Yawgmoth

2015 LEGO Pirates Rumors and Discussion

I noticed the lack of gold coins... Pirates was a line we had as kids in the 80s and it just doesn't seem like Pirates without a treasure chest of coins!

I agree, pirates need gold. Those coin pieces must be super cheap too, as they don't need to snap onto anything. When did the coins disappear from sets?

I agree, pirates need gold. Those coin pieces must be super cheap too, as they don't need to snap onto anything. When did the coins disappear from sets?

That's actually not true. If you stack to of them, they'll fit into a clip (like a minifigure hand).

Good question. It looks like the only semi-recent sets they've been in have been Pirates or Pirates-related. A few in 2007, but the most recent being 2009's Shipwreck Hideout (6253) and the Imperial Flagship (10210) in 2010. Only 1 set in each of those, however, so that was a little stingy. The BSB had 4 sets on sprue (and I always saved the center piece as additional treasure- a big gold ingot!). pirate_blush.gif

So, it would make sense that if we were to get more of the lovely chrome gold coins it would be in this new Pirates wave... *fingers crossed*

Forest Ambush had pearl gold 1x1 round tiles as coins, as well as jewels, in the treasure chest. I'm guessing this will be more of the same. Chrome sadly seems to have gone away, maybe because it chips off so easily over time...

Forest Ambush had pearl gold 1x1 round tiles as coins, as well as jewels, in the treasure chest. I'm guessing this will be more of the same. Chrome sadly seems to have gone away, maybe because it chips off so easily over time...

Actually, that depends on how hard you play. My 2007-era chrome gold coins from Aqua Raiders II certainly got their full share of hard play, but they are still fully chromed.

My gold coins from 1997 are still fully chromed, but my chrome swords and breastplates from the same era arent faring quite as well.

Edited by 2maxwell

Actually, that depends on how hard you play. My 2007-era chrome gold coins from Aqua Raiders II certainly got their full share of hard play, but they are still fully chromed.

Fair enough, and I'd prefer chrome personally. I just don't think we're likely to see it in these sets.

Fair enough, and I'd prefer chrome personally. I just don't think we're likely to see it in these sets.

Yes, I'd agree. I really don't care for the 1x1 round tiles being used as coins, and even the pearl gold coins from POTC aren't great, but I'd still take 'em over the tiles. I'm expecting the former, but will quietly hold out hope for some version of the actual coin element!

I like these sets. I can understand why some people that have the 2009 sets are dissapointed and the fact they look a bit childish. But to me that don´t own any of the sets after the classic pirates in the early 90ths this isn´t a let down.

And I will be getting me and my boys some pirate sets. Or I wll get the solider sets for myself and the boys can have the pirates default_laugh_new.gif because I was always more of a bluecoat solider guy. :bonaparte:

I really like the uniforms the soliders have and that TLG included personal heroes (like the hatless solider with the white epaulette in the BB set) also for the soliders, something that wasn´t in my youth, back then the soliders were the bad guys and the pirates the good guys.

About the coins, the 10-20-30-40 sprue is gone. The 2013 Castle Dragon Mountain (70403), 2013 Castle Knights Accessory Set (850888), Classic Pirate Set (850839), 2013 Catle King's Castle (70404), Serious Play Starter Kit (2000414), and Serious Play Identity and Landscape Kit (2000430) all have the chrome gold bar and 1, 5, 10, and 20 coins, not on a sprue. Those were what was supposed to be in those PoTC sets, but many got the pearl gold version. These seem to be a replacement for the classic sprue.

Maybe the Treasure Island (70411) will have them, as we have only seen the early box mock-up prelim.

About the coins, the 10-20-30-40 sprue is gone. ... all have the chrome gold bar and 1, 5, 10, and 20 coins, not on a sprue. Those were what was supposed to be in those PoTC sets, but many got the pearl gold version. These seem to be a replacement for the classic sprue.

Yes, I had seen those stand-alone coins in some sets, but it seems a lot of the databases have them listed as the pearl gold so I wasn't really sure if they ended up being included in those newer sets or not. Now that you mention it, I can totally see the 4 coins plus 1 gold bar being a fine replacement for those of us who saved the sprue! Definitely need to see how the Treasure Island set turns out.

I do agree with Mencot that having the individually identifiable soldiers without hats is actually a play feature of sorts. Again, though, I'll be optimistic that they'll include uniform headgear for them as extra pieces in those sets. default_blink.gif

After my dark age, 6248 Volcano Island was one of the first sets I tracked down. I think my original copy was actually my brother's, but it was and is one of my favorite sets anyway. I love that the new Treasure Island looks to be a fresh take on a classic. Nothing like secret treasures hidden behind brick-built skulls pirate_laugh2.gif

About the coins, the 10-20-30-40 sprue is gone. The 2013 Castle Dragon Mountain (70403), 2013 Castle Knights Accessory Set (850888), Classic Pirate Set (850839), 2013 Catle King's Castle (70404), Serious Play Starter Kit (2000414), and Serious Play Identity and Landscape Kit (2000430) all have the chrome gold bar and 1, 5, 10, and 20 coins, not on a sprue. Those were what was supposed to be in those PoTC sets, but many got the pearl gold version. These seem to be a replacement for the classic sprue.

Maybe the Treasure Island (70411) will have them, as we have only seen the early box mock-up prelim.

Huh, didnt realize that. Thanks for the info gedren! But I agree, the new coins and a bar would be a very good replacement for the coins and sprue. Im just hoping we get them and not those horrid tiles.

Personally, the new sets didnt live up to my hopes, but Im still very excited. The torso prints look great. Cant wait to pick up a few of those new officer torsos. I'll be getting the fort and outpost for sure, just for the figs if nothing else, and probably the Brick Bounty as well. I never got a ship when I was younger and only got the IFS from the 2009 line and am definitely in the market for a pirate ship. Although Im a bit disappointed by the regular red over dark red, I like the stern on this better than the BBB. Also, it might just be me, but it looks like theres more space between the masts in this set. Seems a bit roomier.

Edited by 2maxwell

Also, it might just be me, but it looks like theres more space between the masts in this set. Seems a bit roomier.

Actually, if you look at where the ropes attach to the side of the ship from the sails, they're in exactly the same place. The basic layout of the ship is exactly the same, only the details are different. pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by David Thomsen

Wow! New Bluecoats! That's what I wanted to see!

Hmm... it's been a while and my LDD-skills are a bit rusty, but in order to celebrate this new line I quickly made a new flag:

flagbluenew.jpg

Should be obvious that I like that new flag... :pir-grin:

Alright, what to say to those new sets... (note: I'm talking here through my Bluecoat-tinted glasses :pir_laugh2:)

Looking at the pictures at first I was hugely disappointed. Just a few sets, looking like a one-wave installment, half hearted designs, one ship only, nothing comparable to 6276... I also was a bit confused about the 'reintroduction' of the color Royal Blue, for I had assumed a shift to Dark Blue...

But on a second look I really like these sets! Times have changed, and it would be unfair to compare them to those sets of the early 90s. It's not going to be a major line, maybe just a placeholder until the next POTC-sets, just 'to have something on the shelves'. But taking this into consideration, these sets are nice. They are well balanced in terms of parts assortment, Bluecoats-Pirates minifigs ratio (there're THREE soldiers with 'The Brick Bounty'- Yeah!), so playability is high, the accessoires are must-haves (new flags, torsos, bandanas!). OK, the gold seems to be missing... well, I got plenty of that ('preciousssss' :pir_laugh2:). But most of all I like that this line is merely a decent makeover, what's going to make it easy to implement the old-style Bluecoats line (In shame I have to admit I was prepared to sell my old Bluecoat army in favor of a new line... but no more)!!

My favorite sets are 'Shipwreck Defense' (to me an even better army builder set than the 2009 'Cannon Battle', since it includes great ship building material as well as some rock-work parts, a cannon with proper wheels and two muskets) and 'Soldiers Outpost' (lovely little island, a big flag would have made it superb).

About 'The Brick Bounty'... well... I much like the shape of it, it doesn't look as cartoonish as 'Brickbeard's Bounty', plus it comes with three soldiers... and there's that 2x3 window, more precisely that sticker on it... does anyone of you know if that window-pattern already exists?? I must has diz! :pir-grin: OMG, seems, I have to get myself a pirate ship!

The female soldier aka. 'Governor's Daughter'... I like the idea! As for Medium Blue (?)... will see, maybe even good for a regular uniform?

Oh, and about the 'missing' Soldiers' ship... it might not be anything, but on the box of 'The Brick Bounty' there's a little ship in the background, and it's clearly a three-masted one... fingers crossed for 2016, mateys!

So, to sum up: Thanks TLC for making these!

I don't think those two sets really go well together. But that's ok because I won't be buying it for the official build anyway.

I did a quick mock-up in LDD of 70410: Soldiers Outpost and 70412: Soldiers Fort to see what they would look like combined:

Thanks for this, it's interesting to behold. It improves Soldiers Fort, but the combined structure is still a lot less impressive than the 2009 edition. I especially think that the lack of baseplates hurts 70412 a lot and make sit look cheap and flimsy.

I don't mind the lack of baseplates at all, if they had to choose between putting more detail in the water and more detail in the fort, I'd rather they choose the fort.

Also I feel that, for playability, the lack of baseplates allows the boats to get in closer to the fort.

Edited by David Thomsen

I don't mind the lack of baseplates at all, if they had to choose between putting more detail in the water and more detail in the fort, I'd rather they choose the fort.

Too bad they chose neither, eh? pirate_tong.gif