Bricktrix

MOC: BR 08 shunter Power functions

gallery_8966_241_3924.png gallery_8966_235_3881.png

As models are now starting to get finished for a show in a few weeks time, thought I'd share them here.

This is my first model using Power Functions. Its been made to allow quick easy access to everything needed and despite in theory the fact the rods "should" throw themselves off after a minute or so of running, they dont! No idea why but its been working fine. I suppose any real problems will arrise at its first public event, as Murphy's law states thats when they always happen!

1a.jpg

I'm still undecided about the rod colour, hence a rough red sticker is covering one until I make a final choice.

Link to Flickr set and more details:

nice class 8, one of the better ones i have seen around. would like a lxf for it :-)

The body is very nice, but I think the wheels are a little too close together... the spacing on the blue unit looks a little more accurate.

Great looking loco, Carl.

I've been waiting to see how you'd tackle the challenge of using a PF based motorization, and the result is certainly spectacular. I fear it must be (too) fast when using a train motor plus wheels greater than std...??

Edited by Selander

Thank you all :classic:

Yes the wheel spacing is too close, but I set myself a challenge to build something around the PFstuff I already had, this is the result. My previous BR blue one has the more correct wheel spacing and I'll probably end up doing another PF version at some point using a med PF motor which will also allow for correct spacing.

Benn, do you produce coloured rods? i.e. would it be possible to fabricate a red version of the old 12v rods, or a custom job with connections that would fit the cams pictured?

Hi Carl,

Red is one of the few colors I can do, but it is also the most variable. I've made four red fabs. The first three had a good color match (the surface was matte, as expected, but similar to some lego bars). The most recent red fab came out a little too pink for my tastes. So it is hit and miss with red. Meanwhile, gray and black have been consistent color throughout all of my fabs.

I don't think I have the tolerance to fabricate pins. I could certainly capture the look of 12v rods or use the even thinner valve gear style if the normal rods are too heavy for this model. As long as you aren't against modifying the occasional lego piece (grin), t fit the cams the best solution I have tested so far is to cut the head off of a towball, 2736,

2736.gif

as done on the eccentric here.

Another great example of the class 8 shunter. We seem to be getting quite a lot of them now and all are good. Shunter building seems to be getting quite an art! I guess lots of us like these little engines as well as the great big ones, they certainly have as much character.

you are just amazing when it comes to building trains :)

What show will you be displaying your work at? I am curious because I live in the UK but there seems to be no UK-LUG, it would be nice to see someone else's Lego trains 'in the brick' and yours are definitely some of the very best. Do you attend the Swindon rail meet, I have been told of people displaying Lego train stuff there too.