Tom Jurassic

Should Lego cover the old Superhero films?

So this is something I have been wanting to ask you guys for a while. As I am sure you know, LEGO got the license a couple of years ago, but before then, Mega Bloks had the license, and covered Captain America and Iron Man.

So what I want to know is, do you guys think Lego should produce sets based on the older films now they have the license?

I don't think they should do entire sets based on the films but sprinkling in mini figs based on those movies looks would be great. The trouble here though is they would have to obtain the individual rights of those movies to produce them, at least that's how I think it works.

While I agree with Super Goblin, I would also say that the speed of super hero films is such that there will not be the time to go back to hit older movies with direct tie-ins. I think TLG is doing a good job now of hinting at Batman Returns with the latest Penguin set and the first Captain America movie with the latest Avengers set.

I like the movie version of some of the characters but not all of them. I prefer the comic version of the X-Men for example. But it was good getting the Dark Knight Rises set too.

I would love to see the likes of Malekith The Accursed, The Winter Soldier, Black coat nick fury, Agent Coulson, Maria Hill, Odin, Heimdal The destroyer, Obadiah Stane appearing at some point. The Videogame TDW Malekith design is begging to be made as is Odin.

I'm not really interested in anything from phase one but some thor 2 and cap 2 sets might be nice.

I can't really think of any reason why they should. Most of the interesting things from any of the DC or Marvel movies worth wanting LEGO stuff for have been covered in some form already, except for the Al Ghuls and Asgard. A "comic" set with a couple of the Avengers, Sif, and Malekith next year would be nice....

Edited by Super Fish Oil

Agent Coulson and black coat Nick Fury could easily be included in future sets based on Ultimate Spider-man, since they both play integral parts in the cartoon. Since they look completely like their MCU counterparts, and Coulson is even voiced by the same actor, it would be just like getting Movie Fury and Coulson.

Agent Coulson and black coat Nick Fury could easily be included in future sets based on Ultimate Spider-man, since they both play integral parts in the cartoon. Since they look completely like their MCU counterparts, and Coulson is even voiced by the same actor, it would be just like getting Movie Fury and Coulson.

I agree with this. I reckon we will eventually see more SHIELD in the form of their Ultimate Spider-Man counterparts. :classic:

I can't think of much in the older films thats worth going back to. Most have either already been covered or will appear again in future movies.

The only thing I really want to see is the Batmobile from Batman 89/Batman and a Michelle Phieffer Catwoman minifigure.

I agree with this. I reckon we will eventually see more SHIELD in the form of their Ultimate Spider-Man counterparts. :classic:

Although, if we get them before a White Tiger figure I'll be sorely disappointed in TLG. My daughter and I are both clamoring for her. As of right now, we have all the core members of the USM team aside from her, and I was doubly disappointed to see she wasn't even included in the LEGO Marvel Superheroes videogame. They even have the perfect piece for her ponytail, Aurra Sing's hair - they just need to color it black instead of reddish brown.

I was just thinking, though, that Coulson appears more often in tactical gear in Season 2 than he does in a suit, and that's most likely the version that would get produced at this point.

I would love to see the likes of Malekith The Accursed, The Winter Soldier, Black coat nick fury, Agent Coulson, Maria Hill, Odin, Heimdal The destroyer, Obadiah Stane appearing at some point. The Videogame TDW Malekith design is begging to be made as is Odin.

My thoughts exactly, plus a generic Dark Elf for army building. But if I had to pick only one, it would be Winter Soldier.

I was very sad when I discovered they weren't making TDW and TWS sets. I would have probably bought them all (Putting me back $150 :grin: ) However, one thing that they should try to do is make the sets accurate. The Avengers sets were decent and somewhat accurate to the movie, but the Iron Man 3 sets were awful! :wall: If they didn't make these sets accurate, I'd be up for exclusive minifigures or, better yet, a Lego Marvel Collectible Minifigure Series! I'd be all over that! :wub_drool:

I can't think of much in the older films thats worth going back to. Most have either already been covered or will appear again in future movies.

The only thing I really want to see is the Batmobile from Batman 89/Batman and a Michelle Phieffer Catwoman minifigure.

From Marvel an Iron Monger and IM Mark 1 would be cool. From DC? A Keaton/Burton Batmobile. Otherwise everything else could easily be covered in more generic "non movie specific" sets. Something like Hulk smacking a HumVee or the recent Captain America or Spider-Man sets. I think Minifigs mostly look a little better when leaning more towards comic or animated costumes and colors.

Well, they went back and did older films for Harry Potter and as mentioned to some degree in the latest Batman sets, so I could see it perhaps happening, but in the future.

Marvel wise, It depends on how far back were looking at, I'd certainly discount the direct to video Cap films from some years back, the Daredevil film, the multitude of Punisher films, Electra, Howard the Duck, the other Nick Furry film, the Hulk films, and the Blade films due to popularity/market fit.

That's not saying I wouldn't want a Daredevil set or a classic Nick Furry, just not them versions.

Really that leaves the X-Men films, the Cap films, the first two Iron Man films, ASM, and the Thor films. I'd discount X-Men and ASM at least at the moment because they don't seem to have the licence plus, Lego seem really good at making sets related to them films but not from them, thus avoiding licence costs. I do, however, perhaps in 5-7 years, maybe less, maybe more, see a Thor V Destroyer and an Iron Man V Iron Monger sets based on those films.

I'm not too knowledgeable about DC, but like the Marvel films I could see sets based on the more popular Batman films. As for Superman? I'm not to sure, we've got Lex, twice, I don't see that side being too different than what we've got.

So I'm saying yes, as long as it's different to what we've got at the moment.

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

Actually I can't see why not ?

Lego produced sets to cover all the Indiana Jones films and of course.....there is Star Wars, so why not past Batman or similar films over the years.

No. Absolutely not. Early hero films are awful and I fear we'd end up with garbage like Nuclear Man or Richard Pryor choking out new releases on the shelves.

Well it'd be great to have a Meteor Man figure :tongue: . I don't know what license that falls under.

Either way, I can see them hinting at older figures/costumes in future sets, but I doubt they will ever directly brand a new set to fall under them. They need the direct movie tie-in to sell tlheir merchandise. The CEO or someone said so in an interview. That's why they have so many licensed themes. It sells. It keeps the company afloat. So if they are quitting LOTR because the movies are dying down, I don't see them giving us an older movie design/set of current heroes.

People keep saying they hinted at a 60s Batman set with the Defend the Batcave set, but if you actually look at the real people in costume vs the figure, they don't really look anything alike. You need an amalgam of Robins to make the 60s Robin.

Well while I'd love to see some sets based on older MCU films (Iron man, Incredible Hulk, Ect ) I would rather LEGO focus on the future. Especially with how jam packed the future will be.

In the next 5 years we will of had Avengers 2, cap 3, Iron man 4, Thor 3, guardians1 and 2 plus most likely Doctor strsnge, Antman and Avengers 3 and that's just Marvel. At DC we have MoS2, Justice League, Shazam, Metal men and all the other unannounced superhero films at DC. For me with all those films on the horizon I don't want to have to spend more cash to get LEGO based on films that at that point will be around 10 years old. Older films really only offer, variants of existing characters, new villains and a some secondary characters. Sure it would be cool to get older sets, and I would most propably buy a few but as it stands LEGO need to focus on the future.

We need more Captain America. The Hydra Tank from this year should have been based on Cap 1. At the very least there should be a way to get the different costumes for Cap and Iron Man. The MCU films would make for some great sets but with these tiny waves they really shoot themselves in the foot. Make 3 sets about IM3 and only one is in any way similar to the movie while Cap 2 would have made for at least 3 sets naturally.

It would be fun if we get some special line with a more limited release like UCS sets or the Architect line that has models based on specific movies that are a couple of decades old like Adam West Batman, Reeves Superman and the like.

But really, every problem would be solved if there were Super Heroes CMFs where you could get really specific old costume variations and unknown characters while the regular sets are for the current movie promotion. I can´t believe Lego can´t just do that when Mega Bloks already had this exact perfect plan half a decade ago.

Edited by Navy Trooper Fenson

I would really like them to make some MCU phase 2 sets. When I saw that Iron Man 3 was getting its own wave I hoped that Thor 2 and Cap 2 would also, but sadly they did not. Hopefully Lego decides to devote 3-4 sets to them in the near future. Both movies have some awesome minifigure opportunities, and with Thor they could make a large Asgard set to depict the attack from the movie