The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

34 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

All ideas approved! Considering how 2020 has gone and that we still haven't reached the asteroid, solar flare, extraterrestrial invasion or gamma ray burst months its not like we'll be around to see them anyway. :pir-huzzah2::cannon:

You really have a talent for hilarious comments! :roflmao::thumbup:

I'm expecting Avatar to pass at least. The show is legendary, has a very broad and active fanbase, and with almost 20 active Ideas projects it is evident that it is also popular among LEGO fans. Naruto is also a behemoth of a show, but I'm not sure about the overlap between its community and the LEGO community. That said, I would be very excited to see it pass, since it would be the first anime LEGO set! :sweet:

Seeing Barracuda Bay for classic pirates and the Medieval Blacksmith for classic castle, Brickwest Studios would be within the line of expectation to give us classic western (minus the controversies!). I know many fans are yearning for it!

Also, I think Starry Night is more likely than ever, with the 18+ and art lines.

Before even guessing, we shall see first what the hell they are going to do with Sesame Street and Winnie the Pooh regarding the new molds needed for both sets

But I wonder if there is a max of sets that can be approved at once from a single review. I'd be surprised if we get more than 4

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Before even guessing, we shall see first what the hell they are going to do with Sesame Street and Winnie the Pooh regarding the new molds needed for both sets

From what I remember none of the submissions had new parts right, so I assume they do nothing :tongue:

Lately the ideas results have become harder to guess and I have been way of, but here it goes:

1. The Mountain Windmill No, is it from a  popular game (if so maybe, but probably not)?

2. Community - Greendale Community College No, to specific

3. Lego HeroQuest No, has not Lego done something similar and ninjago is like a bordgame now as well

4. Brickwest Studios Maybe, pirates, caste and now western? However do not like the film aspect of the set even if it makes it more original, at least a good chance for some animals :shark:

5. House from Up No, have they not turned down several already?

6. Animal Crossing New Horizons: Nook's Cranny Maybe, since it is from a popular game

7. Trabant 601 No, it is a car and Lego already make those

8. Night At The Museum Maybe, is it from a film? Do not think that the film is popular enough, so probably no

9. Fast Food Corner No, modular

10. Avatar: The Last Airbender Maybe, but Lego already have had the license right?

11. Portal 2 - GLaDOS vs Chell and Wheatley No, Lego already have had the license I think

12. BMW M1 (E26) No another car

13. Caribbean Clipper No, they are probably making their own pirates sets

14. Sheriff's Safe with Combination Lock No, too specific, however they made the piano so a small maybe

15. 31 Minutos T.V. Studio No, what is this a Spanish TV show?

16. Southwest 737-800 No, they can make their own planes

17. Terry Pratchett's Discworld No, turned down before, but I like the books :classic:

18. Seasons In Time: Calendar Yes, seems original enough so a good chance I think

19. Exploratorium No, looks like something for their new platform instead

20. Hocus Pocus - Sanderson Sisters' Cottage No, the movie is not popular enough

21. Schitt's Creek: The Rosebud Motel No, never heard of the film, series etc

22. Gold Rush Mine Train Roller Coaster No, Lego can make their own

23. Vincent van Gogh: The Starry Night Maybe if the arts theme is selling well

24. The Fortress - Imperial Army No, pirates

25. Seagull Bay Lighthouse Imperial Fortress No, pirates

26. The Bakery No, another modular

27. Bangladesh National Parliament (Jatiyo Sangshad Bhaban) No, Lego makes their own architecture sets

28. LEGO Doggo Maybe, would probably made it a couple of year ago now I am not so sure

29. Zen Bonsai Maybe if it do not look to similar to Ninjago gardens

30. Naruto: Ichiraku Ramen Shop No, too close to Ninjago

31. Temple of Hermit No, to close to Ninjago

32. The Ocean House Maybe, good chance for some animals, going in the same bag as fishing store so possible

33. Medieval Market No, a castle set. A great set, but the designer should have put in more animals :monkey:

34. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout Course Maybe since it is a game I assume

35. Ratatouille: ReOpen The Doors! No, already got turned down

I am sure one of the licensed Ideas will get through. It would not surprise me if it was Community, as it is widely available on streaming services.

35, that's ludicrous. And vast majority of them I'm seeing for the first time! Ideas has gone crazy these past few months. It seems like getting to 10K is not a big deal anymore, you just need to either use a popular licence or make a large detailed building (bonus points if it can be both), then post on post on social media and just watch the votes coming :tongue: Quick comments on all of them, becuase I have nothing better to do, starting with the oldest:

• Trabant: that's a better looking model than Lego's Fiat! But it may be too niche of a car, not "cool" enough, plus large scale vehicles are taken by Creator/18+ theme, we haven't had a car in Ideas since Caterham. Chances are slim to none
  • Bangladesh National Parliamennt: Nice little model of a building nobody outside of its home country knows it exists. It would fail to find an audience in the west, plus it's just an architecture set. Chances are basically none

• Temple of Hermit: I voted on this one, it's a beautiful model and would love to see it made. Some say it may clash with upcoming Ninjago City Gardens but I disagree, there's quite a difference between traditional Japanese architecture and what Ninjago does (besides Temple of Airjitzu). We haven't had a set like this since the mentioned ToA, I'd say chances are decent

• Caribbean Clipper: it also had my vote, absolutely stunning ship! It's just so unfortunate that in its entire time of gathering support Pirate Bay has managed to reach 10k, be approved and put on shelves. If it weren't for that set, the Clipper would very likely be the one in its place. But now chances are slim to none.

• House from Up: I will always vote for Up until it's finally made, hopefully Lego will cave in someday. It's hard to tell the chances with projects already rejected, but they shouldn't be too low with a movie that well regarder.

• BMW: good models, but again it's just a large scale car, Lego already does them. chances are slim, but slightly better than Trabant's due to BMW's wider appeal.

• Bonsai: another one of my votes, love this Idea. I'm hoping Lego will someday do a tree with a full, realistic looking foliage, Treehouse's was decent but still not on par with some professional mocs. With TLG's recent venture into relaxing building (Forma, mosaics) targeted at adults, I'd say chances are pretty good.

• HeroQuest: I know some people would love a RPG board game translated into Lego, but I don't think it's a good idea at all. Not if the board is to be played with like a normal board game, which includes ability to pack it all in one box. I could be wrong though, hardcore RPG isn't really my thing. Chances are likely better than I think (which is poor)

• Portal 2: I'm a fan of the games, of course I'd love to have it. It's just a shame that portal mechanics/play features are physically impossible to translate into the real world, although with Lego's revenue they could invest in the technology :rofl: Somehow I don't think Portal (and other Dimensions licences) has a real chance, but it would be a nice surprise

• Sheriff's Safe: really like this one, cool little desk decoration and an actual (simple) locking mechanism should be doable. Hopefully one of the designers will see it as a challenge and make it happen. I'd say it's one of the strongest contenders here

• Doggos: pure cuteness, although the models in the project are a bit too similar to the small "Year of the (chinese zodiac animal)" sets in size and techniques. if Lego decides to approve it I think they should do something a bit different. Chances are decent, though.

• The Bakery: beautiful, but it's just a building, too similar to modulars and because of that its chances are mediocre at best. Can't deny though a 19th century city building in Lego form (especially with non modern minifigs) would be a dream come true.

• Exploratorium: great model, will never believe it's under 3K pieces, but that's not the point. Better chances than previous project thanks to its uniqueness, but If made Lego would very likely trim down its size and functions, potentially losing some of its greatness.

• Windmill: another fantastic build, kinda similar to Treehouse with "outdoor adventure" theme but still feels unique enough and it's just a grat design. Chances are decent

• The imperial fortress: it's so obvious it's a result of Barracuda Bay's popularity. Nice looking building with pirates nostalgia, that's it. Almost no chances

• Gold rush mine roller coaster: don't really like this one, but it could be just me not seeing the appeal of mines, regardless of the setting (Moria being obvious exception :tongue:). I don't see it being made, especially as it's clashing with Lego's own Fairground theme

• Seagull Bay: even more obvious Barracuda Bay wannabe. There's more substance and detail which makes me like it a bit more, but chances are still close to zero

• Southwest plane: excellent job. Ideas is the only platform (outside of Creator/18+) where something like this can be done, so unless Lego is already planning their own plane this project has a pretty good chance

• Calendar: another cool desktop accesory, very neatly done. I know I'd love to have it but also I'd be lazy and change the date maybe once month :innocent: I can see it being approved.

• Brickwest studios: fantastic project, very clever way of doing western theme by making it a film set. Would love to see it done, but it may not be feasible with how minifig heavy it would have to be.

• Fast food corner: I like it ok, although it's not as strong an entry as the bakery. Also a modular, chances are close to zero

• Animal Crossing: haven't played the game, probably never will, but judging by the popularity it could have the strongest chance out of licenced ideas

• Community: one of the best comedy shows out there, I would definitely like to have it. It maybe "too soon" as Seinfeld was just approved, but we thought the same about Seinfeld :innocent2:

• Discworld: I've never read Pratchett, but this design is definitely eye-catching. It was rejected once 7 years ago, but today Lego may be more daring. It wouldn't surprise me to see it approved.

• Ocean House: same deal as the windmill, "outdoor adventure in an exotic setting", with about equal chances; personally I like the windmill a bit more, although the ocean house would surely make for a great set as well

• 31 Minutos: same as the Bangladesh building, too regional, no wider recognition, no chance

• Night at the Museum: It's not hard to tell if people voted because they liked the movie or because they want Lego to finally make a museum set, not just exhibits (hint: it's the latter :tongue:). It may have a smaller chance due to double licence (movie and the museum, not really sure how licencing such a venue would work), but definitely wouldn't mind it being chosen

• Avatar: seems to be all the rage right now and would sell like hot cakes. Pretty strong chance if there will be no licencing issues.

• Naruto: another popular franchise, would find it's audience pretty easily. Wouldn't be surprised if approved

• Hocus Pocus: it may be the case of YMMV, but I don't think it's as popular IP as Home Alone; it could be populer as a semi Halloween themed set, though.

• Medieval market: already seeing Blacksmith wannabes? And a modular on top of that? No way it's gonna make it. Beautiful design, though

• Schitt's Creek: never seen it, but I'd like to someday. Probably about the same chance as other comedy show projects.

• Starry Night: may be the best of the bunch, such a fantastic Idea with even better execution surely has at least a good chance. But it needs to be done like the project, not simplified like the mosaics or, even worse, those sketches.

• Ratatuille 2 Or How I'm Goint To Pester Lego Until The End Of Time: we've had reuploads before, but never this fast! It could potentially break the Ideas even further: people will follow suit, start resubmitting failed projects, which should hit 10K no problem (people wlll vote for their favorite project, no matter if it's already been rejected) and suddenly half of ideas in review are ones that we've seen before, circulating wave after wave until they're all approved (or the rules change). Pretty interesting to see what comes of it.

• Fall Guys: never played it, probably will someday as my nephews want this game. Don't see it having very strong chances, as popular as it is I can't recall any Ideas sets based on current fads

Edited by BenderBrau

19 hours ago, Exetrius said:

You really have a talent for hilarious comments! :roflmao::thumbup:

Hah, I've never thought I was funny so I appriciate that. But making someone else smile or laugh, thats the real prize. :excited:

Honestly, I'm not impressed with a lot of these. Maybe I'm just jaded now after having bought the Treehouse and Barracuda Bay and absolutely loving them. Aside from the Pirates ones, I find a lot of these really really lackluster.

1. The Mountain Windmill It's not going to make it. It looks good. But I have no idea how it is 2000 pieces. It looks way less. It would look pretty next to the Treehouse though.

2. Community - Greendale Community College I think this will make it. It's a fairly loved show, but this build is incredibly unfinished. It's very similar to the Friends set in that it had studs showing, but that one at least had some interesting angles. This one just looks bare and unfinished.

3. Lego HeroQuest Not going to make it. It's an incredibly old IP that people might not be familiar with. If it was D&D, maybe it would have a chance. But LEGO's own boardgames didn't do too well.

4. Brickwest Studios As someone who works in the industry, I love it. I don't think it's going to be made, but it's very well done, and it's a creative way to get both westarn and studious back.

5. House from Up I think this one will be made since it's Disney and people still talk about the opening 10 minutes of the movie. If they do, they'll need to make a new mold for the character's heads. They're too iconic to be the normal minifigure. But this isn't the best rendition of the house, imo.

6. Animal Crossing New Horizons: Nook's Cranny I've never understood the appeal of Animal Crossing. This set looks bland to me.

7. Trabant 601 Not my type of set, but it looks really good. I can't see LEGO making it though because of their car line already.

8. Night At The Museum While a popular film for it's time, I can't see them making it. Although I want to say they're rebooting the series soon, so maybe it will work.

9. Fast Food Corner I like it, but it looks way too cramped for even a modular, and we have the modular line already

10. Avatar: The Last Airbender Somehow we never got an Appa set when LEGO was making ATLA. I wish we did. Maybe this one will happen. I don't think it will.

11. Portal 2 - GLaDOS vs Chell and Wheatley Does anyone talk about this series anymore? I never played them. I'd be more impressed if this used some motor functions. I don't think this will happen

12. BMW M1 (E26) Same problem as the Trabant

13. Caribbean Clipper I wish this one would happen, but maybe LEGO is going into development with Pirates on their own. It's just also very dark, and it's basically Barracuda without an island or additional things.

14. Sheriff's Safe with Combination Lock I don't think it will happen, but they did make the piano. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, but I don't expect it to happen.

15. 31 Minutos T.V. Studio A show that doesn't really have a big following? No way. Incredibly bare as well. I'd rather have a Muppets set.

16. Southwest 737-800 Has LEGO ever done specific airlines? I could see a plane from the manufacturer, but airlines? Nah.

17. Terry Pratchett's Discworld I've not read the books, but I know about the turtle world thing. It looks very good, but I think the market is so niche on this one, even if it is a beloved series, it's not going to happen.

18. Seasons In Time: Calendar Not my thing, but I think this one has a good chance.

19. Exploratorium No, too specific in that it looks like it's trying to launch a theme. It would probably be better fitted for LEGO Worlds.

20. Hocus Pocus - Sanderson Sisters' Cottage It's well made, but I don't think it will happen. I could be wrong though.

21. Schitt's Creek: The Rosebud Motel Nope. There's no way LEGO is going to touch this one with a ten foot pole. Just the name alone would be a massive issue. Also, the set suffers from the same problem as Community. It's bland.

22. Gold Rush Mine Train Roller Coaster I like it, but it overlaps with the park attractions line, and those have always been, aside from the Haunted House, pretty non-themed. Who knows though. I'd also prefer a log flume.

23. Vincent van Gogh: The Starry Night I think this one has a good chance of being made.

24. The Fortress - Imperial Army I like it, but it's lacking something. A ship.

25. Seagull Bay Lighthouse Imperial Fortress Same problem as the other pirates ones. But maybe this will tell LEGO, if they're not already working on a line, to do Pirates again.

26. The Bakery I really like it, but it's another modular and doesn't fit with LEGO's modulars currently.

27. Bangladesh National Parliament (Jatiyo Sangshad Bhaban) I could see another Architecture set being made, but this building doesn't scream iconic to me.

28. LEGO Doggo I can see this one being made.

29. Zen Bonsai Absolutely can see this one being made. Very much a display piece and an "adult" thing.

30. Naruto: Ichiraku Ramen Shop I'm not impressed, but I've also never liked Naruto.

31. Temple of Hermit Just make this a Ninjago set and pay the creator for it. I can't see this as Ideas.

32. The Ocean House Eh. Could work with The old Fishing Store, but this one needs a back. Maybe.

33. Medieval Market I love castle and want another line. i could see this one happening, but it feels so cramped and cluttered.

34. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout Course What? I'm sorry, this looks terrible. This is just Mario but another IP.

35. Ratatouille: ReOpen The Doors! Already was turned down. If this happens, Up won't happen and vice versa. Both won't be made.

I think what makes Ratatouille more likely than just “it already got rejected” is that it literally hit 10k in less than a week right before deadline. It clearly has such a positive reception I can see Lego taking that into consideration this time. Give it to us LEGO!!

If another TV sitcom set makes it this time I will implode :pir-murder:

Edited by Modal

23 minutes ago, Modal said:

If another TV sitcom set makes it this time I will implode

Same here. LEGO and Sitcoms just don't belong together. This needs to stop. 

32 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I don’t think they need to stop per se, but when Idea approvals are so far and few between, and with so many original set ideas that get the boot, it pains me a little to have a spot taken for something like Community or Big Bang Theory.

40 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I'm not a big fan of Sitcom sets either. However, my wallet will be happy if they do produce another one :pir-laugh:

Hasan from the LEGO Ideas team posted yesterday:

Over the past six months, we have read a growing number of comments from the fan community related to the significant growth of product ideas reaching 10,000 supporters. A lot of those comments ask the same thing. Is it time for change on LEGO Ideas? Should we increase the supporter threshold, decrease the timeframe or change something else altogether?

The last two review periods have shown an invigorated interest in LEGO Ideas product idea submissions. We've gone from averaging about 10-12 product ideas in each review phase to seeing 26 and 35 product ideas, respectively, in the last review phases. A significantly leap.

We want to let you know that we're aware that this increase is occurring. We're also aware that this significant increase has coincided with global lockdowns related to COVID-19. The effects of this global pandemic has driven people to spend more time at home and online, as well as finding LEGO Ideas as an outlet for all that extra time and creative energy. An outlet that has not only driven an increase in supporters but also submissions.

It's too early to determine whether the trend will continue and we don't want to make any snap decisions based solely on the effects of this global situation that we face. Therefore, you shouldn't expect any fundamental changes to the way LEGO Ideas Product Ideas works in the near future.

In the longer term, we are exploring several potential changes, not only to address the current situation, but also to continue our mission of realising more AFOL designs. When exploring these options, we are of course mindful of the decade-long journey and heritage of design collaboration with the LEGO Ideas community. 

Importantly, we will always to strive to make LEGO Ideas the best possible experience for our members and community.

What are your thoughts or suggestions? Let us know below!

20 hours ago, Lego David said:

Let's be fair, I'm not opposed to it if the LEGO group choses to produce sitcom sets in other themes, but since there can be only 1 or 2 Ideas sets each round I simply hope they will chose something more creative.

21 hours ago, Lego David said:

They obviously do, as they keep deciding to make them. There is a simple solution, don't buy the sets you don't like.

26 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Let's be fair, I'm not opposed to it if the LEGO group choses to produce sitcom sets in other themes, but since there can be only 1 or 2 Ideas sets each round I simply hope they will chose something more creative.

This isn't correct. There can be as many as LEGO wants to make. In the Third 2019 review, 3 sets were selected.

11 minutes ago, MAB said:

They obviously do, as they keep deciding to make them. There is a simple solution, don't buy the sets you don't like.

This isn't correct. There can be as many as LEGO wants to make. In the Third 2019 review, 3 sets were selected.

The Piano was carried over from the last review. Otherwise there was 2.

51 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

The Piano was carried over from the last review. Otherwise there was 2.

Home Alone, Typewriter, Seinfeld. I make that three.

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

Home Alone, Typewriter, Seinfeld. I make that three.

Still a pretty limited number. 3 out of 12 is 25%...

Just now, JintaiZ said:

Still a pretty limited number. 3 out of 12 is 25%...

It isn't limited by any rule though. They can make as many as they like, they are not restricted to only pass one or two per round.

6 minutes ago, MAB said:

It isn't limited by any rule though. They can make as many as they like, they are not restricted to only pass one or two per round.

However, if they would produce all of them, there won't be place for other sets and they will have to go out of production sooner than expected...

They won't produce them all though, as not all of them have decent cases to be made. The important point is that each submission is judged on its own merits and the licensed, especially the sitcom sets here, do not stop other non-licensed ideas from being made.

3 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Hasan from the LEGO Ideas team posted yesterday:

In the longer term, we are exploring several potential changes, not only to address the current situation, but also to continue our mission of realising more AFOL designs. When exploring these options, we are of course mindful of the decade-long journey and heritage of design collaboration with the LEGO Ideas community. 

When Bricklink was sold to LEGO, they had recently worked together on Bricklink's AFOL designer program, and this seemed to be one of the strong reasons behind the acquisition of Bricklink. It wouldn't surprise me if Ideas and the AFOL designer program were somehow merged to create more fan based sets per year at some stage in the future. It may be something like only a limited palette of elements can be used (as in the ADP) to ease stress on production while also making a larger number of smaller run sets more viable.

55 minutes ago, MAB said:

They won't produce them all though, as not all of them have decent cases to be made. The important point is that each submission is judged on its own merits and the licensed, especially the sitcom sets here, do not stop other non-licensed ideas from being made.

When Bricklink was sold to LEGO, they had recently worked together on Bricklink's AFOL designer program, and this seemed to be one of the strong reasons behind the acquisition of Bricklink. It wouldn't surprise me if Ideas and the AFOL designer program were somehow merged to create more fan based sets per year at some stage in the future. It may be something like only a limited palette of elements can be used (as in the ADP) to ease stress on production while also making a larger number of smaller run sets more viable.

Bricklink sets also had a very limited run.

10 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Bricklink sets also had a very limited run.

Yes, I know. That is because LEGO imposed a limit of how many of each set could be produced, the same as they do for LCP sets.

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

Yes, I know. That is because LEGO imposed a limit of how many of each set could be produced, the same as they do for LCP sets.

Well, then only few people will get high demanded sets.

2 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Well, then only few people will get high demanded sets.

Not if, now LEGO own Bricklink and the AFOL design program, they decide to increase the numbers available. For example, they could still use this type of scheme with a limited palette of parts for smaller non-licensed AFOL designed sets (whether they do the packing or BL do it), while keeping IDEAS for both larger designs and licensed. Like every new initiative, LEGO were testing the idea of such a scheme first time around, much like other similar trials such as the original CUUSOO site, the Crawler, FORMA. All were quite limited numbers the first time around.

The original statements from LEGO seem to have gone from BL, but Brothers Brick still have this one: According to LEGO, “the AFOL Designer Program is currently being tested” and depending on the outcome it “may be more broadly implemented.”

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/09/12/lego-and-bricklink-will-sell-fan-designed-sets-through-new-afol-designer-program-news/

37 minutes ago, MAB said:

Not if, now LEGO own Bricklink and the AFOL design program, they decide to increase the numbers available. For example, they could still use this type of scheme with a limited palette of parts for smaller non-licensed AFOL designed sets (whether they do the packing or BL do it), while keeping IDEAS for both larger designs and licensed. Like every new initiative, LEGO were testing the idea of such a scheme first time around, much like other similar trials such as the original CUUSOO site, the Crawler, FORMA. All were quite limited numbers the first time around.

The original statements from LEGO seem to have gone from BL, but Brothers Brick still have this one: According to LEGO, “the AFOL Designer Program is currently being tested” and depending on the outcome it “may be more broadly implemented.”

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/09/12/lego-and-bricklink-will-sell-fan-designed-sets-through-new-afol-designer-program-news/

Anniversary sets are a different story...