The train station is looking excellent! What a great use for old paper boxes, I will have to try it for the next convention I go to.

Thank you!

Looking good so far, albeit at a snail-like pace. :tongue:

Can't wait to see the final product!

Thanks, it is coming along slowly, but at least I'm making progress!

I love the detail you put into it all!

Thank you, it has taken a long time to do this, but it's worth it.

EDITED 8/29/16: Added the collapsing bridge. The train parts are supposed to arrive today, so i'll give an major update when they are finished, depending on when they get here.

*insert steam whistle noise here*

29095752650_5005e4b98d_z.jpg

All aboard! Real life pictures of the trains are in the first post as of today, 9/1/16!

(sorry for the quintuple-bump, but the post keeps being edited to add new stuff!)

28807435784_d79f5a2e5d_z.jpg

LDD files have been added for most of the models to the first post, including the stagecoach above.

Enjoy!

Edited by Murdoch17

28812826444_38ab811737_z.jpg

As you can see, I have updated the 4-4-0 into a 4-6-0, and as such the pictures have been updated to reflect that in the main post.

(Updated LDD files and such are coming when MOcpages comes back online. also, sorry about the six in a row post / bump.)

I feel really bad about bumping this again, but here goes nothing:

29479740195_d5c6c4aeae_z.jpg

I've uploaded the yellow 4-4-0 steam loco and it's freight train to the first post, plus the LDD files are there too. Along with the fort and stagecoach, these will likely be gotten between now and New Years. The bridge and tunnel will have to wait a while longer, as I can't justify the hefty price tag for now. Maybe next spring it could happen, but I don't know if they will ever be built to be honest...

Nice to see some love for Western :classic:

The trains indeed look great! Looking forward to grabbing those LDDs when/if mocpages is ever going back up.

Murdoch, time I comment on this. Quite cool to see there are more people out here who care for western and work on a layout. So it's great to watch all of this a draw inspiration from it. Lot's of cool stuff to be found. All of this makes me feel like we should get a community build going. Alas, I doubt we're enough people who'd engage ...

That train is looking excellent!

Thank you! here is all three trains at once:

29397341432_68ba841603_z.jpg

Nice to see some love for Western :classic:

The trains indeed look great! Looking forward to grabbing those LDDs when/if mocpages is ever going back up.

Thanks, and MOCpages keeps going down more and more.... I hope that's not a bad sign, as all my LDD files are on there for the last 5 years!

Murdoch, time I comment on this. Quite cool to see there are more people out here who care for western and work on a layout. So it's great to watch all of this a draw inspiration from it. Lot's of cool stuff to be found. All of this makes me feel like we should get a community build going. Alas, I doubt we're enough people who'd engage ...

Thank you, I'm glad I'm helping keep the theme alive!

BUMP:

29325829320_955f876b55_z.jpg

I just added a proper town to the first post. This includes a saloon, general store, Bank, and Sheriff's office along with the LDD of it all.

Enjoy!

UPDATE:

picture link because EB picture-adding thing is broken

The Wild West layout is growing with this model inspired by Lone Ranger set 79108 (Stagecoach escape) as seen here at Brickset: Stage coach Escape The next item on my list is the four Western town buildings (general store, saloon, bank and sheriff's office) and are going to be gotten in early November.

Any thoughts?

On 9/29/2016 at 11:25 AM, BrickHat said:

The stagecoach looks pretty good. Are you going to use anything for the "ropes" that the "driver" uses with the horses?

By the way, I really like the 3 trains. The red one is my favorite!

I think i'll just use imaginary ropes.... also, do you mean this train? :grin:

29331437341_3d5bcf9594_z.jpg

I stole the picture from my comic as seen here in the Brick Flicks forum.

That's a very impressive layout, Murdoch17! :thumbup:

I really would like to see it not only designed digitally, but even built up in real life!

Btw: Already since a longer time I'm building up a Western layout, too. But only with the sets from 1996/97 and some Lone Ranger stuff, too. When the layout is complete, I'll start a topic and will show it. But that will for sure take minimum about one month (it's 6x7 32x32 plates huge).

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I have enjoyed perusing this thread before, but just saw that there had been updates since I last looked. I am liking the progress and expansion that is going on. I love the Wild West theme, and am always thrilled to see some nice Western Mocs be either digital or real. Keep up the good work. 

On 10/19/2016 at 2:57 PM, SilentWolf said:

I have enjoyed perusing this thread before, but just saw that there had been updates since I last looked. I am liking the progress and expansion that is going on. I love the Wild West theme, and am always thrilled to see some nice Western Mocs be either digital or real. Keep up the good work. 

On 10/17/2016 at 11:22 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

That's a very impressive layout, Murdoch17! :thumbup:

I really would like to see it not only designed digitally, but even built up in real life!

Btw: Already since a longer time I'm building up a Western layout, too. But only with the sets from 1996/97 and some Lone Ranger stuff, too. When the layout is complete, I'll start a topic and will show it. But that will for sure take minimum about one month (it's 6x7 32x32 plates huge).

Klaus-Dieter

Sorry for the late responses, but thank you guys for your support. the first post is being updated as we speak with new models and pictures, such as this modular Eads bridge, finished in St. Louis right in the middle of the Western period. (1874, to be exact).

32934686854_d36e681192_z.jpg

Slight bump:

Added new pictures for my updated freight train with yellow 4-4-0 steam loco. That steam loco's parts have started arriving, and should be built in real life soon, with pictures ti follow.

973pb2670c01.png

Also, the ghost soldiers in the new Silent Mary PoTC (set 71042) would work well for CSA soldiers from the American Civil War. 

15424pb01.png

I might just have to get a few of these with the old sheriff hat's from the LEGO Movie theme to make a Confederate prisoner in the my fort's jail cell.

six month BUMP: I updated the main post in almost every way, with a new freight train (it was actually built in may but I forgot to add it here. :blush:) and a updated tunnel, among other stuff.

34481215680_89d37f7cda_z.jpg

The trio of engine is all the ones I want to build for my Western layout.

37554137374_890373b6da_z.jpg

The tepees + fort and town are next on the list (in that order), after the parts for four of the carriages seen above arrive (the stagecoach is already built). Sadly, the double-track tunnel may never be constructed...

Enjoy!

BUMP:

33570334530_24beeb9175_z.jpg

The Army fort has been remade from this...

38432452302_d75d542223_z.jpg

...to this, with the updated Fort Legoredo model is next on the build-list. Any thoughts on this update?

After three years of piecemeal acquisitions here and there, the Western layout is slowly coming together at last...

38433921816_9278c2f5be_z.jpg

Just some wild western wagons and a stagecoach. The Army ammunition wagon with cannon is inspired by set 6716 (covered wagon) while the stagecoach is a color-swapped version of 79108 (Stagecoach escape). The red delivery wagon is a snake-oil salesman's shop, while the two tan wagons are to be used in the western town I plan on building sometime next year.

24634158528_f105858c8d_z.jpg

This model features very slight modifications to set 31048 (Lakeside Lodge) to turn an already old-style log cabin into a more Wild Western style building. I simply removed the chair from the dock and cooking fire from out front of the dwelling.

The good thing about having two of this set is I get to use the one from a while ago that I had torn apart to make changes to the later finished one.  (Such as taking  most of the "glass" windows out and replacing them with opening frames and shutters. This works beautifully except in the one spot where the space was too small to make it work.)

24634158778_1c0fb6cec8_z.jpg

The inside features a rifle on the wall, a bottle of moonshine, a cup, wood stove, table with letter and pen, and a simple bed.

37995500005_8d73764298_z.jpg

This bridge design was originally downloaded by me (I don't remember the name of the original designer who created the bridge) from the LEGO Factory / Design By ME page in 2010-ish and was never built in real life due to questions about it's strength. I came across it again while looking at my MOCpage account's older files and made it into the version seen above using newer parts and a longer frame. The new version of the bridge fits any of my trains, and should fit all official LEGO trains except for double stack containers such as sets 10219 (Maersk Train) and 10170 (TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car).

Just messing around with some Wild West models I had forgotten about. The tepee is from set 79107, (Comanche Camp), the handcar and cactus are my own design, while the carriage is from a Brick-Link seller.

38887757014_4a9110932d_z.jpg

...and yes, the cover of the tepee is missing. it's not in LDD.

I really like the carriage, and since it's not your design, do you mind sharing how it's build?