• Unacceptable!
  2. 2. Will you buy this set?

• Of Course!
    • Probably
    • Maybe
    • No Lumping way!

What time is it?

Adventure_Time_logo.png

LEGO Ideas and Cartoon Network have joined together to create a totally Algebraic new set. 21308 Adventure Time!

28209801441_642101f40c_c.jpg

The official product description reads:

Build LEGO® brick versions of eight of your favourite Adventure Time characters and role-play scenes from the awesome Cartoon Network show. This set includes Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, Lady Rainicorn, Marceline, BMO, Gunter and Ice King. Use the included accessories to create your own stories and make every day a fun adventure!

Also, as we all know, LEGO Ideas sets have come from the clever and creative brain-spaces of LEGO fans. From the LEGO Ideas blog I present aBetterMonkey (aka Ludovic Piraud)

Watching Adventure Time [is] "a good way to escape the routine after a hard day at work and to recharge the batteries". 

"The appeal for adult viewers like me I think comes from how it taps into the nostalgia of childhood play fantasies where imagination goes wild. As does playing with LEGO bricks, as a matter of fact"

The set stats for all you number hungry heroes:

Parts: 495 Pieces 

Prices: $49.99 (I can only find the dollar price right now...)

31324575560_4a0ef75f09.jpg

Here's the box, the usual sturdier fold out flap package that the more "presentation" oriented sets are sold in. It is very attractive and colourful, with the graphics styled like the cartoon and the characters posed in a way reminiscent to the cartoon too. Showing us just what we get with all the important branding logos too!

31550759312_7f21fd2c10.jpg

The back of the box is a cute comic strip arrangement comparing the build-able figures and the characters in the show. Honestly, this is making me hope that there might be an all LEGO styled episode in the series.

The Ideas blurb on the boxout informs you about the set. The sides have a continuation of the Land of Ooo styled landscape.

31581560231_167765c54d_c.jpg

Here is a nice little bit printed under the flap. Sage advice too.

30886979283_a6b37a519c.jpg

Inside there are three numbered bags and the full colour instruction manual. The Manual itself has the full instructions and a little character biography for the featured characters. Also, popping up on a few pages are the brick-built characters themselves with little quotes to enjoy as you build. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, building in a logical way to create each figure. 

Bag 1

31697088895_d4a4cc033d.jpg

Finn, Jake, BMO and a brick separator. Very useful tool, but I have nearly 12 now. Included as these Ideas sets are often aimed more at the fan of the theme than the LEGO fan, so it will be useful for them. There are printed tiles and bricks to create our favourite characters and the colours required too. Certainly it is mostly basic parts, but the result are some very charming figures.

31581487441_36bb28b15a_c.jpg

Here's the boys (and BMO). Two controllers for video gaming, a cute little BMO with NPU(Nice Parts Use) hotdog arms! BMO is just as adorable as in the series. Jake is all the right colours with the usual cheery grin. The construction of his face means you can build plenty of his morphed forms. I'm looking forward to having a go at building a Jake Suit. Now our hero himself, Finn the Human Boy. The clean lines of a brick-built figure suit the character, two round tiles as the bear hat ears are a great little detail. Pose-ability is minimal, but the mixel ball joints allow some sword swinging detail. The simplicity of the sword design also means it is easy to create many more of Finn's favourite things to take into battle.

Overall, these three are well designed, fun to build and cute to boot.

31581492581_ee3ed5fa0b_n.jpg

Spares aren't actually very remarkable, but spare parts do add to a collection.

Bag 2

31550785172_c15fc72b97.jpg

Here we have the parts for building Marceline the Vampire Queen, Ice King and Gunter the penguin. Printed eyes and two printed 1x3 bricks for the faces. The snowflakes are always lovely to see and these trans-lite-blue ones are great. The pyramid in trans-pink is also very pretty. 

31550670472_e22785c318_c.jpg

Here we have the rockin' Marceline, Gunter the possibly evil penguin and Simon Ice King. I just love Marceline's design, getting the hair just right but still LEGO like is excellently accomplished here. Mixel joint arms again let there be some poses, but it is a little hard to get the axe-bass into a good place. Gunter the penguin is a cute little thing, his wings are two shield tiles that leave minimal possibility, Though, how much do penguins need to do? Ice King has an impressive beard, the nose we all know and the magic crown. The snowflakes are a nice touch and the ball joint arms are perfect for Ice King, you don't see many more movements from him than flying and waving his arms around.

These three were fun to build and again capture the look of the cartoon characters very well.

31581499831_eca4b2287a_m.jpg

Spares, minimal again, but an extra pyramid in trans-pink is great. 

Bag 3

31324507610_a9c7e79cae.jpg

Bag three contents, everything we need for Lady Rainicorn and Princess Bubblegum. Eyes and a printed face, interesting parts include a tan coloured flag and many parts in shades of pink. There are four Unikitty tails in tan also, useful for sculptures and architectural detail. 

31581524681_57524e9064_c.jpg

The finished build. Off scale of course, as PB does fly around on Lady. (Lady and Peebs is an excellent example of an episode). Princess Bubblegum looks lovely. Again, the character designs really do suit LEGO. Her crown is well done, the tile is a nice touch too. A few more expressions would have been good, PB has a wide range after all.

31581530731_713fc844cf_c.jpg

A better look at Lady, made pose-able from clips and bars, using the new rounded 1x1 plates with bar, you can arrange the legs a little too. The all important rainbow stripes are well done. All in all, she's a great little build. 

30855317524_ddcb5b8218_n.jpg

Spares, just little parts again.

Bonus Round!

30855460754_f94ec211a4.jpg

"We're Fighting a Dragon!!!" (Creator 31032 Red Creatures not included in the Ideas set)

Conclusion

Overall, this is an excellent set. It was great fun to play with. After I had built them, there was lots of playing to be done. The characters are fun to pose and display. Great to play with and the simplistic design means there are many additions one can make to accessories the characters. I give it a 10 out of 10, top marks A+ (and others of that like.) This set was completely Algebraic! If you are an Adventure Time fan or have a fan in your life this set is a great buy.

Thanks to TLG and Eurobricks for this chance to get my hands on this great Ideas Set. 

:sweet: .

Meh. It's a neat set, but probably one of the most bland Ideas ones we've gotten. The grey joints detract from the color schemes, and Finn's face is too wide. Other than that it's alright and I'll likely buy it because I absolutely love the cartoon.

This is not the best LEGO Ideas set (by far) but at least this shows they are open to different kinds of sets

11 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

Meh. It's a neat set, but probably one of the most bland Ideas ones we've gotten. The grey joints detract from the color schemes, and Finn's face is too wide. Other than that it's alright and I'll likely buy it because I absolutely love the cartoon.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree 100 percent.

the grey joints ruined this set, might pick it up when it goes on clearance, but even then probably not...

While the grey joints are a bit unfortunate, they don't bother me too much. I'm more annoyed that the legs don't have any articulation. I also second the wide face on Finn - I wish they'd used a white brick with the face printed on it (though then again, the flesh brick would allow to built a hatless Finn).

Regardless, these figures look pretty neat. I'm not sure if I will buy these, as I'm not the biggest Adventure Time fan (I like the show, but I haven't watched it in ages), but the parts assortment is solid and I like the idea behind them (brick-built actionfigures)

The ubiquitous weekday afternoon cartoon for confirmed hipster burnouts. The fact that this got made and the Sherlock set was dumped on tells me all about the "good people" managing the approval process over at Lego Ideas. In fact, I have a good idea about where they can collectively go.

No thank you.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

22 minutes ago, ProvenceTristram said:

The ubiquitous weekday afternoon cartoon for confirmed hipster burnouts. The fact that this got made and the Sherlock set was dumped on tells me all about the "good people" managing the approval process over at Lego Ideas. In fact, I have a good idea about where they can collectively go.

No thank you.

That their job is making toys for children, and a cartoon adventure series is just a better fit for that than an adult mystery series that focuses heavily on murder?

Jeez, the whiners are out in full force for this review. For my part, I'm not really a fan of Adventure Time, but this seems like a decent little set for fans of the show. It's a fairly good adaptation of the original proposal, as well (with some figures like Princess Bubblegum and the penguin arguably improved). Unless I do get interested in Adventure Time I probably won't have much interest in this set, and there are certainly no small number of projects I would have preferred that have failed review. But you won't see me complaining about this set's mere existence because I'm a mature adult who recognizes that the world doesn't revolve solely around myself and my interests.

Eh, I'm not a hipster burnout. I totally agree that it is a set for the fans of the show. A lot of LEGO Ideas sets seem to head for the "collector" market. Trying to grab someone who wants a neat toy of something they already like. If one is deemed more appealing than another, then it will be made into a set. 

Thanks for the review! This is a unique and imaginative set that makes great use of brightly-colored basic bricks to recreate the show's iconic characters. I'm not an Adventure Time fan, but it's a good fit for the LEGO spirit of imagination. And perhaps if this sells well it might pave the way for other sets inspired by modern cartoons. I'd love a set of LEGO Steven Universe figures (whether as minifigs, brick-built figures, or some other format).

There will always be people who think being judgmental snobs gives them the right to lash out at fans of sets and Ideas projects they don't care for. Perhaps after enough disappointments they'll learn some perspective. The LEGO Ideas team has done a great job delivering widely beloved sets, even if they haven't all been my cup of tea, and I'm glad to see that continue!

Edited by Aanchir

Cheers for taking the time to put up this review; always nice to read about these new sets.

To be honest, this set is, well, weird. No idea where LEGO's going with this one.
It's original but I am not a fan, let's put it that way. Then again, I can imagine other people are, and fair play to them.
It all adds to the diversity, and that's a good thing!

23 hours ago, Lyichir said:

That their job is making toys for children, and a cartoon adventure series is just a better fit for that than an adult mystery series that focuses heavily on murder?

where is the clapping and bowing emoticon when I need one? 

Kids, it is about the kids. That is what LEGO does. Toys. It is not about AFOLs. How often is this forgotten or overlooked. Thank you for reminding those who forget.