xwingyoda

Garbage Truck (7991) Pic Review

The TRU in my area has three kits available and they are already having a 20% off sale.

The sale also applies to online orders.

The kits available were:

7991 Recycle Truck $15.97 CDN (10.99 Euro)

7992 Container Stacker $21.57 CDN (14.84 Euro)

7994 City Harbour $95.97 CDN (66.03 Euro)

7998 Heavy Hauler $38.37 CDN (26.40 Euro)

Wow! Great review *yoda* !! (I know that's pretty much how I start all comments regarding your reviews, but that's because they are great!) I wish I could say 'a must buy' like most other members, but I just don't have the money! What money I do have, I'm saving for the Castle line (as I have repetitively said before lol). So thanks for a great review, although one thing confuses me, why do they have a recycling symbol on a garbage truck?

So thanks for a great review, although one thing confuses me, why do they have a recycling symbol on a garbage truck?

Beacause they recycle it?? :-| X-D

Woa! 8-

best garbage truck ever ^^ a must for any city

thx for the review btw... esp the idea where u can load two bins at one go ^^

Edit: Don't quote the entire post if you don't quote anything from it.

Edited by Hobbes

I only got one question

Does it fit threw the new gas station's car wash? X-D

After all those rubbish trucks can get pretty dirty

Piranha

i just picked up two of these at my local TRU...

i do have one complaint about the overall design... there are about 5 areas which i feel the truck is "un-sturdy." this really bothers me, as im used to official LEGO designs sandwiching all bricks and plates securely.

i think LEGO might have been trying to place this set in a lower price bracket, thus resulting in the "fragile" design. don't get me wrong, this is a spectacular set, very well designed... but with a few more pieces could have been better.

one, the front attachment is large enough that it should require more than a 1x4 brick to hold it on. also, the exhaust pipes just "rest" against the top 2x4 white plate. i wish there was an extra clip to hold them in place. also, when you go to pick up the truck you have to grab the unit by the base, otherwise the back starts to lift from the truck (i think some type of locking element should have been implemented, the side technic axels don't do anything).

also, though minor, is that the seat the driver sits in is exposed on the back of the cabin... a little strange, but not terrible.

anyway, everyone who gets this set should enjoy it, i like it a lot !!! and am happy to keep one MISB ;-)

- BrickMiner

Not only does that brick upfront hold the rearview mirror but also the SNOT frontpiece. Removing the brick that holds it all together will require another brick like this (two of those are used now) to hold the front with the headlights.

I came across the same problem when making my european firetruck (the vehicle from the new firestation I based it on had the same problem), and solved it by putting one instead of two of those special bricks inside the cabin, in the middle next to the steering wheel. The design becomes less sturdy, but the car looks great with doors. The garbagetruck (13 euros right now here in Amsterdam!) has the same front.

p3164158.jpg_thumb.jpg

Click to enlarge.

That truck is AWSOME! Nice to see a european fire truck MOC here ;-) Our fire engines always look so much more solid that those yanks :-P

And don't get into driving on the wrong side of the road :P, The wikipedia article on this is very interesting if ye want to hava look :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_drive

As for the garbage truck / review, looks awsome! I agree I'd have prefered green as our used to be so it seems the classic colour for me. Recently they changed them to white...i mean WHITE..for a GARBAGE TRUCK... :-/ So they are usualy a shade of brown :-D

I agree I'd have prefered green as our used to be so it seems the classic colour for me. Recently they changed them to white...i mean WHITE..for a GARBAGE TRUCK... :-/ So they are usualy a shade of brown :-D

Our garbage trucks are white.. 8-|

RENOBIL1.jpg

Trash OFF!

Our garbage trucks are white.. 8-|

Trash OFF!

technically, this set is a recycle truck

Recycle on!

technically, this set is a recycle truck

Recycle on!

Really? I thought it was technically a garbage truck, only with a recycling symbol on it. You know, to encourage people to not recycle, and throw all their recyclables in the trash. Wait...

But seriously, I actually did wonder why a garbage truck would have a recycling symbol on it. It confused me for quite some time. And if this is a recycling truck, where's the garbage truck?

Wait... where can you find recycling trucks??

Where I live, the garbage and recycling trucks are now one and the same. They have separate compartments in the back for the bin men to put the trash and the different kinds of recycling, and they all have the recycling symbol on the side.

I think this is my favourite set from this year's city line, and Yoda's excellent review convinced me to pick one up. Even so, it needs quite a bit tweaking. The tweaks all seem minor, but I ended up adding around 35 extra pieces. I just want to add my voice and express solidarity with my Eurobricks brothers and sisters because I too will strike for car doors. So Asuka, this one's for you:

610263287_1d1e653957_o.jpg

I prefer SimonWillems method of adding doors (nice Fire Truck!), although it means I had to lose the mirrors completely. I tried Snefroe's suggestion of rearward facing doors but to me it just didn't look quite right. Notice the extra fuel tanks to fill in the gaps underneath. The whole truck is one stud shorter to remove the gap between the cab and the body.

610264267_ba3c9169ee_o.jpg

At the back of the cab, the driver now has a window at the top so he can check that the body is tipping correctly. I've fixed some of the "unsturdiness" mentioned by Brick Miner by securing the chimneys with a couple of clips. The black hand-holds right at the back have been replaced with white ones to keep the colour scheme consistent.

610263761_f536f67b3b_o.jpg

I've managed to get two minifgs in the cab sitting side by side (can you see how I did it?). The original seating position is just wrong (I don't understand why when they got it right on the cement mixer). I've added seatbacks and headrests and even a centre console and gear lever to keep my minifigs comfortable.

So you see, every set I buy from TLC is perfect! (At least when I've finished with them, they are!)

That truck is AWSOME! Nice to see a european fire truck MOC here ;-) Our fire engines always look so much more solid that those yanks :-P

Thanks!

I prefer SimonWillems method of adding doors (nice Fire Truck!), although it means I had to lose the mirrors completely.

I never had any affection considering those mirrors (they are placed too low anyway) and if I can choose between mirrors or doors, I'd say: Doors!

Great job on the Garbage/recycling truck, it looks great with those seats inside and the way you made the cab fit two minifigs. I might even buy this set and perform the same modifications.

:-)

Nice mocking, PaulC *y*

Maybe I also do this when I get this set

Very nice improvements, especially for the cab, PaulC! :-$ *y*

But perhaps, if you really want some mirrors, you just could replace

those plates 1 x 2 with Door Rail from above the windscreen and add

two plates 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical and two bars 4L Light Sabre Blade

or so to attach something mirrorlike to them.... 8-|

Anyways.... The Doors rule! :'-)

So you see, every set I buy from TLC is perfect! (At least when I've finished with them, they are!)

That is an excellent improvement. I haven't bought mine yet, I bought the Cement Mixer instead. I am planning on doing a similar conversion. Thanks for the ideas!

Just with few pieces and some imagination and a nice official LEGO set is so much better! Nice work PaulC!

I like the idea of having two figs in the truck, an advantage of the 6-wide vehicle that TLC doesn't use...

Can't wait to find it in stores...

Hi all! I got this truck the other day and I've noticed one thing;

When you tip the rubbish out, it gets caught on the studs inside on the floor. I'm going to line it with 'flat' strips. (The smooth ones without studs. Don't know the technical term!! :'-) )

'flat' strips. (The smooth ones without studs. Don't know the technical term!! :'-) )

Tiles!

Good luck *y*

Where I live, the garbage and recycling trucks are now one and the same. They have separate compartments in the back for the bin men to put the trash and the different kinds of recycling, and they all have the recycling symbol on the side.

I think this is my favourite set from this year's city line, and Yoda's excellent review convinced me to pick one up. Even so, it needs quite a bit tweaking. The tweaks all seem minor, but I ended up adding around 35 extra pieces. I just want to add my voice and express solidarity with my Eurobricks brothers and sisters because I too will strike for car doors. So Asuka, this one's for you:

610263287_1d1e653957_o.jpg

I prefer SimonWillems method of adding doors (nice Fire Truck!), although it means I had to lose the mirrors completely. I tried Snefroe's suggestion of rearward facing doors but to me it just didn't look quite right. Notice the extra fuel tanks to fill in the gaps underneath. The whole truck is one stud shorter to remove the gap between the cab and the body.

610264267_ba3c9169ee_o.jpg

At the back of the cab, the driver now has a window at the top so he can check that the body is tipping correctly. I've fixed some of the "unsturdiness" mentioned by Brick Miner by securing the chimneys with a couple of clips. The black hand-holds right at the back have been replaced with white ones to keep the colour scheme consistent.

610263761_f536f67b3b_o.jpg

I've managed to get two minifgs in the cab sitting side by side (can you see how I did it?). The original seating position is just wrong (I don't understand why when they got it right on the cement mixer). I've added seatbacks and headrests and even a centre console and gear lever to keep my minifigs comfortable.

I have to say that is a great Mod PaulC, now you can say you have a great set.

Why didn't Lego do it this way in the beggining? for only 35 extra pieces?

I don't understand why the 6w trucks fit only 1 minifig and have no doors...

Your's perfect now.

I can't remember where it was but I remember reading an interview with a set designer.

The designer stated that they were all given assignments within a specific theme, to meet a specific price point. So no matter how many pieces the set has, it must meet the price point they are given.

Its fair enough that you would have appreciated 35 more pieces for, what, maybe 40-60p more? But they don't dictate the price point, LEGO does. 7991 is what they guy came up with for the

But they don't dictate the price point, LEGO does. 7991 is what they guy came up with for the