Maybe a fourth rule: There are a number of sets for which alternative models have been developed, the so-called C-models. For some you have to pay a small fee for the (professional) instructions This gives you the opportunity to buy one set, but build multiple models. There are excellent C-models for sets like the 42009 (Mr Tekneex, Designer Han), but interestingly also for smaller sets (search for instance for users tomik and grohl666). There is a C-model index thread, but I have the impression it is not maintained.

I'm a bit experienced in Lego but not technic. I like Cars mainly. I wanted 42038 cause it has a nice alternate model. I like that Volvo ew160. I guess the off-roader would be good with the Volvo ew160. I've looked on the sets you guys told and that mobile crane looks very neat but because I don't live in the us or neither any European country. That Volvo ew160 has power functions and those pneumatics which I don't really know much about and is a good price. Since im not in america, eBay is easier to get than form amazon although amazon ships to my country too. I've seen some of sariel's workshop reviews ,such as the artic truck,off roader  and the crawler crane that was linked.

Spoiler

I like his pet hamster :D

Can get the crawler crane but I want to buy about 2 sets. For that claas xerion I guess it came it about a few time ago to store and it's expensive in all shops and ordering it is also expensive.  

Lao this leads me to buy the Volvo ew160, formula off roader and I forgot to mention I like that le mans car but it's too much to add up for buying it with ew160. Thx for all of your suggestions I have finally decided To go with those sets. Still this im learning

Since you like cars, the best combo would be 42038 and 42037, even I see an interesting project like building the 42038 B model,  but including the differential, wheels and fake engine of the 42037 or building a Monster truck. Don't forget that those are the oldest sets of the 3 that you are aiming and will be retired eventually. The 42053 will be found for the next 1.5 years in the stores oh, and it doesn't come with Power Functions . Just my 2 cents,  but the combo that you choose is really good. I also want the 42053:tongue:

16 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

Maybe a fourth rule: There are a number of sets for which alternative models have been developed, the so-called C-models. For some you have to pay a small fee for the (professional) instructions This gives you the opportunity to buy one set, but build multiple models. There are excellent C-models for sets like the 42009 (Mr Tekneex, Designer Han), but interestingly also for smaller sets (search for instance for users tomik and grohl666). There is a C-model index thread, but I have the impression it is not maintained.

Excellent fourth rule!  I learned to love 42039 because I liked the numerous C-Models for that set and believe me they are numerous (at least 7 that have published instructions).  The C-Model Index here at Eurobricks is good and mostly up to date.  One thing I discovered as I was searching for the 42042 video that Sariel made for my earlier post was a fabulous C Model by a guy who sells his models under the PV Productions company name.  He has a GBC (Great Ball Contraption) C Model that is available for purchase that after seeing it I bought it immediately (it's a zip file with an LDD file or an html file that both work).  It is built 100% from the 42042 model and makes what is an already compelling model even more so...  Trust me, the video is worth watching.  The only downside is that I just spent an hour of unproductive time trying to find the Lego Balls used in the model (he sells an alterate version on his website).

*Just in case someone is cynical about this plug, I don't know the company or the guy and he is located somewhere overseas (Europe?) which is why I didn't buy the balls from him.  

I just ordered a Volvo ew160 cause I couldn't find it in my nearby store. As for that off roader I'm still thinking about buying which. I might cancel it.

Edited by Troopospo

Two excellent online deals for some Lego Technic sets at Toys"R"Us that are lower than I have ever seen in the United States:

42042 - now $90 USD (MSRP is $150)

42030 - now $150 USD (MSRP is $250)

Deals as of December 9, 2016.  

Both deals are much lower than the more common 30% savings that is common a few months to a year after the initial release of a set.  My guess is that it's a combo of holiday deals and selling off inventory in anticipation of these sets going out of production.  Get them while they last!  I have both sets already but will be getting a second 42042 today!!!

10 hours ago, GBTechnic said:

Two excellent online deals for some Lego Technic sets at Toys"R"Us that are lower than I have ever seen in the United States:

42042 - now $90 USD (MSRP is $150)

42030 - now $150 USD (MSRP is $250)

Deals as of December 9, 2016.  

Both deals are much lower than the more common 30% savings that is common a few months to a year after the initial release of a set.  My guess is that it's a combo of holiday deals and selling off inventory in anticipation of these sets going out of production.  Get them while they last!  I have both sets already but will be getting a second 42042 today!!!

Both deals are sold out online... only in store inventory left and that's essentially gone too.  

Hi dude's and dudettes

Need moral support with the following two choices

Option 1

2x 42054 + 1× 42053=total parts 5120

Option 2

1x42055 + 1x 42054=total parts 5904

My feelings are 

1. 42053 love the pneumatic's:thumbup:
  2. 42054  the best set with ccrappie crane :thumbup::thumbup:
  3. 42055 nice to look at :cry_happy:

Thanking you in advance for your positive feedback/help

Edited by Siegfried Meyer
layout change

Option 1 unless you reaaaally want the unique parts from the BWE or have a mighty need for over 4 dozen beam frames. I like the log grabber on 42054, if only to show how well the model has captured the versatility of the real thing. Plus, you'd have a good pile of base parts for building both of efferman's mods :B

2 hours ago, Siegfried Meyer said:

My feelings are 

1. 42053 love the pneumatic's:thumbup:
  2. 42054  the best set with ccrappie crane :thumbup::thumbup:
  3. 42055 nice to look at :cry_happy:

If You are looking for parts, than check the inventories (f.e.: Brickset), and choose the ones, which contains the most usefull parts for You.
If You are looking for functions, display, MOCing, and You love Pneumatics, my personal advice is:

• AROCS (42043 - ultimate Technic set in my opinion, with every option Technic has nowadays :wub:)
  • VOLVO (42053, maybe 2x if You find it on sale)
  • CLAAS (42054) - to fulfill Your crappie crane need :tongue:

Happy thinking!

edit: sorry, I just see, I overlooked the numbers (xxx43/xxx53), but I still do recommend the AROCS - in case You don't have yet.:wink:

Edited by agrof
added note

3 hours ago, agrof said:

Happy thinking!

edit: sorry, I just see, I overlooked the numbers (xxx43/xxx53), but I still do recommend the AROCS - in case You don't have yet.:wink:

Arocs is there already, and agree fully:wink:

so option 1 was the choice , as I didn't see myself carrying the BWE box to the car :tongue:

600x867.jpg

thanks for the response gnac & agrof

Edited by Siegfried Meyer
changed pic size

2 hours ago, LvdH said:

I have found 8258 42039 and 8070 for about 250€, should I buy them or not? I know 8258 is a really good large set and 8070 and 42039 are nice parts packs. (suspension, lots of panels, a few rare red toggle joints, wheels)

All 3 complete sets for 250 euro (about $263 usd) would require no thought on my part.  Then again I rarely see deals on Technic in the USA.  There are a good number of European sellers on BL that sell new Technic sets for a fraction of what they cost here, so maybe it isn't as good of a deal for you.

14 hours ago, LvdH said:

I have found 8258 42039 and 8070 for about 250€, should I buy them or not? I know 8258 is a really good large set and 8070 and 42039 are nice parts packs. (suspension, lots of panels, a few rare red toggle joints, wheels)

Price is probably fair. 8258 is indeed a classic and prices are increasing. Currently two sets for 145 EUR at Marktplaats.nl. This means you would get 8258 and 42039 for 50 EUR each which is fair. I'm not a fan of 8070, but these two sets are indeed good part packs.

The only way to get 8258 cheaper is when somebody stops his Technic hobby and sells a whole lot for a fixed price. I got mine like this together with 8052, 8265, 8275, 8285,  8439, 8880 and 42009 ... :-)

I assume you already have 42042 ...

250 euro for those sets is a very good price imho, only 8258 makes it worth buying them. 8070 is nice too !

I haven't bought a set in some while.

Here's what I have: http://rebrickable.com/profile/LFiasco/sets

I also have the parts for Ultimate 8043.

I'm looking at Volvo Loader, Artic Truck, or the Class. This will probably be the only large purchase I make this year. I just want to build something big.

I also have a bunch of extra random parts and RC components.

Thanks for input

Your profile is private, so we can't see what you have. Go to your profile, click "edit your profile" and change the privacy to "public". :wink:

IMO you should get the Claas. If you already have Power Functions, this one can provide a lot of other parts. You can learn a lot from building this set because of it's complex functions. It also can provide more building time than the Arctic Truck, and is cheaper than the Volvo. I personally think it's one of the best Technic sets there is.

I'd agree with the Claas, but the Volvo loader is older, and will be discontinued soon, and become expensive. But, if you already have RC parts, get the Claas.

I would skip the arctic truck* (especially at MSRP), but either of the two mentioned are really great.  I'd also recommend getting a 42042 crawler crane before they become discontinued.  42054 was such a great buy before the holiday that I purchased two, but the 42030 also has neat functions.

* I bought mine at a much better price and still scrapped the main model for parts in the end.

Hey guys, 

Thanks for taking the time to comment. My profile has been made public.

Yes, that blue crawler crane is nice though. 

With the sets I have all I think I'd need for the Volvo would be the bucket anyways.

13 minutes ago, sdotcarter said:

Hey guys, 

With the sets I have all I think I'd need for the Volvo would be the bucket anyways.

I don't see it, probably because Rebrickable is upgrading to V3, and so it is in read-only mode.

If you find the Volvo loader you should get it, it is a good set and maybe you can find it at some discount. I would advise you to buy some 3rd party wheels for the loader, it would look much better with them.

The Class is very good too, but it will still be on the shelfs for some time.

Well, not really the question what should I buy as I own every single Technic set from 2013, but should I purchase all of them again for future investigation or not?

On 1/27/2017 at 9:28 PM, sdotcarter said:

Hey guys, 

I would buy the 42030 bucket plus spare parts necessary AND 42042 since it seems you don't have it.  Both sets are/will be out of production soon and are worthy purchases.  The Claas is the best set of the ones you listed but as others have said, it'll be around for at least another  1 to 1.5 years.  42030 can be had for 20-30% off new and sometimes cheaper used.  I would NOT buy the Article Truck... it's looks nice but unless you have wheels to swap for the tracks it's playability stinks.

11 hours ago, Jockos said:

Well, not really the question what should I buy as I own every single Technic set from 2013, but should I purchase all of them again for future investigation or not?

Assuming you were seriously asking a question vs gloating... I wouldn't buy a second set of any of the 2013 year except 41999 (if found for a deal) and 42009 (to mod/build an ultimate model).  All the others are worth one purchase but not two.