CM4Sci

Architecture 2017

Tragic Banjo (According to some Google searching on my end) has changed his picture to "Jean Baptiste Point DuSable".

I know little of Chicago History, or Jean himself, but more Googling uncovered that Jean was some founder of the city or something? A Chicago citizen or history buff can correct me on that.

The point is, I think there are some landmarks bearing his name. Such as "DuSable Bridge" or something.

Just a thought based on Tragic Banjo's all-knowing picture.

Tragic Banjo's profile pic is Jean Baptiste Point du Sable

That guy was the first permanent resident of.... Chicago

:laugh:

Crap. I just saw this. I Googled for nothing.

The Bridge could still be a bit of new information...

Edited by Actor Builder

Next year they finish Lego house in Billund, will be there better architecture set?

Next year they finish Lego house in Billund, will be there better architecture set?

I remember reading a large creator set was going to be made when the building was complete.

If TLG can pull off the Coathanger (as us Aussies like to call the Sydney Harbor Bridge) in LEGO, count me in for the Sydney skyline set. Heck, I will probably consider it anyway just because its Aussie and one of the few LEGO sets that can be considered as such (I think the only other Aussie sets TLG have done are the 2 Opera House sets, both of which I own)

That's a good idea!

ht_guggenheim_abu_dubai_090520_mn.jpg

The Guggenheim Bilbao is very curvy and it would be very challenging to achieve that look in Lego, whereas the Guggengeim Abu Dhabi looks blocky so a much more likely candidate.

I recall seeing the same thing, this one with actual color on the roof like the house, etc. Likely a nice sized build. I am ok with the skylines and Guggenheim, but hope they don't stop there, we did get 3 skyline this year, the Burj, the Capitol and Buck Palace...so hopefully there is still another set or two to come out in later 2017. As for Chicago, we have Hancock and Willis that came out, would be fun to see Wrigley building and maybe they will somehow cleverly do Wrigley Field as well.

As for other US skyline, SF is worth, wonder if

they would ever do LA or Dallas?

The skylines this time are so much better than this year's. Sorry if I end up not getting these right, I don't know many landmarks! Looking them up as I type :tongue:

21302 Sydney - Sydney Tower, Deutsche Bank Place, Sydney Harbor Bridge, Sydney Opera House in front

21303 Chicago - CNA Center, Willis Tower, Well Street Bridge, Wrigley Building, John Hancock Center

21034 London - Big Ben, London Bridge, Nelson's Column, St. Paul's Cathedral, London Eye in back (giant!)

21305 Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum - Similar to the old one, the tan building is made out of 1x1 smooth tiles. It's a lot rounder and bigger this time, no dishes used. There's two yellow cars and a sand green roof, so more color.

Thanks for the descriptions. Are the skyline sets bigger this time?

About the same size, but they're not just straight lines, some of them are in front or in back.

Ok, makes sense.

They should make one huge skyline set with 4000+ pieces in form of a D2C Architecture set. That would be amazing!

For the Chicago set. I understand trump is a touchy topic especially right now.

But from an architecture stand point. It's the 2nd tallest tower in Chicago. You have to put it.

The CNA center is a red box

Many other better choices.

How detailed is the Well Street Bridge? That has to be hard to make it detailed at that scale.

They should make one huge skyline set with 4000+ pieces in form of a D2C Architecture set. That would be amazing!

They should do that for a very technique-needed building, like the St. Louis Arch, maybe with a little court house.

"Second place is the first loser. Sad!"

:laugh:

There are so many iconic places in Chicago that aren't big red boxes and aren't the Trump Tower... the Chase Tower, for one, the Water Tower, the Drake, Marina City. Kind of a bummer to have the CNA center in the skyline.

Yeah, frankly I'm most surprised that Marina City isn't in there, and I'm disappointed but not surprised that there aren't any original Chicago School buildings like Monadnock or Chicago Savings Bank. But I knew there was never any way I'd be completely satisfied with the set unless it consisted of about two dozen different buildings. At least a red box will make for a nice color contrast, I guess? :tongue:

Not sure I like this new format, but for me, seeing Wrigley building is in Chicago Skyline, that is good news, would have enjoyed Marina as well, and maybe throw in the Buckingham Fountain and the Bean, still hard to do them all and this is a good set, sure something might be better than the red box, but let's see what it looks like.  Sydney sounds really nice, so does London and the Guggenheim being better is good too, thanks for the info.

Edited by Herky

There is a leaked picture of Chicago Skyline in Lego Reddit.

The set looks worse than I expected, in my humble opinion-

Edited by Kaanere

I must say the Hancock tower and St. Paul's seem the weakest links in their respective skylines... something about the grille tiles.

5 hours ago, jamesn said:

I must say the Hancock tower and St. Paul's seem the weakest links in their respective skylines... something about the grille tiles.

I honestly think that the grille tiles look great with the Hancock tower. It's honestly the only way they could've gotten the small windows on the building without it looking weird with 1x1 or whatever.

The Sydney skyline is definitely my favorite of the three ... followed by London and Chicago is awesome too! Next year I'm hoping for San Francisco!

18 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

I honestly think that the grille tiles look great with the Hancock tower. It's honestly the only way they could've gotten the small windows on the building without it looking weird with 1x1 or whatever.

It obviously comes down to our aesthetic priorities - you think the windows are important, whereas I find the diagonal braces more characteristic of this building. I suppose the vertical portions of the structure might be what the grille tiles represent, but still - the diagonal braces on the Hancock center are unique in Chicago's skyline.