LegoSjaak

OAM-club (Owners of All Modulars)

Let´s ask the moderator.....Rick...can we get a button for this..???

Most tags are awarded for certain accomplishments. Spending money isn't really an accomplishment. :grin:

I like to think of it not as spending money but showing the community what you are most passionate about with LEGO. Back in the day I enjoyed the Star Wars sets and I had/have many of the original sets, but I have since broken them all up and parted them out for parts to build the CC, GG and MS and the rest went to my kids to build with. A button would show people that I am passionate about Modulars. I think the modular community lacks in this area of recognition. I don't know how many other areas of LEGO that people are so willing to BL the parts just to get the missing sets. I have most of my GG BL'd and 1/3 of my CC and MS and now just waiting for some cash to finish BL'ing the rest. To me that shows passion and does take "time" and not just money to accomplish.

Just my 2 Cents.

Here are my modulars:

9583085602_b13628e7bd_b.jpg

All originals + one MOC + one MOD - the XXL-Grand Emporium.

The Parisian restaurant is soon to follow.

Own them all:

Café Corner I bought from the French Amazon just before prices got sky high. Then I bought all the other Modulars. 10190 Market Street is the only one I bought used...

Funny thing is: I never considered MS to be an official one, because I didn't have it :)

Now that I own it I consider it an official one.

My exhibits:

- It is pictures with the other ones in the instruction booklets and boxes

- it is features in the Mini Modulars.

Edited by merman

I like to think of it not as spending money but showing the community what you are most passionate about with LEGO. Back in the day I enjoyed the Star Wars sets and I had/have many of the original sets, but I have since broken them all up and parted them out for parts to build the CC, GG and MS and the rest went to my kids to build with. A button would show people that I am passionate about Modulars. I think the modular community lacks in this area of recognition. I don't know how many other areas of LEGO that people are so willing to BL the parts just to get the missing sets. I have most of my GG BL'd and 1/3 of my CC and MS and now just waiting for some cash to finish BL'ing the rest. To me that shows passion and does take "time" and not just money to accomplish.

Just my 2 Cents.

Yeah I gotta agree. I put a lot of time and effort into bricklinking the first 3 modulars, the same amount of time and effort I put into my modular MOCs, sure I didn't come up with the design but I spent time and effort which could have been spent on something non-LEGO related, but I was passionate about wanting all of the modulars...

My last words on the matter :laugh:

I also want to add that modulars are rather important... I mean that they are important in a way that the modular line were the first Lego items i showed my family, friends and collegues... I had tons of city-stuff but never dared to show it to the public not being anonymous... But the modular line was so mature that all people who had never seen these buildings, no longer considered Lego as only a toy for kids.... People always asked me when they saw my modulars: Is thát Lego??? So maybe the role of modulars is underestimated.......

I would prefer of the tags were continued for building achievements personally. I don't have all of them currently, but I didn't see the purpose of being recognized for buying a complete collection of sets. What's next, a tag for owning the entire city police line? (Keep in mind I do plan on owning all of them eventually, but I'd rather be recognized for building or participating in certain competitions)

Modular builders are a rare breed, so some recognition would be good. But maybe in a different way. Present more MOCs and showcase your skills.

There are quite a few great builders on here that dont seem to have any MOC expert tags. Maybe a special modular expert tag when the time arises.

Well... I added HH to my row of modulars. It is quite nice. Not sure it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, as it's been made out to be, but a lot of people seem to group it with the modulars.

I'm working my way building from the earliest modular to the latest (not including Market Street). I just complete up to the Town Hall and will do the Palace Cinema next. Still haven't bought HH or PR yet (maybe on the next 3x points day). So far, the most enjoyable build is PS. It's refreshingly broken down to four bag groups instead of the usual three and it's packed with little details all along the way. Seriously, we need more 16x32 buildings. The least enjoyable is the GE since there is so much repetition on every floor, which is interesting because otherwise it's a very attractive model. I guess 'modern' buildings will be pretty boring to build.

@LegoSjaak, Smoothbit and Holodoc, thank you.

I own only the Market street because I have not enough money or room for the rest.

But I'm quite happy with it. It has indeed a empty inside, but the Cafe Corner has it too.

They were the first of a totally new way of making houses for TLC, so I'm not that sad for the little things that could be better.

This was the second big designstep for houses (first creator houses, 2004/2005) in around 3 years time, so there was a quick product development.

@LegoSjaak, Smoothbit and Holodoc, thank you.

I own only the Market street because I have not enough money or room for the rest.

But I'm quite happy with it. It has indeed a empty inside, but the Cafe Corner has it too.

They were the first of a totally new way of making houses for TLC, so I'm not that sad for the little things that could be better.

This was the second big designstep for houses (first creator houses, 2004/2005) in around 3 years time, so there was a quick product development.

Wout, you could consider to sell your Market Street, and with the money, you could buy 3 of the new Modular sets that are available now.... It is just what you want.. keep the Market Street, or have fun in owning, building and showing three newer modulars....! Just an idea... When you still have the box and the buildinginstructions, you will sell it easily... Greetz, LegoSjaak

Even when pigs would fly or get 1000 euro, I still wouldn't selling my Market Street. :wink:

I meant that some people complained about the emptiness of the M.S., but TLC was still working on the line.

You can't expect they are as detailed as the newest Parisian Restaurant.

When we acquired our Café Corner, we were not overly pleased with the reddish brown on the second floor or with the yellow awning. So my wife tweaked the colors by using dark tan in place of the reddish brown and dark red for the awning.

post-14530-0-86127000-1401549308_thumb.jpg

^I like it. It is really subdued compared to the original. I like the dark red awning. The yellow stands out on the original, but this works really well here too.

I almost wonder if maybe adding in another darker color would work with the dark tan, but not like the reddish brown. The dark tan works much better with the black I think.

I have built and rebuilt multiple versions of CC, looking at different arrangements and styles. I may have to rework it again and see how it would look with a different color. I hadn't considered that before.

I've tried building it as a straight build, but to get it to look similar to the original, you need a middle tower, which resembles Town Hall and Fire Brigade too much. So I have them separated to allow the original entrance and the side entrance to the hotel, but something just seems off about it.

Thanks for sharing!

^originally my wife wanted more dark tan to replace some of the tan parts but at the time! many of these pieces were not available. Will have to check again. Round bricks, inverted slopes and cheese slopes may be out there now.

When we acquired our Café Corner, we were not overly pleased with the reddish brown on the second floor or with the yellow awning. So my wife tweaked the colors by using dark tan in place of the reddish brown and dark red for the awning.

It looks nice, although i like the original also a lot... I would like to widen the cafe corner, but it is way too expensive to buy a second set to to that... Instead of that i scored a second Fire Brigade yesterdayevening, to make one building out of two sets.. now i have to figure out what would look the best.. This extra FB set makes that my modular collection now has 15 modular sets.... :blush:14323704971_bdb76b3986_b.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak

As far as I like a bigger FB, yours looks a bit ... uninspired.

It's just two sets put together. It works on the facade of the first flor, but the two trees and two entrances on the one side and the two street lamps on the other is plain boring and the twin 1932 is a no-go!

Wait - this is just a work of photoshop?! :blush:

Well, you know what to do when you start building a bigger FB then. :laugh:

As far as I like a bigger FB, yours looks a bit ... uninspired.

It's just two sets put together. It works on the facade of the first flor, but the two trees and two entrances on the one side and the two street lamps on the other is plain boring and the twin 1932 is a no-go!

Wait - this is just a work of photoshop?! :blush:

Well, you know what to do when you start building a bigger FB then. :laugh:

Oh yeah, this is just photoshop :laugh: , to show what the main lines are gonna be.. but there will be only one black door in the front, the other 'hole' in the facade gets windows...the tree will be left out and the lamppost will be mirrored to the other side.. But then, the second floor..Both parts with 1932 on them will have to be put together so they look like one large bow. I'm also thinking of raising the bell/tower a bit.. and i still have to figure out what to do with the red tiling between the two windows on the second floor.. now i photoshopped grey tiles between them, but maybe it looks better when they are darkred too.... And that is just the facade......i think i'll need to order some parts later this week......just to work out the best look... We'll see....! But thanks for you comment anyway!! :sweet:

I have all 9 too... plus an extra GE. The extra GE is still unopened. I bought the other sets when they were still available on S@H. The only exception is FB, which I bought at a toy shop for 190 euros. It had been discontinued when I decided to buy it. So all my nine modulars were brand new when I bought them. I didn't have to buy a modular that was used. With regard to the discontinued modulars, even the used ones are now quite expensive!

I have all 9 modulars of which i have the last 6 double. For some modulars i even ordered some extra parts to make things like this...14402187454_0f86f88cee.jpg

Finally the collection is complete, the last one (Market Street) bought a week ago.

I use them every year around christmas - my daughter and I set up a display on the pool table:

setup.jpg

Henrik

Finally the collection is complete, the last one (Market Street) bought a week ago.

I use them every year around christmas - my daughter and I set up a display on the pool table:

setup.jpg

Henrik

Congrats!! It is nice to have certain moments to put them all together. I normally have them in a layout, but the last year i did not take the time to put them back in the layout.. so now and then, when i'm off for a day, i take them all downstairs to have a close look at them and re-arrange them!!

I have all the Modulars, but the Market Street was bought via PaB.

I came out of my Dark Ages because of the Modulars. However some Modulars were out already. At the time they were asking €1.000 for the Market Street on BL...

So I decided to buy what I could. Fortunately I was able to get them all.