Peppermint_M

Which Comic Do You Read?

Recently read the New52 Nightwing series and really enjoyed it, I'm currently reading Grayson which I'm liking just as much.

Apparently Rebirth is going well, I'm definitely going to pick up Detective comics and Batman when they're collected in trade, and maybe even Superman.

I loved the heck out of Secret Wars! I've been reading Jonathan Hickman's Marvel work since he started on Fantastic Four, so it really was the culmination of years of stories. The delays and padding bugged me a bit, but all-in-all: loved it.

I loved the old school Secret Wars 2. That was very nice.

Ha, that's a character I never expected to love, but I've been reading it since issue one simply because I'm a huge fan of the writer. Perhaps you should try some of his other work? Check out Dinosaur Comics at qwantz.com. It's a weekly webcomic that he made for years. It's not for everyone, but it's where I first read his work and I find it absolutely hilarious. There's also years worth of work there for you to peruse, and, bonus, it's all free. If you want something slightly more "traditional", he also wrote the first 25 or 50 (I forget) issues of the Adventure Time comic, if that interests you at all. If you like the style and tone of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, I'm fairly certain you'll dig it.

Dinosaur Comics are so much fun! I'll add my own endorsement.

Anyways, I've got a trade paperback of Black Science that I'm about to delve into. From what I've gathered, it's a fantastic series, so I'm pretty excited to check it out. All of the art I've seen is beautiful.

Recently read the New52 Nightwing series and really enjoyed it, I'm currently reading Grayson which I'm liking just as much.

Apparently Rebirth is going well, I'm definitely going to pick up Detective comics and Batman when they're collected in trade, and maybe even Superman.

I'm liking Rebirth comics quite a bit. I've read every one, and the only ones I'm not too hot on are the Superwoman and New Super-Man titles.

Detective Comics is definitely one of the best, in my opinion, along with Deathstroke and Red Hood.

I'm not read up on the New 52 Nightwing or Grayson stories, but the Nightwing Rebirth is near the top too, and picks up after the Grayson storyline, I guess, because he mentions it now and then.

Edited by Deadshot

Currently reading The Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet. I love how bizarre this retelling of the famous Infinity Gauntlet Marvel event series is. Doctor Doom makes sandwiches for Spider-Man and Wolverine!

I haven't read any comics since the last issues of "Cherry Pop-tart" and "Omaha the Cat-Dancer" (early '80's?) I tried collecting "Moon Knight", but that didn't go anywhere. Neither had "Dazzler" by the time I liquidated my issues.

I read a huge variety, mostly DC. Just finished Morrison's first collection of Doom Patrol, Starfire's first New 52 collection, and Quantum and Woody's first rebooted collection (if you didn't notice, I tend to read the paperback collections. I looooove Elseworlds stories, the recent The Omega Men run is one of my favorite comics of all time, and I'm always trying to branch out and read new characters I've never seen before.

On the whole, I love Morrison. His DP is no exception. I have no opinion (or knowledge) about the rest. I read Quantum and Woody back in the day, but haven't tried the relaunch/reboot/whatever. How was it?

Personally, I just finished re-reading the most recent Marvel Darth Vader series, since it just wrapped up. And, in my distaste for the current slate of Marvel comics*, I started re-reading Hickman's Marvel stuff, starting with his Fantastic Four run.

*Except for the Vision mini-series by Tom King, which just wrapped up. That was amazing.

22 hours ago, rob-ot5000 said:

On the whole, I love Morrison. His DP is no exception. I have no opinion (or knowledge) about the rest. I read Quantum and Woody back in the day, but haven't tried the relaunch/reboot/whatever. How was it?

Personally, I just finished re-reading the most recent Marvel Darth Vader series, since it just wrapped up. And, in my distaste for the current slate of Marvel comics*, I started re-reading Hickman's Marvel stuff, starting with his Fantastic Four run.

*Except for the Vision mini-series by Tom King, which just wrapped up. That was amazing.

Quantum and Woody's relaunch is brilliant. Absolutely hilarious and clever. And I can't wait to pick up the second Doom Patrol collection now that I've finished the first.

Okay lets catch up the list now. Last time I was on here I only had a few comics that I had read, but the list is growing quickly now. Here is what I got so far:

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (I own a copy of Volume 1, and I have read Volume 2 and the graphic novel Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe at the university library.)

Superior Iron Man (I own both Volumes.)

Star Wars: Darth Vader (I own Volume 1).

Star Wars: Han Solo (I own the five paper back comic books).

And while at the university library I have read a bit of Rocket Racoon, Moon Knight, Marvel 1602, and even browsing through an old favorite of mine from my youth Calvin and Hobbes (the university library has the complete Calvin and Hobbes collection.) The university library also has some Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) books, but they start in like Volume 5 so I don't want to start reading any of those until I can see what happens in all the previous volumes. 

So from those series the ones I want to continue collecting is Darth Vader and Squirrel Girl (Darth Vader being great because it is dark, brooding, and viscous; while Squirrel Girl is great for being exactly the opposite! :laugh:) However I want to see if you guys have any other recommendations or suggestions. I like definitely seem to have more affinity for Marvel than I do DC; but for some reason the comic series featuring the same cast as the MCU characters in Marvel right now all seem to be a little weird(Tony Stark adopted? Captain hailing Hydra? Jane Foster Thor?) so I am a tad apprehensive to read them since they seem to have some real wonky plot lines going on. It seems I am mostly enjoying the comedy stuff. When it comes to DC the only real character they have that might interest me is Batman; but I don't know if he has any interesting series going on now. 

Plus since I tend to buy Volumes instead of individual books, I need to be money savvy in my comic purchasing plans. 

Let's see, I've read several recently, but most notably, the first collection of We Are Robin, which is very clever and well-written.

My pile of books is rather large, the ones that are waiting to be bought. And I'm having trouble trimming the fat... Figured I'd look for some inspiration here on cutting back. How did you convince yourself to cut back, even when it's stories you're enjoying at the moment?

I currently read the ongoing Star Wars comics (the Star Wars and Darth Vader titles) which are being translated and released here in Norway in soft cover book format containing 6 of the comic releases each.

Just started the new Darth Maul miniseries. The first one is pretty good, though very angsty. It is setting up for a good read, though.

im also thinking about picking up Dr. Aphra. 

Working on the IDW Ghostbusters series. Honestly I enjoy these more than the movies (that's not weird is it?) And maybe Case Closed if Books a Million ever gets more than like two copies at a time I swear to Nox. And slowly getting through Re:Life. I kinda wish Crunchroll had a bookmark option...

I just wish comic book stores would be closer to me than an hour's drive.

I've started reading the "Cat-Eyed Boy", a manga by Kazuo Umezu. Such a good horror comic!
I'm also re-reading every GeGeGe no Kitaro manga I own. 

Before I start reading any new stuff I want to catch up with some of the classics! Thinking of getting Astroboy, too.

Catwoman: No Easy Way Down, by Ed Brubaker. A great Batman-offshoot series that delves in a complex and unlikely heroine, exploring her history and motivations.

Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples, recently read book 5 and 6. Love the space opera style. Great characters with depth, interesting themes of family and social commentary.

Lazarus, by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark. Just finished book 1 - great dystopian premise; full of deceit, betrayal, and mistrust; most of the characters are so willing to backstab each other, and yet I root for the main character who is a genetically modified killing machine. Looking forward to continuing this series.

East of West, by Jonathan Hickman. Set in an alternate dystopian version of the United States, where the Civil War never really ended. Multiple factions are set on a collision course for another war - a coincidental and chilling parallel given the current political climate. Interesting personification of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - not sure I understand these characters yet.

Just read Gerard Way's first run on Doom Patrol, after having finished Grant Morrison's run a little while back. 

Metal Men: Full Metal Jacket, originally published in the Legends of Tomorrow ensemble comics, was great, but the Firestorm and Metamorpho books were rather lackluster.

Thoroughly enjoyed several Rebirth collections: Green Arrow's, Deathstroke's, and Detective Comic's first books, and Tom King's first Two Batman books (Bane has never been scarier while naked)

Still working through Injustice: Year Five's reprints.

Finished Azzarello's New 52 Wonder Woman run, and liked it quite a bit, and Paul Levitz's Doctor Fate, which was mostly well-done.

Finally, started working on reading Image Comic's Sex Criminals. It's not what it sounds like. Very good so far.

Looking for other options for storing my collection. As it sits I have 9 long & 8 short boxes taking up room...and I have stacks not even in boxes yet. 

What other methods, if any, do you all recommend? 

I have been recently catching up on reading some of the new star wars comics that are canon. Darth Vader is good, but my favorites are the Poe Dameron comics, now they are really fun to read.

At the moment I'm reading Deadpool Unleashed, (really funny)  but before that was reading Angel (Buffy) : After the Fall. 

Edited by Lego-fire

Digging up this thread looking for opinions. For those who once bought comics a lot but now don’t, what was it that made you stop? 

My go to comics store closed recently, and due to the rough times I got behind a few weeks. Now as I’m getting a list of needed books for the other shop, I’m kinda losing steam. I think about chucking most of my list, but then I think about the titles I do get, I go back & forth. I do enjoy them.