The Architect

Whats the rarest/oldest piece of Lego you have in your collections?

CopMike... did you let Maxx3001 see this image?? He'll trade away up to 2 of his children for this! Hehehehe.... :grin:

And since I have your attentions... CopMike... have you (or any other Swedish Eurobrick members) ever seen a 1:43 LEGO Chevrolet Truck or Wagon, like the ones I've shown earlier on this thread? I'm about 3/4 finished with a new mini-collectors guide for the 1952-57 LEGO 1:43 Chevrolet Trucks... and am trying to find out if these vehicles ever show up at Swedish flea markets, auctions or sales?? So far I know that these trucks were sold in Denmark, Norway (LEGO sales established 1953), and Iceland (LEGO sales establilshed 1955). In Sweden LEGO sales also started in 1955, but I have never seen anything to show if these 1:43 trucks were actually sold for the Swedish market... :sceptic:

Edited by LEGO Historian

This is more of a anomaly, but I guess it could be considered as rare:

11151985614_9d1e687546.jpg

11151991214_9771e673b6.jpg

11151943395_439b2f4c68.jpg

Looks like the factory ran out of molding or something and called it a day? I'm still on the fence about if this is a good thing or a bad thing. :sceptic:

Edited by TheRedGuy

Don't think I have any rare bricks as such but I do own (although somewhere in my parents attic) the Classic Town Square Castle Scene along with the Star Fleet Voyager, from 1980/81 (owned since then as well)

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=1592-1

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6929-1

Come to think of it I don't think I've seen the trans-blue (4x8) canopy for a longtime, although I'm sure someone can probably correct me on that.

My rarest piece of Lego is the black door of the 4886 Designer Set (it also comes with a red door). I found that it is the same door that was used later in the Café Corner set and so, due to high demand for this set, just the door is being sold for around US$15. Crazy!

CopMike... did you let Maxx3001 see this image?? He'll trade away up to 2 of his children for this! Hehehehe.... :grin:

I know, I´ve showed it to him and he waaaaaaants it badly :devil: !

And since I have your attentions... CopMike... have you (or any other Swedish Eurobrick members) ever seen a 1:43 LEGO Chevrolet Truck or Wagon, like the ones I've shown earlier on this thread?

Sorry, I don´t really check out auctions or flea markets. But you can post that question also in the swedish community Swebrick!

For rare, I got about 40 of these in green. BrickLink has them at about $3-3.5 each.

473326.jpg

And for old, maybe 4 to 6 of these torso and legs in varous colors:

664-1.jpg

Well, I have one mint con condiesh Kanohi Mask of Time, a purple Kaarta and a Gold and Silver Kanohi Hau. Not sure if those last two are super rare or not. But I think there cool!!!

Although LEGO wooden toys go back to 1932, the first LEGO plastic bricks sets go back only as far as 1949, with the introduction of the very first AUTOMATIC BINDING BRICKS sets of LEGO.

TLG (and all old time LEGO collectors) had always thought that the oldest LEGO sets were found in colorful cardboard boxes without the word LEGO on the box. However, this (pictured) extremely rare and previously unknow (to even TLG) wooden box set dates back to 1949... Day 1 of LEGO bricks. The white catalog confirms the legitimacy (and date) of this set.

This very rare box would be a proud addition to almost any museum collection... and the Billund TLG Collections are on the lookout for one of these.... If it were in my collection, I would insure it for $10,000!! :look:

8309991780_55a2e4af53_o_d.jpg

The crown jewel of my recent updates to my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide.... :classic:

Edited by LEGO Historian

Some of your stuff is much older than what I got. I have a few waffle pieces and few 1x1 window bricks from early 70's as well as a near complete life guard set with the stiff minifig (how it got in USA no idea, it appeared at a yard sale many years ago for a few dollars)

The rarest piece would have to be a deformed LEGO piece. LEGO has a rather tight quality control so few defective piece gets out. Offiicial non-damaged piece aside, it would be the 2x2x1/3 brick with wire from 6990 Monorail set. Only the very early sets came with plate that is one standard plate thick. Later issues all were 2 plates thick (or 2/3 brick) due to how easily the thin one broke,

Probably some 1960s windows, plates, and a few cars from when I was a teenager. I doubt they're rare, but hey, they're no longer made. :classic:

I have a mis-moulded hair/beard piece from the Collectible Minifigure caveman. It has chunks missing, making it look mangy. I got it new from TLG. It works well as a zombie hairpiece.

I also have a red wizard's hat. It's definitely LEGO but was never included in a set as far as I know. You can see it on the Red Wizard on the left of this picture: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AmperZand/Fantasy/wizards_witch_and_druid.jpg

My oldest parts only date back to the early 1990s when I came out of my DA, so not very old.

Don't have many old parts, so the oldest is probably some Homemaker headgears (bought to use for Fabuland figs).

As for rarest I think it would have to be this:

chrome_gold_plate_2x2_2_small.jpg

And yes, that one was chromed by TLG, it's not from ChromeBricks or any of those.

Don't think any of the elements I have that aren't Q-elements are very rare, guess the rarest would be the motor cover from 6399 Airport Shuttle.

I've got this misprint blended dwarf beard:

goddamnmisprint.JPG

I've also got milky white Zamor sphere from HF set Meltdown.

The old and somewhat-rare but not misprint pieces of my collection include some early 70s pieces that my father has when he was kid.

I've also got the famous black sword from the Armory shop. Got that set with loads of other 80s LEGO on great flea market bargain few years back.

7823505628_b87653ba39_n.jpg

I got 2 red wizard hats. I paid about 4 euros a piece for them about 2 years back. Currently there are 3 sellers and the price range varies from 20 to 30 euros!

I got 2 red wizard hats. I paid about 4 euros a piece for them about 2 years back. Currently there are 3 sellers and the price range varies from 20 to 30 euros!

I also got mine some years ago when the prices were more reasonable. I wouldn't get them at today's prices. It's a cool piece but not worth the inflated asking price you see them for now.

I'm not sure if these count or not but besides what I think is the whole collection (27?) of individual Technic Figures all with the correct heads, helmets etc., & their accessories I've got the 8712, 8714 & 8300 sets of figures still sealed inside their original unopened boxes.

7823505628_b87653ba39_n.jpg

The red wizard hats are probably test shots. Lego typically uses red to test new molds and tooling and look for flaws and problems. The test shots will then sometimes trickle out.

One of the most valuable LEGO sets of all time was sold in Denmark, Norway and Sweden only.

The 2 LEGO Mosaik sets of 1955-56 are so rare, that only 2 are known in private hands of the smaller set (1300), and none are known of the larger set (1301).

Here is the Billund Archive copy of the 1300 set. They actually had to buy this used set on the secondary market, since TLG never kept one in their collections....

8495742582_9b40a6a338_b_d.jpg

The only other known copy is a MISB example in a Dutch museum.

Here is a 1955 Swedish department store LEGO display in Göteburg Sweden. The 1300 and 1301 Mosaik sets are seen stacked up on the far left side.... $$$$$

5104837415_fa6c730390_b_d.jpg

Why are these sets so very very rare and valuable (worth probably $2000-$5000)???

Well what happened was that TLG wanted to sell their spare parts packs series of sets. So the 1300 and 1301 sets NEVER had enough parts to actually build what was on the box top or in the instructions!! :hmpf_bad: So they thought that customers who bought this set woudl buy the additional spare parts packs to make a larger number of mosaic designs. However, when purchasers of this set got home, and saw that they could NOT build what was promised... they got mad and returned the set to the retailer. And the retailers returned the unpurchased sets back to TLG... :sceptic: (Note: that blank cardboard insert in the 1300 box could be flipped upside down and spare parts pack purchases could be stored in that former dead space!)

This story and more are talke about in Chapter 4 of my Collectors Guide... :wink:

Edited by LEGO Historian

Not the oldest, but probably the rarest items of my collection:

1. German game of dice, dated 1984. As you can see, I used to play it when I was younger.

spiel4iagj.jpg

2. Key chain, received it during an local building event in 1985. Never believed it would be something special until I found it at Bricklink.

schlsselanhnger1qdyet.jpg

schlsselanhnger2w6a9b.jpg

I have about 500 pre ABS pre tube bricks with the old Lego logo, red and white, along with a number of wheels, base-plates, and other parts from that era.