wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I think the biggest problem with this line is how you replace the much loved vehicle concept behind most lines with large scale monsters.

Would they really do Shelob like Aragog in the Hagrids Hut set?

They've never done a Rancor so would they really do a Fell Beast or a Balrog mould? What about the Ents or the Mumakil?

That's a lot of money being spent on tooling for brand new moulds, they would have to commit to the line for the long haul to know it's going to be profitable.

The more I think about this line the less I see it happening.

I think the biggest problem with this line is how you replace the much loved vehicle concept behind most lines with large scale monsters.

Would they really do Shelob like Aragog in the Hagrids Hut set?

They've never done a Rancor so would they really do a Fell Beast or a Balrog mould? What about the Ents or the Mumakil?

That's a lot of money being spent on tooling for brand new moulds, they would have to commit to the line for the long haul to know it's going to be profitable.

The more I think about this line the less I see it happening.

That's a good point about the vehicles and the molds. If they did do this they could at least get 3 years worth of lines out with maybe LoTR next year, followed by 2 years of Hobbit sets. There are some amazing prospects for this range though, although I'd be surprised it would happen seeing that there's the massive Marvel/DC range next year

Edited by AngryChair

Hello LOTR, goodbye wallet! :laugh:

More elves, more dwarfs, more human factions, more 'creature' factions...

Oh ya, I'm STOKED! :wub:

I just hope it's TRUE. :sceptic:

Here is some stuff for our wallets. ^^

klick

I thougt, I could to transform Tolkiens huge world complete into LEGO set-ideas. Fuggedaboutit!

This theme could be bigger than Star Wars (if LEGO wants).

Of course would the "Tolkien" line not be the end of the "Classic Castle" line. It would be the same thing like Star Wars and Mars-Mission, Space Police, NASA-Program, Alien Conquest and so forth...

I hope for these dudes. LEGO could customizing 100 different peoples. And these dudes would be amazing. The elf from the series 3 CM or the orcs and dwarfs from the castle-line would be no comparison. The Tolkien-minifigures would be generally some levels "better".

I'd be interested in knowing how would be looking the LotR-sets?

In module-style for Grond the Battering Ram and the Gate of Minas Tirith like 6062 Battering Ram and 6059 Knights Stronghold.

LEGO have to create Minas Tirith in module-form. Everybody would for Minas Tirith to order every module-set.

The Orthanc Tower could be looking in 7093 Skeleton Tower form. Every location must be smaller than the original sizes (see LEGO Hogwarts-castle or Death-Star).

And LEGO have to create new bricks (elements) for a fantastic Rivendell or a beauty Lothlorien.

But do you know what me make creasy? That all is no reality. That is just wishful thinking.

:sing: AAHHRRGG PLEASE LEGO!

Edited by Elander

I think the biggest problem with this line is how you replace the much loved vehicle concept behind most lines with large scale monsters. Would they really do Shelob like Aragog in the Hagrids Hut set? They've never done a Rancor so would they really do a Fell Beast or a Balrog mould? What about the Ents or the Mumakil? That's a lot of money being spent on tooling for brand new moulds, they would have to commit to the line for the long haul to know it's going to be profitable.

Well, neither Harry Potter or POP had any vehicles except for the Hogwarts Express and a flying car that came in the same set. Kingdoms doesn't have vehicles except for a few carts and siege engines, both of which would undoubtedly be part of a hypothetical LOTR line. And while Atlantis has its vehicles, in several of the sets the vehicle is a tiny runabout playing second banana to a large monster.

And it's a bit of a jump to assume that the creatures in LOTR would have to be molded. TLG have made dozens of brickbuilt monsters. On the shelves right now there are giant brickbuilt dragons, crocodiles, anglerfish, snapping turtles, sea dragons, scorpions, and spiders galore - and all of them, except for Aragog, look pretty decent. I would be thrilled to buy a set with a brickbuilt mumakil, and probably wouldn't buy a molded one at all. The same goes for an Ent. I want to see these guys in Lego bricks, not some big ugly piece of molded plastic. I'm a fan of Lego, not action figures.

The only creatures I can really see TLG molding would be the cave trolls and the eagles, since those are on a scale that doesn't look great brickbuilt. And neither of those would be totally necessary for a first wave or two of sets. By the time people start shouting "what about the cave trolls?!?" TLG will know whether LOTR's profits justify new molds.

Honestly, I'm still on the skeptical side here, but I don't believe the objections you've raised are really legitimate obstacles.

I just got the dwarf from Minifig Series 5 and standing next to my Series 3 elf, they make a pretty convincing Legolas and Gimli.

Gryphon Ink

You bring up some very good points. And I would have to agree, I would much rather see brick built versions of those creatures. I don't mind some of the dragon molds for the Viking sets years ago, but at the same time, I'd much rather see a believable brick built version, which is probably why they came out with some of those Creator sets involving the crocodiles/dragon/t-rex and whatnot. The beauty of lego is letting your imagination run wild, therefore creating your own LOTR universe with what we have is fun, but certainly new molds for smaller pieces could come in handy, without doing a full sized mold for a creature.

We shall see what the future holds.

This all seems like a large hoax by someone really hoping for the line. Then again, I thought about that with Potc.

I would love and buy all of that line. If there was any time for LEGO to create the line, it would be now. But that is only my hopeful wishing. i would love some Riders of Rohan or a Gollum figure. :wub:

But I really doubt this.

HP may not have many vehicles but the express was released 3 times and even the Knight Bus has had 2 releases with little screen time. They even used the Durmstrang ship.

It would be excellent to see Brickbuilt large beasts but as i mentioned earlier, the Rancor has never been done and that is part of TLG's biggest license. The Hoth wampa, dewback and Jabba were all done as moulds and I think TLG seem to adopt this route.

I'd love to see LotR in Lego form but I'm skeptical that it fits in with what they are looking for in a license.

I really doubt there will be a LOTR theme.

What is the main purpose of the wars and bloodshed in the trilogy?

The ring!!

And I cannot fathom how they will make the One Ring for minifigures.

If LEGO forgets the most important part of the trilogy, that would just be a sad fail and to only make a theme for The Hobbit will be very useless I think.

I mean the Twilight Saga would be better! :hmpf:

1x1 printed tile, just like the 'padlock' piece. =)

*edit* Read ahead, Ogre...read ahead... LOL!

Edited by Ogre

I agree with Gryphon Ink... I think the same thing about Kingdoms, for example; even Pirates of the Caribbean. (EDIT: meaning "about vehicles")

Assuming we follow the movie, there's definitely horses, boats, Gandalf's carriage at the beginning of the movie, and little else until the last movie - where we have ships, Grond, and other siege towers.

But the locations would be phenomenal... Bag End, Prancing Pony, Rivendell (which could be several sets), Moria (which could be several sets), Lothlorien (also several sets), a few miscellaneous places like where we find the trolls turned to stone and maybe even Argonath...

Of course, I could keep going and going - a lot more possibilities than Pirates of the Caribbean or many other licensed themes, and the Hobbit adds a lot more.

Yes, I'm dreaming... I still don't believe it'll happen for various reasons, but a lot of people come up with a lot of reasons why it wouldn't work for TLG, and some of them are just silly... it's a common belief that vehicles are required for themes, but it just doesn't seem to really pan out that way.

I also don't think they'd need a lot of new molds. I'm sure many will disagree, but the large trolls from fantasy were more or less satisfactory... even the ride-able dragons make great Nazgul beasts. Nazgul themselves wouldn't require anything, hobbits, dwarfs, humans, and elves... already done. I image even Gollum (as disappointing as it might be) would be like Dobby from HP - a mold for a head, but a standard body otherwise.

Anyway, I keep dreaming... I still don't hold my breath. If anything, this thread inspires me to try to do more on my own more than wait for TLG.

Edited by fred67

As much as I would love to see a LotR series from Lego, we probably won't hear anything concrete about it until San Diego Comic Con next year...

If this is going to be a later 2012 or early 2013 release then look at how PotC was announced along with the new Super Hero line; and they both had, roughly, the same release time frame. True, Pirates went a little later to go with the movie but I can see this being a major news event next SDCC (provided its for real). I would be happy to be wrong about this and have info on these in the retailer's catalog (if/when it gets leaked).

But I do find it very encouraging that there are rumors cropping up about a TT game following a Lego LotR series...if we are going to get any real whiffs of this line, its probably going to be through an industry that's a little more liberal with information.

As much as I would love to see a LotR series from Lego, we probably won't hear anything concrete about it until San Diego Comic Con next year...

If this is going to be a later 2012 or early 2013 ....

I hope for LotR next summer when the Harry Potter theme ends. Early 2013 is to late. This theme has to many possibilities than to be a short theme. 1999 began LEGO Star Wars 6 months before episode 1 too.

I can't believe that LEGO won't to bring out LEGO Lord of the Rings.

I love the brickbuilt dragons from the "Viking"-line. A brickbuilt ent would be superb. I would to die for a brickbuilt ent battle pack!

Edited by Elander

HP may not have many vehicles but the express was released 3 times and even the Knight Bus has had 2 releases with little screen time. They even used the Durmstrang ship.

You're right, I forgot about the Knight Bus and the ship. But even with those two, the theme was mostly vehicle-free and has been one of the most successful licensed themes - maybe even one of the most successful themes of any kind, judging by how fast the boxes disappear and reappear on my local shelves.

I think when you're guessing if a licensed theme can succeed, you have to throw TLG's "house rules" out the window and instead judge it by how big the license itself is and how well Lego can adapt itself to it. I think LOTR can be done very well in Lego form, and the audience is MASSIVE. It's not only dedicated fans of LOTR, but also tabletop RPGers and geeks of all stripes who would like LOTR figs for displays even if they'd never buy any other Lego product.

I think when you're guessing if a licensed theme can succeed, you have to throw TLG's "house rules" out the window and instead judge it by how big the license itself is and how well Lego can adapt itself to it.

Great point, and very well said. I agree that with the licensed themes, the rules are different. The sets can be awesome, but if the license itself has limited appeal, then the line will be unsuccessful. I think Speed Racer and Prince of Persia both fall into that trap -- good sets, bad license.

I understand the possible obstacles that have been brought up in this thread (too violent, too location-driven, competes with Castle line), but I think TLC could make it work. The benefits far outweigh those obstacles -- it's an action-based, conflict-driven story with tons of characters. That fits perfectly with TLC's licensing strategy.

yes i suppose with licensed sets the normal rules dont apply so rigidly. I'd love to see this happen but only if they do it justice.

Could be massive!

Has anyone considered the simple solution for a ring, that being this piece? Or even a new mold, similar to the above but without a top stud and with a perimeter that can be printed upon. Such a piece could easily fit onto the top stud of a minifigure hand, or, if designed properly, be held by a minifigure. It's obviously impossible for a "ring" that fits on a minifigure finger to be designed, simply because minifigures don't have those. But that's no reason a ring would be strictly impossible if TLG decided a license required one.

I'm just saying, it is Lord of the Rings, not Lord of the Bracelets :tongue:

I want this theme to be real as much as the next LOTR fan, but Starwars and Lord of the Rings are too much I think...

I think I read about that somewhere...

I would love this and it could be as big and successful as the Star Wars theme IMO and the sets they could create makes me drool but if this was planned surely something would have leaked onto the internet by now, plus with the launch of the Superheros theme next year I can't see them doing this as well as I think one would over shadow the other and I it is something LEGO would want to avoid.

First of all, for all of you who keep saying "dwarfs", I'd like to correct you.

"Dwarfs" is the proper English plural of "dwarf", but in Tolkien's world, the proper plural is "dwarves" (he says something about this in the introductory material to either FOTR or The Hobbit). So if we're talking about the dwarfs from the Fantasy Era line, yes, say "dwarfs", but if we're referring to anything from Tolkien's world, say "dwarves". :grin:

I have mixed feelings about a LOTR theme. LOTR is probably the biggest focus of my... "fan-dom" and I'd love to see some good LOTR sets, but I feel that I wouldn't really go for the sets due to LEGO's style. LOTR is so epic, so huge, and the sets these days are just... not epic. Sorry, maybe I'm pessimistic, but LEGO sets don't come anywhere close to being large enough for LOTR scale. And of course, my biggest objection is that the people would come in pink skin :wacko::sick::sad::oh::sick::cry_sad::thumbdown::sick: . I have been entertaining plans of creating my own LOTR minifigure collection, but I want them YELLOW. And just buying the licensed figures and replacing the heads/hands with yellow ones can't be counted on because sometimes skin colour appears on torso print too.

Besides all this, licensed sets tend to be very expensive and my budget is a little tight over the next few years with school. I would hate to have to hold off buying LOTR sets when they come out and then pay triple the price in five years when I can actually afford them.

As far as moulds go, I agree with what's been said about brickbuilt monsters, with maybe moulds for the smaller eagles/trolls. I prefer brickbuilt creatures anyway (MMV chickens were better than Mill Village Raid chickens).

I agree that LOTR has HUGE potential for LEGO - the options for sets are endless, the fan base is probably pretty decent between adults and children (even some children that read the books and haven't seen the movies yet). But I don't think LEGO would go nearly as far as they've done with Star Wars, simply because SW is (I think...) still a lot more popular among children, which is what LEGO is mostly aimed at (I... think?).

As far as locations go, I personally can't see LEGO doing relatively insignificant areas like the stone trolls, or Argonath, or whatever, to name just a couple - nothing really happens at either of these places. Yes, maybe if the line got recycled over and over again for a decade or more like SW, we might get that, but like I said, I don't think that will happen with LOTR. But of course, that's just my feeling, and anything can happen in the future.

I too think that the violence argument is irrelevant. They're doing POTC and IJ, they can do LOTR (that being said, I don't think that the underraged children that mostly use LEGO should be watching ANY of those, but parents tend to let anything go these days). And I highly doubt the Ring piece problem would stop LEGO, despite all the AFOLs crying bloody murder.

All that being said, I think a LOTR video game would be great - I would almost definitely buy it.

Wow, that really got long. I was on my way to find a review for Blacksmith Attack, saw this thread, and an hour later I'm still here :hmpf:

So in closing, I'd like LEGO to please make a LOTR line, with cheap, massive, epic sets and yellow minifigures. :grin:

P.S. Many thanks to the people who jokingly posted about UCS Balrog and Minas Tirith like that. I laughed so hard.

Edited by Erynion

my biggest objection is that the people would come in pink

No need to get THAT distressed. Have a look in MCW Forum, you'll find a topic there how to change fleshie heads and parts into yellow. So never fear!

I personally wouldn't really like to see LotR theme at all for two major reasons:

1) That means the end of (temporary, but still) of LEGO own Castle theme. And though I don't really like Kingdoms that much, I suppose a certain "freedom" in the theme is always better that a regulated one by a specific story.

2) The prices, I expect are going to be rather high. For example PotC sets prices are really insane. It never usually stopped me with licensed sets, but with this theme I can't really make myself pay that much for it. The theme stopped LEGO's own pirates, which I find to be rather distressing. Not sure what the opinion of the majority of pirate fans here is.

And about LotR having huge potential. Indeed it does. But I can't help but think that LotR is still less appealing and "more mature" than certain other licensed themes. But that's I guess, because I always liked books more than the films.

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

a LOTR series would certainly please afol communities the world over. Even if it did not get released and was just a rumor, we'll still be buying lego to customize into lotr anyway..

nonetheless i hope the day i see a UCS 10xxx series Minas tirith, with thousands of white bricks like the Taj mahal. But It probably isnt likely..

and a us$199 Helm's deep battle wall, and Uruk Hai/Rohan/Gondor/Lorien Elves battlepacks at $15 each..

We can all Imagine can't we? hehe

a LOTR series would certainly please afol communities the world over. Even if it did not get released and was just a rumor, we'll still be buying lego to customize into lotr anyway..

nonetheless i hope the day i see a UCS 10xxx series Minas tirith, with thousands of white bricks like the Taj mahal. But It probably isnt likely..

and a us$199 Helm's deep battle wall, and Uruk Hai/Rohan/Gondor/Lorien Elves battlepacks at $15 each..

We can all Imagine can't we? hehe

I think LEGO Lord of the Rings has to based of a new modular-set theme. It's time for a new kind of set-revolution.

I mean like the modular exclusiv city houses just in smaller versions. Why a complete Minas Tirith or Helms Deep set if LEGO could produce this locations in several sets.

For example Moria: (3x modular-sets)

-The gate and the Giant Octopus of Moria

Moria Gate (luminous stickers in dark) with collapse function, LEGO created (brickbuilt) Giant Octopus

-Balin's Tomb (Balins mausoleum)

inclusive Frodo with Sting (LED lights up)

-The Bridge of Khazad-dûm

Gandalf with magic wand (LED lights up)

LEGO brickbuilt Balrog (red/black bricks, inclusive red/orange transparent bricks for LED lights up)

Bridge with collapse function

What do you thinking? Is that system realistic?

Edited by Elander