The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

3 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

I've just never understood the people who REFUSE to support a decent or exceptional Ideas project solely because it is built with physical bricks or digitally rendered. Nevermind how artfully put together and coherent and feasible the project is, good lord it's a render, the world is ending! Believe me, those people exist! 

If my post came across like that, I certainly do not fall in that category of people. :shrug_oh_well: 

LEGO is a form of art and creativity after all, beside being a toy.

Digital designs and their software are a great tool in this modern age.

I love to see actual brick models on Ideas, but that doesn't mean I instantly hate digital ones.

If it was meant asa generic statement that's okay too :thumbup:

Edited by TeriXeri

@TeriXeri Oh no, I was not implying that you were one of those people! It was definitely meant as a generic statement! 

(Most of the people I've met, which number very little, were not on EB) 

Edited by Elysiumfountain

16 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

But personally I always prefer to see an actual Idea brick built, as digital techniques might have structural problems.

Presentation is important too. And to be honest, I find your presentation really quite poor compared to the others. Take the red roof one, for example, and look at the images:

5908124-o_1cte0c5kul7g15ou1t51jqarmej-th5371528-o_1cb7bi4n31kga85jmj0g771fppj-Ws

The first image, yours is an awkward angle hiding lots of the actual build, lots of distraction in the background of crumpled sheets, seems to concentrate on the roof (boring!). Whereas the other one, is quite joyful - bright colours of the balloons, shows the house "in motion", sets the scene with the minifigures and garden, full frame and no distracting background. I know which one I would investigate further just from looking at those images. Isn't Up about a house that takes off, lifted by balloons? That is captured perfectly in their first mage. Yours doesn't show this aspect of the movie at all. Of course, their house is too small for the minifigures, but this is typical of LEGO sets - they have the important feature that their house flies and looks the right scale compared to the mass of balloons.

Then the other images don't get any better. In fact, you literally waste space. Look at the size of this image - you use under 10% of the image area, making the actual image hard to see and the crop job done on it is really bad. If you want to hide the bad background, light a flat white sheet well and it will almost disappear. Don't use a badly lit crumped sheet that appears grey and distracting, then leave part of this in (edges and around the balloons). Fill the frame!

5878870-IMG_E7589-thumbnail-full.JPG

Compare this to a similar shot from your rival, where they fill the frame:

5371563-5C317524-C25E-433C-A6AC-D2934CB5

Their figures vs yours:

5371573-0119B6AE-EB33-4D76-BB96-A66C74BA5878930-IMG_E7600-thumbnail-full.JPG

Then you go on to show SEVEN images of chairs - again all tiny compared to the size of the image. Do you think this is a key selling point of your submission? I cannot understand why you'd include seven images of something so boring.

5878895-IMG_E7593.JPG5878900-IMG_E7594.JPG5878905-IMG_E7595.JPG5878910-IMG_E7596.JPG5878915-IMG_E7597.JPG5878920-IMG_E7598.JPG5878925-IMG_E7599.JPG

Presentation counts.

As for the one with no balloons, it is presambly this one:

5993924-o_1d0d8ie2urvonn73m61add1k7ae-th5908124-o_1cte0c5kul7g15ou1t51jqarmej-th

I imagine it is popular at the moment and hence highlighted as it is a nicely presented project that is also interesting build techniques. Sure it has no balloons, and so is missing out on telling that part of the story (and why it will probably fail to attract enough support) but it is full of interesting details for the walls and roof, compared to yours which appears to be really quite standard 1xX bricks to build walls, with plain plates used for the roof.  This one is really nicely designed and looks like details have been thought about - compare with yours above, theirs is superior in both design and presentation.

On the subject of physical vs digital: if there's one occasion to go digital, it's certainly for Ideas. You want to give your all to make the project the best you can, right? That means: with whatever parts you need, in whatever colours you need, in whatever quantities you need, with whatever prints you need (although that's pretty advanced).  @Elysiumfountain made a fair point about ease of iteration, totally agree.

@MAB Those are really valuable tips! :thumbup: 

21 hours ago, MAB said:

--Snip--

Thank you for the advice! These tips will come in handy!:)

Edited by Peppermint_M
Try not to quote something so huge!

I am happy to say that I finally had a success on LEGO Ideas! None of my projects made it, but the prizes from the Harry Potter contest for my basilisk entry just arrived in the mail today! 

Lego Harry Potter Prizes!

I've never seen so many sets together in all my life! Outside of stores that is ;) 

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That one really took the new year, only 23 days to get to 10.000.

But understandable even if you just count Brazil that's over 200 million people.

I do think it's a good way to remember the huge loss of historical items.

Edited by TeriXeri

Wow! This one really flew past me, I saw it when it was at 500 or so supporters, congratulations to the builder! A little basic on the architectural elements, perhaps, but I suppose that could be remedied if it passes review :) 

1 hour ago, Elysiumfountain said:

Wow! This one really flew past me, I saw it when it was at 500 or so supporters, congratulations to the builder! A little basic on the architectural elements, perhaps, but I suppose that could be remedied if it passes review :) 

I hadn't even noticed it had been added to the site until it was already at about 8000 votes. I think the designer has promised to donate any potential royalties to the rebuilding of the museum if it ever gets selected for production.

Wow!  Such a loss, though, with the destruction of most of the collection at the museum. Apparently the estimates, as with most fires, will take about ten years to rebuild. If it doesn't get slowed down by any number of factors. Still, best of luck to the designer as the idea moves on to the next phase!  

On 1/17/2019 at 3:34 PM, Elysiumfountain said:

I am happy to say that I finally had a success on LEGO Ideas! None of my projects made it, but the prizes from the Harry Potter contest for my basilisk entry just arrived in the mail today! 

Lego Harry Potter Prizes!

I've never seen so many sets together in all my life! Outside of stores that is ;) 

Congratulations Elysium!

On 1/17/2019 at 6:34 PM, Elysiumfountain said:

Congratulations!  That's awesome!

On 1/18/2019 at 12:34 AM, Elysiumfountain said:

Congratulations that is a beautiful collection of sets! So far I only have two, but I will get the rest in September :wink:

Anyone know when the next review results are due to be annnounced? It must be soon as I think they've finished all the 10k interviews for the latest batch.

5 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Well done! I'm pleased your project is starting to pick up pace. :thumbup:

Thanks buddy! Congrats on 1000 for Bricks and Blooms!

Edited by Modeltrainman

36 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

Thanks buddy! Congrats on 1000 for Bricks and Blooms!

Thanks. ? it's almost gone up to 1500 now so I'm really pleased with how fast it seems to be going. I suppose it will slow down as soon as it starts to slip away from the top of the homepage though.

Just now, Graupensuppe said:

My Vostok rocket hit 1,111 supporters today. :excited:

That's great. Did it make much of a difference to your votes after it was staff picked recently?