The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

LEGO Ideas’ Facebook presence just teased an upcoming video to be shown st 9am EST, with Darryl and Dimitry.

Since they only just finished the interviews for the review batch on Monday, three days ago, it surely isn’t the review results (which I assume are coming next Monday), and I presume one of the two gentlemen is a model builder and the other a graphic designer (can anyone confirm? I don’t know all of TLG’s designers by name / face). Surely this has to be the Voltron set reveal.

:excited:

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

LEGO Ideas’ Facebook presence just teased an upcoming video to be shown st 9am EST, with Darryl and Dimitry.

Since they only just finished the interviews for the review batch on Monday, three days ago, it surely isn’t the review results (which I assume are coming next Monday), and I presume one of the two gentlemen is a model builder and the other a graphic designer (can anyone confirm? I don’t know all of TLG’s designers by name / face). Surely this has to be the Voltron set reveal.

:excited:

Well, so much for what I know (for the nth time!)...

Very nice (if wholly expected) to see the Pop-up Book approved. Big congrats to Grant and Jason, and especially for Jason joining the ultra-exclusive club of people with multiple Ideas sets. But I have to say I’m a little surprised as well as disappointed Robert didn’t get to join that club as well. But I’m sure he’ll get another chance (or two, or three...).

No surprises. That was obvious but I'm still really glad about the pop-up book! :classic: I need to say I'm actually kind of surprised that no projects by @Robenanne were selected this time, I thought they'd consider selecting at least one of his projects to go with the pop-up book as it's exceptional what @Robenanne achieved making three projects into one review stage... Anyway, c'est la vie... :wink:

The only project that I'm slightly saddened to see rejected, is the Jaguar E-Type. That certainly would've been a beauty, but I suppose that it would've fit in too similarly to the Creator Expert automobile line; so, much like many modular building projects, it may have been rejected for at least that reason alone. :sad:

6 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

I need to say I'm actually kind of surprised that no projects by @Robenanne were selected this time, I thought they'd consider selecting at least one of his projects to go with the pop-up book as it's exceptional what @Robenanne achieved making three projects into one review stage... Anyway, c'est la vie... :wink:

If he had chosen a different theme for those architectural projects besides the nautical theme again, I believe they would've had a somewhat better chance, as it seems that those at LEGO Ideas are trying to avoid approving of any projects that would take away from the individuality of past sets in the Ideas portfolio. 

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

In that interview they say that the E-Type clashes with another product (without going into details).

It just has to be an upcoming Creator Expert set he's referring to. :shrug_oh_well:

Here's that section of the interview by the way:

So you’re saying that this choice was almost a no-brainer.

Samuel: It’s an amazing opportunity for open creativity and storytelling. But regarding the other ones that we rejected, we would definitely have loved to expand the Old Fishing Store into a whole world. But we’ve just launched a product and don’t want to see a new product cannibalising the previous one. We really love it, and we see that the fans really love his style, but unfortunately it was the wrong timing for those ones. That being said, he’s got loads of other buildings, so there’s definitely a chance that maybe we’ll have him return as a fan designer again.

We love the car as well, but unfortunately it clashed with another product that we have coming, without saying too much. I’d personally never heard of the Christmas Story before, but just reading the comments and the online stuff about it, I realised that there’s a massive fan base. Again, it was hard for us to say no - after all, 10,000 people said ‘yeah, I’d buy that.’

You also have to remember that we have limited frames of how many sets we can make. We’re coming up to three this year, by the time Voltron comes out, and we normally do around three or four a year. We can’t push it too far, because that would mean that we’d have to take people from somewhere else - and then cannibalise another team. So there’s loads of constraints that we run with and we hope that we just give everybody the best option for what they chose. So we had an open mind for the other submissions, but the pop-up book is the model that we’ve chosen this time.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

59 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

They forgot the Flintstones set.

Nah, it’s in the following batch (the First 2018 batch), with nine other projects that aren’t these.

I was hoping for another building from the Sea front Village, but I understand them saying it's too soon after the Old Fishing Store. Moreover they are perhaps too similiar like that one, which I consider the best of them all.

The Pop-Up book is a nice idea. I'm looking forward how the finished version will look! As an extra, it could turn out as a very welcome parts pack for fans of the castle, pirates en western themes!

Disappointed that we didn't get another set to go with the Old Fishing Store. 

The Pop-Up Book is cool, though.

On 2.06.2018 at 4:13 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

We love the car as well, but unfortunately it clashed with another product that we have coming, without saying too much.

Any rumors what it could be? Another Creator Expert Car? Should it be expected this year?

Ninjago Docks would be the first set he's referring to, I'm guessing.

I have a hard time believing that the Jaguar was blocked by the Technic Bugatti, so I'm guessing that there must be a relevant Creator Expert car in the pipeline

7 hours ago, parsom said:

Any rumors what it could be? Another Creator Expert Car? Should it be expected this year?

That I feel may be the most likely possibility, but I don't necessarily think that it would be an outright Jaguar E-Type. If anything, the scale alone of that submission was enough to qualify it as being too similar to a potential Creator Expert set, much like how modular building projects submitted to Ideas conflict with the preexisting annual line.

1 hour ago, Artanis I said:

I have a hard time believing that the Jaguar was blocked by the Technic Bugatti, so I'm guessing that there must be a relevant Creator Expert car in the pipeline

He would've said that was the case if it were indeed, as the Chiron was announced during that very event.

3 hours ago, x105Black said:

Word on the street is that Voltron will release on August 1st for $179.99 US...

Wow, that would certainly be the costliest Ideas set ever.  I wonder what most people are willing to pay for Voltron.

1 hour ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Wow, that would certainly be the costliest Ideas set ever.  I wonder what most people are willing to pay for Voltron.

If it’s not only a large build with lots of parts but also a functional one - say, with the individual lions all poseable and functional on their own and also able to join into Voltron, which would then be poseable itself, and featuring minifigures of the characters? I could totally see fans being willing to pay.

I’ve noted several times before that as CUUSOO / Ideas has gone on, it has steadily progressed in various ways and its boundaries have expanded in various ways - among them, what size and price point they’re comfortable with and willing to do. For the first few years, all CUUSOO / Ideas sets came in at $49.99 (USD) or less, with piece counts in line with those prices. Then, in 2015, they pushed a little more, and we had three in a row at $59.99. Then, another $10 jump to $69.99, then another to $79.99, as the piece counts rose accordingly. After a couple smaller sets that dropped back down to $59.99 or under, we got a big jump with the NASA Apollo Saturn V, the first Ideas set with over a thousand pieces (nearly two thousand, in fact), and a price point of $119.99 - excellent value for the set, but uncharted territory for the Ideas line. The next one went even further, with over two thousand parts coming in at $149.99.

Heck, just look back at where we were a mere three years ago today, in June of 2015. The ninth set - the Birds - had just come out a few months before, and it had 580 pieces - the largest part count of any CUUSOO or Ideas set up to that point. The most expensive were the Shinkai 6500, Hayabusa, and Ghostbusters, with a US price for the latter two of $49.99. And, as noted, there were just nine sets so far; the next, The Big Bang Theory, was still a couple months away.

Three years later, there have now been more than twice as many sets released in the line - the line is now ten years old, and took almost three years to yield its first set, while more than half the sets released have come in just the last three. The maximum price point has tripled from what it was three years ago, while the maximum piece count gone up even more. There was a time when most of us doubted we’d ever see this program yield sets with a thousand pieces or more, and then last year we had two of them back-to-back. Ideas has come a long way in these ten years.

3 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

51 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I want to buy two.

Me too.  I'm willing to pay $180 x2 for two of these sets.

I don't see how I can have *just* the Lions on display, or *just* Voltron on display.  I'm going to need to have both on display.

4 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I don't see how I can have *just* the Lions on display, or *just* Voltron on display.  I'm going to need to have both on display.

Exactly!

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Three years later, there have now been more than twice as many sets released in the line - the line is now ten years old, and took almost three years to yield its first set, while more than half the sets released have come in just the last three. The maximum price point has tripled from what it was three years ago, while the maximum piece count gone up even more. There was a time when most of us doubted we’d ever see this program yield sets with a thousand pieces or more, and then last year we had two of them back-to-back. Ideas has come a long way in these ten years.

Voltron could well take three years. It was submitted on April 11 2016, so has been in the process over two years already.

As to the price, who is going to buying it? I imagine many buyers will be 30-45 and likely to have a decent disposable income, so LEGO might as well design a set to justify taking a good portion of it.

Finally a release date!

The reveal should happen at any time now