piterx

Engineers of the forum please prove me wrong!

My fault, I don't have time to read all the comments, in this case there is no problem. But a linear motion doesn't help to solve the basic problem/idea of this topic. So I understand now, you wanted to show us a technic for linear motion with magnets, thanks for it.

Mass equals energy, at least that's what Einstein told us.

e=mc^2

Both magnets and springs have mass. And when they are on the surface of the earth, they also have weight.

:-)

Edited by Front

That's true, there is mass and energy in it. But only places where mass is actually transforming to energy in regular basis, are the sun and nuclear power stations.

;)

Edit. I should stop...

Edited by Tech-nick

Oh my.....

As someone already said, many of us has problems with the basic concepts of force, energy and power...

and we even want to mix special relativity here? That has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion.

Maybe it's time to read some basic physics books.

Tech nick is correct, it goes just for about 10-12 seconds, so i think it kind of failed :sceptic:

Maybe i'll give it another try :)

I will say this. Magnet strength increase as you get closer and closer to the magnet. If you want the magnets magnetic force at its maximum field strength it will need to be right next to the magnet. If the magnet is not moving then as while your moving away from the magnet the magnetic force is going down hill drastically. Which is the better force push or pull. Do you think this guy as strong as he is able pull the train do you think he can push the train from behind??

Think about it your trying to use a stationary magnet to push against a magnet train.

Edit: His hands are pulling his legs are pushing and body is at an angle. Every step he takes must be made on a wooden rail road tie. Never is there a point of weakness. It takes the entire strength of every part of his body to do that. Same can be said for a magnet.

Edited by Boxerlego

His hands are pulling his legs are pushing and body is at an angle. Every step he takes must be made on a wooden rail road tie. Never is there a point of weakness. It takes the entire strength of every part of his body to do that. Same can be said for a magnet.

A smart man would turn the engines on :D

For all we know the tracks could be sloped downhill ...

My money's on paper mache locomotive with a really good paint job :sweet:

You could make a donut type thing with the poles pointing to each other on the roof and the floor and on the craft and if you were to get it balanced you could( in a perfect world) get it to hover and push it once or twice to get it moving.

Edited by Bison

I believe that the only way to make a perpetual motion device is not by creating energy, but by making a machine that runs on something that can be found anywhere in the universe.

I believe that the only way to make a perpetual motion device is not by creating energy, but by making a machine that runs on something that can be found anywhere in the universe.

Like wind turbines and solor panals generate electricity, there might be a way of using gravity to do the same.

Like wind turbines and solor panals generate electricity, there might be a way of using gravity to do the same.

Nope. A gravity field has the same problems as the magnetic field discussed here. Energy has to be put into the system, for example lifting a stone

increases its potential energy, but you need to use the same amount to put it up there. Perpetual motion can't be achieved in an isolated system.

I'm not sure if the universe counts as an isolated system.

Y'all need to realise there ain't no free lunch.

Perpetual motion can't be achieved in an isolated system.

Correct me if I am wrong, but perpetual motion is the norm indeed, isnt It? It is just friction and other energy loses that prevent that for happening.

I thougth that in an infinite vacuum a moving marble would move forever in a straight line at constant velocity.

Correct me if I am wrong, but perpetual motion is the norm indeed, isnt It? It is just friction and other energy loses that prevent that for happening.

I thougth that in an infinite vacuum a moving marble would move forever in a straight line at constant velocity.

Wouldn't be very straight if there are gravitational fields in the universe pulling the marble away from its straight line.

Wouldn't be very straight if there are gravitational fields in the universe pulling the marble away from its straight line.

But then it isn't an infinite vaccum...

I guess perpetual motion might be possible in that sense. That is because it isn't doing any work. So it isn't useful anyways.

Just a little point to your example that is kinda irrelevat, but if you observe the situation from the marble's point of view, there isn't any movement at all!

Edit: If you read the wikipedia article on perpetual motion, you'll see this referred to as a perpetual motion machine of the third kind.

And again at Low fricition

Edited by skppo

As long as i can look at it and procrastinate hour after hour.... it is doing its work!!

IMHO for such an application adding energy to the system is acceptable as long as it can run for a finite but undefined -read more than a few seconds- amount of time.

Like this?

I just realized that no matter what, perpetual motion isn't possible. To have a perpetual motion device, you would have to have over 100% efficiency.

Just 100%, over 100% is producing energy. But we don't need 100% efficiency right? Just efficient enougth to be amazing, like that contraption.

Now I wonder, if that is an estimated 80%+ efficiency, how much is possible with Lego? Is it possible to create something like that and have it running for minutes?