Why elevate the baseplates?

The baseplates aren't elevated, but the "base" of the MOC has been elevated with 1 brick.

This gives a few advantages; 1: the power required for the trains can be routed under then elevated base (see his pictures in first post) and he can make cool things like a plowed field / hole with exposed pipes (see his pictures in his last post) which are below the elevated base.

if he hadn't elevated the base of the whole moc, this all wouldn't be possible / very much more difficult.

This indeed the correct reason, we (this is part of a group layout so I am not the only builder) did decide that this was a height that gives opportunities in details without going way too high in brick counts

What are your thoughts on reddish brown, black, or dark brown tiles as ties? I've been experimenting with dark brown lately, but it's difficult to tell if reddish brown or dark brown has more of the realistic "washed out" look that I'm going for. From some angles, your track looks very realistic, and I think it also helps that it's the old 9v track, since most rails are only shiny on top with more of a grayish brown rusted appearance on the sides. I kind of regret selling my 9v track after seeing your layout.

Thank you

Here in the Netherlands the ideal colour for older tracks would be dark brown and light grey for newer concrete ties. Sadly there are no dark brown 1X1 tiles available :sceptic: , and black just doesn't look right.

[image link]

Looks fantastic! I'm enjoying every update.

Awesome build with real depth. Brilliant!

Thank you both :classic:

Your modular lay outs (and especially this last one) show one of the great advantages of working modular (I say this although I haven't ever tried my own hand at it!): the amount of detail possible. It would be virtually impossible to reach such a level of detail on a full-scale lay out. What you do in modular is wonderful, (the cables in the ground, for example!), but don't you ever miss the 'play value' of operating your trains on a bigger track system?

All the great detailing is readily apparent in this build. It clearly took a lot of time to achieve that look, but all the hard work really paid off. Keep it up.

Your modular lay outs (and especially this last one) show one of the great advantages of working modular (I say this although I haven't ever tried my own hand at it!): the amount of detail possible. It would be virtually impossible to reach such a level of detail on a full-scale lay out. What you do in modular is wonderful, (the cables in the ground, for example!), but don't you ever miss the 'play value' of operating your trains on a bigger track system?

Thanks, I indeed miss the play value a bit now, but this layout will be part of a group layout made together with a few other builders, then the play value will be back.

very nicely with the shades of the colors

All the great detailing is readily apparent in this build. It clearly took a lot of time to achieve that look, but all the hard work really paid off. Keep it up.

Thank you very much.

A small update, more probably coming this weekend.

14110998920_248ef26dab_c.jpg

Third progress shots by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

14111002988_c310fab7f1_c.jpg

Third progress shots by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

The building is supposed to be some kind of generator building.

The scale and details are amazing! :thumbup: Looking forward to the final product!

Though i haven't got any train collection yet, but i am very interested in getting myself 1 to start off. Now this just gives me more reason to do so. :grin:

Woah! Awesome! How'd you do those railroad tracks? I'm running low on my regular ones so I might be moving over to brick built and I want to make those so bad!

@BlackVagrant: Thank you very much.

@legonerd54321: Thanks, I have to disappoint you, the track is not brick built. It is based on this design. This means it is just regular track with more parts in between.

It has taken a while, but here is a new update:

There now is a cell tower on the layout.

16113343237_3b0f580ee7_c.jpg

Work in progress 5 by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

16299206435_c1dfaa7abb_c.jpg

16273276156_bfdd4d79a8_c.jpg

16113052799_4b7a4b96fd_c.jpg

Just 2 more modules and this part of the project is finished. (don't worry I have more plans than budget :classic: )

Comments, criticism and compliments are welcomed. :classic:

nice update the crossing over of track works really well

Thank you :classic:

Excellent cell tower 'UrbanErwin'......keep those updates coming and Brick On ! :grin:

Thanks, more updates are definitely planned! :classic:

Wow! I'm envious, lots of great detail and putting the building at an unconventional angle really has a nice effect.

Thank you for the compliments, your trains are something I'm envious about :wink:

Great project!

I see that you have changed plans from the outset?

Fantastic layout :classic:

Keep it coming!

Um, excuse me while i pick up my jaw from the floor.....

:wub_drool: :wub_drool: :wub_drool:

So many details, thats AMAZING!!

Thank you :classic:

Great project!

I see that you have changed plans from the outset?

Fantastic layout :classic:

Keep it coming!

Thanks, money became a big issue for the original plans so they were changed.

:classic:

Beautiful, awesome, amazing!

But... Are those tracks made of metal? (Sorry about my ignorance on the topic)

Super looking, UrbanErwin, I'm looking forward to coming sunday at the LOWLUG meeting. Completing with what we all have so far, must result in some more nice pictures, don't you think?

Beautiful, awesome, amazing!

But... Are those tracks made of metal? (Sorry about my ignorance on the topic)

Thank you, the track is regular 9v track like detjensrobert said.

Super looking, UrbanErwin, I'm looking forward to coming sunday at the LOWLUG meeting. Completing with what we all have so far, must result in some more nice pictures������, don't you think?

Thanks, the layout is packed and ready for sunday.

16447983250_0fdbfeb6d8_c.jpg

Packing by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

16016078023_fa32c02131_c.jpg

Packing by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

I know the topic was titled modular, but I wasn't expecting it to be broken down into sections that small and be compiled so tightly. It's fantastic! Absolutely brilliant, and the layout on top of the modules is again at another level. Excellent work Urban.

This topic when I first saw it is what pulled me from my years of lurking the technic fourm and onto the train theme.

I know the topic was titled modular, but I wasn't expecting it to be broken down into sections that small and be compiled so tightly. It's fantastic! Absolutely brilliant, and the layout on top of the modules is again at another level. Excellent work Urban.

This topic when I first saw it is what pulled me from my years of lurking the technic fourm and onto the train theme.

Thank you very much :blush:

Here are some pictures of the group layout: Link to more pictures

16670962756_cffe59e30c_c.jpg

Lowlug Meeting by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

16076961133_11a92946dc_c.jpg

16510764319_9c8cf441f6_c.jpg

I have some good and bad news:

The bad news first, my part, as seen here, will be taken apart.

The good news is, the parts will be used to build a new layout with even more detail, at least that the goal.

Edited by UrbanErwin

Wow! The group layout looks fantastic altogether.

I have some good and bad news:

The bad news first, my part, as seen here, will be taken apart.

The good news is, the parts will be used to build a new layout with even more detail, at least that the goal.

NOOOOoooooooooo! That is one of my favorite layouts... ah well, I'm sure the next incarnation will blow my socks off too.