TotallyNewLegoFan

An Open Letter to LEGO: Keep Doing EXCLUSIVES at San Diego Comic Con

Why can't LEGO or any other company or person make original and interesting exclusive products once in a while?

This would make more sense if what we were talking about here was in fact actual product, which it isn't. In fact a reasonable case can be made that the existence of the con Minifigs is damaging to Legos brand and their product.

The fact that you are railing about their distribution methods as being "possibly illegal" shows that you have no idea what the items in question actually are, where or how they come about, or what Legos obligations regarding them are (here's a hint, none whatsoever). These are Marketing fluff, not product. The fact that you are willing to even think that there is something illegal about how Lego distributes trade show tchotchkes is a sure sign that the marketing scheme is far more damaging to the brand then it is beneficial.

I'm actually getting rather tired of this argument, and I see too many new users somehow managing to get every other post in these new threads, and it makes me wonder.

I would not sign a petition to LEGO either way. You all need to face facts - something I learned a long time ago - TLG does not care about you. They don't care if you don't get to collect every figure ever made (even limiting to a theme). They simply don't. If they cared about you, then the people that bought the most Star Wars LEGO would get Chrome Darth Vaders instead of random people... they didn't care about collectors then, they don't care now - they just wanted to sell more sets. So at the same time they don't care that you didn't get a figure, they also don't care if you have a figure you think is rare and the release it to the general public, decimating the "value" of your $0.20 of plastic.

You could have bought $1 Million worth of Star Wars LEGO, and not gotten a gold C3PO; and nobody but George Lucas got George Lucas.

Both sides of this argument are WRONG if they think TLG gives a flying leap about your minifigure collection... they are in the business of making money selling sets, the more the better. If they think they can help that business by giving away exclusives, that's what they're going to do. Their market of 7 to 12 year olds doesn't even know they're missing anything at some convention.

Instead of an absolute exclusive, I think a good compromise would be "exclusive for a certain period." For example, they could promise not to release the minifigure to the general public for a minimum of two years or whatever - just as long as they make this clear from the beginning.

I could definitely get behind this. It gives the Con attenders something to brag about, for a few years, and then the average person gets a chance to get it.

Of course, the problem then is that LEGO would have to release it in a set in two years for it to work to full efficiency. Otherwise, we end up with a bunch of figs that LEGO "Can technically release, but we don't really have a reason to.".

I agree that this is a very reasonable compromise (one which I have suggested before), but am happy to see more support behind this.

The one issue which is being alluded to by Lind Whisperer is one of timing, logistics and even IP. What happens if the release comes out and then after the time lapse, the IP runs out? I suppose you could have the time release already written into the IP contract...

Not at all, it seems the Red Rocket Raccoon is actually very essential. Not considering you payed attention at all if you did watch the movie. It looks bad having the team all suited up and then just the casual Rocket. I could totally be fine if the Red Rocket Raccoon was in the SDCC set as long as we got the normal Gamora and Drax with the Milano. As that would've been WAY MORE movie accurate of a set. The battle against Ronan never even moved into the open space. I don't understand why they did that anyways. But assuming you did pay attention in the cinemas you would've understood my reasoning. Seeing it is pretty much one if not the biggest movie of 2014.

Yes, this is a fantastic point.

If anything the SDCC variant should have been the casual Rocket -- (or a completely different uni / outfit). If they had done it this way (i.e. had a completely unique outfit for the SDCC variant) then it would have been possible to collect the entire GotG team members with the same outfit available in the regularly released sets.

But as it stands now, the only way to get the matching Rocket is to get the SDCC variant. This is not the way. It's yet another frustration with the current SDCC system.

Edited by agoodfella

This would make more sense if what we were talking about here was in fact actual product, which it isn't. In fact a reasonable case can be made that the existence of the con Minifigs is damaging to Legos brand and their product.

The word "product" has more than one definition. One definition of "product" is: a thing produced by labor. The LEGO minfigs are created for a give away/contest for promotion/marketing purposes and do not have to be "sold" to qualify as product. They are products.

The fact that you are railing about their distribution methods as being "possibly illegal" shows that you have no idea what the items in question actually are, where or how they come about, or what Legos obligations regarding them are (here's a hint, none whatsoever). These are Marketing fluff, not product.

Nonsense. I am not "railing" about anything. Just giving my view on a topic. Also, you have "no idea" regarding what I "know" and "do not know". Your putting spin on terminology used in my thread and other people's comments in other threads is pointless and serves no propose other than to try and unsuccessfully deflect what the average person fully comprehends we are talking about.

Additionally, repeating what you consider "not product" over and over does not make your statement any more accurate.

I do agree with you that LEGO has no obligation to anyone, other than to LEGO and its shareholders. That's pretty obvious. However, advertising a contest/promotion/give away (free or otherwise), with rules/statements included in the fine print, do have to abide by multiple state laws. Can LEGO or anyone else basically say how their contest/promotion is run? Yes, but they do have to adhere to those laws.

To be fair, lets say LEGO does not have to adhere to any laws governing giveaways/contests. To clarify, the minifig "promotion" was a contest and not something just handed out to everyone who walked by LEGO until they ran out. LEGO employees scanned your badge and you had an approximately 50/50 chance to "win" said figure. I would imagine that most companies, including LEGO, care about their reputation with their public/customer base. That in and of itself is reason for LEGO to adhere to rules it lists, as well as statements it makes publicly regarding contests and or sales of items. If you read my entire "Open Letter to LEGO", you would have realized I also mentioned the three exclusive, limited edition sets they were selling as part of my comments. Not that I believe there should a difference in behaving ethically and decently regarding customers depending on whether the company is running a contest or selling an item.

Either way, there are points and feelings on both side, pro and con, concerning limited editions/exclusives at Comic Con. I don't believe however that those with differing views should attack or insult each other for their feelings, interpretations, or observations. :def_shrug:

I'm actually getting rather tired of this argument, and I see too many new users somehow managing to get every other post in these new threads, and it makes me wonder.

Makes you wonder what?

TLG does not care about you. They don't care if you don't get to collect every figure ever made (even limiting to a theme). They simply don't.....they just wanted to sell more sets......

You could have bought $1 Million worth of Star Wars LEGO, and not gotten a gold C3PO; and nobody but George Lucas got George Lucas.

Both sides of this argument are WRONG if they think TLG gives a flying leap about your minifigure collection... they are in the business of making money selling sets, the more the better. If they think they can help that business by giving away exclusives, that's what they're going to do. Their market of 7 to 12 year olds doesn't even know they're missing anything at some convention.

Sadly, most of what you said is true. Though you would think that all companies would care about their customer base, because as you said, it is about profit.

What if Comic Con isn't held in your country? The solution doesn't work.

Your logic is invalid.

Seriously though this is a great point. Indeed, this does not work.

This system of distribution was extremely fair on at least five levels:

1) Everyone has the opportunity and choice to attend Comic Con which makes the chance of purchasing or winning an exclusive minifig very fair. I thank you for that.

Patently False. Not "everyone" has the opportunity to attend Comic Con.

2) The fact that the SDCC Exclusive Minifigures never gets released into general circulation can mean more new, potential Lego customers and fans (myself being one) may be attracted to Lego on various levels. Releasing limited and exclusive products also gives people a chance at items that are not released later and may never see the light of day. Another great thing for fans of Lego and Lego the company.

3) The net effect is that the limited availability for your cool minifigures (already scarce to begin with) is to get more people interested in Lego and also make current Lego fans more excited. Great job!

4) This ends up rewarding the LEGO fans worldwide since anyone is free to attend the convention to possibly win a free, exclusive, and limited Lego creation just for attending the con and visiting the LEGO booth! Nice :wink: . Fans can also purchase the limited edition sets LEGO create each year.

5) For "completists" or collectors who wish to have every mini-figure of a certain line the choice is simple: 1) Attend Comic Con, have a great vacation, meet other old and new Lego fans, and have the opportunity to acquire something special you will always cherish.

No, it means they are alienating customers and fans every year.

Edited by agoodfella

I would not sign a petition to LEGO either way. You all need to face facts - something I learned a long time ago - TLG does not care about you. They don't care if you don't get to collect every figure ever made (even limiting to a theme). They simply don't. If they cared about you, then the people that bought the most Star Wars LEGO would get Chrome Darth Vaders instead of random people... they didn't care about collectors then, they don't care now - they just wanted to sell more sets. So at the same time they don't care that you didn't get a figure, they also don't care if you have a figure you think is rare and the release it to the general public, decimating the "value" of your $0.20 of plastic.

While I think this reads as more than a little bitter, it does accurately reflect how I feel about the situation. LEGO will think it is unfortunate that you are unable to stimulate your "gotta catch 'em all" gland, but ultimately they will just shrug and go on with their day.

I think you guy's need to all get together and bring along all your bricks. Then you can all build a bridge and get over it.

Well I'm on the pro exclusives side I guess.

My concern at the moment is that the fake makers are getting so good that the limited supply is not really going to be so limited in future. So I would request that lego puts more attention into somehow water marking the real figures or packing.

I have posted several reviews on the bootleg figures thread. I would note that the Decool Green Arrow and Phoenix (desirable figures mentioned earlier in this thread) are excellent and I can recommend them for anyone who wants the figure but does not want to pay high prices.

Well I'm on the pro exclusives side I guess.

My concern at the moment is that the fake makers are getting so good that the limited supply is not really going to be so limited in future. So I would request that lego puts more attention into somehow water marking the real figures or packing.

I have posted several reviews on the bootleg figures thread. I would note that the Decool Green Arrow and Phoenix (desirable figures mentioned earlier in this thread) are excellent and I can recommend them for anyone who wants the figure but does not want to pay high prices.

Yeah, the real irony is that the Chinese makers have taken advantage of huge pent up demand for SDCC figures that was created by artificially limited supply that was a result of TLG's own making.

Edited by agoodfella

TICKET DISTRIBUTION AT THE LEGO SALES BOOTH TO PURCHASE LIMITED EDITION and EXCLUSIVE LEGO SETS:

The only negative thing I experienced visiting the LEGO SALES Booth this, my first year at LEGO at SDCC, was the rude behavior and treatment by a few LEGO employees towards fans lined up each morning to purchase one of the three limited edition sets. Two employees. a young, thin, and tall Caucasian male, and a shorter, older heavier, and balding Caucasian male, were a bit condescending and callous which was uncalled for. I waited on line both Saturday and Sunday and the LEGO Sales Booth was run horribly. I was about number 60 or 70 in line and was assured one ticket of each LE set as LEGO advertised they were handing out to 200-250 people per day of the convention. After standing in line at the LEGO Booth for about 15 min someone at LEGO decided to REVERSE THE LINE, making the back the front and the front the back. This made me over number 200 in line and I got no tickets to purchase my sets. NOT RIGHT OR ETHICAL LEGO. On Sunday I was on line even earlier outside waiting to get in and was about number 40 in line at the LEGO STORE BOOTH and LEGO STOPPED at about number 20-35 saying they "ran out of LE items to sell". This appears to be a LIE as LEGO ADVERTISED they were selling 200-250 sets PER DAY. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER STOCK?

Well life is unfair! :wink: .. even for those who afford to attend Comic Con :hmpf_bad:

Edited by mechamike

Ok - again a thread about this is detailing.

Think twice and then some about what your post contains! No personal accusations, troll behavior or assumptions on what others think.

Stay nice & on topic!

Hey, totallynewlegofan, props for bringing gasoline to a fire. Your post and the subsequent comments provided a lot of laughs as I drank my Starbucks cafe mocha this morning.

Again, thanks for the entertainment.

Dear LEGO Group,

I am a new fan of LEGO due to my recent attendance of the 2014 San Diego Comic Con and Lego having excellent limited edtion merchandise and minifigures.

I am writing to you regarding the SDCC Exclusive Minifigures. This "Exclusive" system attracted my attention to the amazing creations of Lego. I did not attend San Diego Comic Con 2014 because of Lego, but after seeing your exclusive limited edition items I became interested in Lego. Thank you for creating them :classic: .

This system of distribution was extremely fair on at least five levels:

1) Everyone has the opportunity and choice to attend Comic Con which makes the chance of purchasing or winning an exclusive minifig very fair. I thank you for that.

2) The fact that the SDCC Exclusive Minifigures never gets released into general circulation can mean more new, potential Lego customers and fans (myself being one) may be attracted to Lego on various levels. Releasing limited and exclusive products also gives people a chance at items that are not released later and may never see the light of day. Another great thing for fans of Lego and Lego the company.

3) The net effect is that the limited availability for your cool minifigures (already scarce to begin with) is to get more people interested in Lego and also make current Lego fans more excited. Great job!

4) This ends up rewarding the LEGO fans worldwide since anyone is free to attend the convention to possibly win a free, exclusive, and limited Lego creation just for attending the con and visiting the LEGO booth! Nice :wink: . Fans can also purchase the limited edition sets LEGO create each year.

5) For "completists" or collectors who wish to have every mini-figure of a certain line the choice is simple: 1) Attend Comic Con, have a great vacation, meet other old and new Lego fans, and have the opportunity to acquire something special you will always cherish.

SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS

1) Make your limited editions and exclusives a bit more limited and actually exclusive in that they are different from any figure released possibly later to the general public. That way, they are truly special and attract people to your booth during the convention.

2) NEVER rotate all of these minifigures into general circulation through future sets (even if it 1 or 2 years down the road). Doing this will not only upset true the collecting AFOL (Adult Fans of Lego) who spend a lot of money on collectible Lego, it may also prevent new AFOL who only collect rare and limited figures form even bothering visiting your LEGO booth. Also, releasing limited, and exclusive items later on to the general public is fraudulent as they would no longer be special, limited, and exclusive as advertised by LEGO, which could further alienate collectors.

3) In addition to 2), perhaps TLG can offer (in due time -- or even alongside the events) the minifigures in a limited pre- sale with only a certain amount available for purchase.. As some of the replies have suggested on various LEGO fan forums, many companies offer Limited edition, and exclusive SDCC items via a limited pre-order.

[FINAL THOUGHTS]

My main message to the LEGO Group is simply this: currently, the SDCC "Exclusive" system has left a lot of your loyal and new customers feeling "excited" and even more interested in the Lego brand. However LEGO does need to SERIOUSLY IMPROVE in one subject:

TICKET DISTRIBUTION AT THE LEGO SALES BOOTH TO PURCHASE LIMITED EDITION and EXCLUSIVE LEGO SETS:

The only negative thing I experienced visiting the LEGO SALES Booth this, my first year at LEGO at SDCC, was the rude behavior and treatment by a few LEGO employees towards fans lined up each morning to purchase one of the three limited edition sets. Two employees. a young, thin, and tall Caucasian male, and a shorter, older heavier, and balding Caucasian male, were a bit condescending and callous which was uncalled for. I waited on line both Saturday and Sunday and the LEGO Sales Booth was run horribly. I was about number 60 or 70 in line and was assured one ticket of each LE set as LEGO advertised they were handing out to 200-250 people per day of the convention. After standing in line at the LEGO Booth for about 15 min someone at LEGO decided to REVERSE THE LINE, making the back the front and the front the back. This made me over number 200 in line and I got no tickets to purchase my sets. NOT RIGHT OR ETHICAL LEGO. On Sunday I was on line even earlier outside waiting to get in and was about number 40 in line at the LEGO STORE BOOTH and LEGO STOPPED at about number 20-35 saying they "ran out of LE items to sell". This appears to be a LIE as LEGO ADVERTISED they were selling 200-250 sets PER DAY. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER STOCK?

Other than the above inexcusable and dishonest behavior by LEGO I think doing Exclusive. Limited editions is a great idea and hope LEGO continues to do so. If they didn't why even bother spending money, time, and hours on line for something anyone can buy anytime?

Thank you for listening.

From a new LEGO fan.

SMH, eye roll, face palm and whatever else. This can't be real.

Out of curiosity, how many of these threads are you planning on making?

Probably at least one for every time you reference YOUR thread in a topic where it isn't warranted.

That said, this is pretty cruddy reasoning throughout, and clearly just a way to make agf mad at you. I'd be surprised if the mods don't lock or merge.

Hey, totallynewlegofan, props for bringing gasoline to a fire. Your post and the subsequent comments provided a lot of laughs as I drank my Starbucks cafe mocha this morning.

I wasn't aware my posting (an invited posting by a mod to start my own "pro exclusive" thread) opinion and experiences was "gasoline" or "entertainment". It is interesting you did not add anything to the discussion however, which to me, more represents "bringing gasoline to a fire".

Probably at least one for every time you reference YOUR thread in a topic where it isn't warranted.

That said, this is pretty cruddy reasoning throughout, and clearly just a way to make agf mad at you. I'd be surprised if the mods don't lock or merge.

Thank you for your input RM, however I don't see how attacking my views on the subject adds to it.

You don't have to agree with why someone believes exclusives can be a good thing. Calling the examples given "cruddy", doesn't appear to be a constructive way of sharing why you agree or not agree with the reasons stated. I'd also like you to know I could care less if agf is mad at me or not. I don't know him and could care less.

SMH, eye roll, face palm and whatever else. This can't be real.

SG. My experiences with LEGO at SDCC were/are real. Some people may have had similar experiences others not.

Lets try to stick to the subject matter of this thread in a mature, adult way. I'm surprised how difficult that is for some of you.

Gee, just when you think it couldn't get any more amusing....IT DOES.

But, seriously, it is good, free entertainment.

What a hoot!

Hey, rollermonkey, he says he 'could care less' about something you posted. Ask how much less he could care. But, please be mature and adult about it.

Gee, just when you think it couldn't get any more amusing....IT DOES.

But, seriously, it is good, free entertainment.

What a hoot!

Hey, rollermonkey, he says he 'could care less' about something you posted. Ask how much less he could care. But, please be mature and adult about it.

Do your parents know you are using their PC? . :wink:

I've been warned by a moderator want to be to stop making flippant posts. I apologize that I did not recognize the seriousness of this discussion.

Out

Edited by Off the wall

You don't have to agree with why someone believes exclusives can be a good thing. Calling the examples given "cruddy", doesn't appear to be a constructive way of sharing why you agree or not agree with the reasons stated. I'd also like you to know I could care less if agf is mad at me or not. I don't know him and could care less.

The reasoning is 'cruddy' because you basically went through agf's 'Open Letter' and said the exact opposite of what he did. You don't agree with him, fantastic. I think you're just baiting him. He brings his opinion on the matter into places it isn't warranted, absolutely, and I made it clear that I feel that way. That doesn't mean that your approach is any better, or more mature.

Moving on.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I'm dissapointed. Just a few days ago you both agreed to take it a bit more easy. 1, 2.

And now this.

@ TotalyNewLegofan. Why did you have to make a pretty much excact copy of AGF's post? Unimaginative, and uncessary teasing AGF.

@ AGoodFellow. I thought we agreed that you steer clear of TNLF. Why did you have to enter thist topic at all?

CopMike is on vacation, so until he returns, I'm closing this topic, as well as AGoodFellows. Either of them doesn't really add anything more at this moment. All arguments have been put on the table.

Please refrain from starting any new topics about this for now.

Last chance for everybody to express their thoughts in a non-abusive, looking-for-a-fight way or troll behavior!

While I think this reads as more than a little bitter, it does accurately reflect how I feel about the situation. LEGO will think it is unfortunate that you are unable to stimulate your "gotta catch 'em all" gland, but ultimately they will just shrug and go on with their day.

I wasn't going for bitter, more like annoyed. I am not a completist, but I am a Star Wars OT fan, and getting an interesting OT figure like Chrome Vader would have been awesome. It's disappointing to me that I could spend hundreds or thousands on Star Wars OT sets and not get one, while some grandparent buys a Star Wars set for their grandchild who neither likes LEGO nor Star Wars, gets this "rare" figure, and slaps it together (putting the cape on wrong!) and then tossing it aside for the dog to chew on.

But then I wondered what a representative from TLG would say when "confronted" with my "dilemma," and it went something like "I'm sorry you're disappointed, but why should you get one just because you have more disposable income? We made the distribution fair, everybody had an equal chance to get one... and honestly, it was a marketing strategy to sell more LEGO sets, and it worked."

And I couldn't think of a valid counter.

Turn around to the Comic Con figures, and it's completely different... the people that get them are either advantaged geographically or economically. Not everybody has a fair chance at getting one. And I highly doubt they help sell a single set... the people that want the Superhero sets will buy the Superhero sets; only a tiny fraction of fans get the exclusives - many of them solely to resell. It's actually completely the opposite of distributing them randomly in sets. I don't know why they even bother unless they are obligated to in order to participate in a Comic Con, at which point us complaining about it is pretty meaningless, as their hands are tied. I honestly don't understand the purpose otherwise. So few people (relatively speaking) get to go to the convention; TLG announces and displays new and upcoming sets... the fans are already waiting for the announcements, they don't need a "gimme" to go see, and they will get press coverage with or without exclusives.

What TLG might actually accomplish is actually dissuading some people from wanting to buy every set to get every figure since they've already destroyed the chance of making that possible. Some might have wanted some esoteric figure just to have a complete set, and now that they know they cannot, they don't bother getting it at all. I imagine this is some tiny fringe group that is not TLG's target audience... so they don't care.

Edited by fred67