commanderneyo

Star Wars Rebels

Thrawn the military genius fails again,

He puts himself in harm's way twice in this finale, first by confronting Kallus and needlessly engaging in hand to hand combat and then by going down to the planet surface instead of staying where he was sorely needed - managing his fleet. He also foolishly entrusts a key asset (Interdictor) to Admiral Konstantine who has consistently proved himself a buffoon over the course of the series and who he has personally denigrated in the past. 

End result is they manage to destroy a few rebel ships but the vast majority of the leadership escapes. Kallus also escapes despite being handcuffed and under armed guard. The Empire is basically a Mickey Mouse outfit at this stage.

On 27/03/2017 at 1:19 PM, TeufelHund said:

Thrawn the military genius fails again,

He puts himself in harm's way twice in this finale, first by confronting Kallus and needlessly engaging in hand to hand combat and then by going down to the planet surface instead of staying where he was sorely needed - managing his fleet. He also foolishly entrusts a key asset (Interdictor) to Admiral Konstantine who has consistently proved himself a buffoon over the course of the series and who he has personally denigrated in the past. 

End result is they manage to destroy a few rebel ships but the vast majority of the leadership escapes. Kallus also escapes despite being handcuffed and under armed guard. The Empire is basically a Mickey Mouse outfit at this stage.

Yes, I agree. You can only blame yourself when your subordinates are repeatedly incompetent. How did Konstantine even become/stay an admiral? Certain favours for the emperor?

Edited by Artanis I

I don't agree with that, because Thrawn didn't lose the battle. I think poor editing and allowing the main cast to escape gives that impression he lost. But he managed to scatter the heroes, destroy all of Dodana's ships, lead to the death of Commander Sato, destroy half of Phoenix Squad's ships, and would have captured Hera and friends if it wasn't for Bendu going all Deus Es Machina. In a way it mirrors the end of the Battle of Hoth. Nobody complains that Vader was a poor commander due to the failings of Commander Ozzel, or that Vader is a "looser" because he failed to capture Luke and crew at Hoth and instead had to chase them across the galaxy before he finally got a hold of them... Thrawn dealt his fatal blow to Phoenix Squad, hence the reason the survivors are fleeing to join the Yavin rebel group.

Not to mention as others have mentioned, it was Tarkin's orders that really limited Thrawn's ability to kill the Rebels. So Tarkin is the real idiot commander here...

But I think the battle scenes were poorly edited in the last Rebels episode, making it look like a Rebel victory despite on paper being a resounding defeat and an Imperial victory. They really needed to animate a good debris field of Rebel ships floating around while the Ghost escaped, or make it more of a tense escape rather than the somewhat calm "let's fly through a battle and pick up Kallus on the way" the final shot gave us.

Not only that but Thrawn put Konstantine on the interdictor as an insult, probably because he simply couldn't get rid of him. Otherwise the Thrawn I know from the books would have most likely had him killed for failing and then making excuses rather then acknowledging his failure and resolving to not repeat the mistake again.

"Konstantine is more politician then soldier" which I infer means where he's awful on the battlefield he's probably quite good at cajoling and shmoozing. He most likely is friends with someone or many people or they owe him favors that he can't as of that moment be fully eliminated or removed. So what did Thrawn do?

Konstantine is a man who wants glory in battle and this battle was going to be just that, an undeniably glorious Imperial victory. What do you do with someone you can't get rid of? You punish them by putting them on a support ship, as Thrawn did in Iron Squadron because Konstantine is an ISD commander so that's a huge downgrade, thats also just in sight of the battle but not participating in it. 

To be fair to Thrawn the destruction of the second interdictor (when Thrawn was down on the planet) was BS both on the show and in real life watching it. Blasters and backpack missiles against not just a starship but a vital capital ship? Who could predict that because it shouldn't even be possible? 

Alternatively, Thrawn's involvement on the ground combat mission could be seen as a result of Konstantine's failure in space. Knowing that there was already an issue with their space superiority threatening total victory, Thrawn may have decided to command the ground forces personally, so as to ensure their success. We don't know if Thrawn was intending to do that from the start, because from all indications he clearly prefers playing distant chess than in your face boxing (but is of course great at both).

The more I think about it, the more I believe Thrawn really did succeed in the battle. He may not have captured the Ghost & Friends, but he did completely destroy Phoenix Squadron. That said I think we need to wait until season 4 to really see the ramifications of the battle itself.  

On the plus side though, this episode did give us one of Thrawn's greatest lines, in the form of his scream to "Konstanteeeeen!"  :grin:

1 hour ago, Forresto said:

Not only that but Thrawn put Konstantine on the interdictor as an insult, probably because he simply couldn't get rid of him. Otherwise the Thrawn I know from the books would have most likely had him killed for failing and then making excuses rather then acknowledging his failure and resolving to not repeat the mistake again.

I was actually hoping Konstatine would survive so we could have seen Thrawn do just that. Thrawn personally tossing Konstatine out an airlock, or shooting a blaster bolt into his face... Then when the second Interdictor was destroyed the commander of that ship would have acknowledged his failure and explained what he was trying to do to avoid the same mistake Konstatine did; then be surprised when Thrawn promotes him as reward for his creative thinking... Okay that might be a bit to on the nose, but it could have been an homage to one of Legends Thrawn's classic scenes.

Some Celebration rumors/news bouncing around both Rebels and the new Forces of Destiny hinting at the fate of some major characters from Rebels

Rebels concept art shows Rex in a green commando garb similar to the soldier many fans have speculated in Return of the Jedi was actually Rex as many fans hoped. Meanwhile Forces of Destiny looks like it could include a Hera-Leia-Han team up around the time of the Battle of Endor... Looks like the Ghost and its crew might be surviving not just to Scarrif, but all the way to Endor too? I imagine either Kanan or Ezra might die to keep Luke's important place as the restorer of the Jedi in place... but Hera and Rex seem at least almost guaranteed to last the war now. Really curious where this is all going.

That's actually really cool. Honestly as long as they conclude Ezra and Kanan's arc in a satisfying way to the overall canon (I hope they kill them off) i'm quite happy to see the rest of the ghost crew survive longer. Look plot armor sucks for a weekly show upon initial viewing but I think Rebels will fit pretty snugly into the overall canon in hindsight.

By the way if you haven't read the new Thrawn novel yet I highly recommend it. I'm a 150 pages in and its really fantastic so far. It also makes me appreciate Governor Pryce as a character much better.

Edited by Forresto

Yes to be honest Kanan and Ezra are the only loose threads in Rebels for the overall Canon. Heck, I could see Kanan dead and Ezra running away from it all in some self centered move... thus making him absent for the rest of the OT. Meanwhile Hera, Sabine, Rex, and Zeb continue to kick butt for the rest of the war and are deemed war heroes by the end and retire to a happy life on Lothal... :laugh: (Actually if the Sabine-Antilles shipping ever becomes reality, Sabine is good as dead since the canon has already hinted the Empire "murdered" one of Wedge's first love interests...)

Mark my words: Kanan and Ezra will meet their fate in a duel with Darth Vader, and that battle will have the Dark Lord emerge victorious, but wounded, leading up to a bacta healing session in his castle – and his very first appearance in Rogue One. Save this post, you'll remember it later.

I love Kallus's new look and hairstyle. It's cool to see elements from Rogue One like the Tanks and U wings. It's very sad to see this Season will be the last :cry_sad: 

So very sad it is the last season! Trailer is great! Also today Dave Filoni was wearing a " Ashoka Lives?"Shirt and after the trailer he's wearing "Ashoka lives!" This season will be interesting and fun!

Edited by ChiefPie

U-Wings, X-Wings, Bo-Katan?, Saw Guerrera, Hover Tanks, Tie Defenders... Oh my gosh looks like fun. But the last season? A little shocking. I knew Rebels wasn't exactly reaching the popularity The Clone Wars had, but I am a bit surprised to know it is ending so soon. Yet I am glad they will have plenty of time to wrap the story up with a full season to prepare the table. It also explains why we are starting to get hints of what happens to some of the characters, such as Hera's confirmed survival to the Battle of Endor; Disney is probably preparing to move the stories of the characters on in other medium now. Really makes me wonder what is next though for Star Wars animation since Forces of Destiny is not a full length series the same way Rebels and TCW are...

:cry_sad: The end is near! 

It's not really surprising I suppose that season four will be the last, as the storylines have been driving headlong towards that type of scenerio. But like Filoni, I would (and always) prefer that a show can end on its own terms in the appropriate story manner. That said, IGN tells me there will only be 15 episodes (as opposed to 22) so that's somewhat alarming...

Although not as alarming as Hot Kallus' new look (and apparent official nickname)! :wub: I cannot wait to see where his storyline goes. Appropriately I hope we also see more of Zeb, as he was really shuttled towards the back in season 3. 

Trailer wise I was honestly disappointed, as there was no big "humpf!" punch to it, and it was largely recap. Good recap, but still. Granted topping Thrawn's reveal from last year was almost impossible. I do find the worrisome (but very much welcomed) inclusion of Warwick's Rukh to be suggestive of Thrawn's possible end, but considering what happens in the EU, Thrawn's fate most likely will be changed to match the Bendu premonition, hopefully. 

The movies maintain some mystery in the force. Like they don't give answers but only hints.

The original expanded universe over-answered everything and make everything non-mysterious. One good thing about that being erased is a return to mystery.

Rebels seems to be trying for the mystery but it's freakin' ridiculous. Seems like they might have made Ashoke into some kind of Force-Werewolf. Geeze this show is bad... Just KILL off characters. :/

If the crew believes fifteen episodes is what the series needs to wrap up, I'll take their word for it. I'd rather have a tight fifteen episodes full of plot than twenty two with half of the episodes propelling the narrative and the other half being filler. Some pretty fun filler mind you, but filler nonetheless. 

How are they going to set up Rukh's motivations in a season, flesh him out, and portray his betrayal of Thrawn. I dont know if I entirely buy that he will kill Thrawn in this timeline and in fact I hope he doesnt. It would be far more interesting if he was put in as a red herring to build tension and in the end something else defeats Thrawn.

5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

If the crew believes fifteen episodes is what the series needs to wrap up, I'll take their word for it. I'd rather have a tight fifteen episodes full of plot than twenty two with half of the episodes propelling the narrative and the other half being filler. Some pretty fun filler mind you, but filler nonetheless. 

I agree. The first series was very tight with only 13 episodes + the pilot, so I think 15 episodes is good. Hopefully no more space whales...

On 4/16/2017 at 9:06 PM, TeufelHund said:

I agree. The first series was very tight with only 13 episodes + the pilot, so I think 15 episodes is good. Hopefully no more space whales...

Who will think of the whales now? ( ; . ; ) 

I kid but yeah, time to wrap this up me thinks. I have enjoyed the series despite the lightness of a lot of it and the meandering of the other half of it. Still they introduced a decent set of characters and left enough open to imagine further for yourself. 

My only hope is that next time (even though it is supposed to be a kid's franchise) that they step up the narrative with a much more serious tone. We already have plenty of introductory/indoctrinating material available for future generations of yet-to-be-SW-fans.

I would totally welcome a series on the Knights of Ren or an adaptation of what the next Battlefront game seems to be bringing to the table; the rise of the First Order in the Unknown Regions. 

22 hours ago, quark12000 said:

Hera and Chopper are in the new season of Freemaker Adventures, so we know that at least they survive.

Freemakers show isn't canon. But I would say those 2 survived the attack on Scarif.