Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

Ok, Klaus-Dieter, in another thread you suggested providing a more detailed description of my ideas in this thread, and here it is:

The indoor swimming pool:

This is not an idea I developed myself. I simply came across a picture of a great indoor swimming pool here. Just click on the link! It looks absolutely brilliant! *wub*

A computer shop:

This shop could be integrated into a shopping centre. The shopping centre could be of the same size as Cafe Corner with the computer shop being on one floor and other shops on the other floors. Two guys trying to sell the computers would be good plus two or three customers. Maybe a van with the computer shop's logo on it would also be nice plus a driver. This van is needed to deliver computers to customers and/or it is the van of the service crew that go from house to house to repair computers (as long as there's still guarantee on them *wink* ).

A car seller:

A building with a lot of big glass windows because there are some cars on display inside. In the building there should be two ordinary cars and a SUV. Outside there can be four cars that are also for sale. There should also be a secretary's office in the building. Minifigs: the secretary, two car sellers, and three customers.

...it would be nice to have a garage and two mechanics as an addition to the car seller. The car seller's shop and the garage could have the same linking mechanism as Cafe Corner and Green Grocer. In addition to the two mechanics, there could be a tow truck and a car that is being repaired.

Concerning the prices: all of the things mentioned above should be as cheap as possible, of course! *wink* *sweet*

Edited by legotrainfan

Since there is no difference between this and the "Ideas for new city sets" topic, I'll merge them.

Again some more wishes:

August/September:

Cargo Train – 99,99 €

a little platform with a ramp and a cargo train consisting of a diesel engine, an octan tank wagon and a freight wagon with sliding doors

including a forklift, a pallet with six brown barrels, a pallet with six cargo boxes, a handy, a shovel, a brush and some other tools

minifigs: a conductor, an octan worker and two train workers

Passenger Train – 159,99 €

a platform with two lamps, two benches and a timetable and a passenger train consisting of an electric engine, a passenger car (with seats), a dining car (with a little kitchen, a bar and four seats - each two seats with a table and a little lamp on it) and a sleeping car (with a toilet in the middle and on each side a sleeping room with a loft bed)

including two tickets, some suitcases, some tumblers and some cups

minifigs: a conductor, a porter, a female cook, a barkeeper, a stewardess, a man, a woman, a little girl and a little boy

Cargo Loading Station – 36,99 €

a cargo loading station consisting of two straight rails, a functioning cargo elevator with control stand and a container wagon for two until three containers

including a van with doors to transport the containers, two different containers with doors, some barrels and boxes to fill the containers, a handy and some tools

minifigs: two train workers and a van driver

S@H Exclusives:

Refrigerator Car – 24,99 €

a refrigerator car with sliding doors

including a van for cooled food, a pushcart, a pallet with milk bags and a pallet with bottles

minifigs: a train worker and a van driver

Grand Central Station – 99,99 €

a platform with a ticket machine, two lamps, two benches and a timetable and a grand central station (first floor: big entrance with foyer with seats, a timetable and a ticket machine, a kiosk on the left side with frames with food and other stuff and a desk with a cash and a luggage office on the right side with a big frame for the suitcases; second floor: little restaurant with four seats and two tables with kitchen on the left side and office with writing table with computer, telephone and two seats on the right side)

including a little box van with two little trailers, some suitcases, some food, a handy, some tickets, some tumblers and some cups

minifigs: a porter, a cook, two train workers, the kiosk owner, an officer for the office (No police!), a woman and a child

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

The most important wish I have concerning Lego buildings is that there should be of course further more buildings in the more modern style like the last hospital or the police station - but there should be some buildings in the older style (like e. g. the town hall in the amazing Town Plan). The older styled buildings would be very important mainly for a hopefully bigger train station or an old styled post office.

I've got a new idea:

What about a smugglers' boat?!

Smugglers' Motor Boat

a smugglers' motor boat similar to 6679 but a bit bigger and with a shed to store the smugglers' wares

including a box with guns, a box with gold nuggets, a handy and some weapons

minifigs: two smugglers

That would enhance the whole Harbor theme, don't you think?

Other ideas, comments, ...? :wink::sweet:

Klaus-Dieter

Lately we've seen that Castle and Star Wars are each getting a really large set with loads of minifigs.

This would also be nice for City. I know we allready have Town Plan and stuf, but I feel we need something really big also with like 25 minifigs (as in the Death Star). Maybe a shopping- or sports centre?

Dr. Brick

A bank. A bank with bank robbers! Honestly, as little crime there is in LEGO City, one'd be surprised at how large the police force is!

Hmm, someone said a smugler boat, that would have been great. A car chase set (a police car and an escape vehicle) would also be nice.

Lately we've seen that Castle and Star Wars are each getting a really large set with loads of minifigs.

This would also be nice for City. I know we allready have Town Plan and stuf, but I feel we need something really big also with like 25 minifigs (as in the Death Star). Maybe a shopping- or sports centre?

Dr. Brick

I totally agree with you, Dr. Brick!

As I mentioned some time ago, a mall would be totally awesome (but only if it is desgined not in CC style but similar to Town Plan) :wub: !

A bank. A bank with bank robbers! Honestly, as little crime there is in LEGO City, one'd be surprised at how large the police force is!

Hmm, someone said a smugler boat, that would have been great. A car chase set (a police car and an escape vehicle) would also be nice.

I totally agree wtih you, Freddie!

As I mentioned some time ago, too, a bank would be absolutely necessary. And if it comes with one or some bank robber(s) it would be really amazing :wub: ! And a car chase would be brilliant, too!

BTW: I wrote that with the smuggler boat - in my last post.

Klaus-Dieter

What subthemes we have so far...

-Fire

-Police

-Hospital

-Construction/public works

-Airport

-Harbor

-Coast guard

-Postal

-Trains

What we could have

-School

-Bank

-Smaller shops (Like gas station, and NOT Cafe Corner)

-More public works

-Winter (Snow plow, ski resort...)

-Government buildings

-Skyscrapers (This is CITY...)

Since most of the City Sub-themes, such as Fire, Police, Post, Construction, etc, seem to be going in the direction of government maintained organizations, perhaps the next logical step would be schools. (Or a bank...)

I know this has been suggested before but it opens up opportunities such as a bus, actual school building, a playground, or even a janitor with a tractor and other things...

Dp8

Edited by darthperson8

What we could have

-School

-Bank

-Smaller shops (Like gas station, and NOT Cafe Corner)

-More public works

-Winter (Snow plow, ski resort...)

-Government buildings

-Skyscrapers (This is CITY...)

Since most of the City Sub-themes, such as Fire, Police, Post, Construction, etc, seem to be going in the direction of government maintained organizations, perhaps the next logical step would be schools. (Or a bank...)

I know this has been suggested before but it opens up opportunities such as a bus, actual school building, a playground, or even a janitor with a tractor and other things...

Dp8

I totally agree with you, darthperson8!

Although I'd of course prefer a bank over a school I think that a school with a bus would be a set mainly JFOLs would really like :wink: .

Klaus-Dieter

Since TLG will probaby release a new hospital next year I browsed through BS and found that:

hosipital_1.jpg

In my opinion the/a new hospital should look like that! :thumbup:

Two garages, the emergency ward and the entrance downstairs, a sickroom, an operating room and a room for the doctors an nurses to relax upstairs and another sickroom totally upstairs.

I personally would prefer a hospital in size and price similar to this year's police office in order to get more rooms, more interior and equpment and much more minifigs :wink: !

What do you think?

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I personally would prefer a hospital in size and price similar to this year's police office in order to get more rooms, more interior and equpment and much more minifigs :wink: !

Klaus-Dieter

I also suspect we'll get a new hospital next year, but I doubt we'll get anything as big as the new Police HQ - we haven't even had a fire station as large as the last two police stations, and that seems to be a very popular City subtheme (the 07 Fire HQ selling 500,000+ units). I do think we might see a larger building on flat baseplates though.

TLC seems to produce themes with some action-oriented idea driving them and the main focus on vehicles with maybe one large building, so sadly I doubt at a retail level we'll see malls, parks, schools etc (unless there is the potential for them to be eaten by large animals or invaded by criminals!) but a large bank seems a natural fit and would go well with all the Police based stuff.

I've got an Idea for some kind of a huge S@H-Release, which is somewhat crossed between Nautic/Coastguard and a zoo theme. Would require a smaller mold to the old Dolphin mold, as baby.

Dolphinarium

Huge set with a building loosely based on the Nuremberg dolphinarium Arena requires high ceiling and steep sloping roof)

Interior:

smaller octagonal indoor pool with scientific equipment in a lower structure connected by a hinge to the large one, larger pool with rows of seats for 10-20 minifigs and a cash desk besides on the other bigger part, some balls hanging from the ceiling. (complex 3-rope structure connected by technic axle as they should be moved up and down, to simulate jumps, 4-wide area with an 6x2-wide lowering for the trainers) has to be a 4-wall building, which can be opened at the smaller area by hinges and at the higher structure side by side for playability.

A second building as some kind of snack bar with open backside (kitchen area, some outdoor places to sit).

Then a larger outdoor pool area with a body of water, including stands for the trainers, BURP background surrounding besides the presentation area and a tribune seating another 10-20 minifigs.

Includes 3 trainers, a doctor for the animals, a stockman,a cashier and 10 spectators, 4 children, chef. 7 figs for each tribune, 2 sea lions (minifig-scale mold or small brick built), one baby dolphin, 5 dolphins, weighing in at 21 minifigs and 8 animals.

Price would be something like 199,99€ in the range of about 2000-2500 pcs, due to 4-wall building and the outdoor area altough with mostly BURP backdrop.

mFg Widdi

PS: Since I can't locate this buildings topic anymore (Real world buildings, I'll put the pic in here)

img_0045.jpg

This is what I mean with architecture. This one was built in early 70s. But a Lego version doesn't need to be that complex (mosaic at the walls), this would rise pieces in 5000s

Edited by Widdi

That's a great idea, Widdi! :oh::thumbup:

A dolphinarium would be :oh::wub: ! Some zoo set in general would be awesome! I really don't understand why TLG doesn't release farm, zoo and circus sets in the City theme since it seems that the Playmobil sets which are based on these themes sell very well :sceptic: ?!

By the way: It would be a good idea to write this idea in the document of TLG and sent it to copmike. :wink: (More information can be found on the frontpage.)

Klaus-Dieter

That's exactly the things i want! Stores, shops, all kind of civilistic buildings...also a museum would be great, i think! Imagine rooms full of relicts from castle and adventurers thems, put under glass :wub: I'm off now again, continuing building the imperial star destroyer which finally came today :tongue:

Here are some new (and some old, too) ideas for new City themes/sets I filled into the document for TLG, too:

Octan Oil Company

The "Octan Oil Company" theme includes nearly everything which is part of oil production, its transport and converting.

Octan Oil Rig

oil rig with office, bedroom and storage room, little heliport, crane with diving bell and "tower" (where the surplus oil burns up); including little helicopter and life boat, 5 minifigs

Octan Oil Harbor

oil harbor with little oil refinery, big oil tanker (ship) and landing stage; including little truck for tranporting oil barrels, 5 minifigs

Octan Road Tanker

little road tanker with trailer; including one minifig

Seaside Holidays

The "Seaside" theme is a theme which includes everything which has to do with holidays and relaxation at the beach. It's similar to the great "Paradisa" theme of the nineties.

Beach Hotel

beach hotel (first floor: entrance, little kitchen and restaurant with terrace, second floor: two guestrooms and bathroom), little swimming pool; including convertible and 5 minifigs

Seaside

beach in Caribbean style with beach bar, two little change rooms, big sunshades and sunloungers; including an ice cream seller's trolley and 5 minifigs

Coast Guard Surveillance Station

CG surveillance station with landing stage and little office with first aid room; including little hovercraft, off-road vehicle, little "stand", surfboard, 4 minifigs

City Center

The "City Center" theme consists of - like the name already says - buildings and additional stuff you can find in the center of every city.

Main Street (see picture of my LDD MOC)

three houses (bakery with café; green grocer with kitchen and little room upstairs; post office with office); including delivery van with doors, six minifigures

Hotel

hotel with entrance, receipt, little restaurant, two guest rooms and a bath room; including a black limousine with doors, five minifigures

Bank

bank with desk, strongroom and office(s); including a security car with doors, a security officer, two bankers, a civilian and a bank robber

Housing Area

The "Housing Area" includes everything which is part of a good housing area: some apartment houses, a bus stop, a little kiosk and a school.

Modern Twin House (see picture of my LDD MOC)

modern twin house (living room, kitchen, bed room, children's room), sun terrace, big garden; including a car with doors and four minifigs

Rich People's Villa

villa (big living room, office, bed room, bath room), sun terrace, swimming pool, big garden with big fence and gate; including a limousine with doors, four minifigs

Bus Stop

bus stop with little office and benches; including a bus (six stuck wide and with doors), a bicycle and four minifigs

Farm

The "farm" theme is a theme which includes everything which has to do with a nice big farm.

Harvester

harvester with doors, turnable cutting unit; including a hayfork, some tools; one minifig

Big Farm

farmhouse with little garden, cot with barn; including a tractor with fork on its frontside, cows, pigs, a dog, some tools, a hayfork, agricultural equipment; four minifigs

Silo

silo; including a tractor with trailer, hayfork; two minifigs

Winter Sports

The "Winter Sports" theme consists of everything you can think about when making sports in the snowy mountains.

Mountain Rescue HQ

HQ (two garages, office, relaxation room, first aid room), helicopter airfield; including big landrover with doors, little landrover with doors, helicopter, equipment; 4 minifigs

"Piste Plate" (sorry, I only know the german word "Pistenwalze")

a "piste plate" to prepare the piste for the skiers and snowboarders; including some tools and a shovel; one minifig

Ski Lift And Ski Hut

ski lift (power functions), ski hut (restaurant with terrace, two guest rooms) and piste; including equipmentfor skiers and snowboarders; six minifigs

Camping

The "Camping" theme consists of everything you can think about which has to do with camping.

Camping Ground

house (washroom, kiosk and reception), "gate" with barrier, meadow with shrubs and trees; including a campmobile with doors and interior, tent, two bicycles, equipment; five minifigs

Car With Caravan

car with doors, caravan with doors and interior; including bicycle, equipment; two minifigs

Tent At The Beach

tent, nice beach landscape; including equipment, bicycle, surfboard; three minifigs

Maritime Passenger Transport

The "Maritime Passenger Transport" theme consists of everything which has to do with traveling around in the world with a big passenger ship - but only with making a short trip with a motor yacht, too. It perfectly goes with some new kind of Paradisa theme and with all maritime sets in general.

Passenger Ship "Freedom Of The Legoland"

passenger ship (guest rooms, restaurant, bridge) with swimming pool, landing stage; including two lifeboats, equipment; 8 minifigs (perhaps as S@H Exclusive)

Jacht Harbor

jacht harbor with little piers, garage, caf

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I think it would be great to see this things on Lego Sets: :sweet:

-Big store

-Supermarket

-Gym

-Restaurant (maybe the return of the pizzeria?)

-Clothes-shop

-Pet shop

-Bar

-Urban Bus

-Barber-shop

I totally agree with you, BlueBard! :thumbup:

We already posted most of the ideas you mentioned yet -but that doesn't matter. :wink:

Nevertheless one thing is completely new to me: The pet shop. Great idea! :thumbup:

I really would like to see TLG releasing a set like this! Do only think about all the pets TLG could include without having to produce new molds :wink: : Parrots, monkeys, dogs, cats, hares and mice (I don't think that someone would like to buy a spider, a crocodile or a shark :laugh: ).

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

A dolphinarium would be ! Some zoo set in general would be awesome! I really don't understand why TLG doesn't release farm, zoo and circus sets in the City theme since it seems that the Playmobil sets which are based on these themes sell very well

I think it has to do with what audience TLC is aiming for. I believe that while Playmobile sells really well in europe, it isn't a big contender in the USA at all (the only store I've ever seen it at here is in Target). That is because american kids are very action-obsessed, while Playmobile is not.

I think the general rule is that TLC is trying to please America above all the other countries - probably because this country is far bigger than most european countries. It's disappointing, I know, but I dunno if there's anything we can do about it. :sceptic:

~~END~~

I'm not sure why TLG stays away from simple sets like Circus and Zoo, but I agree that Playmobile is hard to find. I've only seen it in Targets(as mentioned) and specialty toy shops that sell niche toys. Typically these specialty shops don't sell Lego at all.

I can only scratch my head at why Lego has such a hard time coming up with Town sets other then the Fire/Police/Ambulance etc remakes. Take one drive through your local town/city etc and you se SO many things that would make great Lego sets. Supermarkets, arcades, DIY stores, restaurants, car lots, apartment buildings, offices, athletic stadiums, schools, car washes, gas stations, movie theaters, etc. etc.

What's funny is that some of these places would happily sponser a set with their logos. I have to believe that McDonalds would gladly allow TLG to use their logos on toy aimed at kids. What about a TRU exclusive TRU store set? :tongue:

The pet shop. Great idea! :thumbup:

I really would like to see TLG releasing a set like this! Do only think about all the pets TLG could include without having to produce new molds :wink: : Parrots, monkeys, dogs, cats, hares and mice (I don't think that someone would like to buy a spider, a crocodile or a shark :laugh: ).

Lego hares?! Oh, do you mean the big Belville rabbits? They're too big for being hares I think.

What about a TRU exclusive TRU store set? :tongue:

That would be funny. Lots of products could be marketed that way, even M#?@*!ks, which TLC would not want! :tongue:

:skull:

I've been thinking about this ever since the modular town Factory kits started coming out; how about a modular designed updated police precinct\station? It could have that raised desk for when they check criminals in, offices, an interrogation room and criminal lock-ups. Maybe it could even have some lamposts outside the front steps and a retro cop car.

I would like to see a TV station Lego set with Newsroom, Helicopter, and Mobile TV Studio. It would have all kinds of equipment such as TV cameras, microphones, video tapes, weather radar, and the newsroom set complete with anchor desk, sports center, and weather center. It would include a few TV camera operators, news anchormen and women, and some meteorologists. I realize what Lego City lacks is an Eyewitness News team, since the last set with that theme was released in 1997/98. If they were to release that Lego set or something similar, it would give Lego City something quite different from the usual Policemen, Firemen and Doctors.

Something like this....

6553-1.jpg

...or this...

6661-1.jpg

...but with the modern looks of other Lego City Sets plus a building featuring the newsroom and anchor desk.

It would fill a much-needed niche in Lego City. Just imagine...WLGO-TV 7 (or KLGO-TV 7) Eyewitness News.

Edited by Justin

sounds like a good idea, the adults can add more realism to their cities and kiddies can have their fast paced shootouts.

also, i'd like a cable transmitter satellite dish.

A few more ideas I had in mind for new Lego City sets.

A modernized contemporary version of 6390/10041 Main Street, Main Street II featuring a more realistic urban setting with sleek, beefed-up civilian and construction vehicles and an upscale hotel which can be built as "completed" or "under construction" just like the original two. It would also contain two dark gray road plates and a streetlight similar to the one in the Batmobile Lego set. A set like that would complement any town or city layout and be a perfect companion set to 10184 Town Plan.

Dog Catcher - This set would be an offshoot of the Lego City Police line of building sets. It would probably include a dog catcher with a dark gray version of the Fabuland nets (which are currently used as jellyfishing nets in the Lego SpongeBob SquarePants theme), and two dogs for the dog catcher to chase after. The dog catcher's vehicle will be similar in design to the police vans and ambulances in the Lego City theme.

Edited by Justin