinckley, Shadows)

Lieutenant Commander Gordon / Scubacarrot : 2 (Masked Builder, Dannylonglegs)

Ensign Mandel / Dannylonglegs : 5 (Fugazi, CallMePie, Brickdoctor, Tamamono, Inconspicuous)

There's less than 26 hours

Edited by Bob

Alright, looking at everything that has happened, and we need a lynch, I am voting Ensign Pewter / Palathadric.

I'd like to hear more from Ensign Pewter before taking any further action. Perhaps he could come to his senses and explain his erratic behaviour, now that he's under the spotlight. Though it does seem to me like he actively desired to be under the spotlight. It's like joking about having a bomb in ones luggage while crossing a spaceport security checkpoint. :wacko:

I don't feel comfortable voting for Pewter before he had a chance to defend himself. His behavior has been distinctly odd, but I can't really assess him right now.