SirNadroj

Salem Witch Trials

That's really good, and I have been there before. It's a nice little town actually. :wink:

Really nice MOC Sir Nadroj! :thumbup:

The wall slats look great and the bald tree is wonderful. :classic:

The texture on the roof adds a lot as well.

Great work!

"This man is killing his neighbors for their land." -Giles Corey

Aha, I love The Crucible a lot. It was a great play that taught about what this MOC is about, hysteria. More on it, I do like it a lot. The tree is very dead, like the person hanged. All is normal for the old man that's walking out!

Ooo very nice and spooky! We were just reading abou thtis in my English class the other day, so its funny that you should do this...

This is really nice one, Jordan, but I especially like it as a seasonal transition getting into that timeless autumn/harvest/Halloween spirit for the upcoming month of October, something that I especially can associate with New England. I'm also thinking it would be great to see an interior around the back considering you've left it open by only including two out of the four walls.

Editing and thinking back, I forgot how much excess blockliness protrudes from the back of front wall, so disregard that interior comment. :tongue:

It's still all awesome, however, just to restate. :classic:

I thought this was a good MOC, then I say the slanted wall design and it just blew my mind. Excellent work as usual Nadroj.

I thought this was a good MOC, then I say the slanted wall design and it just blew my mind. Excellent work as usual Nadroj.

Agreed. I can only imagine how many different technics you've learned over your time as a builder.

Very nice work, Nadroj. The tree is very well done and spooky, as is the little fence. I like how you mixed frown and brown and scrambled the tiles on the rooftop. I've always wondered- how do you make those bricks "stick out", like on the house? I've seen this in other creations too, and I'm very curious to know.

Anyways, great MOC, the whole thing looks like the Pilgrim age, and like fall. :classic:

EDIT: Never mind about the bricks that stick out, I think I figured it out. Now that leaves the question of how you tilted the tiles on the front...

Edited by JimButcher

The MOC looks lovely (in a creepy, haunting sort of way), and the withered tree is absolutely superb.

But to me, there's no hysteria to speak of in it; there's just one man and it looks like he decided to go bonkers and hang his wife. My point is, if there was an actual hysteric crowd around the hanged woman (or even several people hanged) it would've given a better impression of a witch trial.

And we mustn't forget that also men were hung as witches back then, although they were a minority in the bunch. Sadly the targets of the witch hunt were often mentally ill and disabled people, "village idiots" so to speak,or so I've read. :sad:

That's one scary MOC.

I really has that creepy suspense to it.

I keep looking over my shoulder, expecting dirty men with pitchforks and torches yelling "Burn the witch, BUUUUURN HEEEER".

A very well designed and beatiful MOC as usual :thumbup:

"What do we burn apart from witches?"

"Moooooore witches"

Great job capturing the spooky feeling in this creation.

Both the tree and the house are very well done. That wall technique integrated into the creation better than I would have thought from the original picture.

I agree with with Sandy about the lynch mob though. I think you need at least a few more people before it starts to feel hysteric.

SirNadroj,

That's hilarious! Well done too. Very nice. I'm jealous that you've got the Advent wench ... aren't you in the US? I'll check ... yes. Oh well, guess I'll have to order some from Europe :(

Again, very clean looking and sharp. Now just need a Monty Python witch scene :)

~ Medievalego ~

I'm jealous that you've got the Advent wench ...

But the woman in the MOC isn't the maid from the Advent Calendar! The figure is Marion Ravenwood with the hair of Agent Trace and the skirt of the Chess Queen from the Harry Potter set Chamber of the Winged Keys. :wink:

Heh, I feel like such a LEGO geek for knowing where all the different pieces come from! :tongue:

Perhaps you could build something similar for the Pillage the Village contest, I think you can use the hanging tree for sure there.

As I have said more then once this week: you are going to be topugh to defeate if you enter the contest...

Great MOC. Among other techniques, your use of slanted tiles to simulate wood siding is magnificent!

A couple critiques.

The woman being hanged looks very alive. A crowd around her, or someone hoisting up the rope would probably be a nice touch if you are going for a depiction of her death. If she is to be dead already, a different head (not sure which one) might be in order.

Also, as relates to Salem. It's been years since I read the crucible, but these were Puritans. Even in the throes of a which hunt, they would be orderly and "dignified". A good sturdy gallows, and having the head and face of the condemned cloaked (perhaps a ninja mask or a reversed castle cowl) might better fit the situation if this is to be Salem.

These are small criticisms, however, for what is a really evocative and well executed MOC.