Rick

2014 CREATOR Houses Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I'm very intrigued by this. I think it starts to set the tone for more "playable" modular buildings really.

I'm liking this set. I'd use it not as a part pack but like a mom and pop shop on the outskirts of my downtown modular core.

I like Wodanis' thought here -- If you're not into play, but like the look... there are other ways to work it into your modular city. You need something to look over to see your city. :wink:

I must say that I have mixed feelings on this set. I love it and will definitely be buying it (quite likely more than once if the price is right), but at the same time I was expecting more after hearing the description and before I saw the pictures.

A true modular is 16-32 studs wide and 32 studs deep, so I was hoping for two 16x16 plates for each building. Instead we have two 8x16 plates, and with some of that space given to the sidewalk/gutter area in front and back of the building, the buildings themselves aren't very large. When open, these should fit in well with LEGO City, but when closed they will be a bit small for a modular layout. Based on this photo, I find it hard to believe that this would be a $100 set. Compare it to Pet Shop, and for only 50% more money than that you are getting quite a few more bricks.

On the plus side, this set has a nice mix of colors for the bricks and roof, a good number of windows and doors, and even the window frames come in a variety of sizes and colors. This is an awesome parts pack, but somehow I still think it feels like a $70US set.

I concur with meyerc13 on price point. Honestly, this doesn't look like a 1000 part set.

Have to give TLG some credit --- they're looking for ways to take what excites the fans in its multiple theme lines as well as people who just want a great parts pack and continuing to find ways to deliver and build exciting new product ideas.

I think I can see a bit more interior details through the windows--maybe a ceiling light? Liking the barbecue and little roof garden; now I'm even more intrigued to see a photo of the insides of these things...

While admittedly we still haven't seen the inside, the more pictures I see of this set the more it's in danger of falling off my 2014 buy-list. As has been stated, it doesn't look like a 1000 piece set. Disappointing.

Disappointing appears to be the word across the board for Lego's 2nd half of the year.......we totally need to see inside to truly judge this set. :look:

Disappointing appears to be the word across the board for Lego's 2nd half of the year.......we totally need to see inside to truly judge this set. :look:

I keep seeing that claim tossed around but, if the outside is a huge disappointment and the inside is (pretty clearly from the size of the set) too small to actually hold that much, I think we can pretty safely judge it at this point- no amount of interior detailing is going to change the fact that there's not enough there to do what I wanna do with it. That said, it's mostly this that's a disappointment for me. Well, this and the pricing on the Arctic sets. Lots of other stuff looks absolutely awesome for the second half of 2014.

Is it me or do the colours of this set just seem not to compliment each other in any way?

I'd also agree with this. I can't put my finger on why exactly but there's just something "off" about it.

Edited by Hrafnblod

Now seeing the inside of the apartment, the cafe will definitely get a makeover. The apartment of the bike shop is ok, but the cafe's is awful. A dresser and chair? No bed? No kitchen? This area will be replaced with about 3 or 4 tables, and the downstairs will fully be the kitchen. I may leave the bike shop apartment alone, or I may make it something else. Maybe a repair area for the bikes, or a shop that sells accessories, or maybe a completely different business. Or maybe I'll leave it alone.

Edit: I can fit about 4 tables on the roof! It's perfect, a rooftop cafe! Think about the summer- they'll be blooming with business! And in the winter and fall, they can eat inside on the 2nd floor!

Edited by HomerJSimpson

At least it has some interior......so that was a tap set up stairs in the bike shop. :blush:

I'll be mainly downloading the instructions to build all of them.....with a few tiger changes. :grin:

Yeah, these two buildings give mixed feelings. It's nice to have some town buildings, but there is something about them that makes the buildings not look quite finished. And the interior is not to cheer about. But hey, we are MOC'ers and MOD'ers! These buildings can provide us with some ideas and even more bricks. E.g. a bike, tools, a tap, new flower pot, an ATM, cashiers (though big ones...), drawers... I think I will buy it.

So we've seen the interior. Now can I say I'm completely underwhelmed? :tongue: Probably won't pick this up at all unless it goes on a really good sale.

But remember our imaginations can out do even the creator design team.......so we could do better job on the interiors right ? :wink:

There's something odd and charming about the buildings being asymmetrical like that. If you think about it being roughly half as many bricks as the Pet Shop (and remember the Pet Shop had that cutesy "unfinished" apartment to make up for its lack of interior in most of the reddish building) it actually does seem like a convincing 1000-piece set, to my mind anyway. I wonder what 1000 pieces applied to just one building would look like in an official set...

Yeah, these two buildings give mixed feelings. It's nice to have some town buildings, but there is something about them that makes the buildings not look quite finished. And the interior is not to cheer about.

I agree, but to be honest: this goes for all Creator buildings so we should not really be surprised.

A must have building for me this year is the Prisian Restaurant. I was keeping an eye on this Creator set as an extra, but won't be getting it at the RRP. Maybe if it gets discounted sometime in the future.

Being a MOCer I don't care for the buildings design... i need the pieces, and with this set I can have a large selection of "buildings" pieces without spending too much.

Edited by SalvoBrick

I have to admit to being disappointed by the interiors as well... there's a lot more they could have done with a space even that small. The worst is the bike shop, which has a couple of tools and a ramp where I was expecting a workshop. The living space above the bike shop is okay, but still could have had a bit more. I still think I'll enjoy building these though, with eight individual room halves to build as well as exterior details.

I know I could MOC more furniture, but Lego for me is stress relief and a distraction, something I can listen to music while I follow the instructions and think about other things. In spite of my disappointment at the interiors, I'm still going to get this and enjoy building it alongside the rest of my Creator town.

When I saw the first grainy pictures of this set I wanted it. When I saw the hi-rez pictures I liked it even more. Now the close-up video just confirms my desire. The building size is nice, the price-point is great, the piece count is just right. I look forward to this set and I hope this is just a start for more similar Creator buildings to come.

I'm in!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I've vacillated backwards and forwards on these sets since the earliest pictures. I'm beginning to think that:

• They're interesting Sets in their own right - small configurable town buildings with plenty of playability.
  • They are a good gateway drug introduction to the Modular buildings range.
  • Good start for personalization and Modding.
  • Good parts for a decent price.

I'd prefer it, of course, if they were a little deeper so that the interior could be more sophisticated, but I think with the addition of a sidewalk in front and a little bit of fettling they won't look too out of place in any Modular cityscape.

I like them!

p.s. I think a Eurobricks competition around Modding these sets would be a lot of fun!

I probably won't get this, as it doesn't offer me much that I don't have and $ happens to be tight right now. The price isn't the deal-per-piece that you'd hope for in a creator set.

However, it looks like a great kit. Probably one of the best crossover (creator to town) sets in recent memory. Folks who compare it to Modular buildings will of course be disappointed, but it was never intended to be a Modular kit. From a parts perspective, I'd probably just save up for a modular, but kudos to LEGO for giving us a couple of nice buildings that will fit in well with a LEGO town setup.

I think this set is a cool idea. From what I've read here, AFOLs are likely to get this set and use it either for parts or for MOCs. They may also see it as a couple of barebones buildings great for customization. Lego probably kept this set's price below $100 for that reason. An experienced builder sees a price tag over that, and the first thought is as someone mentioned previously, "For $50 more, I could get a modular."

Now, for someone just getting into Lego, this is their gateway drug, as eurotrash posted earlier. The set isn't terribly pricey. It doesn't require a huge financial commitment compared to modulars, but has that basic feel. It can also be a transitional set for a younger builder; say, a kid who enjoyed the Friends sets, but is growing out of that phase and wants a set that has a more mature style.

This set "also makes a great gift!" A parent or friend buying this set as a gift might not be intimidated by the price, and the set is generic enough for the buyer to feel safe giving it to someone without knowing that person's preferences.

I think this set will appeal to a wide spectrum of customers, and I'm one of them.

Since when did the creator house line (which this set is closest to) became about interiors?

I will get the bike and cafe set over any current and past years creator houses thats for sure.

Its a fresh idea from tlg, ironically that was actually discussed here in eurobricks, what if tlg released an entry level modular like set.

I like it. Excited even for its alternate builds.

Any pictures of the alternate builds?

Since when did the creator house line (which this set is closest to) became about interiors?

I will get the bike and cafe set over any current and past years creator houses thats for sure.

Its a fresh idea from tlg, ironically that was actually discussed here in eurobricks, what if tlg released an entry level modular like set.

I like it. Excited even for its alternate builds.

Any pictures of the alternate builds?

There are larger pics on page five.

I agree with you in that this is a fine idea from TLG, and I look forward to the new Creator subtheme if it's going to be anything like this. I have always liked Creator sets due to their MOD / MOC friendly nature. I don't think sparsely furnished interiors is such a big deal, as those things are easy to make with spare parts anyway.

I am looking forward to getting a few of these sets. They are perfect for MODs. I struggle to come up with original ideas, so this will certainly help my town.