2 minutes ago, Mechbuilds said:

They get attached to the frame by the axle holes in the beam to axle connector. The diff gets between the axles. Using CV joints combined with U joints so the axles can slide inwards as the portal hub moves up and down.
This way the tyre can only go up and down and not swing outward and inward. Spring is put to the axle. 

I think the upper connector in the front portal hubs should be switched around to reduce sticking.

Benefit is a moc that's completely level as one tyre is lifted up on top of a rock or something. 
It's all in theory. Don't have the parts and time to test it in real life. But this could be an idea that somebody could improve upon. 

Don't want to be rude... But build and test it throughly in real life and show us that it works.

I can already tell you those axles will slide out over time unless they are fixed firmly. Also how will you get a drive to the hubs? Also, the further the sliding axle is from the wheel center, the higher the probability the whole thing just bends and not slides...

While ideas are nice on paper, they don't mean much when they don't work in real life. I've seen so many people design something in LDD which simply doesn't work in real life.

3 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Don't want to be rude... But build and test it throughly in real life and show us that it works.

I can already tell you those axles will slide out over time unless they are fixed firmly. Also how will you get a drive to the hubs? Also, the further the sliding axle is from the wheel center, the higher the probability the whole thing just bends and not slides...

While ideas are nice on paper, they don't mean much when they don't work in real life. I've seen so many people design something in LDD which simply doesn't work in real life.

>> Don't want to be rude... But build and test it throughly in real life and show us that it works.  
-If you have the parts, you can test it. 

>> I can already tell you those axles will slide out over time unless they are fixed firmly.
-Those axles have end stops.. Just put a beam or something on top of it and the axles can't slide out. 

>> Also how will you get a drive to the hubs?
-Already said CV joints. Those things have 1 stud of in and out slide. Should be plenty enough. 

>> Also, the further the sliding axle is from the wheel center, the higher the probability the whole thing just bends and not slides...
- This is true. But it also depends on wheel size. Perhaps arocs sized wheels will minimize the bending. But also since the axles are supported from top and bottom, the axle itself shouldn't bend.. It's just the portal hub that will have issues. But it should work depending on moc size and weight. 

>> While ideas are nice on paper, they don't mean much when they don't work in real life. I've seen so many people design something in LDD which simply doesn't work in real life.
- True in some cases. But i think this would work since the axle that the portal hub slides on is secured from both ends firmly to the chassis, the thing should work in real life. 

I'm working on something else currently and all my parts are preoccupied. 
Also instead of using portal hubs, you can use normal hubs instead. Just keep in mind to use smaller tyres and if the moc is bigger, you'll need to have 6-10 wheels instead of going 4 wheels. 

On 1/21/2020 at 2:26 AM, I_Igor said:

@Beck I suggest you to use new 7 x 11 frames to make axle more stiffer (and simpler) :wink:

The 7x11 frame is the wrong dimension; I would need a 9x10 frame minimum.

Here is my own revelation. 

Semi truck rear axle

klNWSIxl.png

Features:
-Durable construction. 
-Very compact.

Note: Flip the springs so the black part is facing up and the gray part facing down for better results. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

2 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

@Zerobricks
1:35 

There you can see axle suspension and how it works. Only up and down movement.. Sadly the example on this video is not driven. 

I see, and that design would fall/collapse immediatelly at any bigger load, sorry.

Edited by Zerobricks

@Mechbuilds I see you are using axles for a guide for vertical stabilization but the axle on the wheel side will slide to the left or right like a swing unless you change thisLego Technic, Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Center Pin Hole   into this  Lego Technic, Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 4 Pinsand IDK if those "guides" are strong enough.. keep us updated!!  

Edited by sirslayer

21 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

@Mechbuilds I see you are using axles for a guide for vertical stabilization but the axle on the wheel side will slide to the left or right like a swing unless you change thisLego Technic, Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Center Pin Hole   into this  Lego Technic, Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 4 Pinsand IDK if those "guides" are strong enough.. keep us updated!!  

No it will not. It's a 4 long axle with a stopper. It cannot slide sideways. And you can't use that 48989.png part because it will need to tilt sideways. That's why 87082.png is used. 

Here is a more heavily reinforced version i'm using for a truck i'm building:

9ZsbWQgl.jpgow7KMIjl.jpg
iDGFbQBl.jpgSK9YTeOl.jpg

Note: The LDD version will also work fine. 

3mDPZDrl.jpg Side compressed. 

It has no play on it. Only very smooth up and down movement. Even compressing only one side is extremely smooth. 

Your first set of pictures didn't include the two extra set but anyway your ground clearance is a bit low 

Edited by sirslayer

This suspension looks good, I like it :-)

I can imagine it to be used for flatbad-trucks.where you need a small silhouette and ground clearance is not that of an issue. 

I like it also, I can do a remix to fit my needs but I believe he is using 49.5mm tires?? half a stud length distance almost a dust sweeper :) 

@Mechbuilds just one friendly advice - please consider what @Zerobricks wrote; my example of the same principle - I have started my Fastrac project with suspension arms from Arocs and system ended wobeling so I had to change approach and use ball joints from Unimog to make it stiff enough and suspension travel is acceptable :wink:

10 hours ago, sirslayer said:

I like it also, I can do a remix to fit my needs but I believe he is using 49.5mm tires?? half a stud length distance almost a dust sweeper :) 

2 studs. Not half a stud. It has 2 studs of ground clearance. 

I thought I would share the axle I made today for a build I have been working on for awhile now.  The axle is not driven and does not have steering, but the suspension is unique. It simulates air ride suspension with bags.  The bags themselves on the axles are not to scale, but I worked with what I had in lego parts.  The axles have not been tested under heavy load, there is a good chance I will be making a stronger version 2. I hope you like, comment if you have questions or concerns.  Thanks!

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Few years ago I saw that air suspension solution on rear driven tandem truck axle, so it is nice that you implement it.

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

I thought I would share the axle I made today for a build I have been working on for awhile now.  The axle is not driven and does not have steering, but the suspension is unique. It simulates air ride suspension with bags.  The bags themselves on the axles are not to scale, but I worked with what I had in lego parts.  The axles have not been tested under heavy load, there is a good chance I will be making a stronger version 2. I hope you like, comment if you have questions or concerns.  Thanks!

Good idea, bout you have to fix the bearings, the lower hole is not attached anywhere.

I am not sure if it was similar, if so I am sorry. 
It is an axle that allows you to make independent suspension in a very narrow body. 
To drive them, two propeller shafts are required. Built for my new model.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

Edited by Samolot

@aminnichFantastic work on that axle. I wonder if it can be made to work if it was driven by using the same airbag principle. That would really help a lot with semi truck suspensions.

On a different note, what's it called when you have a 6x6 and the rear axles are connected to eachother by a beam that's pivoted in the middle? So when the front tire goes up, the rear goes down. And same sideways. 
Is it a pendular axle or what? 

I'm working on a semi truck again.. 

Thanks for the comment Mechbuilds!  This axle could be changed to add a driven aspect, but I think it would have to be scaled up to the Unimog wheels and tires for additional room for the diff and gearing between the axles.  Doing this would also make the air bags more "to scale" for the model.

This suspension looks amazing.. I wonder if this same suspension can be built with the older style hubs and the drive coming from the middle, eliminating the need for U joints. 
If anyone wants to take a crack at this? 
Would make a sick offroad truck.. 

I wonder why SuperkTechnic doesn't post here or have anywhere you can reply to hes work. All comments disabled everywhere.. 

as promised my Steered low profile axles. .io

49661493487_db9d8c86e7_c.jpg

There are some adjustment possibilitis on the gearracks. On the driven one a half stud shorter steering lever is possible. On the non driven the steering rack can mounted upside down or on the opsite.

The springs are from the light grey 6.5 shocks, the yellow ones are to long when compressed.

After quite a while, I have created a front suspension I am very happy with!

Screen%20Shot%202020-03-21%20at%2012.43.24%20PM.png

I am so proud of it that I have created an LXF file for people to download.

the setup features drive, steering, suspension, and a (disconnected) fake Inline 4 engine. It is very rigid and fits well with the Rally Car wheels. I hope to make a supercar with this suspension soon, but I have to create the rear suspension first!

Bricksafe with LXF

Edited by TechnicRCRacer